Other Distros

Puppy related raves and general interest that doesn't fit anywhere else
starhawk

#301 Post by starhawk »

Downloading xPUD right now, to see what it's like. Looks cool. (No, not as cool as Puppy ;) )

EDIT: posting this from xPUD! Very nice. FWIW, the guy who makes it (Penk, he calls himself) is a fan of Puppy. I've been emailing with him, and I just sent him a few suggestions. All little stuff.

nooby

#302 Post by nooby »

Thanks, would be cool to know how to get the internet going
and if I can borrow drivers from Puppy or standard ubuntu
that finds my internet right away each time.

And how to go around the "Live Session User" lack of
permission to write to the drive one used frugal install
to boot from.

That would be very nice.

Edit I have an Acer D250 Netbook
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

starhawk

#303 Post by starhawk »

There's an extra-software repository. Go here and click the tab labeled "Get More Apps". You probably need the extra drivers package. Just place it in /opt and reboot -- it loads automatically.

If that doesn't work, email the developer -- his Contact Us link is a "mailto" that goes to his personal address. Seems like a really nice and helpful guy. He may be able to tell you how to use Deb packages in there, since it's ubuntu based.

nooby

#304 Post by nooby »

Thanks yes I did include these but I am not sure if them
got included or not. I may have set it up wrong.

No hurry. I give it some time to mature

Today I tested two other linuxes.
Snowlinux but the Ubuntu version. They ahve three Debian
versions but these would not allow me to write to the drive
that I boot from so no need to test them.

Snowlinux was not as good as other ubuntu's that I have used.

I also tested Bloathi which is a fat fat version of Bodhi that
is as slim as they prefer. I like Bodhi and Bloathi but
they are not as good as Netrunner and USU which server
my needs better due to my "cheat" booting.

stu90

#305 Post by stu90 »

Frugal installed latest Porteus 1.1 today - they sure pack a lot of applications into their 255mb .iso - just a shame it is KDE :?

here is Grub2 code i used (found on porteus forum)

Code: Select all

menuentry "Porteus v11_32" {
           set root='(hd0,1)'
           linux /32bit_v11/boot/vmlinuz from_dev=/dev/sda1 from_dir=/32bit_v11/porteus changes=/mnt/sda1/32bit_v11/cfg_v11 toroot autoexec=xconf; max_loop=256
           initrd /32bit_v11/boot/initrd.xz
}

nooby

#306 Post by nooby »

Thanks for your code, much appreciated.
I tried to change it so it works in grub4dos instead.
I used this one
title Porteus v11_32
root (hd0,2)
kernel /32bit_v11/boot/vmlinuz from_dev=/dev/sda3 from_dir=/32bit_v11/porteus changes=/mnt/sda3/32bit_v11/porteus11.dat toroot autoexec=xconf; max_loop=256 lxde fsck kmap=se vga=791
LXDE should be like this instead lxde

Typically I failed to get adobe flash player was dependent on the adblock addon so one need to approve of using flash :)
https://porteus.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=143

Now it all works. Again. once more Much appreciated that
you cared to give me the code that solved Porteus for me.
Now it works.

Puppy is the Champion.
Knoppix for Mr Knopper's long support for Live with having a CD that works without needing to be installed.
He pioneered that thinking so all kudos to him.
But I would not dare to join their forum. They hate noobs like me.

Porteus is my third choice for their friendly support forum and that they allow us to be root without forcing us to do sudo all the time and that they encourage frugal install too.

Then there is nothing and nothing and then my crazy "Cheat" iso booting. Not recommended to the faint of heart failure. Dangerous stuff that one. :)
Last edited by nooby on Thu 26 Jan 2012, 12:14, edited 1 time in total.

Colonel Panic

#307 Post by Colonel Panic »

Bert wrote:Downloaded and installed Quelitu today.

Based on Lubuntu but much much nicer and over 100MB smaller.

It also seems a little lighter on resources than Lubuntu, on my computer at least. The Quelitu makers say it uses about the same memory as Lubuntu.

