Other Distros

Puppy related raves and general interest that doesn't fit anywhere else
Colonel Panic

#2791 Post by Colonel Panic »

Most of my recent distro tests have ended with "this or that didn't work", so it's nice to be able to say that Absolute 15 beta 4 does work on my machine. It also has LibreOffice, which I've struggled to run in recent versions of Slackware (although Slackware will install LibreOffice from the Absolute DVD), and Waterfox, a nice 64-bit variant of Firefox.

The only snags are that it has a rather idiosyncratic implementation of IceWM which doesn't allow you to move a window to another workspace by clicking on the title bar, and it's also difficult to change IceWM for another window manager if you prefer it; the themes supplied are, unfortunately, not very visually appealing on the whole (to me anyway). If you're not happy to stick with IceWM and the default configuration, my advice would be to install 64-bit Slackware instead and then grab the extra packages from the Absolute iso or DVD.
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

Billtoo

Other Distros

#2792 Post by Billtoo »

I installed Manjaro Mate 17.1.8 stable to the hard drive of an HP
desktop:

System: Host: bill-pc Kernel: 4.14.39-1-MANJARO x86_64 bits: 64 Desktop: MATE 1.20.0
Distro: Manjaro Linux 17.1.10 Hakoila
Machine: Type: Desktop System: HP product: 260-p029 v: N/A serial: N/A
Mobo: HP model: 81B4 v: 01 serial: N/A UEFI [Legacy]: AMI v: F.04 date: 05/10/2016
CPU: Dual Core: Intel Core i3-6100T type: MT MCP speed: 800 MHz min/max: 800/3200 MHz
Graphics: Card-1: Intel HD Graphics 530 driver: i915 v: kernel
Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.19.6 driver: intel unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,vesa
resolution: 1600x900~60Hz
OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel HD Graphics 530 (Skylake GT2) v: 4.5 Mesa 18.0.3
Network: Card-1: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet driver: r8168
Card-2: Realtek RTL8723BE PCIe Wireless Network Adapter driver: rtl8723be
Drives: HDD Total Size: 931.51 GiB used: 6.64 GiB (0.7%)
Info: Processes: 157 Uptime: 5m Memory: 3.72 GiB used: 557.7 MiB (14.6%) Shell: bash inxi: 3.0.07

Updated,then added Smplayer.Smtube,Kodi,and more.
Dual booting with Ubuntu-18.04 LTS

Works well.

EDIT: After doing a little exploring I tried Mate Tweak in the Control Panel, it allows adding a dock,
moving and hiding panels, etc.
Attachments
screenshot2.jpg
(53.24 KiB) Downloaded 868 times
screenshot.jpg
(38.69 KiB) Downloaded 1410 times
Last edited by Billtoo on Thu 17 May 2018, 16:23, edited 1 time in total.

oui

#2793 Post by oui »

very well! but, ...

... and now :oops: ?

rufwoof

#2794 Post by rufwoof »

BionicDog - rox multiple pinboards, rox panel at top (supports dragging/dropping both the icons into the panel and drag/drop files onto those icons to open them). Top right are the three panels - similar in many ways to switching to another desktop (each with different icons/wallpapers. Also if you drag a file to one of those I have a SOAP script to drop a copy of that file as a icon on the desktop corresponding to the desktop panel icon the file is dropped on), moving left is shutdown, reboot and drag/drop image file icon to set that as the wallpaper for that pinboard (SOAP script). Moving left further is volume up/down ... and the leftmost set are just common programs I use.

Jwm window manager with auto hide panel at the bottom/centre (also have a small auto hide dock to the left top screen edge). Clock is also the menu button, or showdesktop if right mouse clicked.

For menus I'm just using pcmanfm - opening menu://applications, which also supports auto mounting by clicking disks etc.

In effect the "menus" are the combination of pcmanfm showing /usr/share/applications files/folders ... and the layout itself i.e. combination of the top rox panel and the different pinboards and icons on those pinboards. Such that my actual jwm menu is very spartan (Terminal, Exit, Restart, which are in the top rox panel anyway). I also use desktop icons for web bookmarks, so when viewing one maximised firefox tab -> mouse to bottom centre to pop up the jwm panel and right click the clock to reveal the desktop (I also have a rox panel for showdesktop as the rightmost icon in that panel) and click one of the links on the desktop/pinboard for that link to be loaded as another firefox tab.

I have no need for multiple desktops, multiple pinboards is enough as I only use a single monitor. Aero snap is on in jwm, so dragging a window to the far left (or right) auto resizes it to half screen (handy for setting up two rox-filers side by side for copying files between the two. I do like the rox-filer function of typing say .png in a window to auto select all .png files in readiness for being dragged to another window. There's also another rox trick that I don't hear many using where if you press Ctrl-1 whilst in one folder and then navigate to another folder (or even another rox-filer window), you just have to press 1 to jump back to that folder again (that's sticky i.e. stays the same across reboots, and you can do similar for keys 2 to 9 as well).

Installed Firefox 60 and LibreOffice, used the QuickRemaster that comes with BionicDog ... and all seems to be working well. Overall I've set it up to have a very similar layout to my OpenBSD dual boot choice, so as to maintain consistency between the two. I've set BionicDog to use a very restricted userid for firefox, everything else (non internet) running as root.
Attachments
s.jpg
(32.07 KiB) Downloaded 1195 times
s2.jpg
(43.8 KiB) Downloaded 1216 times

nitehawk

#2795 Post by nitehawk »

[quote="Colonel Panic"Absolute 15 beta 4 does work on my machine. It also has LibreOffice, which I've struggled to run in recent versions of Slackware (although Slackware will install LibreOffice from the Absolute DVD), and Waterfox, a nice 64-bit variant of Firefox.

..... my advice would be to install 64-bit Slackware instead and then grab the extra packages from the Absolute iso or DVD.[/quote]

Oh thanks for that info, Colonel,....I was thinking of using Salix on my old (VERY old laptop) but may just do the Slackware/Absolute/Salix apps, instead). I have been using Salix on about 3 other computers,..but may try Slackware/Absolute instead.

Edit: "Very old laptop" has been running Antix as it's main OS, and runs very well. Have an old Precise Puppy on it as well. Actually, I hate to upset the arrangement, but am itching to try something else on it.

Billtoo

Other Distros

#2796 Post by Billtoo »

I installed Ubuntu-18.04 LTS to the hard drive of my 9 year old Lenovo:

System: Host: bill-ThinkCentre-M58e Kernel: 4.15.0-20-generic x86_64 bits: 64 Desktop: Gnome 3.28.1
Distro: Ubuntu 18.04 LTS
Machine: Device: desktop System: LENOVO product: 7491B8U v: ThinkCentre M58e serial: N/A
Mobo: LENOVO model: N/A serial: N/A BIOS: LENOVO v: 5HKT39AUS date: 06/17/2009
CPU: Dual core Intel Core2 Duo E8400 (-MCP-) speed/max: 2572/3003 MHz
Graphics: Card: NVIDIA GF108 [GeForce GT 430]
Display Server: x11 (X.Org 1.19.6 ) drivers: nvidia (unloaded: modesetting,fbdev,vesa,nouveau)
Resolution: 1920x1080@60.00hz
OpenGL: renderer: GeForce GT 430/PCIe/SSE2 version: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 390.48
Network: Card: Marvell 88E8057 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller driver: sky2
Drives: HDD Total Size: 320.1GB (2.6% used)
Info: Processes: 226 Uptime: 2:24 Memory: 2172.2/3944.7MB Client: Shell (bash) inxi: 2.3.56

It works great, has support for my legacy Nvidia graphics card.
Attachments
screenshot.jpg
(55.78 KiB) Downloaded 995 times

Colonel Panic

#2797 Post by Colonel Panic »

nitehawk wrote:Oh thanks for that info, Colonel,....I was thinking of using Salix on my old (VERY old laptop) but may just do the Slackware/Absolute/Salix apps, instead). I have been using Salix on about 3 other computers,..but may try Slackware/Absolute instead.

Edit: "Very old laptop" has been running Antix as it's main OS, and runs very well. Have an old Precise Puppy on it as well. Actually, I hate to upset the arrangement, but am itching to try something else on it.
Hi again nitie, good to see you here again! Salix is a very good distro IMO, and importantly for me it looks good; too many distros these days look drab and uninspiring.

Salix used to be available with a number of different window managers but recent versions have been XFce-only. I've recently installed Mate on it, which works really well and I think has a "softer" aesthetic than XFce.

Another one I can recommend is Slackel; it's a Greek distro based on both Slackware and Salix and which uses openbox as its main window manager. Like Salix and Slackware too, it's available in both 32-bit and 64-bit versions.

Vector Light's very good too; it uses IceWM and has lighter apps than the main distro, for example Seamonkey instead of Firefox / Thunderbird and Abiword instead of LibreOffice (though you can easily install the "heavier" apps if you want).
Last edited by Colonel Panic on Sun 13 May 2018, 22:42, edited 1 time in total.
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

nitehawk

#2798 Post by nitehawk »

Colonel Panic wrote: Vector Light's very good too; it uses IceWM and has lighter apps than the main distro, for example Seamonkey instead of Firefox / Thunderbird and Abiword instead of LibreOffice (though you can easily install the "heavier" apps if you want).
Hmmm,...I've actually lost track of Vector lately. The forum seemed very quiet, and I drifted away. I do like IceWM, though. That's why I think I will just upgrade Antix on the old and fussy laptop. For my biggest computer, I just go with MX (I added LXDE just for fun).

Colonel Panic

#2799 Post by Colonel Panic »

nitehawk wrote:
Colonel Panic wrote: Vector Light's very good too; it uses IceWM and has lighter apps than the main distro, for example Seamonkey instead of Firefox / Thunderbird and Abiword instead of LibreOffice (though you can easily install the "heavier" apps if you want).
Hmmm,...I've actually lost track of Vector lately. The forum seemed very quiet, and I drifted away. I do like IceWM, though. That's why I think I will just upgrade Antix on the old and fussy laptop. For my biggest computer, I just go with MX (I added LXDE just for fun).
I've found that too. I started a thread there about whether or not you could use Softmaker Office in VLocity (64-bit Vector) and three months then elapsed with no replies;

http://forum.vectorlinux.com/index.php? ... 106540#new

I find Slack-based distros less problematic at the moment than Ubuntu / Debian based ones on the whole (especially the most recent ones) and they're fairly easy on resources too which is why I tend to use them more. Vector 7.2 is still fairly new and so the software isn't too much out of date (Seamonkey 48, for example, instead of 49.3).

I may give AntiX another spin though as I've always got on well with that one in the past. I agree about IceWM too; it's very lightweight for the number of features it has.

Colonel Panic

#2800 Post by Colonel Panic »

A quick update; I've just updated AntiX and it's interesting to see that LibreOffice updates to 5.2.7.2, i.e. to a version just before the time it stopped being able to use Type 1 fonts. I assume this was a deliberate decision on the AntiX devs' part.

I've also given OpenSUSE another try and found that, using Mate and with several tabs open in Chromium, it "locks up" temporarily due to the demands on system resources. I've switched to a very light window manager (twm) instead and it's working fine now but it's definitely one of the more demanding distros to use as regards system resources.

[EDIT: X Windows in AntiX has just broken after I tried to update AntiX - sad. I managed to rescue it by firstly reinstalling XOrg and, when the installed window managers still wouldn't work properly, installing a tiling window manager (i3) which I'm using at the moment. It works but it takes some getting used to if you're used to a stacking window manager.]
Last edited by Colonel Panic on Fri 28 Sep 2018, 06:30, edited 3 times in total.

Billtoo

Other Distros

#2801 Post by Billtoo »

I installed Ubuntu 18.04 LTS to the hard drive of an older HP desktop:

System: Host: bill-GN559AA-ABA-a6220n Kernel: 4.15.0-20-generic x86_64 bits: 64 Desktop: Gnome 3.28.1
Distro: Ubuntu 18.04 LTS
Machine: Device: desktop System: HP-Pavilion product: GN559AA-ABA a6220n serial: N/A
Mobo: ASUSTeK model: Berkeley v: 1.04 serial: N/A BIOS: American Megatrends v: 5.13 date: 10/24/2007
CPU: Dual core Intel Core2 Duo E4500 (-MCP-) speed/max: 1438/2200 MHz
Graphics: Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Oland [Radeon HD 8570 / R7 240/340 OEM]
Display Server: x11 (X.Org 1.19.6 ) driver: radeon Resolution: 1920x1080@60.00hz, 1920x1080@60.00hz
OpenGL: renderer: AMD OLAND (DRM 2.50.0 / 4.15.0-20-generic, LLVM 6.0.0) version: 4.5 Mesa 18.0.0-rc5
Network: Card: Intel 82566DC-2 Gigabit Network Connection driver: e1000e
Drives: HDD Total Size: 400.1GB (3.5% used)
Weather: Conditions: 63 F (17 C) - Mostly Cloudy Time: May 21, 2:08 PM EDT
Info: Processes: 226 Uptime: 3:40 Memory: 1170.2/3944.8MB Client: Shell (bash) inxi: 2.3.56

I installed software with the Ubuntu Software app, also with Synaptic.

It works very well on this older pc.
Attachments
screenshot.jpg
(73 KiB) Downloaded 747 times

Colonel Panic

#2802 Post by Colonel Panic »

Just installed the latest beta of Refracta (beta 2) and Mageia 6. Mageia looks good with a deep blue theme throughout and comes with a full set of applications, though like all the other rpm-based distros I've tried it's quite heavy on system resources.

Refracta is at the other extreme from Mageia in terms of size and comprehensiveness. It fits on a single CD-R and is quite a "bare bones" distro; it comes with abiword instead of a full office suite, no spreadsheet although there is a menu option for installing LibreOffice (without a spell checker though).

It also looks good though in a different way; it has a darkish, "starry night" theme to it.

Colonel Panic

#2803 Post by Colonel Panic »

Liquid Lemur is one of those distros that most people thought had disappeared (indeed, its developer said he wasn't going to work on it any more), but nevertheless here it is again with a new testing release (3.0.0 alpha), which I've been trying.

Unusually for a distro, it has Windowmaker as its window manager, and it works well except that it has a lot of transparency as standard and I kept trying to minimise windows only to find that I was actually clicking on the one above it :) The configuration is easily changed though; the distro comes with a comprehensive control centre / program launcher called APEman.

It also comes with a really good implementation of Conky, which gives the time and date in large characters at the top right (where I think they should be) and system info in smaller characters below it on the right of the screen and in the middle.

One deficiency it has IMO is that it doesn't come with a lot of standard software; there's no office suite, for example, so you have to install one. Also, it has Chromium as it main browser, which I find quite heavy on resources although Firefox is easily installed, and Geary as its e-mail client whereas I prefer Thunderbird (being more used to the way it works).

Definitely recommended though for anyone who wants a distro that's a bit different, visually quite attractive, and which (being based on Debian) also works on older computers. Even though it's still only an alpha release, it's obvious that a lot of work and thought has gone into it.

Colonel Panic

#2804 Post by Colonel Panic »

I've now installed Bunsen Labs Helium (final version), which has just been released. Again, it's working well but I feel I have to take issue with the theme colours; why, especially for a distro released in the summer, do we need all these dark blues and greys?

By contrast I'm posting this from Exe / Gnu, which is a distro based on Devuan with the Trinity desktop manager and a nice summery wallpaper of a reservoir with trees framing it and mountains in the distance; far more appropriate IMO.

[EDIT; I've now added some new wallpapers to Helium, including one called Glass Green with which I think it looks a lot better. Unfortunately the screenshot's too big for me to be able to include it here.]
Last edited by Colonel Panic on Wed 20 Jun 2018, 15:37, edited 2 times in total.

nosystemdthanks

#2805 Post by nosystemdthanks »

im modifying void linux these days, its a bit tedious. i think its got major potential, wow a lot of stuff doesnt work though.

what does work tends to work very well, im done with debian and devuan, its time to get away from those. if there were more puppies like grafpup and librepup, if iguleder were still here i might do more with puppy. its really fine that no one cared about refractahrpup, corepup is awesome by the way.

if more puppy users were dedicated to free software ideals (im not complaining) and not being root-- well, i used puppy and i loved being root all the time, which is why i found the next best thing to "root all the time," root desktop.

void is like the opposite of puppy-- it was made by a bsd fan and you can tell. but thats cool in a way-- if tedious.

first thing to do was add python. to the live iso. to get mpv or qemu working, have to use binaries from debian right now-- not great!

but everything im doing with distros came out of working with puppy. that didnt work out in the most direct fashion, but what i got from it is a remaster tool i love and use on several distros unrelated to each other.
[color=green]The freedom to NOT run the software, to be free to avoid vendor lock-in through appropriate modularization/encapsulation and minimized dependencies; meaning any free software can be replaced with a user’s preferred alternatives.[/color]

Colonel Panic

#2806 Post by Colonel Panic »

I've just installed Crunchbang Plus Plus (32-bit). It's a bit more "vanilla" than its close relative (Bunsen Labs Helium), but it works very well and IMO merits a recommendation, especially for people with older computers.

Colonel Panic

#2807 Post by Colonel Panic »

I managed to install Sparky 5.4 (the latest version) but it wouldn't boot :( so I've gone back to an old favourite - MX 16, which on updating works really well (Firefox updates to 60, for example).

It's getting to the stage now where there seem to be very few distros that work without a hitch on this machine, which at ten years old is frankly showing its age, but after all you only need *one (and Puppy still works).

* In practice I'd have a minimum of two apart from Puppy, because there are some programs which work well on Debian-based distros but which don't work well on Slack-based ones, and vice versa. I'd have at a minimum one of each.

[UPDATE, 23rd September; Sparky 5.5 is even worse on my machine. I couldn't get it to boot even to a live session.]
Last edited by Colonel Panic on Sun 23 Sep 2018, 17:05, edited 2 times in total.

rufwoof

Bar connection requests from certain countries

#2808 Post by rufwoof »

After seeing regular probes of various kinds, more often originating from within China, I've opted to totally bar connection requests from certain countries (using OpenBSD and pf) as per https://undeadly.org/cgi?action=article ... 0527054301

Was interesting to watch what type of penetration methods are being deployed, but time to ring the bell.

rufwoof

#2809 Post by rufwoof »

I've been pretty hard core jwm/rox for years now. However increasingly I'm booting cwm. Key combinations are 'awkward' at first, but with practice become second nature. I have mostly been using full screen windows and flipping between those windows, however more recently I've moved from using ctrl-alt-f for full screen to ctrl-alt-m for maximise to full screen bar the gap border (that I have set to be the left screen edge).

https://youtu.be/9oTIsPe_x_g

ctrl-alt-f is still of course available and useful in some cases.

I'm not a great one for using many different combinations of key-combinations. In addition to the above the only others I tend to use are alt-shift-? to invoke the execute program prompt (i.e. type fir ... and press enter to start firefox etc.), alt tab (thumb and pinky) to flip between windows, ctl-alt-x to quit a window (crab finger arrangement) ... oh and I also set/use ctrl-alt-comma (<) and ctl-alt-period (>) for volume up and down.

Billtoo

Other Distros

#2810 Post by Billtoo »

I installed Mint 19 to my HP mid tower pc:

System: Host: bill-260-p029 Kernel: 4.15.0-20-generic x86_64 bits: 64 Desktop: MATE 1.20.1
Distro: Linux Mint 19 Tara
Machine: Device: desktop System: HP product: 260-p029 serial: N/A
Mobo: HP model: 81B4 v: 01 serial: N/A UEFI [Legacy]: AMI v: F.04 date: 05/10/2016
Battery hidpp__0: charge: N/A condition: NA/NA Wh
hidpp__1: charge: N/A condition: NA/NA Wh
CPU: Dual core Intel Core i3-6100T (-MT-MCP-) speed/max: 800/3200 MHz
Graphics: Card: Intel HD Graphics 530
Display Server: x11 (X.Org 1.19.6 ) drivers: modesetting (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
Resolution: 1920x1080@60.00hz
OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel HD Graphics 530 (Skylake GT2) version: 4.5 Mesa 18.0.0-rc5
Network: Card-1: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller driver: r8169
Card-2: Realtek RTL8723BE PCIe Wireless Network Adapter driver: rtl8723be
Drives: HDD Total Size: 1000.2GB (2.5% used)
Weather: Conditions: 82 F (28 C) - Partly Cloudy Time: July 3, 7:59 PM EDT
Info: Processes: 196 Uptime: 1:22 Memory: 601.4/3807.0MB Client: Shell (bash) inxi: 2.3.56

I installed some applications, didn't try flatpaks yet.
Turned on time shift, other features are available but haven't tried
them yet.

It's running fine so far.
Attachments
screenshot.jpg
(66.2 KiB) Downloaded 1130 times