Other Distros

Puppy related raves and general interest that doesn't fit anywhere else
prehistoric

#2011 Post by prehistoric »

That's Linux Mint 17.2 you mean, for sure.

otropogo

#2012 Post by otropogo »

cimarron wrote:Yes, and Win10 is heavily connected if you do the "express" configuration. Do the manual configuration to turn off connecting to MS every time you search from the desktop, run an app, wipe your nose...
Really? The articles and discussions I've read about it all seem to agree that automatic upgrades can't be turned off in Windows 10, so everything that MS throws at you gets installed, no choice...

But if there is a way to hold off the flow for a while, won't it just make it worse when you have to go back on line to do your banking, activate new apps or download a driver update, because all the stuff that's waiting to upload and install itself will tie up your system for hours? Or have I misunderstood how it works?

cimarron wrote:Mint can be installed on a USB flash drive (not sure if that's what you mean) and run live, to see how you like it and how it handles your hardware. Very nice, polished and full-featured.
Great! Do you have to burn a LiveDVD first, or can you do the install to usbflash directly from the ISO? If the former is the case, is there a USBflash install app bundled to do it? If the latter, can you recommend a flash installer for doing under Windows or Knoppix or Puppy?

I can't even find an app to burn an iso in Win8. I've got to load Knoppix or Puppy to do it.
otropogo@gmail.com facebook.com/otropogo

cimarron

#2013 Post by cimarron »

There are several ways Win10 phones home that you can turn off, but as I understand it, updates cannot be turned off. I usually suggest people who use Windows do the updates, for security patches, etc. But if you want more control of that aspect, probably better to stick with Win7. I don't use Windows much myself (I just like to know what's going on with it because I troubleshoot for others pretty regularly).

The Linux Mint iso can be installed to a flash drive, then run live from that, or installed from it. I have used Unetbootin to install a number of Linux distros without problems. I've always used the Linux version, but there is a Windows version as well: http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/

Unetbootin will apparently download the iso for you (for a number of popular distros, including Mint), but I've never tried that. I've always downloaded the iso myself first and used the second "Diskimage" option.

Not sure how well Unetbootin runs in Puppy, but there is some guidance here: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=99826

6502coder

#2014 Post by 6502coder »

prehistoric

#2015 Post by prehistoric »

For creating a bootable flash drive from an ISO image you might also consider Rufus. This is up to date for UEFI systems and GPT disks.

Here are some other instructions for Rufus.

otropogo

#2016 Post by otropogo »

prehistoric wrote:For creating a bootable flash drive from an ISO image you might also consider Rufus. This is up to date for UEFI systems and GPT disks.

Here are some other instructions for Rufus.
Thanks. Have downloaded the lot for later review and trial. I see the article you linked suggests using the portable version. Is there any advantage to using the regular version?

otropogo

#2017 Post by otropogo »

Thanks, have saved and will read later. But I don't have any trust in MS promises. I've got a backlog of dozens of Win8 updates, and every so often I bash head against the wall trying to figure out whether/which I need.

The first problem is that I can't mass uncheck updates, the optional updates have to be manually unchecked one by one in order for me to avoid installing all of them together with any other update.

The second is that for the vast majority of the updates, when I click on the more information tab, there IS no information, or the information has no relevance.

Third is that often when I finally decide an update might be useful, I learn that I have to have a previous update installed. But I'm not told whether it is or not. So now, I have to scroll through and review all of the updates, including the daily virus sig updates.

Fourth, all of the above may now be moot, because when I tried to look at the updates waiting to be installed, I found I'm no longer able to get a prompt to review them. It's install or not - 1.1GB worth.

Sooo - I don't think I'm going to jump into this mess.

bark_bark_bark

#2018 Post by bark_bark_bark »

Forced driver updates are a REALLY bad idea.

prehistoric

#2019 Post by prehistoric »

otropogo wrote:...Thanks. Have downloaded the lot for later review and trial. I see the article you linked suggests using the portable version. Is there any advantage to using the regular version?
Not that I know. I have only used Rufus once when I had a problem with another technique. It worked when I needed it.

prehistoric

#2020 Post by prehistoric »

bark_bark_bark wrote:Forced driver updates are a REALLY bad idea.
M$ is now offering a work-around for people who want to avoid some updates. The practical effect will scarcely matter, because almost no one will be able to tell when they need to do this.

Billtoo

Other Distros

#2021 Post by Billtoo »

Installed ubuntuMATE 64bit to an usb 3.0 SSD, pc is an HP Stream (200-009).

