Other Distros

Puppy related raves and general interest that doesn't fit anywhere else
Colonel Panic

#391 Post by Colonel Panic »

Thanks for the heads up Bill. I haven't been following the Vector forum lately and so didn't know there was an rc version of Vector 7 Light. I may well head over and take a look.

Cheers,

CP .
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

rjbrewer

#392 Post by rjbrewer »

Installed Win 8 consumer preview to a spare drive.
Left room for a Puppy and did a full install of Wary.
Used grub legacy (mbr).
No problems booting either o.s.

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

nubc

#393 Post by nubc »

@rjbrewer
How large a partition was necessary to install Win 8 preview?

James C

#394 Post by James C »

nubc wrote:@rjbrewer
Not rjbrewer but my Windows 8 install (32 bit) took about 15 Gb for the base install. http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 832#608832

rjbrewer

#395 Post by rjbrewer »

nubc wrote:@rjbrewer
Nothing less than 16 Gb would work for me.
It installed ok to my pc but wouldn't work on the laptop.
It's easiest if you already have a Win 7 box.
It isn't supported by any of my wireless cards so far.
Just playing around a bit, seeing it's free till next January?

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

Colonel Panic

#396 Post by Colonel Panic »

I recently downloaded Mint 12 LXDE and have been using it this morning. It doesn't seem any heavier on system resources than 11 LXDE was, i.e. it runs (just) in 512 MB of RAM, and it works well.
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

d4p

#397 Post by d4p »

""There is no post at this date in that thread
It Posted: Tue 04 Oct 2011, 23:17, how to do it.""
""Error 60 File must be in one contiguos file area
From poor memory.""

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... a5fe8481d1

""While when most of us talk about using frugal install we talk about using the HD that is formatted in ntfs and having the menu.lst on same partition""

It works fine on both (100% NTFS) External&Internal HDD
title SolusOS 1.2b 1:01/0:48
root (hd0,1)
kernel /live/vmlinuz boot=live config live-media-path=/live quiet splash union=aufs --
initrd /live/initrd.lz

Colonel Panic

#398 Post by Colonel Panic »

I'm using Bloathi (an expanded version of Bodhi, which needs a DVD to burn to and load) at the moment, live from a public computer as my own won*t boot live DVDs. If you like Bodhi (and it seems a lot of people do), then Bloathi is more of the same, including more Enlightenment themes. The only problem so far is that I*ve been unable to set up my keyboard correctly, with interesting results when I try to input such things as brackets, at symbols etc.

linuxbear

#399 Post by linuxbear »

Colonel Panic wrote:IThe only problem so far is that I*ve been unable to set up my keyboard correctly, with interesting results when I try to input such things as brackets, at symbols etc.
I have had no issues with Bodhi loaded on an old Acer laptop and an oldish HP pavilion desktop. There's a nasty-gram which comes up on boot, but it vanishes when enter is pushed and I have not bothered to fix it yet. There is also another nasty-gram which shows up during power down, but of course it goes away when the machine shuts down. Other than that, Bodhi is extremely fast on my old lappie and I love the E17 environment.

James C

#400 Post by James C »

Running the latest openSUSE testing .....looks pretty good if you have fairly new hardware.
Decided to use KDE 4 since I can't stand Gnome 3 ..... :lol:
linux@linux:~> uname -r
3.2.0-2-default
linux@linux:~>
Attachments
snapshot2.png
(162.53 KiB) Downloaded 767 times

mini-jaguar

#401 Post by mini-jaguar »

Kongoni:
this is a distro meant to use only free open source stuff. KDE desktop. It has lots of options and tweaks, but unfortunately seems somewhat sluggish and bloated, not very fast. A few problems like not all the functions on the partition editor work and I can't find the wallpaper manager (possibly due to a shortcoming on my part). Not too crazy about this but I'll definitely try the next version as this distro has some potential.

Slax:
nice streamlined Slackware (200Mb). I got it to work on an Intel MacBook, but still needs some tweaks to the touchpad. There is a package for this available, I'll try it out. Overall a nice collection of packages on the site. Definitely getting an install. Really awesome standard wallpaper too.

Saluki Puppy:
this works on the MacBook with the touchpad better than any other Puppy, but I still have to tweak it and the Synaptics driver won't comply. I haven't tried too much though. This is also getting installed.

Kuki:
very minimal distro, I guess a version of Xubuntu. Seems fast enough but has very little included software, maybe a little more than DSL and it shows icons for the drives (DSL doesn't). Also doesn't have any games (but DSL has some games). It was meant for the Acer Aspire One, but will run on other computers, however there is not much control over this, as I tried it on two laptops, and on one it worked but on the other it didn't even boot.
Last edited by mini-jaguar on Tue 20 Mar 2012, 07:49, edited 1 time in total.

izezi

#402 Post by izezi »

nitehawk wrote:Tried to get FreeBSD installed this weekend. No go. Pulling hair out.
I hope I'm not committing a transgression by posting this but saw other people posting shots of Windows so...

I've been trying out PC-BSD 9.0, Isotope, for the past couple weeks. It's based on the new FreeBSD 9.0 release with a graphic installer that puts you into KDE 4. I'm using it on my Sony Viao laptop with Intel 1.6GHz Dual Core and 1GB RAM and it recognized all my hardware, including wi-fi, out of the box without having to tweak anything

Where Puppy has .pet PC-BSD uses .pbi files that act like an .exe and install all the dependencies for the application, although you can still use ports which I favor. System and program updates are scanned for and updated through a GUI.

I've used PC-BSD since the early days and this is the most stable and slick version I've seen to date.
Attachments
FreeBSD.jpeg
PC-BSD 9.0 Isotope
(32.46 KiB) Downloaded 341 times
radgurl.jpeg
PC-BSD 9.0 Isotope
(31.46 KiB) Downloaded 319 times

Colonel Panic

#403 Post by Colonel Panic »

izezi wrote:
nitehawk wrote:Tried to get FreeBSD installed this weekend. No go. Pulling hair out.
I hope I'm not committing a transgression by posting this but saw other people posting shots of Windows so...

I've been trying out PC-BSD 9.0, Isotope, for the past couple weeks. It's based on the new FreeBSD 9.0 release with a graphic installer that puts you into KDE 4. I'm using it on my Sony Viao laptop with Intel 1.6GHz Dual Core and 1GB RAM and it recognized all my hardware, including wi-fi, out of the box without having to tweak anything

Where Puppy has .pet PC-BSD uses .pbi files that act like an .exe and install all the dependencies for the application, although you can still use ports which I favor. System and program updates are scanned for and updated through a GUI.

I've used PC-BSD since the early days and this is the most stable and slick version I've seen to date.
That's interesting. I'd have thought 1 GB of RAM was pretty much minimal for PC-BSD - I thought it needed 2 GB of RAM. How well does it run on your machine, especially with , say, several tabs or windows open in Firefox??

izezi

#404 Post by izezi »

Colonel Panic wrote: That's interesting. I'd have thought 1 GB of RAM was pretty much minimal for PC-BSD - I thought it needed 2 GB of RAM. How well does it run on your machine, especially with , say, several tabs or windows open in Firefox??
FreeBSD sees free memory as wasted memory and uses most of what it has available. Here's a screenshot of top while running 5 tabs open in Firefox, gkrellm, and XXMS so you can see for yourself how resources are being handled. I usually don't keep that many tabs open but it doesn't slow things down any.

I didn't size it down to keep the terminal text as clear as possible.

Billtoo

Vector Linux Light version 7 final

#405 Post by Billtoo »

I did a full install of Vector Linux Light 7 with icewm.
Midori and Netsurf aren't very good, using firefox now.
It is good for compiling applications, I've done
mplayer,smplayer,smtube,geany, and firefox 11 with no problems.
Icewm works well too.
Attachments
screenshot.jpg
(52.85 KiB) Downloaded 571 times

linuxbear

#406 Post by linuxbear »

linuxbear wrote:
Colonel Panic wrote:IThe only problem so far is that I*ve been unable to set up my keyboard correctly, with interesting results when I try to input such things as brackets, at symbols etc.
I have had no issues with Bodhi loaded on an old Acer laptop and an oldish HP pavilion desktop. There's a nasty-gram which comes up on boot, but it vanishes when enter is pushed and I have not bothered to fix it yet. There is also another nasty-gram which shows up during power down, but of course it goes away when the machine shuts down. Other than that, Bodhi is extremely fast on my old lappie and I love the E17 environment.
...I fixed that nasty-gram by removing the enlightenment directory that remembers desktop setup. /.e if memory serves

linuxbear

Re: Vector Linux Light version 7 final

#407 Post by linuxbear »

Billtoo wrote:I did a full install of Vector Linux Light 7 with icewm.
Midori and Netsurf aren't very good, using firefox now.
It is good for compiling applications, I've done
mplayer,smplayer,smtube,geany, and firefox 11 with no problems.
Icewm works well too.
Vector is a sweet OS. Are they using the grub critter as default yet or are they still using that LILO bug. I think LILO is not compatible with ext4 (?)

Billtoo

#408 Post by Billtoo »

linuxbear wrote: Vector is a sweet OS. Are they using the grub critter as default yet or are they still using that LILO bug. I think LILO is not compatible with ext4 (?)
Lilo is the default, it is compatible with ext4, my hard drive is formatted ext4.

nitehawk

#409 Post by nitehawk »

izezi wrote: I've been trying out PC-BSD 9.0, Isotope, for the past couple weeks. It's based on the new FreeBSD 9.0 release with a graphic installer that puts you into KDE 4. I'm using it on my Sony Viao laptop with Intel 1.6GHz Dual Core and 1GB RAM and it recognized all my hardware, including wi-fi, out of the box without having to tweak anything
I actually got PCBSD 9.0 (xfce) installed the other day. The only problem was that I couldn't find a way to dialup to the internet. When I asked on their forum,....I only got one answer about there possibly being KPPP on the install DVD. There didn't seem to be. Not even when I re-installed with KDE desktop. Nothing for dialup.
I searched the FreeBSD handbook for how to do dialup the hard way,...but still couldn't find anything that made sense. So I went back to just Slackware and Debian for now (and a Puppy here and there).

linuxbear

#410 Post by linuxbear »

Billtoo wrote:
linuxbear wrote: Vector is a sweet OS. Are they using the grub critter as default yet or are they still using that LILO bug. I think LILO is not compatible with ext4 (?)
Lilo is the default, it is compatible with ext4, my hard drive is formatted ext4.

I will need to look into that as Lilo is now probably much easier to configure than the "improvement" known as grub-2