Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sat 01 Nov 2014, 06:33
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Misc
Other Distros
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 27 of 112 [1674 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, ..., 110, 111, 112 Next
Colonel Panic

PostPosted: Fri 02 Mar 2012, 15:19    Post subject:  

Thanks for the heads up Bill. I haven't been following the Vector forum lately and so didn't know there was an rc version of Vector 7 Light. I may well head over and take a look.

Cheers,

CP .

Stone Pentium IV (2.4 GHz), 2 GB of RAM, 160 GB hard drive running PuppEX 14.1, New Year's Pup 02, Puppy 4.31 Workhorse, Puppy X-Precise 2.4, Puppy Carolina 1.2, Puppy Legacy OS2 LTS, Puppy Diamond 528_512 (full) and Puppy Upup Raring 3.9.9.2.
rjbrewer

PostPosted: Tue 06 Mar 2012, 23:46    Post subject:  

Installed Win 8 consumer preview to a spare drive.
Left room for a Puppy and did a full install of Wary.
Used grub legacy (mbr).
No problems booting either o.s.

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

nubc

PostPosted: Wed 07 Mar 2012, 02:29    Post subject:  

@rjbrewer
How large a partition was necessary to install Win 8 preview?
James C

PostPosted: Wed 07 Mar 2012, 02:54    Post subject:  

nubc wrote:
@rjbrewer

Not rjbrewer but my Windows 8 install (32 bit) took about 15 Gb for the base install. http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=608832#608832
rjbrewer

PostPosted: Wed 07 Mar 2012, 08:14    Post subject:  

nubc wrote:
@rjbrewer

Nothing less than 16 Gb would work for me.
It installed ok to my pc but wouldn't work on the laptop.
It's easiest if you already have a Win 7 box.
It isn't supported by any of my wireless cards so far.
Just playing around a bit, seeing it's free till next January?

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

Colonel Panic

PostPosted: Sun 11 Mar 2012, 08:21    Post subject:  

I recently downloaded Mint 12 LXDE and have been using it this morning. It doesn't seem any heavier on system resources than 11 LXDE was, i.e. it runs (just) in 512 MB of RAM, and it works well.
Stone Pentium IV (2.4 GHz), 2 GB of RAM, 160 GB hard drive running PuppEX 14.1, New Year's Pup 02, Puppy 4.31 Workhorse, Puppy X-Precise 2.4, Puppy Carolina 1.2, Puppy Legacy OS2 LTS, Puppy Diamond 528_512 (full) and Puppy Upup Raring 3.9.9.2.
d4p

PostPosted: Mon 12 Mar 2012, 23:06    Post subject:  

""There is no post at this date in that thread
It Posted: Tue 04 Oct 2011, 23:17, how to do it.""
""Error 60 File must be in one contiguos file area
From poor memory.""

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69050&start=150&sid=19ef9b13f8daa61d64211fa5fe8481d1

""While when most of us talk about using frugal install we talk about using the HD that is formatted in ntfs and having the menu.lst on same partition""

It works fine on both (100% NTFS) External&Internal HDD
title SolusOS 1.2b 1:01/0:48
root (hd0,1)
kernel /live/vmlinuz boot=live config live-media-path=/live quiet splash union=aufs --
initrd /live/initrd.lz
Colonel Panic

PostPosted: Wed 14 Mar 2012, 09:06    Post subject:  

I'm using Bloathi (an expanded version of Bodhi, which needs a DVD to burn to and load) at the moment, live from a public computer as my own won*t boot live DVDs. If you like Bodhi (and it seems a lot of people do), then Bloathi is more of the same, including more Enlightenment themes. The only problem so far is that I*ve been unable to set up my keyboard correctly, with interesting results when I try to input such things as brackets, at symbols etc.
linuxbear

PostPosted: Wed 14 Mar 2012, 14:57    Post subject:  

Colonel Panic wrote:
IThe only problem so far is that I*ve been unable to set up my keyboard correctly, with interesting results when I try to input such things as brackets, at symbols etc.

I have had no issues with Bodhi loaded on an old Acer laptop and an oldish HP pavilion desktop. There's a nasty-gram which comes up on boot, but it vanishes when enter is pushed and I have not bothered to fix it yet. There is also another nasty-gram which shows up during power down, but of course it goes away when the machine shuts down. Other than that, Bodhi is extremely fast on my old lappie and I love the E17 environment.
James C

PostPosted: Fri 16 Mar 2012, 01:11    Post subject:  

Running the latest openSUSE testing .....looks pretty good if you have fairly new hardware.
Decided to use KDE 4 since I can't stand Gnome 3 ..... Laughing
linux@linux:~> uname -r
3.2.0-2-default
linux@linux:~>
snapshot2.png
 Description   
 Filesize   162.53 KB
 Viewed   721 Time(s)

snapshot2.png

mini-jaguar

PostPosted: Mon 19 Mar 2012, 12:44    Post subject:  

Kongoni:
this is a distro meant to use only free open source stuff. KDE desktop. It has lots of options and tweaks, but unfortunately seems somewhat sluggish and bloated, not very fast. A few problems like not all the functions on the partition editor work and I can't find the wallpaper manager (possibly due to a shortcoming on my part). Not too crazy about this but I'll definitely try the next version as this distro has some potential.

Slax:
nice streamlined Slackware (200Mb). I got it to work on an Intel MacBook, but still needs some tweaks to the touchpad. There is a package for this available, I'll try it out. Overall a nice collection of packages on the site. Definitely getting an install. Really awesome standard wallpaper too.

Saluki Puppy:
this works on the MacBook with the touchpad better than any other Puppy, but I still have to tweak it and the Synaptics driver won't comply. I haven't tried too much though. This is also getting installed.

Kuki:
very minimal distro, I guess a version of Xubuntu. Seems fast enough but has very little included software, maybe a little more than DSL and it shows icons for the drives (DSL doesn't). Also doesn't have any games (but DSL has some games). It was meant for the Acer Aspire One, but will run on other computers, however there is not much control over this, as I tried it on two laptops, and on one it worked but on the other it didn't even boot.

Last edited by mini-jaguar on Tue 20 Mar 2012, 03:49; edited 1 time in total
izezi

PostPosted: Mon 19 Mar 2012, 14:02    Post subject:  

nitehawk wrote:
Tried to get FreeBSD installed this weekend. No go. Pulling hair out.

I hope I'm not committing a transgression by posting this but saw other people posting shots of Windows so...

I've been trying out PC-BSD 9.0, Isotope, for the past couple weeks. It's based on the new FreeBSD 9.0 release with a graphic installer that puts you into KDE 4. I'm using it on my Sony Viao laptop with Intel 1.6GHz Dual Core and 1GB RAM and it recognized all my hardware, including wi-fi, out of the box without having to tweak anything

Where Puppy has .pet PC-BSD uses .pbi files that act like an .exe and install all the dependencies for the application, although you can still use ports which I favor. System and program updates are scanned for and updated through a GUI.

I've used PC-BSD since the early days and this is the most stable and slick version I've seen to date.
FreeBSD.jpeg
 Description   PC-BSD 9.0 Isotope
 Filesize   32.46 KB
 Viewed   296 Time(s)

FreeBSD.jpeg

radgurl.jpeg
 Description   PC-BSD 9.0 Isotope
 Filesize   31.46 KB
 Viewed   276 Time(s)

radgurl.jpeg

Colonel Panic

PostPosted: Tue 20 Mar 2012, 04:23    Post subject:  

izezi wrote:
nitehawk wrote:
Tried to get FreeBSD installed this weekend. No go. Pulling hair out.

I hope I'm not committing a transgression by posting this but saw other people posting shots of Windows so...

I've been trying out PC-BSD 9.0, Isotope, for the past couple weeks. It's based on the new FreeBSD 9.0 release with a graphic installer that puts you into KDE 4. I'm using it on my Sony Viao laptop with Intel 1.6GHz Dual Core and 1GB RAM and it recognized all my hardware, including wi-fi, out of the box without having to tweak anything

Where Puppy has .pet PC-BSD uses .pbi files that act like an .exe and install all the dependencies for the application, although you can still use ports which I favor. System and program updates are scanned for and updated through a GUI.

I've used PC-BSD since the early days and this is the most stable and slick version I've seen to date.

That's interesting. I'd have thought 1 GB of RAM was pretty much minimal for PC-BSD - I thought it needed 2 GB of RAM. How well does it run on your machine, especially with , say, several tabs or windows open in Firefox??

izezi

PostPosted: Tue 20 Mar 2012, 07:29    Post subject:  

Colonel Panic wrote:

That's interesting. I'd have thought 1 GB of RAM was pretty much minimal for PC-BSD - I thought it needed 2 GB of RAM. How well does it run on your machine, especially with , say, several tabs or windows open in Firefox??

FreeBSD sees free memory as wasted memory and uses most of what it has available. Here's a screenshot of top while running 5 tabs open in Firefox, gkrellm, and XXMS so you can see for yourself how resources are being handled. I usually don't keep that many tabs open but it doesn't slow things down any.

I didn't size it down to keep the terminal text as clear as possible.
top.jpeg
Description  system resources
jpeg

Download 
Filename  top.jpeg 
Filesize  274.95 KB 
Downloaded  183 Time(s) 
Billtoo

PostPosted: Sat 24 Mar 2012, 05:58    Post subject: Vector Linux Light version 7 final  

I did a full install of Vector Linux Light 7 with icewm.
Midori and Netsurf aren't very good, using firefox now.
It is good for compiling applications, I've done
mplayer,smplayer,smtube,geany, and firefox 11 with no problems.
Icewm works well too.
screenshot.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   52.85 KB
 Viewed   524 Time(s)

screenshot.jpg

Page 27 of 112 [1674 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, ..., 110, 111, 112 Next
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Misc
Jump to: