Other Distros

Puppy related raves and general interest that doesn't fit anywhere else
Colonel Panic

#736 Post by Colonel Panic »

I've tried DSL too and I agree about the inadequacy of the apps. It's the reason Feather was created (now sadly defunct).

From memory there's a variant of DSL which has abiword and gnumeric (and I believe firefox too) and is a bit bigger than DSL. TBH though I can't see why anyone would want to use it in preference to Puppy, or Puppy Turbo / Turbo Extreme if you have a very old machine.

Anyway, I'm now using the latest version of OS4 (which used to be PC/OS), which is based on Xubuntu but with a few extra bells and whistles. It's working well and seems an all-round solid package; the only downside I can see so far is that the default colours aren't to my liking.
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

Colonel Panic

#737 Post by Colonel Panic »

I tried to cut and paste some text into Abiword in OS4, which promptly crashed. I'm afraid I said a rude word, which I'm not going to repeat here :)

What a pity though when a distro goes out with buggy software.
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

starhawk

#738 Post by starhawk »

From what I hear, Abiword's not released a stable version yet. I'm not able to verify that -- I refuse to use it from all the bug reports on these very forums. I use LibreOffice on systems that will support it and OOoLight on the rest.

bark_bark_bark

#739 Post by bark_bark_bark »

I am trying out a homebrew linux for the Playstation 2. The Sony one is old and costs too much money, but the "official" homebrew one is free and opensource like a linux distro should be (which most are).

I had to do a lot of work to find a Hard Drive that fits with my PS2 network adapter. I also had to do a lot of work to get it to work with homebrew apps.

But once I get a black dvd plus a PS2 hard drive loader, I can use it.

Colonel Panic

#740 Post by Colonel Panic »

starhawk wrote:From what I hear, Abiword's not released a stable version yet. I'm not able to verify that -- I refuse to use it from all the bug reports on these very forums. I use LibreOffice on systems that will support it and OOoLight on the rest.
I think Abiword's stability has got worse recently. A shame, because I really like the program; it does everything I want a word processor to do in a fairly lightweight package.

(So why not just use an old version?; the later versions will open Open Office files properly, which the earlier ones won't.)

LibreOffice is great, I agree, but it takes much longer to load and open a file than Abiword does.

I might give OOoLight a look, especially if it comes with a spell checker (I need one in a word processor, because my eyesight's not that great and I miss spelling mistakes otherwise).

bark_bark_bark

#741 Post by bark_bark_bark »

I don't really use Abiword, so no comment from me about it.

James C

#742 Post by James C »

In case anyone is interested, Antix now has a 64 bit version available for testing.
http://forum.mepiscommunity.org/viewtop ... 40&t=33707

Colonel Panic

#743 Post by Colonel Panic »

James C wrote:In case anyone is interested, AntiX now has a 64 bit version available for testing.

http://forum.mepiscommunity.org/viewtop ... 40&t=33707
Great! I'm using AntiX 32-bit at the moment. Just one general point; when is it really worth using a 64-bit version of a distro? I'm under the impression that with my computer spec it probably isn't worth it.

BTW, for some reason Abiword doesn't crash in Slacko; I've even tried to make it go down and it doesn't. Good news obviously but I'm still puzzled about what's going on.
Last edited by Colonel Panic on Fri 12 Oct 2012, 18:51, edited 2 times in total.

James C

#744 Post by James C »

Colonel Panic wrote: Great! I'm using Antix 32-bit at the moment. Just one general point; when is it really worth using a 64-bit version of a distro? I'm under the impression that with my computer spec it probably isnl;t worth it .
Naturally one needs a 64 bit computer....but most fairly recent hardware fits the bill. Personally, I use a 64 bit os on my hardware with 4 gb or more of ram.....less ram I use regular 32 bit.

Colonel Panic

#745 Post by Colonel Panic »

James C wrote:Naturally one needs a 64 bit computer....but most fairly recent hardware fits the bill. Personally, I use a 64 bit os on my hardware with 4 gb or more of ram.....less ram I use regular 32 bit.
Thanks. This machine will run a 64-bit distro, whereas my old one (a Compaq PIII) wouldn't, but from what you're saying it isn't really worth my while to do so with only 2 GB of RAM. I think I'll stick with 32-bit in that case then.

gcmartin

#746 Post by gcmartin »

Colonel Panic wrote: ...when is it really worth using a 64-bit version of a distro? I'm under the impression that with my computer spec it probably isnl;t worth it ....
There is a lot of emotion that comes to play when this question is poised.

Here's a little reality (I have been a part of several teams first, during development, then also with customer performance measurements in datacenters) that intended to shed some light.

