Other Distros

Puppy related raves and general interest that doesn't fit anywhere else
Colonel Panic

#331 Post by Colonel Panic »

Aitch and linuxbear; thanks for the tips, I'll look into it. At the moment I'm booting Polarpup from an 8 GB USB pen drive, which at least works and saves wear and tear on the hard drive but is a bit slow.
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

Aitch

#332 Post by Aitch »

In USB2, Sandisk Cruzer Extreme, Adata, OCZ rallye2, or any quad channel/MLC drives are doing 30mb/s read/write these days, faster - up to 90mb/s for some OCZ eSata/USB drives

Price rules, mainly......

Aitch :)

nooby

#333 Post by nooby »

What is the difference between these?

1. Porteus that says it is a Slax Remix Community distro
renamed to Porteus.

2. Salix that DW says is a Slackware but could it not be Slax?

3. Nimblex that I have not looked what it claims to be
but that one behave a bit like Porteus and Salix too.

All three seems more Slax than Slackware and how do them
differ? Well as far as I know I have booted many many Slax
and never booted a real Slackware in frugal install.

So I trust all three is Slax and not Slackware but how do
them differ from each other?

I tried to reuse Porteus cheat code to boot Salix
I am not member of their forum so could not ask.

title Porteus v11_32 username=root passwd=toor
root (hd0,2)
kernel /32bit_v11/boot/vmlinuz from_dev=/dev/sda3 from_dir=/32bit_v11/porteus changes=/mnt/sda3/32bit_v11/porteus11.dat toroot autoexec=xconf; max_loop=256 lxde fsck kmap=se vga=791
initrd /32bit_v11/boot/initrd.xz

title salix using salixlive-xfce-13.37-32.iso username=root passwd=live
root (hd0,2)
kernel /salixboot/vmlinuz rw toroot root=/dev/ram0 from_dev=/dev/sda3 from_dir=/salixlive fsck vga=791 autologin username=root passwd=live changes=slxsave.xfs
initrd /salixboot/initrd.xz

I maybe should not do autologin on Salix but was too lazy to test without. I failed to do changes. Most likely the
ntfs nfs3-g or what name it has needs to be there? Is it?

Very few seems to care abot Slax not even the Slackware
people care about it? I feel for them because they allow
frugal boot which I don't remember that many of the other distros do except Knoppix and Core?
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#334 Post by Lobster »

Just tried Sabayon 8 64bit Gnome edition.

What can we learn (from a pudding)? [tsk tsk . . . must behave - we are named after a missing dog] :oops:
OK first of all I normally like Sabayon. Find it solid . . . not always good for a fluffy Italian pudding . . . [behave! . . . sorry must get my mind in gear . . .] :roll:

OK
1. Three Window Manager versions? Well if Saluki has two (Xfce and JWM) and we end up with a KDE SFS - job done . . .
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/Saluki
2. Straight to desktop. Always a better option. Puppy is getting there. It did good. Most Linux now get straight to desktop. All hardware. Including earlier . . . m m m . . . ?
3. Ease of use. I was struggling to make sense of this interface. I just can not be bothered. We have a phone and touch screen (yet to emerge) generation, that expects to KNOW how things work.
Looked at it. Just not for me.
I much preferred Gentoo 12 much more cutting edge (I think was the version I tried) which Sabayon is based on.

Be interested if others prefer it? Could not find a YouTube vid to give you a taste. Maybe sneaky or Icyos have one?
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

James C

#335 Post by James C »

Been experimenting with an install of the latest Porteus on one of my old P4 test boxes.Pretty fast for a KDE distro.The Porteus documentation for setting up the menu.lst was totally useless but the correct entry wasn't too hard to figure out.Nice to be able to run as root too. :)

Colonel Panic

#336 Post by Colonel Panic »

I've recently been trying Bridge Linux, a little known Arch-based distro based on XFce and including LibreOffice and Chromium.

If you like the exclusively grey interface and desktop wallpaper, it looks pretty good, but at the moment I don't have a good enough reason to install it in place of CTKArch (and I haven't got room for both right now).
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

nooby

#337 Post by nooby »

James C wrote:Been experimenting with an install of the latest Porteus on one of my old P4 test boxes.Pretty fast for a KDE distro.The Porteus documentation for setting up the menu.lst was totally useless but the correct entry wasn't too hard to figure out.Nice to be able to run as root too. :)
You would not mind sharing that menu.lst then? I have also tried to boot
Porteus but I am not good at it.

title Porteus v11_32 username=root passwd=toor
root (hd0,2)
kernel /32bit_v11/boot/vmlinuz from_dev=/dev/sda3 from_dir=/32bit_v11/porteus changes=/mnt/sda3/32bit_v11/porteus11.dat toroot autoexec=xconf; max_loop=256 lxde fsck kmap=se vga=791
initrd /32bit_v11/boot/initrd.xz

It tells me to not use the from_dir=/32bit_v11/porteus that is deprecated it says.

So what did you use instead? In an older test install I used this simplified

title Porteus OS Log in as root Passw is toor then do startx
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
kernel /porteusboot/vmlinuz rw changes=/porteus/slaxsave.dat
initrd /porteusboot/initrd.lz

So hope you take time and share your solution I am rather confused
what to use.

Billtoo

Fuduntu 2012.1

#338 Post by Billtoo »

I downloaded the Fuduntu 2012.1 release, it's supposed to be light and work well on netbooks and other not so powerful computers.
I installed it on my acer revo nettop pc which has an atom dual core multi-threading processor.
So far I like it, the iso is over 900mb but the apps included are good, vlc, chrome browser, brasero, cheese, etc.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that windows etc. have the jigglies, special effects, kind of neat.
Attachments
Workspace 1_001.jpg
(62.26 KiB) Downloaded 858 times
Last edited by Billtoo on Wed 15 Feb 2012, 20:00, edited 1 time in total.

James C

#339 Post by James C »

nooby wrote: You would not mind sharing that menu.lst then? I have also tried to boot
Porteus but I am not good at it.
With the understanding that this install is on an ext3 partition and uses good old legacy Grub (because that combination simply works the best), here's my entry for Porteus in the menu.lst.

Code: Select all

title Porteus, no changes, Copy to ram
root (hd0,7)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz from=/porteus/ ramdisk_size=6666 root=/dev/ram0 rw copy2ram autoexec=xconf;startx
initrd /boot/initrd.xz

title Porteus w/changes
root (hd0,7)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz from=porteus/ ramdisk-size=6666 root=/dev/ram0 rw changes=porteus-save.dat autoexec=xconf;startx
initrd /boot/initrd.xz

Boots straight in being root ...... the first entry allows no changes.... basically like running the live cd. The second entry allows for changes with full read/write access to the entire hard drive.
Running Mepis, Zenwalk, Porteus and about 5 or 6 Puppy installs on this old test box.

nooby

#340 Post by nooby »

Thanks James, I will test it tomorrow. 11.20 PM here now so going to bed.

Is it not surprising that Porteus allow us to be root and to save in that way
while Debian seems to not like us being root on frugal install.

How come they have so different views? When did that happen.
I mean did they have some debate on it and one side lost or what?
How far back in time when that did got decided? How can one win
over people to the more relaxed attitude?

harii4

#341 Post by harii4 »

Porteus looks cool but no real lite DE done yet - kde.
someone is working on an openbox and xfce porteus but i don't know how polished it is?
And its not for full hard drive installs :(

been trying to install an lite slackware but not doing so well - easy if you go for the full kde. :?
too bad there wasn't an updated amigo linux. :)
no luck with absolute linux - my isp keeps screwing it up the download or the cheap CDR ?

Porteus has pburn (download package) which is cool :D
Last edited by harii4 on Wed 15 Feb 2012, 02:42, edited 1 time in total.
3.01 Fat Free / Fire Hydrant featherweight/ TXZ_pup / 431JP2012
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Peace and Justice are two sides of the same coin.

James C

#342 Post by James C »

harii4 wrote:Porteus looks cool but no real lite DE done yet - kde.
someone is working on an openbox and xfce porteus but i don't know how polished it is?
For what it's worth, lxde is included as well... at least on the 32 bit version.Lots lighter than kde. :)

James C

#343 Post by James C »

Porteus as root......
Attachments
snapshot3.png
(119.69 KiB) Downloaded 824 times

nooby

#344 Post by nooby »

Thanks James, yes your code worked well. I also got into root and could do
anything I can in Puppy as far as I tested.

Now I need to make the special slaxsave.dat file thing and place it in the right place. I failed at that last time I tested Porteus on the other acer machine.

This one despite being totally new warned me that I should add fsck to the kernel line. I use gru4dos and that one seems compatible with your grub legacy code.

Why does Slax varieties allow us to boot this way but not Suse or Fedora or
Gento or Mageia or Arch not even PCLinux does it despite them saying them
are so user friendly? To not even allow frugal boot how friendly is that? :)

nooby

#345 Post by nooby »

James C wrote:
harii4 wrote:Porteus looks cool but no real lite DE done yet - kde.
For what it's worth, lxde is included as well... at least on the 32 bit version.Lots lighter than kde. :)
I think I tested this on the other machine and failed to boot it using LXDE in the code. One should use lxde with small chars? I need to test it now :)

How does one know if one are in Kde or LXDE?

I seems to have both Kde and Lxde and Trinity at same time.
I am not computer savvy enough to get what is going on.

It does not remember that I set it to swedish it is still US keyboard. But it does remember what startpage I want

So some things it remembers and some it does not remember. /smile?

Colonel Panic

#346 Post by Colonel Panic »

I've just tested the new version of PCLinuxOS 12.1 "Phoenix" (the XFCE version). I was less than impressed with an earlier version of PCLinuxOS I tried a couple of years back but this one looks like a solid release. The only downside is that it doesn't come with an office suite included in the live version; you get an installer for Libre Office instead which you have to use to download and then install it. Otherwise it definitely merits a recommendation.
Last edited by Colonel Panic on Tue 21 Feb 2012, 19:49, edited 1 time in total.

nooby

#347 Post by nooby »

The maybe expected downside is that for us who love to do frugal install
on NTFS then this distro is not so easy to get going despite them claim
to me user friendly. Obviously they don't see frugal install as user friendly?

Now it can be my lack of knowledge but do they explain how to boot it
on NTFS using grub4dos menu.lst somewhere?
http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=pclinuxos
PCLinuxOS is a user-friendly Linux distribution
Now I am different but to not have frugal install on NTFS
spells extremely unfriendly attitude to some 90% of all computer
owners but that is only my subjective view.
http://www.pclinuxos.com/

bignono1

#348 Post by bignono1 »

For frugal install of Pclinu please see herehttp://www.pclinuxos.com/forum/index.ph ... 168.0.html

nooby

#349 Post by nooby »

bignono1 wrote:For frugal install of Pclinux please see here http://www.pclinuxos.com/forum/index.ph ... 168.0.html
Yes but that works because he use ext4 I am on NTFS
Notice that I have used ext4 and LABEL=PoorMan
I tested PCLOS using another code and it told me it failed to do the loop thing.

Words always get interpreted by at least two persons. The writer and the reader.

To force the reader to format a harddisk is not to be user friendly in my world.
Some 90% of all computers are NTFS so they can only be formatted
to something else if one are good at computers. To me user friendly is like
puppy or porteus which don't require that one format or do partitions.

I have just tested porteus 1.2RC and it worked in frugal install on NTFS
and even made a save file on it.

title Porteus w/changes
root (hd0,1)
kernel (hd0,1)/porteusboot/vmlinuz from_dir=porteus/ ramsize=60% root=/dev/ram0 rw fsck lxde kmap=se changes=/mnt/sda2/porteus12rc-slax.dat
initrd (hd0,1)/porteusboot/initrd.xz
boot

James C

#350 Post by James C »

nooby wrote: To force the reader to format a harddisk is not to be user friendly in my world.
Some 90% of all computers are NTFS so they can only be formatted
to something else if one are good at computers. To me user friendly is like
puppy or porteus which don't require that one format or do partitions.
Nobody is forcing anyone to format a harddisk..... anyone can format or not.... their choice.Anyone can choose to use a distro or not.
I can assure you that a lot of, if not most Linux users are not really interested in trying to boot from an NTFS partition which is why most developers aren't interested either.
You are free to try anything you want but you are going against the mainstream of Linux development in trying something there is no real interest in officially supporting.But, as long as you're having fun....go for it.