Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Mon 23 Jul 2018, 00:20
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Misc
Other Distros
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 33 of 188 [2820 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, ..., 186, 187, 188 Next
newbody

PostPosted: Thu 31 May 2012, 05:39    Post subject:  

Knoppix 7 is out now but I fail to find a CD version.
Only the DVD and that one is nearly 4GB compressed DVD format
nd expand to more than double extracted?

Huge indeed. So I would want to download the CD version.
Maybe he has not done any such? DW has a link but that one
took 18 hour or something so I did not accept that Smile
ICPUG

PostPosted: Thu 31 May 2012, 08:33    Post subject:  

Knoppix 7.0.1 is out on DVD only at present. Klaus Knopper has said the CD is in the pipeline. Klaus releases when he is ready so just keep a check on the mirrors.

There may be a print bug in Knoppix 7.0.1. It has been reported on the Knoppix mailing list and Klaus considers it a major bug and will release 7.0.2 to remove it.
newbody

PostPosted: Thu 31 May 2012, 11:13    Post subject:  

Thanks ICPUG I wait for the CD then.

Nooby
infromthepound

PostPosted: Fri 01 Jun 2012, 06:47    Post subject: ubuntu  

I tried the latest Ubuntu the other day.
To get on the web I need the nescesary chip driver, which I need to download,. ??
I'm back on Slacko
JB
Billtoo

PostPosted: Fri 01 Jun 2012, 13:19    Post subject: Other Distros
Subject description: Knoppix 7.0.2 DVD

I downloaded the knoppix 7.0.2 dvd which took a little over an hour.
It allows you to install it to a flash drive which I did and it's working well.
I boot it with the 64 bit kernel and gnome desktop, lots of apps to try out.
screenshot.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   137.61 KB
 Viewed   1041 Time(s)

screenshot.jpg

DaveS

PostPosted: Fri 01 Jun 2012, 14:19    Post subject:  

Followed the herd and installed Ubuntu 12.04, but Unity drives me mental, so deleted it and installed Xubuntu instead which I quite like. Power management seems very good. Cant get system beep to work and Midori from the software centre is about as stable as a unicycle.
Saluki has it beaten on every count though.

Colonel Panic

PostPosted: Sat 02 Jun 2012, 04:48    Post subject:  

DaveS wrote:
Followed the herd and installed Ubuntu 12.04, but Unity drives me mental, so deleted it and installed Xubuntu instead which I quite like. Power management seems very good. Cant get system beep to work and Midori from the software centre is about as stable as a unicycle.
Saluki has it beaten on every count though.

That's interesting. I've neVer tried Saluki but I gather it's for new computers, not eleven year old ones like mine?

Tried AntiX-12 beta yesterday and I'm afraid it seems to be the same story as Swift; it's a good live disk but when I installed it to hard drive I couldn't log in.

Acer Aspire M1610 (Core 2 Duo, 2.3 GHz), 3 GB of RAM, 320 GB hard drive running Devuan 2.0.0 RC, Slackel 7.0 Openbox, Debian 9.4.0, Bunsen Labs Helium, Salix 14.2 Mate, MX-16 (64-bit), Ubuntu 16.04.3 Budgie, Stella 6.8 and Siduction 6.1.0.
nooby

PostPosted: Sat 02 Jun 2012, 05:09    Post subject:  

Colonel Panic wrote:

Tried AntiX-12 beta yesterday ... but when I installed it to hard drive I couldn't log in.

You don't even have to join their forum,
they are so friendly and helpful that they answer you in Puppy forum.

That is the true spirit of AntiX they care about their users.

Look at the post from the developer of AntiX below this one. Smile

Last edited by nooby on Sat 02 Jun 2012, 09:18; edited 4 times in total
anticapitalista

PostPosted: Sat 02 Jun 2012, 08:59    Post subject:  

Colonel Panic wrote:

... it's a good live disk but when I installed it to hard drive I couldn't log in.

My guess is you saved the old home. If you did and still have antiX on hard disk you need to copy over the contents (including the hidden . files) of /etc/skel to your home/username directory. Do this as user, not root.
Colonel Panic

PostPosted: Sun 03 Jun 2012, 06:18    Post subject:  

anticapitalista wrote:
Colonel Panic wrote:

... it's a good live disk but when I installed it to hard drive I couldn't log in.

My guess is you saved the old home. If you did and still have antiX on hard disk you need to copy over the contents (including the hidden . files) of /etc/skel to your home/username directory. Do this as user, not root.

Thanks anticapitalista, and you were right. I did as you said and it worked! I should really post this problem and the solution over on the antiX forum as well in case anyone else has the same problem though.

@Nooby; I'm impressed. How did you know anticapitalista was going to reply later?

Acer Aspire M1610 (Core 2 Duo, 2.3 GHz), 3 GB of RAM, 320 GB hard drive running Devuan 2.0.0 RC, Slackel 7.0 Openbox, Debian 9.4.0, Bunsen Labs Helium, Salix 14.2 Mate, MX-16 (64-bit), Ubuntu 16.04.3 Budgie, Stella 6.8 and Siduction 6.1.0.
nooby

PostPosted: Sun 03 Jun 2012, 07:50    Post subject:  

Nope I did not know but Anti does help here too very often
or always are on the look out to help people that have trouble
with AntiX. Has happen many times on Murga Puppy Forum.

Thanks Anti for caring about us PuppyLvrs too Smile

Enrique Corbellini

PostPosted: Sun 03 Jun 2012, 19:38    Post subject:  Does anyone know about ubuntu's grub installing?
Subject description: (got a headache after trying too many linux distros)

Hello partners
once I discovered these comments about other distros here in this forum, I tried some of them in search of that one that solves a very known problem: using a linux that feels like a windows.
John suggestion's was to use Zorin. Good system indeed, but after proving Lubuntu, I found it better in more than one way.
To stop increasing my headache (after proving around 10 linux distros), I adopted Lubuntu to almost substitute Windows (still using a 3pieces-partitioned disk), BUT, what a joke! I found it so difficult to find a Grub utility that functions with Ubuntu's world at the same time with Puppy's.
If I have to reinstall Grub (something frecuently needed), I have to completly reinstall Lubuntu (absurd option) or to know programming in Linux.... I wonder why is it so difficult to have a ubuntu's Grub with graphical interface installer... is it I didn't look for it correctly in the net?
I'll be thankfull if receiving any advice.
rokytnji

PostPosted: Sun 03 Jun 2012, 21:00    Post subject:  

Quote:
If I have to reinstall Grub (something frecuently needed), I have to completly reinstall Lubuntu (absurd option) or to know programming in Linux.

Though I don't Lubuntu. I run Antix instead. I think this documentation may be of use to you.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair

Plus reinstalling grub from a live cd is no chore either I guess.

http://www.howopensource.com/2012/05/reinstall-recover-grub-from-ubuntu-12-04-live-cd-usb/
Enrique Corbellini

PostPosted: Thu 07 Jun 2012, 11:53    Post subject:  thanks  

thanks, I followed your suggestion and tried antix
looks like a complete system, but it doesn't start xorg o vesa automatically. Is there a way to have a graphical interface?
There was a time when I liked learning programming and linux languages, but as I have to give puppy and other linuxes to people who only knows how to use windows... the less I give them instructions to write, the better they will work.
Yesterday I did and installation in a PC that already had windows and Puppy. I created a third partition and installed Lubuntu. Not so bad... you can access to lots of programs that belong to the ubuntu community there, can antix give something like that?
Soon I'll try to apply your suggestions about Grub. Shocked
dk60902

PostPosted: Thu 07 Jun 2012, 13:16    Post subject: Re: Does anyone know about ubuntu's grub installing?
Subject description: (got a headache after trying too many linux distros)

Enrique Corbellini wrote:
Hello partners
once I discovered these comments about other distros here in this forum, I tried some of them in search of that one that solves a very known problem: using a linux that feels like a windows.
John suggestion's was to use Zorin. Good system indeed, but after proving Lubuntu, I found it better in more than one way.
To stop increasing my headache (after proving around 10 linux distros), I adopted Lubuntu to almost substitute Windows (still using a 3pieces-partitioned disk), BUT, what a joke! I found it so difficult to find a Grub utility that functions with Ubuntu's world at the same time with Puppy's.
If I have to reinstall Grub (something frecuently needed), I have to completly reinstall Lubuntu (absurd option) or to know programming in Linux.... I wonder why is it so difficult to have a ubuntu's Grub with graphical interface installer... is it I didn't look for it correctly in the net?
I'll be thankfull if receiving any advice.

I'm no linux expert, but I've found that one can dual boot Ubuntu and Puppy quite easily using Grub4Dos or Grub2. I have a 2 computers that I've installed Ubuntu and Puppy. One uses Grub4Dos as the bootloader and the other Grub2. Lubuntu should work dual booting with either of these 2 bootloaders.
Page 33 of 188 [2820 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, ..., 186, 187, 188 Next
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Misc
Jump to: