Other Distros

Puppy related raves and general interest that doesn't fit anywhere else
nooby

#796 Post by nooby »

Can ConnochaetOS be installed frugal or
does it have to be full install?

Godano made it possible for frugal.
Sad that he lost all of his code due to no backup.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

bark_bark_bark

#797 Post by bark_bark_bark »

I installed slackware 14, but so far no luck to getting it to boot. I am probably going to wait until slacko 5.4 stable before adding it to my multiboot usb drive to get slackware to boot. I am not really in a rush to boot into it.

Colonel Panic

#798 Post by Colonel Panic »

nooby wrote:Can ConnochaetOS be installed frugal or
does it have to be full install?

Godano made it possible for frugal.
Sad that he lost all of his code due to no backup.
I think it has to be a full install, but I'm not sure - the ConnochaetOS forum is probably the best place to ask.

A quick update; just tested the alpha release of AntiX 12.5, and it's looking good, as is the latest release of Absolute except for the lack of package / dependency handling - a common fault with Slack-based distros but one Salix has managed to overcome (and I think Zenwalk too).
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

Monsie

Other Distros

#799 Post by Monsie »

I see that the fourth Alpha release of Haiku is out today... and over 1000 bugs have been fixed since Alpha release three. Supposedly, it is a stable enough platform now for third party developers.

Apparently, it will run on as little as 128 mb of ram... and has been tested on a Pentium ll @400mhz --sound familiar? :wink:

Has anyone besides sneekylinux had a go at trying this distro? Colonel Panic?

Monsie
My [u]username[/u] is pronounced: "mun-see". Derived from my surname, it was my nickname throughout high school.

Colonel Panic

Re: Other Distros

#800 Post by Colonel Panic »

Monsie wrote:I see that the fourth Alpha release of Haiku is out today... and over 1000 bugs have been fixed since Alpha release three. Supposedly, it is a stable enough platform now for third party developers.

Apparently, it will run on as little as 128 mb of ram... and has been tested on a Pentium ll @400mhz --sound familiar? :wink:

Has anyone besides sneekylinux had a go at trying this distro? Colonel Panic?

Monsie
Hi,

No, I'm still using Mint, which looks pretty good right now. I may consider Haiku in the future though.
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

James C

#801 Post by James C »

Just discovered that NimbleX is back after a period of inactivity. NimbleX 2012 Beta......
http://forum.nimblex.net/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4166

Just gave it a quick live run....not bad. Full KDE4 with most everything included,newer up to date kernel and no, it's not 200 mb anymore. :lol:

nooby

#802 Post by nooby »

Cool thanks for telling us. As I get it?
Nimblex where a kind of Slax or Slackware
with a personal touch? How does it work
compared to Proteus and other Slax versions?

stu91

#803 Post by stu91 »

Currently running Bodhi Linux 2.1.0 - a little disappointing imo 100+ mb increase in download size and 20-30mb increase in ram usage on my laptop from the previous version.

Been a while since i last tried crunchbang but think i will give that a go next.

Colonel Panic

#804 Post by Colonel Panic »

stu91 wrote:Currently running Bodhi Linux 2.1.0 - a little disappointing imo 100+ mb increase in download size and 20-30mb increase in ram usage on my laptop from the previous version.

Been a while since i last tried crunchbang but think i will give that a go next.
Good idea IMO; Crunchbang's a bit dark for my taste but you can change that and it works very well even on an older machine.

The latest one I've tried is Sabayon X (Xfce version); the download was ridiculously slow but when I finally got there I found it to be a good distro with attractive wallpaper.

James C

#805 Post by James C »

nooby wrote:Cool thanks for telling us. As I get it?
Nimblex where a kind of Slax or Slackware
with a personal touch? How does it work
compared to Proteus and other Slax versions?
All three are based on Slackware and use the Linux Live Scripts, or modified Linux Live Scripts in the case of Porteus. The previous versions of NimbleX were much smaller,200 mb or less, and mainly intended to run live or frugally.The newest Beta release is over 400 mb now.
I have no idea about running on NTFS though.... :)

Bligh

#806 Post by Bligh »

Has anyone tried Slax 7 ? I have it running on a Dell laptop 486.
Cheers

amigo

#807 Post by amigo »

The *special* thing about NimbleX is that it lets you choose which programs to include in the iso you download. That means no more arguments about which text editor, browser, etc., should be included. No more need for all these derivatives which detract from the main release.

cowboy

word

#808 Post by cowboy »

_redacted.
[i]"you fix what you can fix and you let the rest go.."[/i] - Cormac McCarthy - No Country For Old Men.

stu91

#809 Post by stu91 »

Colonel Panic wrote:
stu91 wrote:Currently running Bodhi Linux 2.1.0 - a little disappointing imo 100+ mb increase in download size and 20-30mb increase in ram usage on my laptop from the previous version.

Good idea IMO; Crunchbang's a bit dark for my taste but you can change that and it works very well even on an older machine.

The latest one I've tried is Sabayon X (Xfce version); the download was ridiculously slow but when I finally got there I found it to be a good distro with attractive wallpaper.
Yes its been a while since i last used Crunchbang (pre puppy) if i remember it was pretty much all black.

Decided to crunchify Bodhi - base ram usage is about 75mb now so not to shabby, think i will leave it installed for a bit :D

Colonel Panic

#810 Post by Colonel Panic »

stu91 wrote:
Colonel Panic wrote:

Yes its been a while since i last used Crunchbang (pre puppy) if i remember it was pretty much all black.

Decided to crunchify Bodhi - base ram usage is about 75mb now so not to shabby, think i will leave it installed for a bit :D

That looks really good. Love the wallpaper. Solar eclipse, a recent one?

Also, is that Conky in the background? I like the config there.

Colonel Panic

#811 Post by Colonel Panic »

Zenwalk 7.2, which I installed today, is another good one IMO; just one app per function but they're all good and Youtube videos play"out of the box."

sketchman

#812 Post by sketchman »

nooby wrote:Has any of you tested this one from Bell Lab?
The creators of Unix?
This one is named Plan9 and link is here
http://plan9.bell-labs.com/plan9/
Just tried this, failed miserably, and then read up on it. The principles behind the design are great, but it's just not usable, as a modern desktop OS at all. It's a shame too, because just reading the design principles makes me want for it to have left Linux in the dust years ago. Things could have been SOOO much nicer, and it would have been a dream base for Puppy. You know when you read about something that made perfect sense, should have been great, but got no attention for whatever reason and fizzled out of mainstream? That's Plan9, sadly.

Sorry if this was already addressed. I found the post with a Google search and there are too many pages of posts after it to bother reading them all now.

Is there a flavor of Linux that uses the Puppy style of "it's your computer, do what you will with it" root-for-all goodness that I love so much WITH complete support for a mainstream distro's repos?

Puppy gets closer to this all the time it seems(and it will be great when it happens), but still there is now too.
"In a world that exists without walls and fences, who needs Windows and Gates?"

nooby

#813 Post by nooby »

Thanks sketchman happy that you cared about it.
I know almost nothing about software so I just love
to read about people who have dreams and then sadly
their dreams does not get enough support for to find out
if it would had work in real life.

But we have at least Linux and hope we can keep it
so that the Patent Troll not sue us for using it. :)

Colonel Panic

#814 Post by Colonel Panic »

sketchman wrote:
nooby wrote:Has any of you tested this one from Bell Lab?
The creators of Unix?
This one is named Plan9 and link is here
http://plan9.bell-labs.com/plan9/
Just tried this, failed miserably, and then read up on it. The principles behind the design are great, but it's just not usable, as a modern desktop OS at all. It's a shame too, because just reading the design principles makes me want for it to have left Linux in the dust years ago. Things could have been SOOO much nicer, and it would have been a dream base for Puppy. You know when you read about something that made perfect sense, should have been great, but got no attention for whatever reason and fizzled out of mainstream? That's Plan9, sadly.

Sorry if this was already addressed. I found the post with a Google search and there are too many pages of posts after it to bother reading them all now.

Is there a flavor of Linux that uses the Puppy style of "it's your computer, do what you will with it" root-for-all goodness that I love so much WITH complete support for a mainstream distro's repos?

Puppy gets closer to this all the time it seems(and it will be great when it happens), but still there is now too.
Eric S. Raymond wrote a good article about Plan 9 once. Here it is;

http://www.faqs.org/docs/artu/plan9.html

Raymond says this amongst other things;

"Why didn't it take over the world?

One could argue for a lot of specific reasons — lack of any serious effort to market it, scanty documentation, much confusion and stumbling over fees and licensing. For those unfamiliar with Plan 9, it seemed to function mainly as a device for generating interesting papers on operating-systems research. But Unix itself had previously surmounted all these sorts of obstacles to attract a dedicated following that spread it worldwide. Why didn't Plan 9?

The long view of history may tell a different story, but in 2003 it looks like Plan 9 failed simply because it fell short of being a compelling enough improvement on Unix to displace its ancestor. Compared to Plan 9, Unix creaks and clanks and has obvious rust spots, but it gets the job done well enough to hold its position. There is a lesson here for ambitious system architects: the most dangerous enemy of a better solution is an existing codebase that is just good enough."

sketchman

#815 Post by sketchman »

Colonel Panic wrote:Compared to Plan 9, Unix creaks and clanks and has obvious rust spots, but it gets the job done well enough to hold its position. There is a lesson here for ambitious system architects: the most dangerous enemy of a better solution is an existing codebase that is just good enough."
I read that too, thought about how infected the world is with Windows despite the plethora of Linux distros available, and had to smile and chuckle a bit.

It's funny how "just good enough" can hold the world back so easily.

I'm using Absolute 14.01 now and loving it. Logged in as root(with NO password :twisted: ) for good, set up XFCE4, and will enjoy the luxury of a mainstream package repo for a good long while, ....hopefully :D .
"In a world that exists without walls and fences, who needs Windows and Gates?"