Quelitu is a green project, aimed at given older hardware a second life. (Min ram =250MB)
The default theme, while nice, has hmm..lots of green. This can eaisily be changed by choosing different colors or themes.
What I liked:
  • Single-click everywhere by default (can be changed to double-click)
    Three ready made desktops available (default, mac-like and netbook/laptop)
    Quelitu is fast and friendly (ex win-users)
    Comes with a good selection of handy tools
Their blog has some screenshots
Think I'll keep following this project :wink:
Quelitu's going to be my next one, for definite; it seems to be what I need. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

Cheers,

CP .
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

nooby

#308 Post by nooby »

stu90 wrote:Frugal installed latest Porteus 1.1 today - they sure pack a lot of applications into their 255mb .iso - just a shame it is KDE :?

here is Grub2 code i used (found on porteus forum)

Code: Select all

menuentry "Porteus v11_32" {
           set root='(hd0,1)'
           linux /32bit_v11/boot/vmlinuz from_dev=/dev/sda1 from_dir=/32bit_v11/porteus changes=/mnt/sda1/32bit_v11/cfg_v11 toroot autoexec=xconf; max_loop=256
}
yes but it does chose LXDE if you add lxde in the code there.

I failed at first writing LXDE but it has to be lxde for it to care :)

nooby

#309 Post by nooby »

xPUD, there is something about it that I really like.
Extreme fast booting. and the only bad thing for me
is that I happen to have a hardware that it has no driver for.

Failed to get LAN internet going. but it had wifi so if I
look up the password for my WPA then I most likely can use it? Surprising that he can make a Ubuntu that small.

I mean the smallest I've seen is some 700kb and his is 70kb or something like that. Amazing

headfound

#310 Post by headfound »

I've been experimenting with multiboot usb installs and got these working together -

F4UBCD - falcon fours ultimate boot cd - lots of rescue tools, hirens, rip linux and minixp all included.
TAILS - the amnesic incognito live system - a linux disc based on debian live (always wanted to try debian but couldn't be bothered to install) which uses the Tor network.
Puppy Exprimo !

I installed the falcon4 disc to usb using the grub4dos installer, then hacked the menu list to boot the other two distros i extracted to the usb key.
It works well apart from tails not shutting down completely - normally it wipes the pc's ram when it shuts down but just hangs when booted this way but as everything is unmounted and stopped it is safe to hit the power switch!

its handy having windows, a secure linux and puppy all to hand :)
Download a better Computer :)
[url=http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=rDTLJYDHX3g]Puppy Linux Song[/url]
[url=http://www.letterbyletter.co.uk]www.letterbyletter.co.uk[/url]

linuxbear

#311 Post by linuxbear »

......Someone gave me a little-bitty 32-gig SSD and I played with it a spell to no avail. It just seemed that my old system would only see the drive intermittently. After a time, I "gave up" and put the drive aside until I get around to buying a newer old mobo. Recently, I had a what-if thought pop into my head from nowhere and decided to put a part of Linux on a conventional drive to give the creaky old mobo a chance to see the SSD. I loaded Bodhi linux on the machine. I put /boot on the conventional SATA hda and / (all the rest) to the SSD. The result was that a full install of Bodhi Linux booted to a usable desktop in about 8 seconds! I am going to try an install of Lucid Pup tonight and see what happens, but the thing might boot so rapidly, it will be hard to time :-)

linuxbear

#312 Post by linuxbear »

oops... a dupe got posted

Colonel Panic

#313 Post by Colonel Panic »

Colonel Panic wrote:
Bert wrote:Downloaded and installed Quelitu today.

Based on Lubuntu but much much nicer and over 100MB smaller.

It also seems a little lighter on resources than Lubuntu, on my computer at least. The Quelitu makers say it uses about the same memory as Lubuntu.

