Other Distros

Puppy related raves and general interest that doesn't fit anywhere else
Colonel Panic

#151 Post by Colonel Panic »

Paul Sherman's recently released an update of Absolute; 13.39. I've installed it because for now I need a functioning word processor which will open Word 2003 documents, as LibreOffice will and Abiword still won't dependably IME (though it will open Word 97 ones), and Absolute's weakness on the multimedia front doesn't bother me for the moment. So far it's working fine but I'm still looking forward to getting some more RAM and installing Mint 11.
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

nitehawk

#152 Post by nitehawk »

Yeah,...it seems like every OTHER Slackware-based distro has been busy with new releases. Then there's Vector that doesn't seem to be releasing it's version 7, until it becomes totally outdated !
Just regular Slackware has been working for me (with a lot of "tinkering" to get it set up right).....but I really would love to have a smaller slack-based distro that would do what the old Vector 6 standard used to.
I was really proud of Wary 5.1.1 today, though. I have it on my HP Pavilion notebook laptop (because it has the Conexant internal winmodem driver, etc. etc. etc.)..and I was able to play movie DVDs OOTB. Some Slackware (and Salix Linux, and Vector 6 SOHO) apps will run on Wary, too. Pretty neat.

nooby

#153 Post by nooby »

Nitehawk how does you set up Slackware so it boot frugally on
NTFS internal HDD? What grub4dos menu code do you use?

I know how to boot slax variations like Porteus and Pmagic
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

Colonel Panic

#154 Post by Colonel Panic »

nitehawk wrote:Yeah,...it seems like every OTHER Slackware-based distro has been busy with new releases. Then there's Vector that doesn't seem to be releasing it's version 7, until it becomes totally outdated !
They still haven't got Vector 7 right though; the keymap installer doesn't work and you have to set the keyboard manually once you're in Vector 7.

I've been having an argument with them about this on the Vector forum. I don't think a distro should be released until it's the best it can get, and any flaws which have been revealed in bug testing, fixed or the afflicted software dropped or changed for something else. There are no shortage of distros for people to choose from now if yours doesn't work properly.
nitehawk wrote:Just regular Slackware has been working for me (with a lot of "tinkering" to get it set up right).....but I really would love to have a smaller slack-based distro that would do what the old Vector 6 standard used to.
Yeah, Vector 6 was an all time great. I've got a feeling the Slackware base isn't as solid this time though - MPlayer keeps crashing in Absolute, for example.

I can't boot the Slack 13 DVD on my own machine for some reason, otherwise I'd be tempted with it too.
nitehawk wrote:I was really proud of Wary 5.1.1 today, though. I have it on my HP Pavilion notebook laptop (because it has the Conexant internal winmodem driver, etc. etc. etc.)..and I was able to play movie DVDs OOTB. Some Slackware (and Salix Linux, and Vector 6 SOHO) apps will run on Wary, too. Pretty neat.
Cool. Wary is a good Pup for older computers.
Last edited by Colonel Panic on Thu 06 Oct 2011, 12:33, edited 3 times in total.
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

nooby

#155 Post by nooby »

So is Vector seen as a real Slackware?
Them got very upset with me for even saying that
Proteus is based on Slackware. Proteus is not based
on Slackware the Slackware people on LQ told me.

so what about Vector? I got the Soho version going on an old
XP machine with help from the Dev naturally. He was very friendly.
Helping me getting a save file for it.
But i failed to get it working on the Netbook maybe due to that one
having nosmp Atom CPU N270

What menu.lst for frugal install of Vector on NTFS?

nitehawk

#156 Post by nitehawk »

Nooby,...I never have done a frugal install of Slackware or Vector (usually I just dual-booted with wXP on hard drive).
And I NEVER could get Vector 6 SOHO to boot after install. I tried on several different computers,..and it always stopped at the "Going to multiuser GUI" (?). It might be the CD I got,...(bad burn).

Colonel Panic

#157 Post by Colonel Panic »

nitehawk wrote:Nooby,...I never have done a frugal install of Slackware or Vector (usually I just dual-booted with wXP on hard drive).
And I NEVER could get Vector 6 SOHO to boot after install. I tried on several different computers,..and it always stopped at the "Going to multiuser GUI" (?). It might be the CD I got,...(bad burn).
Have you tried Vector 6 KDE Classic (which uses KDE 3 series)?It runs just fine on my machine. I mostly prefer the apps in Vector Standard though.

