[FINISHED] CompizPup - an experiment

Window managers, icon programs, widgets, etc.
peebee

[FINISHED] CompizPup - an experiment

#1 Post by peebee »

This project is in hibernation - I don't intend to make any further issues.

Compiz adds all sorts of bling and effects to the desktop.
Compiz is a compositing window manager for the X Window System, using 3D graphics hardware to create fast compositing desktop effects for window management.
Compiz can be added to LxPup14.02 (Slacko flavour only) or Slacko with LxPup-by-SFS

THIS IS A BIT OF FUN EXPERIMENT - PLEASE TRY AND USE WITH CAUTION - FRUGAL INSTALL WITH NO PRE-EXISTING SAVEFILE IS STRONGLY RECOMMENDED

Some of the infrastructure comes from the Compiz produced by 01micko however I have removed the logic to try and test your system for Compiz compatibility as I wasn't certain it was working correctly.

You do therefore need to make sure that your video and driver have sufficient capabilities to run Compiz - the easiest way may just be to try it.

I have tested on my laptop with intel/i915 and on my desktop with both nouveau and nvidia (both 304.88 and 173.14 versions).

FOR LxPup13.11 see post #27

So to begin for Slacko5.6, you first need to obtain 2 * sfs and the pet attached below.

Download the LxPup-by-SFS sfs - md5sum= fceb71b4fae443101871cb8fd9f54ecb lxpup-by-sfs_S.5.6.04.sfs c. 15MB
Download the Compiz (with Python) sfs - md5sum= 4c20a5596e55ab401362c8f6aefb6922 compiz_python_lxpup-0.8.8.sfs c. 17MB

Save the sfs's in a location where they can be installed (with sfs-load-on-the-fly recommended).

on a pristine frugal install of Slacko5.6:
  • 1. install lxpup-by-sfs_S.5.6.04.sfs
    2. install compiz_python_lxpup-0.8.8.sfs
    3. install the setup pet attached and answer the questions to modify your system
    4. activate by clicking the displayed button
    5. reboot and create savefile - essential to complete installation
The only oddity I know about is that the panel does not appear on subsequent desktops unless there is an open window already present on the previous desktop. I don't know if this is the expected behaviour or not.

and...I can't find a way to stop gtk-dialog appearing on the panel....

Have fun!! but report any findings....
Cheers
peebee
Last edited by peebee on Thu 29 Sep 2016, 06:08, edited 44 times in total.
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

rhadon

#2 Post by rhadon »

Hi peebee,

I use and like Compiz with Puppy since I'm posting here in the forum :D .

I also use Slacko at least since Mick provided his compiz.sfs., which works fine for me with all versions of Slacko, only with the newest one (slacko-5.6) there is a small problem. The auto hide function of the jwm tray bar doesn't work anymore. I guess, that the problem is a new version of jwm.

So can you tell me please, does it work for you with Lxde?

Btw. the 'Enhanced Zoom Desktop' option (in your screenshot it's unticked :wink: ) is a very useful option. Works with super key + mouse wheel. With german keyboard layout I have to change Xkb model pc102 to pc104 or pc105. Don't know about uk layout :oops: .

It's good to know, there are more ways to get Compiz :D .

Thank you,
Rolf
Last edited by rhadon on Mon 26 Aug 2013, 06:00, edited 1 time in total.
Ich verwende "frugal", und das ist gut so. :wink:
Raspberry Pi without Puppy? No, thanks.

peebee

#3 Post by peebee »

rhadon wrote:The auto hide function of the jwm tray bar doesn't work anymore. I guess, that the problem is a new version of jwm.

So can you tell me please, does it work for you with Lxde?
Hi Rolf

Auto hide of the panel (lxpanelx in lxpup-by-sfs) seems to work ok for me.

Cheers
peebee
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

peebee

Update

#4 Post by peebee »

29-aug-2013

The link to LxPup-by-SFS and the setup pet attachment in post #1 have been updated.

01micko

#5 Post by 01micko »

Wonderful job Peter!

I'll give it a bit more rigorous testing and will add it to the sfs_manager for the next!

You have got to love compiz! It is serious fun :)

BTW, does this lxpup sfs run stand alone without compiz sfs? If that is the case it will just affect the description I put in the sfs manager. No biggie if it doesn't.

Cheers!
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

peebee

#6 Post by peebee »

01micko wrote:BTW, does this lxpup sfs run stand alone without compiz sfs? If that is the case it will just affect the description I put in the sfs manager. No biggie if it doesn't.

Cheers!
Hi Mick

It does - but with the different setup pet found at:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=85259

plus there is no need for the devx

Cheers
Peter

01micko

#7 Post by 01micko »

peebee wrote: It does - but with the different setup pet found at:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=85259

plus there is no need for the devx
Noted, thanks! :)

EDIT: Just one problem. The filemanager window opens up a bit too big. My res (on this box) is 1366x768. I'd suggest 800x600 as a good default, or even less as compiz runs fine on my eee-701SD with 800x480 res, so maybe 600x400?
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

peebee

#8 Post by peebee »

01micko wrote:EDIT: Just one problem. The filemanager window opens up a bit too big. My res (on this box) is 1366x768. I'd suggest 800x600 as a good default, or even less as compiz runs fine on my eee-701SD with 800x480 res, so maybe 600x400?
Yep - noticed that - found the problem - have reuploaded the setup pet on 1-sep-13 after download 10.