The reality (not the emotion) is that for those PC systems which are 64bit system, the primary reasons that business select 64bit OS, is because it remove restrictions in what they can effectively do with system RAM. There are NONE in present day RAM expansion. So they, rightfully, use 64bit OSes because they can freely expand RAM use while simultaneously taking advantage of the increases afforded 64bit via its hardware advantages. This all being done with the understanding that NO OS changes are required should they choose to add more and more RAM over time.

2nd, the data bus to I/O and RAM has been doubled and OS + pheripheral technology can exploit that for data and information integrity as it crosses the bus to/from the processor.

3rd, the processor has a bigger mouth (64bit, not 32bit).

This provides greater things that can and are achieved, when exploited.

These translate to benefits that can be provided to the user.

Lastly, most all 64bit platforms can run in 32bit mode, should one what to restrict it to that.

You, as a user in Puppyland, should merely understand that these are advantages afforded you by OS and hardware vendors.

But, my most honest opinion is that, understanding this, I would still consider a distro on its ability to provide the application mix that would meet you specific needs, first, then see if there is a 64bit version as well. Remember, this last paragraph is ONLY my criterion.

Hope this helps

Colonel Panic

#747 Post by Colonel Panic »

Thanks, in that case it looks like I'm not missing out on much by using 32-bit versions of distros. It would be different if I had a brand new machine I suppose (or had 4 GB of RAM or more).

Anyway,, I've just installed the new version of Slackel, a Greek distro which is based on Slackware (now up to version 14), accesses the Salix repositories and uses the KDE 4 desktop environment. It's early days yet but so far it looks good and uses the Calligra office suite (formerly known as KOffice), one of the few distros to do so by default.

jakfish

Lubuntu 12.04 on a Netbook

#748 Post by jakfish »

Took the scary plunge and used Windows 7 to repartion a 6GB section of my SSD, then installed Lubuntu 12.04 on a Lenovo S10-3t netvertible.

Installation was initially tricky as there was an option of "automatic logon," which I chose, thinking that would bypass a need for root password that Ubuntu demands at almost every turn.

But you have to choose one, but you don't get an error if you don't, so I kept thinking the installation had crashed.

At any rate, I'm up and running.

Lubuntu Positives:

1) boots even faster that puppy, and has a 3-second shutdown

2) tons of available software and 18-month time of automatic updates

3) touchscreen, wifi, all hardware works OOB (though no multi-touch)

4) Lubuntu's LXDE/Openbox is quick and low-resource

5) Lowest-CPU-temperature Linux found so far

Lubuntu Negatives:

1) maddening demands for root password for almost anything the user wants to do

2) basic things such as adding apps to the Menu entail much unnecessary work

3) especially when tinkering w/ new OS, I really miss the puppysave system

4) Miss JWM too

5) Won't keep time properly--puppy far more pleasant about user control of time and timezone

6) Samba a pain, and even if you do root and set up a visible Windows share, you have to root again if you want to copy to Windows share. It's like going through the paperwork of a driver's license for every single thing that puppy allows you to do right away

But overall, I'm very impressed with Lubuntu. It's by far the best "other distro" that I've run.

Jake

Colonel Panic

Re: Lubuntu 12.04 on a Netbook

#749 Post by Colonel Panic »

jakfish wrote:Took the scary plunge and used Windows 7 to repartion a 6GB section of my SSD, then installed Lubuntu 12.04 on a Lenovo S10-3t netvertible.

Installation was initially tricky as there was an option of "automatic logon," which I chose, thinking that would bypass a need for root password that Ubuntu demands at almost every turn.

But you have to choose one, but you don't get an error if you don't, so I kept thinking the installation had crashed.

At any rate, I'm up and running.

Lubuntu Positives:

1) boots even faster that puppy, and has a 3-second shutdown

2) tons of available software and 18-month time of automatic updates

3) touchscreen, wifi, all hardware works OOB (though no multi-touch)

4) Lubuntu's LXDE/Openbox is quick and low-resource

5) Lowest-CPU-temperature Linux found so far

Lubuntu Negatives:

1) maddening demands for root password for almost anything the user wants to do

2) basic things such as adding apps to the Menu entail much unnecessary work

3) especially when tinkering w/ new OS, I really miss the puppysave system

4) Miss JWM too

5) Won't keep time properly--puppy far more pleasant about user control of time and timezone

6) Samba a pain, and even if you do root and set up a visible Windows share, you have to root again if you want to copy to Windows share. It's like going through the paperwork of a driver's license for every single thing that puppy allows you to do right away

But overall, I'm very impressed with Lubuntu. It's by far the best "other distro" that I've run.

Jake
Point no. 1 is my single biggest gripe about all Debian-based distros, not just Ubuntu-based ones. There are ways round it though (such as enabling root logins) though I don't offhand know how to do this.

I read Dedoimedo's site most weeks and he's just posted a very favourable review of Stella, a distro based on Centos but with more bells and whistles. I've just installed it and it is indeed a good one, very stable and fully featured. The only downsides are that it's a bit plain-looking (though it can be decorated - and Dedo's posted a couple of articles about how to do this) and there doesn't seem to be the same number of packages available for it as there is for Debian and Ubuntu; I couldn't find any osmo package, for example.

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/stella-linux.html

Nevertheless, definitely worth a look IMO. I see the Red Hat distros as being like the Windows NT of Linux; somewhat retro and "behind the times" (Stella uses Firefox 10 ESR, for example), but they're stable and reliable and get the job done.
Last edited by Colonel Panic on Fri 19 Oct 2012, 03:45, edited 1 time in total.

rokytnji

#750 Post by rokytnji »

40 plus Window managers anyone? :lol:

http://www.linuxbbq.org/release_linuxbb ... oyster.php

Have not tried it yet though. I need to read up on it more. Just know it is based on Debian so far. Not sure whether based on Debian stable, testing, or unstable though yet. Small iso size download though and it is a hybrid iso also (dd able). I like that they included Ceni in it also. :wink:

jakfish

#751 Post by jakfish »

Stella looks good, and what a good, thorough review Colonel Panic cites. However, the boot time is a little too long for my taste. The leanness of Lubuntu makes things very zippy.

Though Stella has far better stock apps.

I've thinned Lubuntu even more, going with Midori 0.4.3 (0.4.7 got rid of its MenuBar for some reason) in place of Chromium.

Chromium allows so few visual adjustments to its GUI, it's ridiculous.

Jake

nooby

#752 Post by nooby »

Not Linux but kind of cool to understand what will become of it?
Plasma Active 3
http://plasma-active.org/
http://kde.org/announcements/plasma-active-three/
About Plasma Active

Plasma Active is openly developed Free software.
Its reference implementation builds on the Mer operating system
and runs on a number of devices, including popular x86-based
tablet computers and ARM-based hardware such as the Archos G9 series.
Maybe it is something I fail to get so I do welcome a big laugh LOL
if it is not what it did seem to my naive reading. :)
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

jakfish

#753 Post by jakfish »

nooby, that's a great find. I've never heard of plasma active before. Wonder if it works with a physical keyboard, and does it have a working word processor?

I couldn't tell, though it does seem to have KDE PIMs, and KDE has a word processor, right?

Jake

nooby

#754 Post by nooby »

Hehe I have no idea what it is . I am not that bright.
One guy somewhere on internet told that it had borrowed
from BSE and IOS and Android? but that it where independent
of these. Maybe he wanted to create a flame war and just teased?

I trust the links should have all info needed. Reading wikipedia
I got the impression it is just another overlay but that is not how
they present it is it. So I would love that someone really getting it
would explain if it is a new thing or not?

Haha I am a pessimist. There only exist one OS and that is Unix
and variations of Unix? Just teasing.

edit When I where much younger I had a CP/M computer
but the commands did look almost as twin to DrDOS or MsDOS

where these really that much different from Unix?

nooby

#755 Post by nooby »

Distrowatch list a few new ones core17 one of them.
http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue ... 15#waiting
https://sites.google.com/site/corenlightenment/

is that not an odd url? sites.google.com?
Live CD/USB linux bootable operating system, with persistency.
A distro which is a remaster. (remix, Spin-off) of Tiny Core Linux,
featuring Enlightenment (DR17) desktop environment.
Thread about it on Tiny Core forum since august
http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.ph ... 758.0.html

I have not looked there since a long long time
so I had no idea it even existed.
Those who develop TinyCore
are usually very cautious about any spin off
and have been very critical to such attempts
but wow august that is a long time and
his thread is still there so that guy must have
done something that they accept as okay to them?

So have any of you done a frugal install on NTFS
using core 17 or maybe it does only work on ext3?

Edit. I where wrong. He got in trouble with the TinyCore forum rules too.
Topic locked due to section forum rule.
« Reply #31 on: September 02, 2012, 01:54:09 AM »

So not sure what that means. Typical of TC forum to not explain
what it means.

Edit 2

Got it to boot on NTFS using the ntfs-3gz.gz something
But I find the E17 Enlighten to be slow on my Netbook
compared with the original Core-plus I write from Core Plus now
but don't understand much of it. I used maybe a crazy way to boot
I give details later have to reboot first. :)
Last edited by nooby on Tue 16 Oct 2012, 15:18, edited 3 times in total.