Other Distros

Puppy related raves and general interest that doesn't fit anywhere else
bark_bark_bark

#691 Post by bark_bark_bark »

I notice that the only Distro that runs Web browsers truly fast is: Puppy Linux. All the other Distros (I tested) on a PC with the same specs runs slow.

Edit: The only other distro I use is TinyCore, it's very easy to install and it's packages are smaller than the big distros' versions.

gcmartin

Puppy operations in RAM

#692 Post by gcmartin »

bark_bark_bark wrote:I notice that the only Distro that runs Web browsers ... .
I not sure is you are proposing something or not. But, as for some limited understanding that I have, this might help should you be using one/some other distros.

Puppy advances are due to its ability to use RAM as a part of its file-system; this is apparent for those of us who use Live media (and some frugal) as our primary system's operations. This is one of the main reasons why I continue to operate Live media.

Understanding this, have you wondered what would happen to the browser performance should you make the browser's profile use a RAM drive you use/create? I think this is easy and I also think that with the lazy-write approach that is use by most Linux, the profiles location could be "mirrored" to a real media device such that all browser location movements would be captured on a permanent basis should you need.

Hope this helps

Colonel Panic

#693 Post by Colonel Panic »

nitehawk wrote:
smokey01 wrote: I didn't see anything it could do that Puppy couldn't. It is much bigger and a lot slower than Puppy though.

Puppy still wins in my opinion.
Ya,...same here. I HAVE to use Debian on my main computer though. That's because my grandson says I have to (it has all the "neat games" he says). Otherwise,...I just go with a Puppy on my other computers. I just don't see the point in running a distro with so much stuff,.. that I don't usually use in the first place. Not to mention (as you said) most other distros are so slooow when compared to a Puppy.
Yeah, true although the Slack-based distros such as Vector are fast enough for most of what I want to do.

I haven't found another distro yet which runs Wine (for my Windows programs) as well as Puppy does either. I'm thinking of trying OpenSUSE next to see if Wine runs any better on it but I know it has a reputation for being slow.
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

nitehawk

#694 Post by nitehawk »

Colonel Panic wrote: Yeah, true although the Slack-based distros such as Vector are fast enough for most of what I want to do.
...oh,...I absolutely LOVE a Slack-based distro! I found that Salix runs really well on my old stuff,...except for one little tiny, but important problem.
I can't seem to figure out how to get it to do dialup. I went to their wiki site,..and it sounded pretty complicated to me (my eyes started blurring over, and my mind started shutting down just reading all the instructions). I finally said,..."what-the-heck"!!! I can get dialup to work in any Puppy right off the bat,..so why bother with Salix.

And my CD of VectorLinux 7 seems to have gotten damaged or corrupted in some way,...so I can't get it to install anymore. <alas!>

nooby

#695 Post by nooby »

I feel so dense. Slax I have booted very many okay 4 or 5 or so

I have never ever booted Slack and don't trust it can be booted frugally
while Slax can.

What is the difference? Is it only the attitude of the Devs?
Porteus works good.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

nitehawk

#696 Post by nitehawk »

Actually,...I have been toying with the idea of trying OpenSuse again. I used it a couple of years or so ago (Xfce/Lxde) and it seemed to work pretty good.

I'm thinking that since my grandson wants Debian (and all it's games) when he comes to visit,...

I will get one of my spare hard drives (maybe a 20G or a 40G one). And just put Debian and all games on it. Then when he comes over,..I can easily switch hard drives in my main computer.

That way,...I can use my main 160G hard drive triple-booted with WXP,..Racy Puppy,...and what-ever-distro-I-want!!! That just might be VectorLinux SOHO,...or something like OpenSuse,...(Mageia 2 actually didn't seem to do all that well on my stuff).