Thanks
PeeBee

pchan

#9 Post by pchan »

Thanks,

I could get compiz using this method.

But unfortunately, my windows lost the top part windows title where the close button is usually located. Without the top part, it is hard to do double click and maximize or minimize windows.

peebee

#10 Post by peebee »

pchan wrote:Thanks,

I could get compiz using this method.

But unfortunately, my windows lost the top part windows title where the close button is usually located. Without the top part, it is hard to do double click and maximize or minimize windows.
Did you reboot and create a savefile? You need to do that to complete the installation.....

Cheers!

pchan

#11 Post by pchan »

Thanks peebee

I have already created a save file earlier for slacko 5.6 . The top part title and close button strip is not appearing in every windows even after a reboot.

I don't know whether i should it try with slacko 5.5 or it is supposed to work on slacko 5.6. It sure didn't work for me in getting the window appearance right. Other compiz features functions ok.

I even tried changing the screen resolution but no luck. In the compiz settings, windows decoration is already ticked. I tried un tick it and tick it again but it didn't work.

I am the only one with this problem?

peebee

#12 Post by peebee »

pchan wrote:Thanks peebee

I have already created a save file earlier for slacko 5.6 . The top part title and close button strip is not appearing in every windows even after a reboot.

I don't know whether i should it try with slacko 5.5 or it is supposed to work on slacko 5.6. It sure didn't work for me in getting the window appearance right. Other compiz features functions ok.

I even tried changing the screen resolution but no luck. In the compiz settings, windows decoration is already ticked. I tried un tick it and tick it again but it didn't work.

I am the only one with this problem?
Should work fine on Slacko 5.6 - can you start again from scratch with a pristine savefile and see if that works?

Nobody else has reported this problem so far.

Cheers
peebee

pchan

#13 Post by pchan »

Thanks peebee!

I did as you suggested and started from scratch. After rebooting, everything is perfect! Really nice to have compiz working! The compiz effects makes it feel like things are responding faster (although it might just be in the mind).

Thanks

pchan

peebee

Update 8-sep-13

#14 Post by peebee »

UPDATE 8-sep-13

The setup pet in post#1 has been updated to correspond with the new version of LxPup-by-SFS.

Please visit the LxPup-by-SFS thread for advice on updating if you have made any panel customisations.

pchan

#15 Post by pchan »

Thanks peebee,

Compiz is working great on slacko 5.6.

I am very happy because by hitting Shift+Super(Win)+x, I could make 2 windows tile side by side. This is what I have been hoping so long to see in LXDE.

Unfortunately though, enhanced Zooming featur is not working for me.

Enhanced Zooming is one of the most valuable feature in compiz because it helps someone with weak eye sight like me. I cannot find anything like enhanced zooming in windows xp/7 or anywhere else. That alone makes compiz so valuable.

Anyway, other compiz effects are also nice and lively.

peebee

pet update

#16 Post by peebee »

22-sep-13

The setup pet attached to post #1 has been updated to version 021.

The sfs now has Python included - compiz_python_lxpup-0.8.8.sfs

The new version is brought into line with the Change Appearance utility in LxPup-by-SFS and also has the improved installation/activation and deactivation facilities.

Cheers
peebee

Fabio T

Re: Compiz on LxPup-by-SFS on Slacko - an experiment

#17 Post by Fabio T »

Have you tried with any other Puppy distro?

I've tried with Precise but it don't works because after installaton, compiz is inactive, and when I try to launch it by command line it complains:

"compiz: error while loading shared libraries: libxcb-aux.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory"

I can't try this missing library, I've tried with libxcb-utiling to hes but it is already installed.

I've tried with packets inside PPM but again fails.

Slacko working fine, but lacks of drive icons on desktop and other icons (how can I do to obtain again on screen? manual setup?)

Can you tell me something?

Thank you for your help.

Fabio

peebee

Re: Compiz on LxPup-by-SFS on Slacko - an experiment

#18 Post by peebee »

Fabio T wrote:Have you tried with any other Puppy distro?

I've tried with Precise but it don't works because after installaton, compiz is inactive, and when I try to launch it by command line it complains:

"compiz: error while loading shared libraries: libxcb-aux.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory"

I can't try this missing library, I've tried with libxcb-utiling to hes but it is already installed.

I've tried with packets inside PPM but again fails.

Slacko working fine, but lacks of drive icons on desktop and other icons (how can I do to obtain again on screen? manual setup?)

Can you tell me something?

Thank you for your help.

Fabio
Hi Fabio

I'm afraid that this version is only for Slacko and won't work on any other Puppy.

You don't really need desktop drive icons with pcmanfm - devices appear in the left pane of the pcmanfm window.

If you must have icons on the desktop then try adding desktop-drive-icons-0.0.5

For other icons - try copying and then pasting onto the desktop...../usr/share/applications is where all applications can be found.

Cheers
peebee
Last edited by peebee on Wed 02 Oct 2013, 15:53, edited 1 time in total.

Fabio T

#19 Post by Fabio T »

@Peebee: thank you very much. I'll try as soon as possible.

peebee

Update 6-oct-13

#20 Post by peebee »

The setup pet in post #1 has been updated to match the latest version of the LxPup-by-SFS SFS.....