Other Distros

Puppy related raves and general interest that doesn't fit anywhere else
Colonel Panic

#1921 Post by Colonel Panic »

Another of my Bank Holiday tryouts - Solus Beta 2. It's good to see that Ikey and the team are back in business as I liked SolusOS 1.3 a lot.

Anyway, Beta2 works well enough as a live disk (if a bit spartan in appearance), but when I tried installing it to my hard drive I wasn't able to get Grub set up properly and the installed distro wouldn't boot (and nor would anything else, because it wiped out my MBR). So, unfortunately I think it still needs some more work before it's ready for release.
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

Colonel Panic

#1922 Post by Colonel Panic »

Yet another "Bank Holiday" one; Sabayon 15.05 Forensics. This one has a set of system tools which are supposed to do things like recover Windows passwords from the hard drive, though I haven't found any of these tools yet (maybe I don't have the necessary security clearance :)).

Apart from that, it's a perfectly competent distro. If you don't need the security tools, though, you'll do just as well with one of the other Sabayon variants such as Xfce (which would be my choice), Gnome or KDE.

[EDIT; I can't install midnight commander on it though, which I use a lot in Linux, I don't believe it has any compilation tools (gcc etc.) either.]
Last edited by Colonel Panic on Fri 05 Jun 2015, 07:27, edited 3 times in total.
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

bark_bark_bark

#1923 Post by bark_bark_bark »

I bought an 80GB WD laptop hard drive for my Acer Aspire 5532 and I put windows 7 64-bit on it.

Colonel Panic

#1924 Post by Colonel Panic »

I've just installed Neptune 4.3, which is a spinoff from ZevenOS Neptune and is based on Debian but uses the KDE desktop environment. It's working well.

rokytnji

#1925 Post by rokytnji »

Slackel Fluxbox on a netbook.
Conky shows ram usage.
Everything works.

Setting this up as a saddlebag netbook for trips this summer.

Needed a stable , no need to worry about latest upgrades poking up.
Type of traveling computer.

Besides Puppy. :wink:

Just install and forgettaboutit. Gslapt, Sourcery, and slapt-get -i when needed for this Lazy Biker.

Code: Select all

harry[~]$ ./cl2

·····················································
 ·             select a station and play             ·
 ·                                                   ·
 · [space] to pause, [q] to stop, [Ctrl]+[c] to quit ·

·    1   Addict Alternative     2   Audio Ink       ·
 ·    3   Addict Rock            4   The Buzz        ·
 ·    5   Power_Rock             6   Schizophonic    ·
 ·    7   80s radio              8   Rock-Radio      ·
 ·    9   90s Radio             10   Radio Xenu      ·
 ·   11   WFMU                  12   Rage Radio      ·
 ·   13   KikiNovak Radio       14   AGX             ·
 ·   15   Progressive           16   BadRok Radio    ·
 ·   17   Classic Gator Rock    18   All Dixie Rock  ·
 ·   19   AMPZ Adult            20   106 Radio       ·

select a  number  from 1 to 20 then hit [Enter]

MPlayer 20150425-4.9.2 (C) 2000-2015 MPlayer Team

Playing http://sc15.shoutcaststreaming.us:8030/1/.
Resolving sc15.shoutcaststreaming.us for AF_INET6...

Couldn't resolve name for AF_INET6: sc15.shoutcaststreaming.us
Resolving sc15.shoutcaststreaming.us for AF_INET...
Connecting to server sc15.shoutcaststreaming.us[23.29.71.154]: 8030...

Name   : Schizophonic Radio
Genre  : Hard Rock
Public : yes
Bitrate: 128kbit/s
Cache size set to 320 KBytes
Cache fill:  0.00% (0 bytes)   
ICY Info: StreamTitle='Candlebox - Far Behind';
Cache fill: 15.00% (49152 bytes)   

Audio only file format detected.
==========================================================================
Opening audio decoder: [mpg123] MPEG 1.0/2.0/2.5 layers I, II, III
AUDIO: 44100 Hz, 2 ch, s16le, 128.0 kbit/9.07% (ratio: 16000->176400)
Selected audio codec: [mpg123] afm: mpg123 (MPEG 1.0/2.0/2.5 layers I, II, III)
==========================================================================
[AO OSS] audio_setup: Can't open audio device /dev/dsp: No such file or directory
AO: [alsa] 48000Hz 2ch s16le (2 bytes per sample)
Video: no video
Starting playback...
A:  26.6 (26.5) of 0.0 (unknown)  4.7% 42% 

starlyte

Ideas for a AMD A6 box/mm server etc ?

#1926 Post by starlyte »

After finding myself with out PC, (house fire, so no house either, :evil: ! But still alive!) and now I'm writing this on a friends Win 8.1 little portable, but I'm putting together a new Linux Box, with an AMD A6 CPU, etc, 2.5" HDD's... Great when I have the time to finish putting the pieces together 8)
So, what I'm looking for is a distro basic, that can take VBox easily, and works on 64bits (seems logic :?: ) but not a big fat thing! I intend using virtual machines for multimedia, and experiments, another reason I want to install a 64bits distro first, as if I want to try 64bits on a VM it needs to be installed on a real 64bits distro. Even though I used 64 CPU's for quite a while, and, frankly, they seem as rapide with a 32bits distro as with a 64bits one... which gives food for thought... Still!

I need ideas, and between being busy with burnt houses, plus using a very low powered Win 8.1 PC (which has, really, reminded me how genial Puppy was :roll: and that in the future I'll use outside backup! :oops: Lost sooo much stuff, music, info, fims, photos... ) I've lost touch with Puppy (I was using SuperLupu-528-6, now there's a -7!) and I'm wondering how it's developped in 64, too...

Any helful Puupyite with a suggestion for me ??? :lol: Would be very appreciated, TBH...

watchdog

Debian Jessie persistent

#1927 Post by watchdog »

Download:

http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/cur ... so-hybrid/

I used puppy to prepare the persistent install. With a persistence file:

dd if=/dev/zero of=/mnt/home/persistence bs=1M count=512
mkfs.ext2 -q -Lpersistence /mnt/home/persistence
mkdir /mnt/dir
mount -o loop /mnt/home/persistence /mnt/dir
mv /path-to/persistence.conf /mnt/dir/
umount /mnt/dir
The persistence.conf file (full persistence):

/ union
(press enter after "union" in geany before saving).

You could use a persistence labeled partition instead of a persistence file.
To boot the live iso with persistence you have to boot with the following boot options:

persistence persistence-label=persistence
You can change persistence-label if you use more than one persistence file-partition with different labels. You can backup the persistence file renaming the copy.

You can use a burned cd-dvd to boot the iso. At splash screen press Tab to edit the boot options and add the persistence options above. Or you can use a usb key prepared with unetbootin. Do not use persistence in unetbootin: it works only for ubuntu-like distros. You can after copy a persistence file into the usb key and edit syslinux.cfg to add the persistence boot options. My syslinux.cfg:

default menu.c32
prompt 0
menu title UNetbootin
timeout 100

#label unetbootindefault
#menu label Default
#kernel /ubnkern
#append initrd=/ubninit boot=live quiet splash

#label ubnentry1
#menu label Boot Live in safe graphics mode
#kernel /live/vmlinuz
#append initrd=/live/initrd.gz boot=live  xforcevesa nomodeset quiet splash

label ubnentry
menu label Boot Live in debug mode persistent
kernel /live/vmlinuz
append initrd=/live/initrd.gz boot=live persistence persistence-label=persistence
(I did not use the official iso live but a derivated).

gerry

#1928 Post by gerry »

Tried Mepis MX14 today- grrr! It does not have the drivers for my wireless interface, and gives a long convoluted command line process to get and install them. Probably because it's based on Debian, where the hair-shirt brigade don't want anything like that included- but they (Debian) do make it easy to install them if you have them ready on a usb stick.

The other thing was that I couldn't see any way to change the language, apart from pressing F3 before you boot the live cd. Once you've booted, it's too late (as far as I can see).

For such an enormous iso file, it seems curiously under-equipped.

gerry

James C

#1929 Post by James C »

AntiX 15 Beta3-V is released.No systemd.

http://antix.mepis.org/index.php?title=Main_Page

download

https://sourceforge.net/projects/antix- ... antiX-14R/
Many bug fixes from beta1.

Default is now light look. F6 at boot menu to select dark.
antiX 4.0.0 kernel
simplified menu layout suggested by SamK
new menu-editor by SamK
timed wallpaper bug fix
built using devuan debootstrap
new iso-snapshot application - heavily based on mx-snapshot
more options added to antiX control centre. (Probably overkill)
many more I have forgotten about.

Default look is the bottom screenshot, I prefer a darker look so changed to the other.
Attachments
Still Beta 3.jpg
(20.58 KiB) Downloaded 719 times
Beta 3.jpg
(38.98 KiB) Downloaded 709 times

James C

#1930 Post by James C »

gerry wrote:Tried Mepis MX14 today- grrr! It does not have the drivers for my wireless interface, and gives a long convoluted command line process to get and install them. Probably because it's based on Debian, where the hair-shirt brigade don't want anything like that included- but they (Debian) do make it easy to install them if you have them ready on a usb stick.

The other thing was that I couldn't see any way to change the language, apart from pressing F3 before you boot the live cd. Once you've booted, it's too late (as far as I can see).

For such an enormous iso file, it seems curiously under-equipped.

gerry
http://www.mepiscommunity.org/user_manu ... ection-3.7

James C

#1931 Post by James C »

openSUSE 13.2.
https://www.opensuse.org/en/

linux@linux:~> uname -a
Linux linux.site 3.16.6-2-desktop #1 SMP PREEMPT Mon Oct 20 13:47:22 UTC 2014 (feb42ea) x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
Attachments
open SUSE 13.2.jpg
(18.3 KiB) Downloaded 615 times

Billtoo

Other Distros

#1932 Post by Billtoo »

I installed the xfce4 spin of Fedora 22 64bit to my emachines D620
laptop.
4.0.4-303.fc22.x86_64

It comes with Midori web browser, added Firefox-38.01 from the repo and
downloaded and installed Google-chrome from the internet.

It runs well on this single core processor.
Attachments
Screenshot.jpg
(97.92 KiB) Downloaded 571 times

James C

#1933 Post by James C »

Still rolling with Arch.....
https://www.archlinux.org/

[james@evo ~]$ uname -a
Linux evo 4.0.5-1-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT Sat Jun 6 18:37:49 CEST 2015 x86_64 GNU/Linux
Attachments
Arch still rolling.jpg
(69.03 KiB) Downloaded 386 times

David Andrew

#1934 Post by David Andrew »

I've installed Zorin OS on a secondary desktop computer that I had to resurrect after 2 years of non-use. It's a Windows "useless piece of crap" Vista machine. And yeah, this is one of those allegedly "Vista optimized" machines.

My arse.

Not to mention that my Dad, the previous owner, upgraded it not once but twice, and it still performs like crap.

I know it's nothing new pissing and moaning about Vista, but it really is the worst OS I've ever had to deal with, and I'm by no means anti-MS or anything like that.

Let me tell you, it was so laggy that it was practically unusable. Hard drive sounded like a it was being powered by a drunken hamster in a rusty wheel. I did every sort of maintenance bollocks to rectify the slowdown. Defragging the hard drive, updating everything possible, virus checks, malware checks, CCleaner - you name it. The best I got was a measly 15% improvement. It goes without saying that a clean install is the only solution. And this all took a good week - so many hours of productivity right down the shitter. I still intend to install Vista as part of a dual boot, but after a clean install I'll be using it only when necessary.

Back on the topic of Zorin OS, I went ahead with a full install of it. I wasn't keen on the default theme, (it follows the trend of flat themes) so it took a bit of tweaking to suit my preferences. Under the hood is Gnome 3 and Compiz. Haven't used Gnome 3 in a while, but its improved a lot since the last time I did. Wine out of the box always helps as well.

Zorin's native themes don't seem to be actually "themes", but rather the layout of your desktop environment. The choice is from XP, Windows 7 and a traditional Gnome 2 layout. There is absolutely no way to download additional themes for the native themes, but its not a big deal, because you can achieve it with some manual tweaking. According to my google research, it all operates under a modified Gnome 3.

