Other Distros

Puppy related raves and general interest that doesn't fit anywhere else
nitehawk

#2266 Post by nitehawk »

I was tinkering around on my old laptop computer very early this morning (very dangerous situation with first cup of coffee). Stumbled back on the website of LinuxBBQ. Wow. That's dangerous. Couldn't fight temptation. After my tedious days requirements of "must-dos",....have settled down with old laptop to explore LinuxBBQ further.

Already took this old laptop (I'm trying to revive with great success),..with MX-15,..and stuck fluxbox on it,.......with also major success BTW. But am totally compelled by forces unknown to try LinuxBBQ. Will report. Should have been wearing my tinfoil hat,..I know (too late).

Galbi

#2267 Post by Galbi »

nitehawk wrote: But am totally compelled by forces unknown to try LinuxBBQ.
So go ahead, you won´t get disappointed.

I'm making room in a partition to try the Proof flavor.

Saludos.
Remember: [b][i]"pecunia pecuniam parere non potest"[/i][/b]

Colonel Panic

#2268 Post by Colonel Panic »

BTW, if anyone does install CrunchBang++, I'd install alsa-utils as well because it's much easier to adjust the sound levels with alsamixer than it is with whatever built-in program CB++ uses. (I've already mentioned DMenu, but I think it comes already installed in CB++).

(This might also hold for other debian derivatives, as I believe Linux BBQ is one; I haven't tried it so don't know).
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

nitehawk

#2269 Post by nitehawk »

Colonel P,...
So far I haven't had a whole lot of luck with CrunchBang ++. Could be my CD burn,....but it seems to set my CPU racing to the moon and back!!!!. So don't know as yet. LinuxBBQ was sooooooooo overwhelmingly tempting. I have it burned to CD,...but came across reviews about the problems with the incessant upgrades causing mega problems...(since it IS basically SID) I burned the "Bork!" rendition,...so may have a look at some of the others (there only seems to be two of the 64bit versions). So far,...MX-15 with Fluxbox seems to be the one of the main-stream Debian editions that is working super-well for me (on both my "Uber-Mega-Gamer-Monster-Computer" ---down to my little wimpy HP Pavilion DV2000 finiky-fussy laptop). Right now I have to give 5 gold stars to MX-15 for it's no-nonsense OOTB pure Debian stuff.

I still want to keep trying CrunchBang ++ and LinuxBBq (as I love their philosophies.).

BTW,...how is something like "DebianDog"??? Maybe I should give that a looky (with my love of pure Debian,...coupled with Puppies).

Absolute Linux is pretty terrific, as well. I love it's basic, pure Slackware approach,..but getting new packages and software is,....well,.....the same headache and problems that pure Slackware has. Guess that's why I prefer Debian (and Debian-based distros). Mucho,....mucho,..mucho apps!!!!! Anytime,..anywhere,....you need it? Yup,..there's an app for that!

Also giving Barry's Quirky Xerus 8.0 another whrill on my picky-fussy laptop again. Seemed to work well,...but I messed that install up whilst fooling around with these Debian things. Barry always had my top-notch devotion since I first fell in love with Puppy 3.01. (ahhhhh, that was lovely).
I had a couple of old Hp Vectras then (128megs of ram,...20G hard drives,..etc. etc. etc.).

Colonel Panic

#2270 Post by Colonel Panic »

Hi again nitie,

I think from what you're saying there's no perfect distro for everybody. I've been trying today to install some of the games I play on Legacy OS2 and Absolute, but have found it too difficult and it's too easy to just go back to Absolute.

Why isn't Absolute the perfect distro? Too drab looking for me. You're pretty much stick with IceWM as it's very hard to switch to an other window manager - harder than it is in raw Slackware - and the colour schemes are basically grey, darker grey and lighter grey (I've tried installing other IceWM themes but they wouldn't show up in the menu).
Last edited by Colonel Panic on Sat 14 May 2016, 17:34, edited 2 times in total.
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

starhawk

#2271 Post by starhawk »

Hey Colonel, there's something wrong with your keyboard, I think. That's a lot of typos! You alright, dude?

Colonel Panic

#2272 Post by Colonel Panic »

starhawk wrote:Hey Colonel, there's something wrong with your keyboard, I think. That's a lot of typos! You alright, dude?
Thanks for your concern starhawk,

Not 100% at the moment to be honest (a bit of a stomach bug) but I was still being a bit lazy there. I submitted the post from Crunchbang++ and decided to go over to Absolute (where I'm posting from now) to spellcheck it. I could have done the whole thing in CB++, but since I was posting about Absolute it seemed like a good idea to switch to it for the purposes of comparison.

Apologies for your trouble anyway. I wasn't expecting anyone to respond to my post so quickly!

Best,

CP .

starhawk

#2273 Post by starhawk »

Ha! I do tend to notice those sorts of things. Funny, I also tend to edit as I type...

Sorry to hear 'bout your stomach bug. Those are nasty. Get well soon!

nitehawk

#2274 Post by nitehawk »

Hello there, Colonel P!

So sorry about the stomach bug.

Absolute Linux has become one of my favorite distros. I had success in getting very nice backgrounds with it (can't remember now what I did, exactly).
It worked just so well with my old laptop. I think I have so much more fun with my old "crappy" hardware computers,...than my 2 very "super-mega-monster" computers. I mean,...they can run ANYTHING!!!! (but that's no fun,...now is it??)

Trying to make the really fussy older stuff work with Linux is the fun stuff.

PS: My "mega-computers" can be seen in photos on my Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/nite.breez.7
(but I love my little crappy laptop,...my 2 OLD p4s,...and my really ratty PIII)

Colonel Panic

#2275 Post by Colonel Panic »

Starhawk and nitie,

Thanks for your kind wishes! This is definitely the best Linux forum out there.

It was a mild dose of diarrhoea, probably caused by a virus (felt like I'd swallowed a lump of ice). I don’t like to complain or comment about anything health related when nitie has suffered a serious health crisis, but I guess that one was a bit too obvious to ignore. I think I'm pretty much over it now anyway.

Anyway, I agree with nitie that it’s fun to get really old computers working with appropriate software that doesn't make too many demands on system resources.

Truth be known, I’m a bit disappointed that I can't get Legacy OS2 working on this machine, but it just won’t boot. I haven't found any other distro that has so much of the software i like and use as standard, and amazingly it still all fits on one CD.

nitehawk

#2276 Post by nitehawk »

Colonel Panic wrote:I don’t like to complain or comment about anything health related when nitie has suffered a serious health crisis
Hey,....
complain away,....I'm doing pretty good for now.
Stay well,...

and yes,..I really do still like John Biles' Legacy OS! Wish he had a 64 bit version,....the 32bit was so nice! I am thinking about dragging out my old PIII and slapping Legacy on it. That is just a lovely OS,..and can do so much even now.
John Biles,..where are you? We need you,....

rokytnji

#2277 Post by rokytnji »

Just a hint. If you install locate or mlocate or some other file locator in absolute linux.
You can find where the icewm themes are at that show in the menu.

I have been running icewm in AntiX since version 6.5 and AntiX keeps themes in
/home/<user name>/.icewm/themes.

Here is a site where I color mine up besides using your sites excellent made icewm themes.

http://icewm2.wz.cz/themes.html

I've run some tweaky Window manager setups on oldy gear in the past.

The above one is fluxbox with a tint2 panel on the side that autohides.

Here is icewm setup guide wrote by a online buddy of mine through the years.

http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=282433

This is one of my Icewm desktops I posted at the Mepis forums a while back

http://forum.mepiscommunity.org/viewtop ... 95&t=39499

I am pretty confident you can get absolute linux to look just as good.

