Other Distros

Puppy related raves and general interest that doesn't fit anywhere else
James C

#1756 Post by James C »

technosaurus wrote:Has anyone else tried this?
Guess I'm the only one.....

Code: Select all

admin@ubuntu:~$ uname -a
Linux ubuntu 3.13.0-46-generic #77-Ubuntu SMP Mon Mar 2 18:23:39 UTC 2015 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
admin@ubuntu:~$ 
Seems lighter and quicker than regular 'buntu's (I use Ubuntu MATE and Xubuntu).A different implementation of JWM too.

Nice to have the loaded repositories too.
Attachments
Sing.jpg
(19.14 KiB) Downloaded 363 times

greengeek

#1757 Post by greengeek »

mikeb wrote:I did try the oven baked approach but think I went a bit too far with charred results.
I've done a heatgun repair on about 20 HP LJP3005 printers and succeeded with all but one. As Starhawk said this kind of approach only buys you time, but hey it works for a few months. I'm of the opinion that the problem is the design issue inherent in using any BGA chip - the ball of solder underneath the contact point is always being asked to expand and contact as the chip and motherboard expand at different rates. Tthe heat is initially generated in the chip so it expands first, then the motherboard expands more slowly as the heat transfers, so there is always mechanical movement (very small) between the chip and the mobo surface, which generates dry joints as the solder composition/condition changes.

I avoid RAM chips that use BGA design for exactly this reason - it is nowhere near as good as the older chips which had legs poking out of the sides of the chips, allowing expansion and contraction to be absorbed by the metal of the legs rather than by the solder itself.

666philb

#1758 Post by 666philb »

Colonel Panic wrote:I stand corrected. I'm using Tahrpup now and it won't install to a single partition; it's the whole hard drive or nothing. Oh well.
hi Colonel Panic,

fll install to partition is working fine for me, but james c has also reported this happening to him as well on one of his older computers. what option did you choose in the universal installer?

also , do you know the make and type of your harddrive?
cheers

phil
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

mikeb

#1759 Post by mikeb »

I'm of the opinion that the problem is the design issue inherent in using any BGA chip - the ball of solder underneath the contact point is always being asked to expand and contact as the chip and motherboard expand at different rates. Tthe heat is initially generated in the chip so it expands first, then the motherboard expands more slowly as the heat transfers, so there is always mechanical movement (very small) between the chip and the mobo surface, which generates dry joints as the solder composition/condition changes.
And lead free solder, apart from needing higher temperatures and in industry precious metal tips to avoid fast corrosion (yes there are shitty chemicals in it too), quickly becomes brittle under such thermal expansion.
The softer nature of leaded solder can handle it much much better...which is why lead free is not allowed in such as aircraft and automobile electronics...its simply too unreliable in stressful and critical applications...ok for selling equipment that will fail in a year or too to the public though.

Funny I never remember ever eating circuit boards to poison myself...same goes for automobile batteries.

My source of information...a very interesting tour around a factory that makes robot soldering equipment.....ie for the stuff you cannot flow solder... and I got a full run down of the problems introduced with lead free... seems more like a way of building in obsolescence and put up manufacturing costs in the end...just like the antistatic junk was years before even though it was a short lived problem with early CMOS.
Bullcrappo makes money....

I turned down their job offer as they paid so badly... guess they spent up on retooling :D (actually the boss was a tight arse...even got the company name on the cheap.)

mike

mike

Colonel Panic

#1760 Post by Colonel Panic »

666philb wrote:
Colonel Panic wrote:I stand corrected. I'm using Tahrpup now and it won't install to a single partition; it's the whole hard drive or nothing. Oh well.
hi Colonel Panic,

fll install to partition is working fine for me, but james c has also reported this happening to him as well on one of his older computers. what option did you choose in the universal installer?

also , do you know the make and type of your harddrive?
cheers

phil
Hi,

It's a Maxtor and, according to my system information program (Hardinfo), it's a 6L160P0 - that is, a DiamondMax 10;

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6822144181
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

rcrsn51

#1761 Post by rcrsn51 »

mikeb wrote:Funny I never remember ever eating circuit boards to poison myself...same goes for automobile batteries.
What an odd comment. Does the same rule apply to other toxic substances, like asbestos?

Burn_IT

#1762 Post by Burn_IT »

That was a sarcastic comment about the EU directive forcing the change to lead free solder.
It cost the electronic community a fortune.
"Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush" - T Pratchett

mikeb

#1763 Post by mikeb »

Yes sarcasm.... point was the forced changeover when there was no significant problem in the first place and as it happens the replacement has some toxic elements anyway and expensive in terms of precious material usage side effects....also pushing out equipment which is doomed to early failure due to an inherent weakness is hardly an enviromental move.....
...laws that are aimed at creating revenue rather than actually improve matters are all to common and this appears to be another one.

Asbestos handling laws have created a huge cash cow...at least over here...when the real danger was in the factories producing the stuff rather than in its destination environment. Anyone heard of any asbestosis cases outside of the manufacturing industry?

mike

mikeb

#1764 Post by mikeb »

mail glitch

rcrsn51

#1765 Post by rcrsn51 »

mikeb wrote:Anyone heard of any asbestosis cases outside of the manufacturing industry?
So what's your point? Anything that doesn't hurt you personally is OK?

Burn_IT

#1766 Post by Burn_IT »

mikeb wrote:
Anyone heard of any asbestosis cases outside of the manufacturing industry?

Well actually I have, but he was a roofer and was stupid enough to drill and cut asbestos sheeting overhead and in an enclosed environment without any sort of mask.

mikeb

#1767 Post by mikeb »

Well actually I have, but he was a roofer and was stupid enough to drill and cut asbestos sheeting overhead and in an enclosed environment without any sort of mask.
ok so I was asking for that one.
So what's your point? Anything that doesn't hurt you personally is OK?
that's just insulting

If all you can manage is persistant personal attacks don't bother.

mike

Keisha

asbestos

#1768 Post by Keisha »

mikeb wrote:...Anyone heard of any asbestosis cases outside of the manufacturing industry?
Not intending to take you too literally, but aren't we all guilty of that from time to time. But, to speak to the point, actually yes, I know of one lawsuit brought several years ago by a widower who used to be a neighbor of mine, claiming that his wife's fatal cancer was caused by the asbestos which was formerly used in aftermarket replacement automobile brake linings. The plaintiff was a retired Air Force MP who spent all of his 30-year career at Lakenheath and worked on cars as a sideline all his life. The deceased wife was originally from the UK. I do not know whether the suit was filed in the US or the UK.
“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer.â€￾ --Bruce Lee

rcrsn51

#1769 Post by rcrsn51 »

@mikeb: I'm sorry if I hurt your feelings.

But consider the irony of this situation. We send our lead-filled electronics to the third world for recycling. Then they send the lead back to us in cheap, untested consumer goods, like children's toys.

Burn_IT

#1770 Post by Burn_IT »

My local council was offering people up to £3000 to replace their garage roof with modern ones. They refused to do mine when they found it was corrugated asbestos, but threatened to sue me for it until I pointed out that it was there when I bought the house and that the house had been built originally by....... the council.
They still refused to replace it since they had no workmen qualified to do so.

mikeb

#1771 Post by mikeb »

Ok a bad example indeed..I like to put mny foot in it now and then

.. just here there is a requirement for hundreds of pounds of survey and work for the silliest little jobs often with no connection with any asbestos present which is of the non dangerous type anyway. The workmen themselves (who wear masks as a general health precaution anyway) and even the asbestos surveyors tell me there is no risk in the type of work and precense of the asbestos (house is old enough that some is used for the roof eves and built into the original floor tiles.... it was apparently used for some textured ceiling paint.)

I would never disregard others safety.... those who would be threatened were the ones saying the procedures required for handling asbestos in domestic properties were unnecessary..... also ironic that a water tank made of the stuff with a flaking damaged lid corner was deemed not a problem when i pointed it out. I think the risk of the garage roofs varies depending on who feels like spending money at the time .
But consider the irony of this situation. We send our lead-filled electronics to the third world for recycling. Then they send the lead back to us in cheap, untested consumer goods, like children's toys.
Well if that is the situation then that is unacceptable.... but it does not make the use of leaded solder hazerdous in itself...this is about negligent disposal of waste in order to save a few bucks and the wider issue of excessive consumerism and the disposable society. If safety standards are not being applied to childrens toys then God knows what materials could be creeping in there and I am sure there are plenty of other sources for lead in such a scenario.

Ok way off topic.....yet important issues. One for the offtopic section. I only brought the subject in as part of the discussion on unreliability of graphic chips in recent computers....and even thats stretching the topic... perhaps we should leave it here.

mike

mikeb

#1772 Post by mikeb »

sorry forum is glitchy today...

Colonel Panic

#1773 Post by Colonel Panic »

I've just installed another distro for old computers; Swift, which is based on Debian and whose main developer is a fan of Puppy. Sadly it seems to have been yet another distro which has fallen by the wayside, as the edition I'm using (0.2.0) is the latest one and was released in April 2012. As far as I can see it works very well.
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

darry1966

#1774 Post by darry1966 »

Colonel Panic wrote:I've just installed another distro for old computers; Swift, which is based on Debian and whose main developer is a fan of Puppy. Sadly it seems to have been yet another distro which has fallen by the wayside, as the edition I'm using (0.2.0) is the latest one and was released in April 2012. As far as I can see it works very well.
Hello Colonel,

Yes thats true it is Debian based it is actually orignally based on Antix then moved based to Linux Mint debian edtion I do believe wasn't bad and still fuctional, couldn't Xine to work on it though,

nitehawk

#1775 Post by nitehawk »

Oh, blast!
Another nice little distro gone, eh? First CrunchBang,...and now Swift? Drats. I really enjoy using my old PIII,...but finding stuff to run on it is getting harder and harder.

Well,...we still have different Puppy flavors,..Antix,..etc. etc. etc.
And the small stuff really runs great on my newer computers as well. Slackware seems to run pretty good on newer and older stuff, too. But VectorLinux takes so looooooooooooooooooooooong between releases nowdays. Whats happening with Salix, Absolute, and Zenwalk now? Hmmmm.....something I have to look into. I must also have a look at Slax, as well.

EDIT: BTW,..does anyone know of a little distro that is just like VectorLinux,...but is Debian-based???? I mean,..Vector is really super nice, in that it is a complete little distro that is LOADED with apps and codecs (and looks really good, too). Is there any Debian-based distro like it? Antix just doesn't have as many apps that comes OOTB like Vector does.