Outside of the interface there wasn't anything unique about it. It's Ubuntu based, so the usual Synaptic manager and software centre that you'd expect. There's also a paid for version with an additional Mac layout and some exclusive software.

Performance wise it's quite fast, I was expecting at least a hint of lag considering it was Gnome 3 based. Those nasty noises my hard drive was making under that abomination Vista has now decreased by tenfold.

But after I get it to dual boot, you bet that Vista will take the backseat. Like, the backseat of a very long train.

David Andrew

#1935 Post by David Andrew »

* Deleted double post.

Moat

#1936 Post by Moat »

David Andrew wrote: Hard drive sounded like a it was being powered by a drunken hamster in a rusty wheel. ......... I still intend to install Vista as part of a dual boot...
You'd be much better off installing Windows 7 instead - but even Win7 will thrash the HD and CPU out of the box. That thrashing can be quite easily rectified (on Vista or 7) by disabling a number of default, unnecessary disc caching/indexing schemes/services running in the background, via the built-in 'services.msc' utility (or better yet, use the free Mz Services Manager utility - http://www.mztweak.com/mzservicesmanager.html - which allows saving and reverting to previous settings... much handier when playing around with enabling/disabling services).

In particular - Readyboot, Readyboost, Prefetch and Superfetch are the services to look for, disable and play around with, IIRC. Made a world of difference on the boxes I tried it on - nice and quiet (like good ol' XP :wink: ) afterwards.

Yeah, it's a bit of a PITA to have to sort those things (and others) out in a Win7 (or XP, for that matter) install - but once done, can make for a fine OS.

Bob
Last edited by Moat on Tue 09 Jun 2015, 22:39, edited 1 time in total.

Moat

#1937 Post by Moat »

Double post...

cthisbear

#1938 Post by cthisbear »

This runs well....by eXPerience

Around 25% of a Windows 7 install....fast.

" STATISTICS:

- ISO File Size.............................. 699 Mb
- RAM Usage On First Installation............ 185 Mb (VMware, 256Mb RAM)
- Entire Installation Size................... 1.64 Gb
- WINDOWS Folder Size........................ 1.55 Gb
- Running Processes.......................... 25
- Install Time (In VirtualBox, 512Mb RAM).... 11 minutes

https://thepiratebay.mn/torrent/5074537 ... tivated_CD

Chris

David Andrew

#1939 Post by David Andrew »

Moat wrote:
David Andrew wrote: Hard drive sounded like a it was being powered by a drunken hamster in a rusty wheel. ......... I still intend to install Vista as part of a dual boot...
You'd be much better off installing Windows 7 instead - but even Win7 will thrash the HD and CPU out of the box. That thrashing can be quite easily rectified (on Vista or 7) by disabling a number of default, unnecessary disc caching/indexing schemes/services running in the background, via the built-in 'services.msc' utility (or better yet, use the free Mz Services Manager utility - http://www.mztweak.com/mzservicesmanager.html - which allows saving and reverting to previous settings... much handier when playing around with enabling/disabling services).

In particular - Readyboot, Readyboost, Prefetch and Superfetch are the services to look for, disable and play around with, IIRC. Made a world of difference on the boxes I tried it on - nice and quiet (like good ol' XP :wink: ) afterwards.

Yeah, it's a bit of a PITA to have to sort those things (and others) out in a Win7 (or XP, for that matter) install - but once done, can make for a fine OS.

Bob
Thanks for the info. I have legal copies of all Windows from XP up to 8, except my Vista DVD "just happens" to be the only one that I've lost. Probably a blessing in disguise.

Windows 7 is probably the best Windows since XP imo. I personally think 8 is ok-ish. Clunky interface on desktops, but at least it performs.

wboz

#1940 Post by wboz »

Windows 10 looks quite good. I may consider upgrading the ol' Lenovo if I'm allowed. I don't really know how the upgrades work.

The thing will still churn like heck with a 5000rpm HDD. Does anyone know if Windows 7 32bit goes to a Windows 10 64 bit or is that totally not possible? That would make a meaningful difference (with 4gb ram, Win 7 will only use 3GB ...)