Computer
Processor 2x Intel(R) Celeron(R) 2957U @ 1.40GHz
Memory 1896MB (360MB used)
Operating System Ubuntu 15.04
User Name bill (Bill)
Date/Time Sun 02 Aug 2015 04:40:48 PM EDT
Display
Resolution 1920x1080 pixels
OpenGL Renderer Mesa DRI Intel(R) Haswell Mobile
X11 Vendor The X.Org Foundation

It's working well so far.
Attachments
Screenshot.jpg
(44.31 KiB) Downloaded 386 times

Colonel Panic

#2022 Post by Colonel Panic »

I've just discovered what the problem is with networking inScientific 7 - the ethernet card isnlt enabled by default. So far so good, unfortunately here's the solution (Scientific 7 is based on CentOS 7);

http://www.krizna.com/centos/setup-network-centos-7/

All I can say is, give thanks to Barry that thanks to the great distro you use and are probably using to read this with, dong this is an option not a necessity.
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

otropogo

Re: Other Distros

#2023 Post by otropogo »

Billtoo wrote:Installed ubuntuMATE 64bit to an usb 3.0 SSD, pc is an HP Stream (200-009).

...It's working well so far.
Does your ubuntumate offer an option to install to USBflash?

I've just installed Mint 17.2 cinnamon to a flash card using Rufus 2.2 installer, as suggested by Muggins**

It booted fine, but I found it very difficult to navigate the menus.

Most troublesome for me was the inability to determine whether a firewall was installed by default and active, or if not, how to install and active it. I looked at the repository offerings, but saw nothing that I easily configurable, like the Puppy Linux firewall or Knoppix's linux firewall.

But the greatest disappointment came when I couldn't find any options to save my configurations and installations. I used a 2GB CF card, expecting to be given a save to hdd option, but nothing appeared. So the whole exercise seems to have been for nothing.

So I'm back to waiting for Knoppix to become reliable (or even available - it's August and the 2015 download version has yet to appear).

##correction. Muggins has given me some good advice and other help over the years, but this tip came from Prehistoric. My apologies for the error.
Last edited by otropogo on Tue 04 Aug 2015, 03:41, edited 1 time in total.

nitehawk

#2024 Post by nitehawk »

otropogo wrote:
So I'm back to waiting for Knoppix to become reliable (or even available - it's August and the 2015 download version has yet to appear).
Sounds like me when I was waiting for Vector 7.1. I'm actually not using it right now (maybe because I got tired of waiting, or something I guess).

Anyhow,...I really liked Knoppix. But was disappointed that I could never get a hard drive install (of version 7) without it reverting to German every time! I have it on a flash drive,...but want it on my hard drive. (Alas).
Do you think the next version will perhaps stay in English after hard drive install? It's a really nice little Debian distro.

otropogo

#2025 Post by otropogo »

nitehawk wrote:
otropogo wrote:
Sounds like me when I was waiting for Vector 7.1. I'm actually not using it right now (maybe because I got tired of waiting, or something I guess).

Anyhow,...I really liked Knoppix. But was disappointed that I could never get a hard drive install (of version 7) without it reverting to German every time! I have it on a flash drive,...but want it on my hard drive. (Alas).
Do you think the next version will perhaps stay in English after hard drive install? It's a really nice little Debian distro.
I've always used Knoppix booted from removable media, first floppy, then CD, the DVD, and now USBflash.

But my understanding is that versions 7.xxx (current one is 7.4.2) have been designed for installation to hdd.

Maybe that's why Klaus has effectively crippled the removable version, as one can no longer create a hdd-based persistent image for LiveCD/DVD, and if you use the USBflash installation, you can only save back to that same medium, which means:

1. you need a fast and large USB flash card (ie. expensive), and

2. your installation must be mounted writable for the entire session, making it extremely vulnerable to corruption (at least I've never previously had so many Knoppix installs the stopped working, and

3. it means your USB port is tied up, this is especially serious because, in my experience, Knoppix (but also Mint and Lighthouse 64) will not boot from a USB3.0 HUB, even though it's independently powered. It requires the sole use of a USB3.0 port, which are a precious commodity on a laptop.

Strangely, I never had any problem booting Lupu528 and running it from a only lightly powered USB2.0 hub (850mA adapter) together with other devices, like a tethered mouse.

I'd suggest you try installing Knoppix 7.4.2 to hdd, but surely 7.5, which came out in German in March, should be appearing soon.

The biggest problem with Knoppix is poor support and shabby documentation. I remember when Knopper still answered e-mail from users. Unfortunately, even then he rejected or ignored reasonable suggestions- such as removing the claim you could boot K. from a floppy several years after it became impossible.

Now there's only a pitbull named Werner, who moderates the Knoppix forums and savages you for reporting serious problems.

A few months ago he dismissed me as "unreliable" (no details offered) and then banned me from the forums for a week without warning. I've never gone back to see whether the ban was lifted.

And you have to wonder what will happen to Knoppix when Klaus can't maintain it anymore. He seems to be having enough trouble keeping up already.

Still, one last solid effort might be worth keeping. If you have a copy that runs, back it up well. It can be a good reference tool, although many of the apps don't work. The last straw for me this year was the failure of synaptic.

James C

#2026 Post by James C »

Decided to pull out a multi-session dvd tonight.....

Code: Select all

sh-4.3# inxi -F
System:    Host: puppex Kernel: 3.18.2-PAE-puppex i686 (32 bit) Desktop: JWM git-976 Distro: tahrpup 6.0
Machine:   Mobo: ASUSTeK model: M5A97 LE R2.0 version: Rev 1.xx serial: 140323665200131
           Bios: American Megatrends version: 2202 date: 12/12/2013
CPU:       Octa core AMD FX-8320 Eight-Core (-MCP-) cache: 16384 KB flags: (lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 sse4a ssse3 svm) 
           Clock Speeds: 1: 1700.00 MHz 2: 1400.00 MHz 3: 2900.00 MHz 4: 1400.00 MHz 5: 1400.00 MHz 6: 1700.00 MHz 7: 1400.00 MHz 8: 1400.00 MHz
Graphics:  Card: NVIDIA GM107 [GeForce GTX 750] 
           X.org: 1.15.1 drivers: nvidia (unloaded: vesa,nouveau) tty size: 80x24 Advanced Data: N/A for root 
Audio:     Card-1: NVIDIA Device 0fbc driver: snd_hda_intel Sound: ALSA ver: k3.18.2-PAE-puppex
           Card-2: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA) driver: snd_hda_intel 
Network:   Card: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller driver: r8169 
           IF: eth0 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: 40:16:7e:b2:b8:be
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 1120.2GB (-) 1: id: /dev/sda model: KINGSTON_SV300S3 size: 120.0GB 
           2: id: /dev/sdb model: WDC_WD10EZEX size: 1000.2GB 
Partition: 
RAID:      No RAID devices detected - /proc/mdstat and md_mod kernel raid module present
Sensors:   None detected - is lm-sensors installed and configured?
Info:      Processes: 148 Uptime: 28 min Memory: 442.4/8017.2MB Client: Shell (sh) inxi: 1.9.17 
Attachments
Multi-session dvd.jpg
(120.76 KiB) Downloaded 1443 times

Colonel Panic

#2027 Post by Colonel Panic »

I downloaded a copy of Zorin 10, which is based on Ubuntu 15, yesterday and am using it now from a live session. So far so good (and it comes with Wine already installed).
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

Billtoo

#2028 Post by Billtoo »

otropogo wrote:
Billtoo wrote:Installed ubuntuMATE 64bit to an usb 3.0 SSD, pc is an HP Stream (200-009).
...It's working well so far.
Does your ubuntumate offer an option to install to USBflash?
No, it's working well on the usb 3.0 SSD and I've installed other distros to an usb 3.0 hard drive, but not a flash drive.

Billtoo

#2029 Post by Billtoo »

I upgraded to Windows 10 on my HP Stream 200-009 mini which has 2gb ram.
It's working well with the new web browser, youtube videos play great at full screen.

EDIT: I've added the Windows version of some of my favorite Linux applications, all are working well.
Attachments
screenshot2.jpg
(70.85 KiB) Downloaded 1090 times
screenshot.jpg
(42.87 KiB) Downloaded 1334 times
Last edited by Billtoo on Sat 08 Aug 2015, 23:12, edited 1 time in total.

darry1966

#2030 Post by darry1966 »

darry1966 wrote:New version of Astrumni 3.2.0 - released: ftp://austrumi.ru.lv/

Anyone tried it?
Trying this out as a hard drive install here is a scrot
http://www.linux.org/threads/post-your- ... 927/page-6

Latest Firefox, Libreoffice, SpaceFM, etc seems very stable Mplayer replaced with MPV. requires PAE.

Kernel 4.0.4 smp i686 on a Dell D620.