- CP

nooby

#158 Post by nooby »

I totally failed to boot Vector frugally on NTFS.

So I tried to boot Bodhi linux which is a small version of Ubuntu?
http://bodhilinux.com/

Sure them want us to use Grub2 but I don't have that one on the internal hdd only on usb and that one already have Bodhi on it and works good. :)

I want it to boot on the hdd too.

So I tested a variety of set ups on the menu.lst but being a noob i know too little what the code really require and how to "cheat" on it to boot anyway.

Here is a picture of the error it says.

"Please provide a name for this disk such as Debian 5.03 Disk 1"

obviously that is a very old version.
2009-02-15: Distribution Release: Debian GNU/Linux 5.0 distrowatch.com
So that is from some script inside the initrd whatever that gives a very general and not Bodhi specific suggestion by some Dev that made Debian boot.

So any suggestion how I get it to boot using grub4dos menu.lst on NTFS internal hdd?
Attachments
bodhi-boot-fails.jpg
(71.78 KiB) Downloaded 340 times

d4p

#159 Post by d4p »

It works fine internal/external Hd

title Bodhi_1.2.1.iso
find --set-root --ignore-floppies --ignore-cd /bodhi_1.2.1.iso
map --heads=0 --sectors-per-track=0 /bodhi_1.2.1.iso (0xFF)
map --hook
root (0xFF)
kernel /casper/vmlinuz file=/cdrom/preseed/custom.seed boot=casper persistent iso-scan/filename=/bodhi_1.2.1.iso quiet splash --
initrd /casper/initrd.gz

nitehawk

#160 Post by nitehawk »

Colonel Panic wrote: Have you tried Vector 6 KDE Classic (which uses KDE 3 series)?It runs just fine on my machine. I mostly prefer the apps in Vector Standard though.
- CP
Actually,..yes I have. I've been using it recently on my second computer (PIII--1Ghz--512 ram--40G hard drive). It's pretty nice,...but no word processor at all (not even Kword)....and it still uses the Vector Linux's old file format (.tlz instead of the newer .txz). I just (as of a couple of days ago) switched to SalixOS 13.37. Now that is a nice Slackware-based distro ! I'm gonna get Vector 7 when it comes out, though (and when I can get a CD of it). Meanwhile,...Salix has made me drop Slackware,.....nice. I was able to add several apps right from the Slackware 13.37 DVD onto my install of SalixOS (and the Win32 codecs from the 2nd DVD of Vector 6 SOHO). I added MPlayer,...and used Wary to copy the Mozilla (MPlayer) plugins into Salix's Firefox (usr/lib/mozilla/plugins).

nooby

#161 Post by nooby »

d4p wrote:It works fine internal/external Hd

title Bodhi_1.2.1.iso
map --hook
root (0xFF)
kernel /casper/vmlinuz file=/cdrom/preseed/custom.seed boot=casper persistent iso-scan/filename=/bodhi_1.2.1.iso quiet splash --
initrd /casper/initrd.gz
I can sure try but my poor memory tells me that grub4dos can not do

this on internal ntfs hdd at all.

map --hook
root (0xFF)

Such are only used on USB? Are you sure you booted on NTFS internal hdd?

nooby

#162 Post by nooby »

I am writing from within a booted Nimblex 2010 Beta now.

I extracted the boot directory and the nimblex directory and placed them on /mnt/sda3 so if you have it other way you need to change those fuígures.

Flash on streaming video and on youtube just worked out of the box.
pictures and videos on the internal hdd works.

I have not tested yet if I am allowed to write to it though. I try to test and get back.

Here is the code?
title NimbleX 2010
root (hd0,2)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-nx10 quiet vga=791 autoexec=startx
initrd /boot/initrd-nx10.gz
It boots to root and I have now tested to save changes to menu.lst and it just accepted it .

It does not boot to ram AFAIK so it is a bit slow? But that could be set with a toram code I guess

d4p

#163 Post by d4p »

"I can sure try but my poor memory tells me that grub4dos can not do

this on internal ntfs hdd at all.

map --hook
root (0xFF)"

It Posted: Tue 04 Oct 2011, 23:17, how to do it.

nooby

#164 Post by nooby »

d4p wrote:...

I Posted: Tue 04 Oct 2011, 23:17, how to do it.
Yes sorry, I sure want to trust you but your example
did not look consistent to me.

in one example you had

map --hook
root (0xFF)"

in another you told me to change the (0xFF) to (hd32)

but then you got back to (0xFF) in an example you claimed was for internal hdd.

So your suggestions did not came through as consistent to me.
But sure i try and tell result. Would be cool if it worked.

Edit No have tested with many variations now and also exactly as you described and it fails. Error 60

May I guess that you have the USB in the slot when you boot so
sure you may have the Casper and preseed on the internal hdd but
in reality you boot from the usb with the code you used. if one have
that code in a menu.lst on the ntfs hdd then it says Error 60

d4p

#165 Post by d4p »

1. Change the (0xFF) to (hd32)
2. Defrag the partition where you put the iso file to fix the error 60

There are many free portable defragment tools.
I like to use Power Defragmenter.

nooby

#166 Post by nooby »

I certainly did the hd32 thing :)

But you are most likely right about the need to defragment.

But this is what them say about the tool you suggest.
Power Defragmenter is a GUI (Graphic User Interface) application for program Contig by Sysinternals.

Contig is a very powerful defragmentation application designed for Windows NT/2000/XP operating systems.
So either it works in wine in puppy or it does not.

If it works in wine you need to tell me how to get it started.
I even failed to get internet explorer to start in wine.

8-bit

#167 Post by 8-bit »

Besides various versions of Puppy, I also have on my PCs, WinXP and Win Vista Home Premium, and Win 7 64bit.
All of the Win versions get started once in a while to let them update their antivirus programs and windows updates.
Of course I still have some games that just will not work with wine in Puppy. I have tried and some will not even install.

Also, irregardless to popular belief, there are some things you can do in windows that you cannot do in Puppy.

You cannot view the blue screen of death in puppy.
You do not get to see FlashPlayer pop up message boxes almost daily wanting to update.
You do not have an automatic virus checker take over your PC while it does a scheduled scan.
You do not have MS update wanting to reboot your PC.
I would include you do not have to pay for the OS, but we know that a purchased PC comes with it.
You do not have to buy a new PC when a new version of windows appears because of it not supporting your present hardware.
Did I leave anything out?

Although, we do have a close second when a video card gets the wrong driver loaded and you have a black screen and a locked up PC that requires a hard shutdown to recover.

We also have to swish bugs in new versions of Puppy sometimes.
But we have faithfull members here that are willing to try to help you when you have problems with Puppy.

nooby

#168 Post by nooby »

8-bit wrote:Did I leave anything out?
Not leaving out but you did not tell me how to do defrag without
booting up in Windows without triggering all these nasty updates
and virus things and so on.

Are there any Defrag that one can launce using a USB and Xplite from
Hirens rescue CD/DVD iso or something.

Yes I do ahve it on CD but not on USB how does one get it booted on USB
so I can defrag?

I hate going into Windows. Nasty company locking people in.

rcrsn51

#169 Post by rcrsn51 »

nooby wrote:Not leaving out but you did not tell me how to do defrag without booting up in Windows without triggering all these nasty updates and virus things and so on.
If you are that worried about booting into Windows, just unplug the network cable when you do it.

nooby

#170 Post by nooby »

Edit
d4p and rcrsn51 Thanks to both of you for not giving up on me despite my deep skepticism.

But it did not boot using the map and hook that gave the error 60 even after doing complete defrag.

But after editing out that boot code and keeping the rest
then it booted and I write from within bodhi linux now.
So great thanks! Much appreciated. I think I have wanted this
since March 2011 sometbing or January? I even asked on their forum
how one boot on NTFS and none cared to answer me.

Typically I don't remember password or email address I gave them.

I did not need to defrag anything not even the iso it just booted now when I more by accident tested to edit your suggestion d4p.

So if others also want to try Bodhi linux in a frugal install on NTFS
then check out this code in grub4dos

Code: Select all

title Bodhi linux using the Bodhi_1.2.1.iso boot
initrd /casper/initrd.gz
And lo and behold. Total surprise. It even allowed me to save changes to the menu.lst despite it being on teh same hdd partition that it boots from.

I mean not even AntiX 8.5 nor Antix 11 allow for that and other linux distros does not allow it either. So Bodhi devs have either forgot to add the restraints that Debian Ubuntu usually add or them have gone over board to circumvent these restraint and not even bragged about it.

Have no idea but it just works.