Fatdog64-520 beta 1

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
Billtoo

#16 Post by Billtoo »

kirk wrote:
The verdict: forget about installing the proprietary video driver
on a DVD+RW disk.
Was that with a Nvidia card too?
Yes, the same nvidia 8600gt.It booted straight to the desktop.

I'm having to boot "fatdog nomodeset pfix=vesa" on another pc that has a ati card in it. It's a frugal install and after rebooting and making a save file the screen comes up almost unusable.I guess I'll have to wait until an ati pet is available, I've had no luck trying to install the proprietary driver, x won't start after the driver is finished compiling.

kirk

#17 Post by kirk »

Bill,

Did you have the same results with the ATI box and 511? Could you try booting radeon.modeset=1. I have a Radeon hd500 which works poorly by default, but it did with 511 too. The radeonhd driver works well with it though. To use the radeonhd driver run the Xorgwizard from the menu to create a detailed xorg.conf. Then edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf and change the driver from "radeon" to "radeonhd".

I uploaded a Seamonkey-2.1 pet to the repo. Thinking about making a Firefox iso and a Seamonkey iso.

rcrsn51

Re: Fatdog64-520 beta 1

#18 Post by rcrsn51 »

kirk wrote:Cups-1.4.5 (No libusb, I hope. Configure options have changed.)
This looks good. Drivers that need to access /dev/usb/lp0 should now work.

playdayz

#19 Post by playdayz »

This is Firefox 5.0 b7. It's the fastest gecko-based browser I have tested--and about 10% faster on Fatdog than on Lucid. I did nothing in terms of optimization so it should run on any cpu that runs Fatdog. It was compiled in FD 520 beta 1.

Code: Select all

./configure --prefix=/usr --disable-dbus --disable-hal --disable-crashreporter --enable-strip --enable-application=suite --disable-libnotify
http://diddywahdiddy.net/Puppy500/firef ... 7-fd64.pet

kirk, the radeonhd driver seems to have solved the problem I reported.

kirk

#20 Post by kirk »

playdayz,

Did you have the same problem with 511 and that radeon? Did you try radeon.modeset=1? Really need that info.

James C

#21 Post by James C »

Fatdog64-520 live multi-session dvd. Initial boot had working and correct sound,internet and display.

-Computer-
Processor : 4x AMD Athlon(tm) II X4 620 Processor
Memory : 3796MB (263MB used)
Operating System : Puppy Linux 0.50
User Name : root (root)
Date/Time : Tue 21 Jun 2011 09:14:01 PM GMT+5
-Display-
Resolution : 1366x768 pixels
OpenGL Renderer : Software Rasterizer
X11 Vendor : The X.Org Foundation
-Multimedia-
Audio Adapter : HDA-Intel - HDA NVidia
Audio Adapter : PC-Speaker - pcsp
Audio device : nVidia Corporation MCP61 High Definition Audio
VGA compatible controller : nVidia Corporation C61 [GeForce 7025 / nForce 630a]

# glxgears
2481 frames in 5.0 seconds = 496.179 FPS
2517 frames in 5.0 seconds = 503.386 FPS
2540 frames in 5.0 seconds = 507.864 FPS
2551 frames in 5.0 seconds = 510.005 FPS
2553 frames in 5.0 seconds = 510.537 FPS
2525 frames in 5.0 seconds = 504.867 FPS
2587 frames in 5.0 seconds = 517.368 FPS

playdayz

#22 Post by playdayz »

kirk wrote:playdayz,

Did you have the same problem with 511 and that radeon? Did you try radeon.modeset=1? Really need that info.
No, as I remember there was no problem with FD 511 and the radeon. I will test modeset. As I recall, in Lucid we used a file to activate that (modeset=1 for radeons) all of the time. I will boot Lucid and tell you what it was.
Last edited by playdayz on Wed 22 Jun 2011, 02:45, edited 2 times in total.

kirk

#23 Post by kirk »

No, as I remember there was no problem with FD 511 and the radeon. I will test modeset. As I recall, in Lucid we used a file to activate that (modeset=1 for radeons) all of the time. I will boot Lucid and tell you what it was.
Yes, that would be set in modprobe.d. radeon.modeset=1 actually breaks my box with the hd5500, but it's connected to a TV by a HDMI cable. So maybe HDMI is not well supported by the KMS driver. That's why I'm asking to see what would be the best default.

playdayz

#24 Post by playdayz »

Results: I edited the boot parameters and inserted radeon.modeset=1. I had previously verified that the radeon driver was specified in xorg.conf. Xorg started to a frozen screen, with a predominantly white pattern on it Wink After CTRL-ALT-BS, I had a blank screen. I did this twice. When I used radeon.modeset=0, the boot process failed to get even to starting X.

I misremembered, in lucid we have a file /etc/modprobe.d/i915.conf that contains options i915 modeset=1. I do remember that 945G and a few others were a pain without that (but we don have that for radeon).

The radeonhd driver seems to be working well. Oh, I should say this card is an HD 3850. (I also have a 4650 I can test.)

I moved these down here.

Billtoo

#25 Post by Billtoo »

kirk wrote:Bill,

Did you have the same results with the ATI box and 511? Could you try booting radeon.modeset=1. I have a Radeon hd500 which works poorly by default, but it did with 511 too. The radeonhd driver works well with it though. To use the radeonhd driver run the Xorgwizard from the menu to create a detailed xorg.conf. Then edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf and change the driver from "radeon" to "radeonhd".
I swapped the monitor for another one, the one I was using has an hdmi
port and it seems to cause problems with anything other than vesa.
But on other pups I can install the proprietary driver and it's okay
after doing that.

My menu.lst line is this:
kernel /fatdog520b1/vmlinuz pmedia=atahd psubdir=fatdog520b1 fatdog radeon.modeset=1 pfix=fsck

The xorg.conf is:
#Special base config file used in Puppy Linux.

Section "ServerFlags"
Option "AllowMouseOpenFail" "true"
Option "AutoAddDevices" "False" # No HAL
Option "DontZap" "false"
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "Configured Video Device"
#Driver "radeonhd"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Configured Monitor"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Default Screen"
Monitor "Configured Monitor"
Device "Configured Video Device"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Keyboard0"
Driver "kbd"
Option "XkbRules" "xorg"
Option "XkbModel" "pc102"
Option "XkbLayout" "us"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Mouse0"
Driver "mouse"
Option "Protocol" "IMPS/2" #mouse0protocol
Option "MatchDevicePath" "/dev/mouse"
#Option "Emulate3Buttons"
#Option "Emulate3Timeout" "50"
Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5" #scrollwheel
EndSection

If I change the menu.lst line it throws a wrench into the works and
x won't start.
It boots to the desktop everytime this way, videos play fine.
# glxgears
3550 frames in 5.0 seconds = 709.835 FPS
3559 frames in 5.0 seconds = 711.612 FPS
3562 frames in 5.0 seconds = 712.353 FPS
Display
Resolution 1440x900 pixels
Vendor The X.Org Foundation
Version 1.9.5
OpenGL
Vendor Mesa Project
Renderer Software Rasterizer
Version 2.1 Mesa 7.10.2
Direct Rendering Yes

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#26 Post by Lobster »

You mean fatdog pfix=ram if booting from CD or just pfix=ram from GRUB.
:oops: I forgot to use 'fatdog pfix=ram' instead of 'puppy pfix=ram', basically that would explain why the old settings were retained . . . most puplets use 'puppy pfix=ram' method - many thanks :)
Last edited by Lobster on Wed 22 Jun 2011, 09:43, edited 1 time in total.
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

Ray MK

#27 Post by Ray MK »

Hi kirk

Booted from CD on my new laptop (e-machines E732)
after copying FD-520.sfs to sda3 NTFS partition.

Within a matter of only a few seconds I’m looking at a fully populated desktop. Fantastic.

Edited xorg.conf to setup touch-pad (before I noticed Adjust Touch Pad in the Setup menu), restarted X and all good.

Set timezone and locale, noticed frisbee was a bit slow to allocate an IP address, (I like frisbee and pwireless but on this particular laptop they don’t seem so happy - not sure why), so I used the Network Wizard to setup wifi - nice, ultra quick, fairly easy and seems to be a good belt and braces alternative for when frisbee doesn’t want to play.

Installed htop-0.9x86_64.pet from FD64-511 (works fine) and then installed JRB’s SFS-TCZ_Linker-2.2.pet, loaded Opera-11.11x86_64.sfs on the fly (ie live - no save_file) and bingo - here I am.

Very nice puppy, very frugal on resources and seems to be even faster than FD64-511, must be special FD64-520 magic and the new kernel.

Many, many thanks to all involved in the making making of this absolutely superb puppy.

Much appreciation and very best regards - Ray.
Attachments
hardinfo_report.html.bz2
(4.29 KiB) Downloaded 394 times

kirk

#28 Post by kirk »

Bill,
x won't start.
So when not using HDMI, you have to have radeon.modset=1 on your kernel line or you get a black screen, correct? If you're using the HDMI port vesa is the only working option? If your kernel line was this:

kernel /fatdog520b1/vmlinuz pmedia=atahd psubdir=fatdog520b1 pfix=fsck

and you're connected to HDMI you get a black screen?

Same results with 511?

Playdaz,

Are you using HdMI?