Quelitu is a green project, aimed at given older hardware a second life. (Min ram =250MB)
The default theme, while nice, has hmm..lots of green. This can eaisily be changed by choosing different colors or themes.
What I liked:
  • Single-click everywhere by default (can be changed to double-click)
    Three ready made desktops available (default, mac-like and netbook/laptop)
    Quelitu is fast and friendly (ex win-users)
    Comes with a good selection of handy tools
Their blog has some screenshots
Think I'll keep following this project :wink:
Quelitu's going to be my next one, for definite; it seems to be what I need. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

Cheers,

CP .
A quick update; I've now downloaded Quelitu and run it live. It looks good and runs well on my old Compaq, but like Nooby I wasn't able to install Flash in a live session, so for the time being it's another distro to keep in "reserve".

I've also tried CTKArch, a live disk based on Arch Linux, but the hard drive install failed to produce a working XOrg on my machine so at the moment I can't recommend that one either (unless you want to get to grips with how Arch works, for which it's probably very good).

1,000 posts here I come!
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

James C

#314 Post by James C »

I just installed the latest Bodhi Linux on one of my old P3 test boxes. (1.0 Ghz/512 Mb ram) Pretty quick for one of the 'buntu's but I still prefer Macpup.
The base install is pretty stripped down...the Enlightenment wm and Midori so by the time I installed my preferred apps the installed size grew pretty rapidly.Pretty low resource usage.... but not as good as Puppy.

nooby

#315 Post by nooby »

Bodhi has also a bigger version now named Bloathi
so that one is much bigger some 700MB or so and
have many of the software that people ask for in a distro.

Billtoo

Other Distros

#316 Post by Billtoo »

I've been using ubuntu 11.10 for a couple of weeks, it has some nice
features such as the update manager which shows available security
updates,recommended updates, etc.
The Ubuntu Software Centre is nice too.
I'm even getting used to entering my password often.

I still use puppy daily, I doubt if that will change anytime soon :)

EDIT: I put another buntu (Xubuntu 11.10) on an Athlon dual core pc today, it's working nice too.
Last edited by Billtoo on Mon 30 Jan 2012, 19:24, edited 1 time in total.

nooby

#317 Post by nooby »

But is it not true that you need to do a full install?

I mean how useful is it used in "Live Session User mode"
using frugal install?

Billtoo

#318 Post by Billtoo »

nooby wrote:But is it not true that you need to do a full install?

I mean how useful is it used in "Live Session User mode"
using frugal install?
I did a full install, I can still run puppy from a flash drive or run the live dvd with a save file on a usb drive etc.

Colonel Panic

#319 Post by Colonel Panic »

Colonel Panic wrote:A quick update; I've now downloaded Quelitu and run it live. It looks good and runs well on my old Compaq, but like Nooby I wasn't able to install Flash in a live session, so for the time being it's another distro to keep in "reserve".

I've also tried CTKArch, a live disk based on Arch Linux, but the hard drive install failed to produce a working XOrg on my machine so at the moment I can't recommend that one either (unless you want to get to grips with how Arch works, for which it's probably very good).

1,000 posts here I come!
Another quick update; CTKArch works just fine without an xorg,conf file (apparently the newest versions of Xorg don't need it). So I'm posting from CTKArch now, having added a good compliment of extras from the Arch repositories.

The software is a bit antiquated for a 2012 distro (Firefox 4.0 for a start) but it all seems to work well. Its author is a 20 year old French guy;

http://ctkarch.org/forum/viewtopic.php?id=1&t_id=17

P.S. 1,000 posts now; do I say "Yay!" or "Oh hell!"?
Last edited by Colonel Panic on Sat 28 Jan 2012, 23:56, edited 2 times in total.

Aitch

#320 Post by Aitch »

CP wrote:P.S. 1,000 posts now; do I say "Yay!" or "Oh hell!"?
It's a matter of choice!

I say, 'Where have you been hiding?....'
I joined after you, but have nearly 6500 posts, and have tried both 'Yay' and 'Oh Hell' a few times, but still keep posting as I can't make my mind up which to choose :wink:

I'm currently drawn to look at bodhi and mint-xfce out of boredom, I might add ctkarch, too, thanks

Aitch :)