And if you miss windows 95 look

http://antix.freeforums.org/download/file.php?id=968

or XP look

http://antix.freeforums.org/download/file.php?id=969

and some flat theme too boot.

http://antix.freeforums.org/download/file.php?id=973

Bye now. I have some motorcycle runs to go too in the planning stages this summer.
Might be in South Carolina from TX solo on a 1200cc sportster in June. Planning starts now though. :wink:

nitehawk

#2278 Post by nitehawk »

Oooooh,...I like!!!
I had just added IceWM to MX-15 (on my little laptop),...and came by here, and saw this! And to top it off,...I had also just re-installed Absolute Linux on here as well (didn't as yet have time to do any setting-up or tweaking).

Looks like I'll have PLENTY to do now,....

Colonel Panic

#2279 Post by Colonel Panic »

Thanks Roky; I'll give those suggestions a try when I'm next in Absolute.

Another good one; Neptune has just released an updated version of their 4.5 release, 4.5.1. Neptune is based on an earlier version of Debian Stable than Jessie (Wheezy) and being 64-bit, and based on KDE, you don't see much change from 7 GB for a full install; but it looks quite slick and works well.

Colonel Panic

#2280 Post by Colonel Panic »

Yet another good one (maybe I should find a more imaginative way to start my posts in this thread?). I've just installed PCLinux Mate (forget the version number, but it's the latest one), and it's working well.

nitehawk

#2281 Post by nitehawk »

Colonel Panic wrote:Yet another good one (maybe I should find a more imaginative way to start my posts in this thread?). I've just installed PCLinux Mate (forget the version number, but it's the latest one), and it's working well.
That's a distro I like as well. I used it for awhile on my main computer,...and it was so intuitive (everything got setup and running with no problem at all). And it was very attractive! I guess I didn't care for a rolling-release type distro,....and I grew pretty tired of having "updates" evertime I would log in.
But other than that,...it was pretty outstanding.

I'm still using MX-15 and Stella 6.7 on my big, main computer, though. On my little laptop,..it's still Vector Lite 7.1,...and Quirky Xerus 8.0. I still have an empty partition on it's 500G hard drive, though. I'm trying out different stuff on that. Undecided on that just now. Did have Absolute Linux,..but not so sure right now if it will stay (now that Vector Lite is on there,...and working well). I want a small Debian-based distro on it (as well as Vector and Quirky). Still looking for that. Bodhi may win out.

Robert123

#2282 Post by Robert123 »

Hello Nitehawk,

I am a long time user of LinuxBBQ and I am posting from a built up from NOX version with JWM based on Jessie stable. Might fit your needs.

http://linuxbbq.org/bbs/index.php

nitehawk

#2283 Post by nitehawk »

Robert123 wrote:Hello Nitehawk,

I am a long time user of LinuxBBQ and I am posting from a built up from NOX version with JWM based on Jessie stable. Might fit your needs.

http://linuxbbq.org/bbs/index.php
Yes,...I thought about LinuxBBQ,..and even downloaded it. I might get a chance to try it after all,...since just this afternoon I crashed my little laptop to the moon and back! :lol: :lol: :lol:
(used kitty-litter happens sometime). I was trying something (I will NOT go into detail, because it was pretty stupid, and I don't wanna look dumb or anything like that, y'know).

So now I have a nice, clean 500G hard drive to start all over again on (LOL!). Going over to LinuxBBQ and have a really good look right now,........

nitehawk

#2284 Post by nitehawk »

Dug out an older P4, also with a 500G hard drive. Re-discovering LupuPuppy 5287. Nice. Also put Devuan 8 (Jessie) on it as well. Everything runs fast and smooth. I had forgotten just how nice the up-dated Lupu Puppy was. I added Chromium and Palemoon on it for even more functionality. I find myself using this older computer as my "main machine" right now,....since it is working so well. Amazing what the right OS can do for older hardware.

Robert123

#2285 Post by Robert123 »

Hello Nitehawk have you tried Antix - these days you can either choose to use Debian Stable or Sid Repos during install. Ideal for old machines.