Colonel Panic

#697 Post by Colonel Panic »

nitehawk wrote:...oh,...I absolutely LOVE a Slack-based distro! I found that Salix runs really well on my old stuff,...except for one little tiny, but important problem.
I can't seem to figure out how to get it to do dialup. I went to their wiki site,..and it sounded pretty complicated to me (my eyes started blurring over, and my mind started shutting down just reading all the instructions). I finally said,..."what-the-heck"!!! I can get dialup to work in any Puppy right off the bat,..so why bother with Salix.
Yeah, fewer distros seem to support dialup these days. I think Mint still does but I'm not sure. I had to give up using Zenwalk 6 because I couldn't get online with it using dialup (I've got breadband now)
nitehawk wrote:And my CD of VectorLinux 7 seems to have gotten damaged or corrupted in some way,...so I can't get it to install anymore. <alas!>
Oh shame :( I've had that problem with Vector more than any other distro for some reason.
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

Colonel Panic

#698 Post by Colonel Panic »

nitehawk wrote:Actually,...I have been toying with the idea of trying OpenSuse again. I used it a couple of years or so ago (Xfce/Lxde) and it seemed to work pretty good.

I'm thinking that since my grandson wants Debian (and all it's games) when he comes to visit,...

I will get one of my spare hard drives (maybe a 20G or a 40G one). And just put Debian and all games on it. Then when he comes over,..I can easily switch hard drives in my main computer.

That way,...I can use my main 160G hard drive triple-booted with WXP,..Racy Puppy,...and what-ever-distro-I-want!!! That just might be VectorLinux SOHO,...or something like OpenSuse,...(Mageia 2 actually didn't seem to do all that well on my stuff).
Sounds like a great idea that - if you've got somewhere safe and clean to put the drive when you've taken it out of the machine (or an anti-static bag away from magnets).

nooby

#699 Post by nooby »

Mozillux What is that all about.
http://www.mozillux.org/mozillux-en.html
Mozillux is built upon a Debian/Ubuntu base. Each software is carefully tested and analysed before being integrated into the operating system.

Fast, Mozillux is finely tuned by an experts team. Each software is carefully set-up to integrate with precision the operating system.

Secure, Mozillux is completely impenetrable to virus and any kind of malwares. Your documents and emails are safe. Your whole internet activity is protected.

Everything is there, you don't need to buy anything more. Each software is a full version, ready to use immediately. There are no ad-softwares, nor limited-test-softwares.

You can use Mozillux-DVD for all your usual office needs. Edit documents, texts or spreadsheets, drawings... Surf the internet, connect to your social networks, share, join... Chat with your friends in direct, or by emails... Play, watch TV, listen radio or your favorite music... Access your files on distant computers or dedicated networks, and all of this at full speed and completely secured.

Wether you use Mozillux at work or at home, you are safe.
so it seems to be a "live" DVD that one use like Puppy then?

But can it save on that DVD or not. oops they answer further down?
Mozillux usb modules requires your computer have USB2 ports
So most likely you boot the DVD and then save changes to the USB?

Would be cool if any of you gave it a go and tell here if you like it.

The download files is a zip and the DL page is in french
and the chapta failed to be seen in my Firefox.
Last edited by nooby on Thu 13 Sep 2012, 18:55, edited 1 time in total.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

Colonel Panic

#700 Post by Colonel Panic »

I finally took the plunge and downloaded the last two Frugalware DVDs (the last one is only 1.1 MB) and have now installed the whole thing. You have to install the packages manually from the last four DVDs as the installation process doesn't prompt you to insert said DVDs.

I don't want to put anyone off trying Frugal but it seems quite rough around the edges to me, probably because the team working on it is a lot smaller than the ones most popular distros have at their disposal (they admit this on their forum).

The default desktop environment is KDE, which comes with a full range of included software except KOffice (it has LibreOffice instead) and the one program it's worth getting KDE for IMO; Amarok. Apart from this, I couldn't get Gnome to work which isn't a problem for me since XFce, which I like, is an option. However, you have to shut it down using Ctrl-Alt-Delete because there's no menu or button to click on. Also, LibreOffice Writer doesn't have spellchecking enabled which for me is a nuisance.

Still, Frugal is fairly light on resources and may be worth trying for someone who wants a distro that needs some tinkering with; it's a sort of cross between Slackware and Arch. Most people though are probably better off with something like Mint (or maybe OpenSUSE, which I haven't yet tried).

Colonel Panic

#701 Post by Colonel Panic »

Distrohopping again soon I think; the Frugalware forum response is very slow and I was unable to find out how to get the spellchecker in LibreOffice to work. Maybe OpenSUSE next time.

