Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu 23 Oct 2014, 16:50
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Misc
Other Distros
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 98 of 111 [1664 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, ..., 109, 110, 111 Next
Pete

PostPosted: Thu 10 Apr 2014, 14:11    Post subject:  

puppy_apprentice wrote:

But suggesting that Barry is doing something in secrecy......but as i said suggesting something against BK is not nice.

I'm not suggesting he did anything underhanded willingly or knowingly.
All I said was that he could have been forced/intimidated into doing it, not impossible.
If it happens at Microsoft which is a huge organization, why not a single person?

puppy_apprentice wrote:

Have you asked (if used Ubuntu) MS if he works or worked for NSA, CIA or maybe for Vatican's Opus Dei? Wink

Couldn't care less about Shuttleworth's affiliations as I don't use Ubuntu.
puppy_apprentice

PostPosted: Thu 10 Apr 2014, 14:19    Post subject:  

I've quoted you but my questions was especialy for those posters that suggest something eg. CLAM01.

Myself i have more respect for Linux coders than for coders that works for big commercial corporations. If somebody needs more security he should use Libre distros. Those don't have closed source blobs.
Pete

PostPosted: Thu 10 Apr 2014, 14:40    Post subject:  

puppy_apprentice wrote:
I've quoted you but my questions was especialy for those posters that suggest something eg. CLAM01.

Understood.
I certainly don't agree with CLAM01 that Barry purposely and under no duress put something fishy in the kernel.

If I was the one that created an enormously popular distro and one day got a knock
on my door and was told in no uncertain terms by a government agency to do this or else, I know what I would do.
I'm no Snowden and certainly have no martyr tendencies.

puppy_apprentice wrote:

Myself i have more respect for Linux coders than for coders that works for big commercial corporations. If somebody needs more security he should use Libre distros. Those don't have closed source blobs.

Agreed.
James C

PostPosted: Thu 10 Apr 2014, 14:46    Post subject:  

More for the conspiracy theorists.....

Julian Assange: Debian Is Owned By The NSA

https://igurublog.wordpress.com/2014/04/08/julian-assange-debian-is-owned-by-the-nsa/

Quote:
I recommend watching his 36 minute Q&A in its entirety, keeping in mind my recent warnings about how GNU/Linux is almost entirely engineered by the government/military-affiliated Red Hat corporation.

We all must immediately turn off all electronic devices........we can't trust anyone.......spies are everywhere.
Pete

PostPosted: Thu 10 Apr 2014, 14:57    Post subject:  

From the article that James C posted a link to above, one line says it all:

Quote:

the Linux system depends on thousands of packages and libraries that may be compromised.

I rest my case.

Does the NSA (and other agencies) have the capability to spy on you via your computer?
Absolutely.

Do they?

Who knows, unless you are engaged in some seriously dodgy stuff, why should they spend time and resources on of the Terabytes of data generated daily (and intercepted by them) to single you out.
puppy_apprentice

PostPosted: Thu 10 Apr 2014, 15:00    Post subject:  

Now is clear why Debian will be using systemd. Because Debian is RH puppet Wink

Recently Linus was not nice for one of systemd coders (there were some bugs in systemd that kernel coders have to try avoid via kernel patches). So it seems that Linus is the only one thrustworthy man (but we don't have to forget that his father works in UE parliament and some people perceive UE as a one of NWO agencies) Wink
Pete

PostPosted: Thu 10 Apr 2014, 15:10    Post subject:  

Debian based Puppies anyone?
puppy_apprentice

PostPosted: Thu 10 Apr 2014, 15:19    Post subject:  

Pete wrote:

Does the NSA (and other agencies) have the capability to spy on you via your computer?
Absolutely.

Do they?

Who knows, unless you are engaged in some seriously dodgy stuff, why should they spend time and resources on of the Terabytes of data generated daily (and intercepted by them) to single you out.

NSA is listening whole world. Acording to Snowden they everyday collect metadata from our smartphones, smarttvs. They can plug to every internet node in the world (eg AT&T). They don't have to breake into our computers to know something about us. I don't have eg. Facebook acount but if my friend open such an account Facebook will get my eg. e-mail adress, my name and surname.

Bruce Schneier (cryptography expert) have two computers one for browsing and another for work and data (offline).

Last edited by puppy_apprentice on Thu 10 Apr 2014, 15:35; edited 1 time in total
puppy_apprentice

PostPosted: Thu 10 Apr 2014, 15:21    Post subject:  

Pete wrote:

I'm jocking about Debian. But there are Puppies based on Ubuntu and Ubuntu is Debian based Wink
Colonel Panic

PostPosted: Thu 10 Apr 2014, 15:46    Post subject:  

puppy_apprentice wrote:
Pete wrote:

I'm jocking about Debian. But there are Puppies based on Ubuntu and Ubuntu is Debian based Wink

DPup is based on Debian, and I think Exprimo is too. There may be others, but I don't know of any.

Stone Pentium IV (2.4 GHz), 2 GB of RAM, 160 GB hard drive running PuppEX 14.1, New Year's Pup 02, Puppy 4.31 Workhorse, Puppy X-Precise 2.4, Puppy Carolina 1.2, Puppy Legacy OS2 LTS, Puppy Diamond 528_512 (full) and Puppy Upup Raring 3.9.9.2.
bark_bark_bark

PostPosted: Thu 10 Apr 2014, 16:14    Post subject:  

closed source kernel firmware may be spying on us. If we remove it 95% of hardware will not work.
puppy_apprentice

PostPosted: Thu 10 Apr 2014, 16:23    Post subject:  

bark_bark_bark wrote:
closed source kernel firmware may be spying on us. If we remove it 95% of hardware will not work.

True. Before i've bought my last laptop i've bring to shop CD with gNewSense. Checked, everything was working so i've bought it. So if machine will works with Libre it will works with every distro.
Pete

PostPosted: Thu 10 Apr 2014, 16:28    Post subject:  

bark_bark_bark wrote:

And in many cases we actively seek it out and use it.
Take wifi for example, the open drivers for a specific card don't work, what do we do?
Rush and load ndiswrapper and immediately load a closed source driver, right there on a communications device connected to the outside world.

So for those that want to continue to assume that Puppy has no back doors, go right ahead.
I for one will assume the exact opposite.
James C

PostPosted: Thu 10 Apr 2014, 16:31    Post subject:  

James C wrote:

We all must immediately turn off all electronic devices........we can't trust anyone.......spies are everywhere.
nooby

PostPosted: Thu 10 Apr 2014, 17:59    Post subject:  

James C wrote:
James C wrote:

Page 98 of 111 [1664 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, ..., 109, 110, 111 Next
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Misc
Jump to: