Other Distros

Puppy related raves and general interest that doesn't fit anywhere else
mikeb

#1891 Post by mikeb »

Hmm sounds like you heading into being a PC recycler rather than mike furkler.... its big business over here.
I have a table in the motorcycle shop that is just for dudes to play on with all kinds Linux setups that are
will occupy them while they wait on me to fix their bikes. Just to play with their heads. No Windows
so the tougher the job the more they devolve from bikers into geeks then?
Though the picture of a biker cyber cafe/bar is not such a bad one ;)

I liked DSL though knoppix is a tangled nightmare if you got into the system.

The mutant Lucid/Slax is behaving well now...on it as we speak...I am allowed to distro hop as long as the families machines keep ticking over nicely.

mike

Colonel Panic

#1892 Post by Colonel Panic »

I've just installed the latest version of Mint Debian (2.0, codenamed "Betsy") with the Mate desktop and it's pretty impressive apart from the trouble I also have with a number of distros on this machine in getting the network started up when I first log in.

I am one of those who likes Mint's default look although I know some people find it too staid and conservative.
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

Mike Walsh

#1893 Post by Mike Walsh »

mikeb wrote:There is something vaguely geeky perverse about installing an operating system using dd... like its an accident waiting to happen...one slip and bye bye your prized system. mike

Yah; I'll go along with that. It's a 'dodgy' way of doing it at the best of times..! Unfortunately, Hexxeh's instructions on his Chromium O/S website only gives instructions on how to install via 'dd'; I don't think there's much choice, actually, as the install itself is in the form of an .img file.....and none of the normal installers will even recognise it.

I cheated, slightly; I used Hexxeh's install instructions, but his most recent build is from 2013; so I hopped on over to arnoldthebat's world-of-whimsy:-

http://arnoldthebat.co.uk/wordpress/chromium-os/

The download link on his site does at least take you to a page where you can get the brand spanking-new, bleeding-edge daily builds.....this one was only built on the 15th of this month.....just five days ago.

There are Linux specific instructions; hell, it's a Linux-based system, after all.....but you kinda get the impression it's mainly intended for Windows users to 'try out' before deciding whether or not to buy a ChromeBook.

I'd love to know what the hell it's done to my flash drive, though; I've never seen so many teeny, tiny partitions.....somewhere between 12 and 14 in total (and half of those are labeled as 'unknown', according to gParted!) And this is a mere 4 GB flash drive.....

Mike.
Attachments
ChromiumOS partitions_1.png
(127.02 KiB) Downloaded 218 times
Last edited by Mike Walsh on Sun 24 May 2015, 15:33, edited 1 time in total.

mcewanw

Bento sushi

#1894 Post by mcewanw »

Trying Bento sushi vivid, which is based on Lubuntu I think. EDIT: Well, website says it is actually a Ubuntu Openbox Remix.

http://linuxvillage.org/en/2015/05/bent ... 1-and-rc2/

This particular bento iso is cutdown 475 MB download which doesn't contain any office suite, uses latest Midori 0.5.9 browser (I think) and latest Ubuntu15.04 (I think). I'm on DebianDog at the moment so can't check these details other than Bento webpage online.

For my own record, which may be useful to someone else:

I am booting using grub4dos from my /dev/sda2 where I have my menu.lst file that includes entry below. I have the bento iso as below on the fourth partition of the same drive.

# This example requires you to extract vmlinuz and initrd.lz from the bento live-cd iso and put them in subdir /bento-sushi-vivid on hd0,3 (/dev/sda4)
# Also had the bento-sushi-vivid-rc1-with-resolvconf-x86_64.iso stored in /bento-sushi-vivid on /dev/sda4
# Could be altered to suit the use of different partition and storage folder location for the bento iso etc
# Can add the word "persistent" just after boot=casper if wanting to use pre-prepared casper-rw save file or save partition with casper-rw name
# Haven't tried persistent use yet but worked when I tried same with Lubuntu

title Frugal bento ubuntu sushi vivid
root (hd0,3)
kernel /bento-sushi-vivid/casper/vmlinuz boot=casper iso-scan/filename=/bento-sushi-vivid/sushi-vivid-rc1-with-resolvconf-x86_64.iso splash --
initrd /bento-sushi-vivid/casper/initrd.lz

William
github mcewanw

mikeb

#1895 Post by mikeb »

I'd love to know what the hell it's done to my flash drive, though; I've never seen so many teeny, tiny partitions.....somewhere between 12 and 14 in total (and half of those are labeled as 'unknown', according to gParted!) And this is a mere 4 GB flash drive.....
yes weird.... does it make yer manhood bigger?
actually never feel comfy doing mad partition table stuff to flash..did lose one that way.

mike

Mike Walsh

#1896 Post by Mike Walsh »

Morning, Michael..!

You're in one of those silly moods today, aren't you? Must be the early start.....got out of bed the wrong side, did we? :lol:

Mike 2 Mike.

rokytnji

#1897 Post by rokytnji »

Owning a Chromebook myself. That partition layout is a normal thing for Google operating systems. I kinda freaked the 1st time I saw mine on my 16gig SSD internal laptop drive.

It is kinda freaky deeky. Some if I remember are read only also so I had to use a recent more newer gparted to delete all partitions on the drive to start fresh.

If you are bored and want a read. Google, "ChromeOS support tit's on a bull"

I am pretty sure google throws my rant as the 1st hit.

Mike has a bed? I figured him for a Chesterfeildtype of sleeper on the boat.

Because I am so tall. My bed is a 9 footer blue fabric couch out of a Hospital waiting room.

That sucker is comfy for my long legs.

Mike Walsh

#1898 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hey, Roky.

Nah. More like he fell out of the hammock! (Shades of Hornblower there.....Google 'C.S. Forester' if you don't know...)

You're telling me your Acer went tits up after removing one single screw? *Jeez, Louise...*

Yep; that sucks. :lol:

So, tell me; what are all those silly little partitions, then? What do they actually do? When I went to have a look at it (like you), gParted didn't quite throw a hissy, but it did have a pop at me 'cos the MBR wasn't at the start of the disk... (??)

What's that all about? It's perplexing, mate....that's what it is.

Mike.

rokytnji

#1899 Post by rokytnji »

So, tell me; what are all those silly little partitions, then? What do they actually do?
Hell if I know or care. I ponder on stuff like this just about as much as I call folks and use my Iphone. Not alot if you don't catch my drift. I fixed the Acer. :wink:

Yachts are a $1000 bucks a linear foot. No telling what a yachtsman like MikeB may be napping on. :wink:

Downloaded Slackel Fluxbox 32 bit iso for another desktop dumped from city hall.
Dealing with wacky forum registration and login snafus presently because md5sum at
sourceforge does not match my wget downloaded iso

Code: Select all

harry@biker:~/Downloads
$ wget http://softlayer-dal.dl.sourceforge.net/project/slackel/fluxbox/slackellive-fluxbox-1.0-32.iso
--2015-05-22 11:47:07--  http://softlayer-dal.dl.sourceforge.net/project/slackel/fluxbox/slackellive-fluxbox-1.0-32.iso
Resolving softlayer-dal.dl.sourceforge.net (softlayer-dal.dl.sourceforge.net)... 67.228.157.232
Connecting to softlayer-dal.dl.sourceforge.net (softlayer-dal.dl.sourceforge.net)|67.228.157.232|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
Length: 679477248 (648M) [application/octet-stream]
Saving to: 'slackellive-fluxbox-1.0-32.iso'

slackellive-fluxbox 100%[=====================>] 648.00M   371KB/s   in 29m 52ss

2015-05-22 12:16:59 (370 KB/s) - 'slackellive-fluxbox-1.0-32.iso' saved [679477248/679477248]

harry@biker:~/Downloads
$ md5sum slackellive-fluxbox-1.0-32.iso 
7355e559e41152f3bfbc71c6e2fcd104  slackellive-fluxbox-1.0-32.iso
74e6d57691b57accbb7cb5b724fd2a71<<<<<<Sourceforge hash md5 number

mikeb

#1900 Post by mikeb »

Hm hammock would be nice but the internal arrangement prevents one..the english and their desire for large toilets eh. Had a caravan with one and took great pleasure in ripping it out.
You're in one of those silly moods today, aren't you?
I just like to make it obvious when I am talking bollocks :D

Yachts here are at a price even we can afford...quite a bit less than yer figure there. less than a caravan or a car.

Big chest......

Mike

Mike Walsh

#1901 Post by Mike Walsh »

No, I tried one of them meself.

My old man was always into yachts in a big way (like I told you, I believe). This was back when he was having his first venture into power boats.....a 50 ft Dutch 'Fleur-de-lys' class motor sailer; he wanted the comfort of something he knew, hence the big steadying sail on the back.

I strung it up between the mast on the rear deck and the corner of the wheelhouse. Jumped into it.....and promptly fell straight out again! Never could get the hang of them.....

Very similar to this one, except the mast was at the back of the wheelhouse.

Mike 2 Mike.
Attachments
Fleur-de-lys.jpg
(25.84 KiB) Downloaded 395 times

Mike Walsh

#1902 Post by Mike Walsh »

Very similar to this one, except the mast was at the back of the wheelhouse.
Actually, more like this..... Sorry for the crap picture quality. :D

Mike 2 Mike.
Attachments
Fleur-de-lys2.jpg
(36.15 KiB) Downloaded 231 times

Burn_IT

#1903 Post by Burn_IT »

I would seriously avoid anything that does that to a drive.
If it was deliberate, it is absolutely terrible design.
If not, it is seriously buggy.

Added: It seems it IS seriously deliberate.

https://www.chromium.org/chromium-os/ch ... isk-format
"Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush" - T Pratchett

mikeb

#1904 Post by mikeb »

Posting pictures like that will cause severe drooling which is likely to short out th ekeyboard.....

Actually all I want in life is a supply of rice that is not utter crap...seems impossible at the moment :(

I liked featherweightlinux and still have a copy tucked away.

mike

wboz

#1905 Post by wboz »

It's completely deliberate. I don't fully understand why Google partitions like that, though. I think they just like to compartmentalize: one for the boot record, one for the file systems, one for autoupdates, one for restoration etc ... keeps it very secure and robust.

Burn_IT

#1906 Post by Burn_IT »

It also leaves it so that just about any disk error will destroy the whole system.
"Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush" - T Pratchett

bark_bark_bark

#1907 Post by bark_bark_bark »

I decided to try Q4OS on an older Atom tower I own and with in the first minute after install, I saw a MAJOR difference in speed compared to Windows XP.

Sadly, I didn't take a screenshot yet. The only bad part about the distribution was systemd.

James C

#1908 Post by James C »

In the past I've had basically unsuccessful attempts when upgrading any of the 'buntus to a newer version. Naturally I tried again...... :lol:

Xubuntu Precise 12.04 lost support last month so I tried the upgrade to 14.04 (support till 2017).Downloaded over 1600 packages,removed over 400 old packages.

Not too many problems....needed to redo the menu.lst in Grub and edit fstab because swap was temporarily missing.Otherwise everything appears to be working.

http://xubuntu.org/
Attachments
Xubuntu 14.04.2.jpg
(30.55 KiB) Downloaded 660 times

James C

#1909 Post by James C »

Just updated Arch....other than systemd it's been really solid.

https://www.archlinux.org/

Code: Select all

[james@evo ~]$ uname -a
Linux evo 4.0.4-2-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT Fri May 22 03:05:23 UTC 2015 x86_64 GNU/Linux
Attachments
Arch.jpg
(54.52 KiB) Downloaded 645 times

mikeb

#1910 Post by mikeb »

I decided to try Q4OS on an older Atom tower I own and with in the first minute after install, I saw a MAJOR difference in speed compared to Windows XP.
I like making a major difference to the speed of XP..boots and runs like puppy2 here. Atom board played 9 dragons nicely.

Featherweight was one of the few live distros thats was almost usable on me pentium 2 64MB ram machine at the time..and it had KDE 3!! Based on feather linux but more user friendly/useful.

mike