In the meantime I can recommend a Greek distro called Slackel for those who want a KDE-based Slack-derived distro. It looks nice, seems pretty stable, and has KOffice instead of the near ubiquitous LibreOffice for office duties.

CP .

Billtoo

Other Distros

#702 Post by Billtoo »

I installed the 64 bit version of Bodhi-2.1.0 on a 7 year old hp
AMD64 3300+ desktop pc.
You can install software with the Bodhi Linux Appcenter or Synaptic
Package manager, or apt get.
I've installed a bunch,firefox,vlc,xbmc,gogglesmm,thunor,mtpaint,mc,xfe,and
more.
It's working nice so far.
Attachments
screenshot.jpg
(27.02 KiB) Downloaded 676 times

James C

#703 Post by James C »

An oldie but a goodie......... Slax 6.12.

FWIW, development has restarted on Slax 7.......
http://www.slax.org/forum.php?action=vi ... ntID=81991
Attachments
Slax.png
(174.91 KiB) Downloaded 476 times

Colonel Panic

#704 Post by Colonel Panic »

James C wrote:An oldie but a goodie......... Slax 6.12.

FWIW, development has restarted on Slax 7.......
http://www.slax.org/forum.php?action=vi ... ntID=81991
Interesting, because I thought Porteus was the evolutionary successor to Slax? So there are at least two forks of Slax now in development?

I've just installed the Legacy version of Solus 1.2, which is meant for older computers. I think it's a very good distro even if the default interface is a bit dark and drab. It's easy to install Xfce, though (you have to apt-get xfce4) and that works very well in Solus as well as as in other Debian-based distros I've tried.
Last edited by Colonel Panic on Fri 12 Oct 2012, 18:22, edited 1 time in total.

James C

#705 Post by James C »

Colonel Panic wrote: Interesting, because I thought Porteus was the evolutionary successor to Slax? So there are at least two forks of Slax now in development?
Not really. Since Tomas is the original developer of Slax it's just a continuation of the original Slax ...... another case of real life causing a break in development. During the time Tomas took a break from development the Porteus developers forked.
So, the original Slax is back while Porteus is a fork.

Colonel Panic

#706 Post by Colonel Panic »

James C wrote:
Colonel Panic wrote: Interesting, because I thought Porteus was the evolutionary successor to Slax? So there are at least two forks of Slax now in development?
Not really. Since Tomas is the original developer of Slax it's just a continuation of the original Slax ...... another case of real life causing a break in development. During the time Tomas took a break from development the Porteus developers forked.
So, the original Slax is back while Porteus is a fork.
Oh I see James, thanks for correcting my misunderstanding. I'm downloading Slax now, it looks worth a try.

Best,

CP .

Colonel Panic

#707 Post by Colonel Panic »

I've just downloaded Slax 6.12 and am posting from it now. It's amazing what the devs have managed to pack into 200 MB - it'd no doubt be sacrilege here to say it's a rival for Puppy Slacko, but I feel I should say that I'm playing a music video in Firefox now without having to download Flash first and I wish that could be taken for granted with Puppy too.
Last edited by Colonel Panic on Fri 12 Oct 2012, 18:23, edited 3 times in total.

James C

#708 Post by James C »

Colonel Panic wrote:I've just downloaded Slax 6.12 and am posting from it now. It's amazing what the devs have managed to pack into 200 MB - it';d no doubt be sacrilege here to say it;s a rival for Puppy Slacko, but I shoukld say that I'm playing a music video in Firefox now without having to download Flash first and I wish that could be taken for granted with Puppy too.
It's not bad for something that was released in 2009........ :) Still holds up well though. The new Slax 7 should be interesting ..... still in pre-alpha though.

Colonel Panic

#709 Post by Colonel Panic »

James C wrote:It's not bad for something that was released in 2009........ :) Still holds up well though.
Yeah, I've just noticed the Firefox version - 3.5.1, and it still works fine with Flash. KDE 3.5.10 is still a goodie too.
James C wrote:The new Slax 7 should be interesting ..... still in pre-alpha though.
Agreed.

James C

#710 Post by James C »

Trying out Tiny Core .....
Attachments
Tinycore.png
(21.2 KiB) Downloaded 788 times