Other Distros

Puppy related raves and general interest that doesn't fit anywhere else
Pelo

my Puppy in my pocket, that is Life :)

#2116 Post by Pelo »

Laptop, wireless and my Puppy in my pocket, that is Life :)
But for my seventies, perhaps i will try a big Linux, wired to my chair..
i will try Linux Mint. But not yet. UBUNTU was really boring me, before i discover the speedy Puppy. :)

Billtoo

#2117 Post by Billtoo »

Colonel Panic wrote:I've been trying out WM-Live, a live distro based on Debian and the latest version of the WindowMaker window manager and designed to showcase Windowmaker's full capabilities, which are very impressive and also useful.
I installed WM-Live to the hard drive of my Acer laptop:

Summary
Computer
Processor 4x Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-3227U CPU @ 1.90GHz
Memory 5908MB (631MB used)
Operating System Debian GNU/Linux 8.2
User Name bill (Bill)
Date/Time Thu 14 Jan 2016 10:59:17 AM EST
Display
Resolution 1366x768 pixels
OpenGL Renderer Mesa DRI Intel(R) Ivybridge Mobile
X11 Vendor The X.Org Foundation
Multimedia
Audio Adapter HDA-Intel - HDA Intel PCH

I added several applications including kdgames,kodi, and iceweasel.
The touch screen is supported.

Dual booting with Linuxmint-17.2

Works great.

Edit: I did a second install of wmlive to the hard drive of my 2008 imac, works great on this one too.
Attachments
Screenshot2.jpg
(106.55 KiB) Downloaded 716 times
Screenshot.jpg
(147.53 KiB) Downloaded 1377 times
Last edited by Billtoo on Sat 23 Jan 2016, 20:48, edited 1 time in total.

eric52

#2118 Post by eric52 »

Got a 600GB SATA drive out of a dump machine today that runs OK on a Dell E521 wreck with 3GB RAM also from the dump. The drive has an HP recover partition for Win7 but won't recover and boot. Installed TahrPup and ran gparted on all but sda3, but it still won't recover. Now I've got Mint 17.2 updating on it just fine. Thought I'd try one of the bigger babies, but I'll probably pepper it with Puppy frugals. I want to explore 64-bit. Mint's very nice and not as much of an SUV as Windows, but you can still sense the solid weight of it.
Today only. Anger not. Worry not. Be grateful working karma. Be kind.

Smithy

Re: Slackware 14.2 beta

#2119 Post by Smithy »

peebee wrote:http://alien.slackbook.org/blog/pulseau ... rent-beta/
Wed Jan 13 00:01:23 UTC 2016
Hey folks, happy new year!
After upgrading to BlueZ 5 recently, everything seemed to be working great,
but then it was pointed out that Bluetooth audio was no longer working.
The reason was that the newer BlueZ branch had dropped ALSA support and now
required PulseAudio. So with some trepidation, we began investigating adding
PulseAudio to Slackware. Going back to BlueZ 4 wasn't an option with various
dependent projects either having dropped support for it, or consiering doing
so. After several iterations here refining the foundation packages and
recompiling and tweaking other packages to use PulseAudio, it's working well
and you'll likely not notice much of a change. But if you're using Bluetooth
audio, or needing to direct audio through HDMI, you'll probably find it a lot
easier to accomplish that.
Best of all, we're finally a modern, relevant Linux distro! ;-)
Thanks to Mario Preksavec, Heinz Wiesinger, and Robby Workman for a lot of
help and testing. Bug reports, complaints, and threats can go to me.
Also, enjoy a shiny new LTS 4.4.0 kernel and consider this 14.2 beta 1.
Note: Slackware is NOT going to add systemd. It’s too controversial and there is no need. Your sleep will be sound now.
Does this mean that we could possibly have a Puppy Slacko (64 bit+32 bit) with built in
(or additional package) of fully functioning Bluetooth? Sounds like Uncle Pulse doesn't interfere with Aunty Alsa.
http://distrowatch.com/?newsid=09253
Last edited by Smithy on Sun 17 Jan 2016, 00:07, edited 1 time in total.

Billtoo

Other Distros

#2120 Post by Billtoo »

I installed Linuxmint-17.3 Rosa 64bit XFCE4 community spin to the hard drive of my 2008
imac:

Summary
Computer
Processor 2x Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E8135 @ 2.40GHz
Memory 4028MB (465MB used)
Operating System Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa
User Name bill (Bill)
Date/Time Sat 16 Jan 2016 10:00:25 AM EST
Display
Resolution 1680x1050 pixels
OpenGL Renderer Gallium 0.4 on AMD RV610
X11 Vendor The X.Org Foundation
Multimedia
Audio Adapter HDA-Intel - HDA Intel
Input Devices
Power Button
Sleep Button
Power Button
Video Bus
Apple, Inc Apple Keyboard
Logitech USB Optical Mouse
Apple, Inc Apple Keyboard
HDA Intel Line
HDA Intel Headphone
Apple Computer, Inc. IR Receiver
Built-in iSight
applesmc

Added several applications including kodi,kdegames,and google chrome.

Also have the 17.3 Rosa 64bit KDE community spin on another partition,
both versions are working well.
Attachments
Screenshot.jpg
(57.74 KiB) Downloaded 1313 times

Colonel Panic

Re: Slackware 14.2 beta

#2121 Post by Colonel Panic »

peebee wrote:http://alien.slackbook.org/blog/pulseau ... rent-beta/
Wed Jan 13 00:01:23 UTC 2016
Hey folks, happy new year!
After upgrading to BlueZ 5 recently, everything seemed to be working great,
but then it was pointed out that Bluetooth audio was no longer working.
The reason was that the newer BlueZ branch had dropped ALSA support and now
required PulseAudio. So with some trepidation, we began investigating adding
PulseAudio to Slackware. Going back to BlueZ 4 wasn't an option with various
dependent projects either having dropped support for it, or consiering doing
so. After several iterations here refining the foundation packages and
recompiling and tweaking other packages to use PulseAudio, it's working well
and you'll likely not notice much of a change. But if you're using Bluetooth
audio, or needing to direct audio through HDMI, you'll probably find it a lot
easier to accomplish that.
Best of all, we're finally a modern, relevant Linux distro! ;-)
Thanks to Mario Preksavec, Heinz Wiesinger, and Robby Workman for a lot of
help and testing. Bug reports, complaints, and threats can go to me.
Also, enjoy a shiny new LTS 4.4.0 kernel and consider this 14.2 beta 1.
Note: Slackware is NOT going to add systemd. It’s too controversial and there is no need. Your sleep will be sound now.
I tried Slackware 14.2 beta, but unfortunately I couldn't get the network configuration to work. Slack usually configures itself automatically when I install it but it didn't this time.

[EDIT: I did finally manage to get it to work, using netconfig and selecting "DHCP" from the menu. Third time lucky.]
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

Colonel Panic

#2122 Post by Colonel Panic »

Another good one; I've just installed ROSA R6 (not to be confused with Mint 17.3, which is also called Rosa) and it's working well. I installed the KDE version, but there is also an LXDE one available although you can install LXDE from the repos if you have KDE. It uses the urpmi package manager.

Its official name is Rosa Desktop Fresh. It has an attractive interface;

http://www.rosalab.com/products/desktop_fresh
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

Pelo

Festival 'old Puppies' in Marseillan (France)

#2123 Post by Pelo »

Festival 'old Puppies' in Marseillan (France)
I choose these ones for the Classical Grand Prix.
First they were selected for their speed, howver they are 32Bits, as they run Fully in RAM, 64 Bits Puppies were pushed out the selection due their size and ugly look
Tharpup just miss some points to get selected...
The three best Puppies will be burn in Gold !

:) :D :wink:
Last edited by Pelo on Thu 28 Jan 2016, 12:31, edited 1 time in total.

eric52

#2124 Post by eric52 »

Pelo, what a charming competition!

Pelo

to speak french to the computer

#2125 Post by Pelo »

I will enjoy only when an OS will allow us to speak to the computer, and not to write him with a keyboard.
Speak 'french', that is an evidence. Typing in English all day long is really boring...

eric52

#2126 Post by eric52 »

Pelo, you might get your chance. There is research for cyber-neural interfacing to benefit amputee prostheses. But be careful what you wish for; the computers will soon speak back.

Colonel Panic

#2127 Post by Colonel Panic »

I've just installed the 64-bit version of Salix 14.1 Mate. In my experience it needs a bit of fiddling around with file permissions before it will boot to a graphical interface, which is why I couldn't really recommend it for Linux newbies; but once that has been done it works fine.

Have to say too that I really like the look of Salix - the light blue colour scheme and wallpapers (there is a choice of several) combine to make a very restful, pastel effect.

[EDIT; I was unfortunately unable to get Softmaker Office working in it, so although I'm not going to wipe it just yet I'm back using Absolute 14.12 which is also based on Slackware and which does allow Textmaker et al. to work.]

watchdog

#2128 Post by watchdog »

android-x86-4.4-r4.iso from:

http://www.android-x86.org/download

I used a netbook and a 4 Gb usb key with android-x86 installed by unetbootin. To obtain persistence:

Code: Select all

dd if=/dev/zero of=/mnt/sdb1/data.img bs=1M count=1 seek=3000
mkfs.ext2 -j /mnt/sdb1/data.img 
assuming that sdb1 is the usb key you are preparing with puppy.

Android on PC is slow but after updates it's workable for using some particular apps.

EDIT: I would suggest to replace in android the default browser by Atlas Web Browser which you can set for a faster light surfing.
Last edited by watchdog on Thu 28 Jan 2016, 14:14, edited 1 time in total.

Pelo

ah watchdog, that is of great interest, Bookmarked

#2129 Post by Pelo »

ah watchdog, that is of great interest, Bookmarked :!: something that can make us experiencing something really new. I will try this asap.
Downloading the ISO.
android-x86-4.4-r4.iso a special topic for that should not be idiot.
"The Android-x86.org is glad to release the 4.4-r4 to the public. This is the fourth and probably the last stable release of Android-x86 4.4 (kitkat-x86)."
take a glance at reviews by testers

Colonel Panic

#2130 Post by Colonel Panic »

Another good one; I've just installed ROSA R7 (not to be confused with Mint 17.3, which is also called Rosa) and it's working well. I installed the KDE version, but there is also an LXDE one available although you can install LXDE from the repos if you have KDE. It uses the urpmi package manager.

Its official name is Rosa Desktop Fresh. It has an attractive interface;

http://www.rosalab.com/products/desktop_fresh

Colonel Panic

#2131 Post by Colonel Panic »

I've just installed the latest testing version of Vector 7.2, A0.3.6, and it's working well and is one of the few distros available now which allows you to log in as root.

One thing I don't like about it though compared to earlier releases is that they've gotten rid of the Quick Picks, which was a really good way of installing some of the more popular software packages people would use.

Also, Vector has a simpler installation process than Slackware, which is a plus for new users in particular. However, this comes at the cost of being able to set up the ability to mount USB drives and windows partitions automatically when the distro boots up, when you're installing the distro; as you can in Slackware and other Slack-based distros such as Salix and Zenwalk.

bark_bark_bark

#2132 Post by bark_bark_bark »

I installed Slackware 14.1 yesterday alongside Windows 7. The only thing different I really had to do this time was install the binary nvidia drivers, and that went smoothly.

starhawk

#2133 Post by starhawk »

For once I took a look at a non-Pup.

Linux Mint "Rosa" XFCE.

Compared to Puppy, there's a lot more of what I'd term "polish" -- it fits together better if you know what I mean. Puppy is kind of cobbled together from whatever works and fits... Mint is a bit more elegant in that regard. (Ever watch Star Trek...? Think of our stuff as a bit like the Borg... crude but highly effective tech. Mint is more Federation style, hardly a cable in sight.)

That said, I couldn't get the old Chromium offered (v.34) to install while running from DVD, and it is rather obese at 1.3gb of download. Took nearly an hour just to get it downloaded!

bark_bark_bark

#2134 Post by bark_bark_bark »

star trek references do not compute. I myself am a Doctor Who fan.

starhawk

#2135 Post by starhawk »

Off Topic: Dr Who is one show I wish I knew more about. I've only ever seen one episode. Loved it to bits, but haven't had the opportunity to catch more since (USA, no operable TV signal -- with few exceptions I find TV to be mostly trash, so up till now I've not really felt like I was missing anything of importance).

On Topic: there are scripts in Puppy that barely sort of work but haven't been touched since 2003 or so. I once asked my local guru friend to help me understand a script that's part of PetGet -- he ragequit about halfway through because of how badly it was written. Something about taking an MD5sum of an MD5sum, IIRC... the overarching philosophy of Puppy is that if it works, it's good enough -- even if the thing that works is really just a bandaid fix that isn't meant to be permanent. Heck, there are parts of mainline Puppies still extant, I'm told, which date back to about v.2.14...

Let me take a different tack with metaphors, then. Cars.

There was a car in East Germany called the Trabant. It's probably the most well known car of its kind... it had its fifteen minutes of fame as the most common make of vehicle to find its way through the Brandenburg Gate immediately after the wall came down -- but there's a lot more to it than that.

A Trabant is a crude machine as far as automobilia (I think that's a word) is concerned. Its body isn't sheet metal, but rather a composite of cotton canvas and plastic called "Duroplast" that can be pressed into shape like sheet metal despite being a little easier for the government of the time and place to source and produce. The engine in a Trabant isn't sophisticated, either -- it is the mechanically simplest two stroke smoke-bomb that they could come up with, and IIRC it has a nasty habit of drinking oil almost by the gallon -- and not just what you have to mix in with the gas! It is simple, basic, clunky and clumsy to the point of brutish -- but dreadfully effective if what you want is simple and basic transportation with absolutely as few frills as you can stand. The upshot is that a particularly gifted chimpanzee can be trained to fix one when something breaks down (okay, I exaggerate -- but only slightly!) and with regular attention, it will last until the body panels disintegrate entirely... and, depending on the condition of the chassis (it's hardly a monocoque type construction!), it very well could outlive even that prediction.

But the Trabant was one more thing -- transportation for a population that desperately needed that brutishly simple vehicle. It could be said that the Citroen 2CV, Fiat 500, Renault 4CV, and indeed the original VW Beetle were all intended for the same purpose -- but they all manage to pull it off with more panache and flair -- and in some cases, elegance -- than the Trabant.

Puppy is a Trabant. It is simple, effective, functional -- but its construction (not to mention the stuff under the hood) is truly frightful! With regular tinkering, of course, it will run virtually forever -- and while you may need to pull it completely apart and rebuild it every so often just to keep it running, it's worth it because it gives you exactly what you want, nothing more, nothing less. (You wouldn't be using it otherwise.) True, there are other choices (in the relevant car paradigm that would be Volkswagen's Type 1 (not yet called the Beetle) and a number of offerings by Wartburg) but there's just something about this particular one that makes you smile, even if it does take most of a weekend to fix it when you go 'round that one bend a bit too fast.