Ray MK,

Thanks for the report. Sorry about the ironlake graphics :)

Billtoo

#29 Post by Billtoo »

[
Last edited by Billtoo on Wed 22 Jun 2011, 16:05, edited 1 time in total.

Billtoo

#30 Post by Billtoo »

Billtoo wrote:
kirk wrote:Bill,
x won't start.
So when not using HDMI, you have to have radeon.modset=1 on your kernel line or you get a black screen, correct?

It boots up and when it tries to load x it fails and I am left at the prompt,if I enter xorgwizard two or three times and then xwin it will go to the desktop.
If you're using the HDMI port vesa is the only working option?

myke

#31 Post by myke »

I did an update: 511-->520. Booted up right into the desktop with WPA2 wifi accessed from frisbee automatically.

Had a problem with firefox 4.01 but had seamonkey. So, I checked: lost symbolic link to Downloads in fatdog64 directory. (Own fault as had renamed original directory to fatdog64-old). Remade link as absolute from spot directory.

Tried firefox again from menu and then from desktop, failed. Tried from console from rox-firefox on /usr/local/bin failed with no application.ini.

Downloaded firefox 5.0 - Aurora via wget -c into Downloads and installed successfully.

Thank you,

myke
AA1 D255E-keucr slacko 5.3;luci;mijnpup; tw-os; with:Emacs,gawk,noteboxmismanager,treesheets, freeplane, libreoffice, tkoutline, Sigil, calibre, calendar. magic&Noteliner(wine), kamas (DOS)

myke

Further Report

#32 Post by myke »

Somehow, my hardware clock preferences were lost during the update and so I edited rc.country by hand to get UTC hwclock with my time zone.

Firefox is very fast and responsive (I don't use NoScript but use dictionaries for the languages I use plus adblock plus, element helper and no popup plus ghostery without the alert showing).

All in all, like it very much.

myke
AA1 D255E-keucr slacko 5.3;luci;mijnpup; tw-os; with:Emacs,gawk,noteboxmismanager,treesheets, freeplane, libreoffice, tkoutline, Sigil, calibre, calendar. magic&Noteliner(wine), kamas (DOS)

playdayz

#33 Post by playdayz »

Playdaz,

Are you using HdMI?
HD 3850 is using the analog connector for a Viewsonic A90. radeon.modeset=1 was added to the menu.lst for grub booting. With modeset the computer boots to a frozen white screen--it's like the monitor can't handle the signal. I think the pattern on the screen changes when hitting the keyboard. CTRL-Alt-BS changes to a blank screen. Booting the CD with fatdog radeon.modeset=1 gives the same behavior, except the frozen screen is multi-colored. After CTRL-Alt-BS the light on the monitor goes out after a few seconds of the blank screen.

HD 4650 is using the DVI connector for an Acer 1680x1050 LCD monitor. radeon.modeset=1 was added to the boot parameters booting the CD (fatdog radeon.modeset=1). This one booted to a blank screen--and after a few seconds the light on the monitor went off as if it weren't getting a signal.

Without radeon.modeset=1, both computers boot with the radeon driver and have the problem with bad movement on screen and bad scrolling. After changing to the radeonhd driver, both cards work fine.

Billtoo

Fatdog64-520 beta 1

#34 Post by Billtoo »

I did a full install on my acer desktop which has the nvidia 8600gt
graphics card in it.
I used sfs_load-1.1.pet to load the devx and I used the bootmanager to
blacklist the nouveau kernel module.
Then changed the kernel line in the menu.lst file to:

kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/sda1 ro fatdog nomodeset pfix=vesa

and rebooted,exited to the prompt and ran the NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-275.09.07.run
driver,did xwin to get back to the desktop, and changed the menu.lst line
back to original.

OpenGL
Vendor NVIDIA Corporation
Renderer GeForce 8600 GT/PCI/SSE2
Version 3.3.0 NVIDIA 275.09.07
Direct Rendering Yes
# glxgears
51323 frames in 5.0 seconds = 10264.538 FPS
51360 frames in 5.0 seconds = 10271.984 FPS
51392 frames in 5.0 seconds = 10278.376 FPS

that's better.

myke

zile

#35 Post by myke »

As I said before, I like Emacs and I had tried and failed to get a 64bit Ubuntu package to install in fatdog64.

So I did the next best thing, which is to compile zile, a CLI, mini-version clone of Emacs. I attach a pet, which installs to /usr/local/bin but it runs from any console.

myke
Attachments
zile-2.3.23-i686.pet
simplified CLI Emacs clone installing to /usr/local/bin
(122.17 KiB) Downloaded 529 times
Last edited by myke on Thu 23 Jun 2011, 16:29, edited 1 time in total.