Other Distros

Puppy related raves and general interest that doesn't fit anywhere else
nooby

#136 Post by nooby »

[quote="d4p"]“I would have to do a grub2 install to that loop-mount file so I can boot as root. How does one do that?
Any link to a description? any official name for such installs?
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

Colonel Panic

#137 Post by Colonel Panic »

I've recently downloaded Mint Debian 11 and tested it out on a community computer. It works fine in 1 GB of RAM but I haven't yet managed to get it working on my own machine so I can't say what it'd be like in 512 MB of RAM. At first sight, though, it is pretty impressive.

So for the moment it's replaced ArchBang for me, which for all its good qualities is just too dark and hard to navigate around by comparison.
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

Colonel Panic

#138 Post by Colonel Panic »

I'm giving Salix LXDE a trial at the moment. It certainly looks good but at the moment I can't see what it offers that Zenwalk (from which it appears to be a spinoff project) doesn't. It's more restrictive in what you can do in it than most other Slackware distros are, more like a Debian-based one in that running as root is not encouraged.
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

nooby

#139 Post by nooby »

Colonel Panic the two distros you mention above both has to be installed on their own partitions?

I've failed to boot them frugally. So either one use CD or USB or format a partition for them. Or else them refuse to boot?

tater

#140 Post by tater »

I'm giving archlinux a try. It's complicated, but lightweight
I've learned how to install kde and it runs good on this old p4 1.7ghz with 512mb ram. I am having trouble getting cups set to see a windows xp shared printer.

I have 2 hdd's so my second one does all the frugal installs of puppy and I use grub4dos to hook the boot loader.

I'm looking at mepis and may try it, though it's a big download.

Lucid 528 is my main puppy now. I think slacko looks to be a great 'next' puppy, but I still like to have a full system with login users.

So I'm still looking for a distro that will do easy configure as ubuntu can but without the bloat.

I'm am learning alot using arch as it's basically a 'do it yourself' os. I like pacman package manager in arch, it's fast.

I tried the latest ubuntu and kubuntu,, etc.. but my hardware and limited memory/graphics card,, etc, runs slow.

So far, arch may be the one, if I can configure cups.

My wary puppy 5.11 samba server is running perfect and I don't even have to mess with it much anymore. It just works.

I only wish that when I first got into computers many years ago, that I would have learned linux. Windows kept me dumbed down. :roll:

Anyway,, just giving my 2 cents.

Peace

Colonel Panic

#141 Post by Colonel Panic »

nooby wrote:Colonel Panic the two distros you mention above both has to be installed on their own partitions?

I've failed to boot them frugally. So either one use CD or USB or format a partition for them. Or else them refuse to boot?
Hi. Yes, Salix and Zenwalk Openbox do have to be installed to a hard drive before they can be used, although I believe there is a live version of Zenwalk available from their website. Mint Debian, on the otrher hand, runs just fine as a live disk although it uses less system resources (and is faster too) when installed to your hard drive.

nooby

#142 Post by nooby »

CoolPan wrote:Mint Debian, on the otrher hand, runs just fine as a live disk although it uses less system resources (and is faster too) when installed to your hard drive.
As a live disk? You mean on a live CD/DVD/USB?
Does it run on a frugal install on internal hdd that is formatted in ntfs?

I thought Debian Mint only accepted grub2 to boot and on linux formatted partitions and maybe Fat32 which I only have on USB.

Would be cool to get Debian Mint if you care to share the boot code you have? I trust it need UUID and some kind of label=mint or some such handle?
oops forgot link. is it this one?
http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=1818
Linux Mint Debian 201109 (Gnome & Xfce) released!
Written by Clem on Friday, September 16th, 2011

LMDE 201109 Gnome

The team is proud to announce the release of LMDE 201109 with updated ISOs for Gnome and Xfce.
Highlights
LMDE in brief

* Linux Mint Debian Edition (LMDE) is a rolling distribution based on Debian Testing.
* It’s available in both 32 and 64-bit as a live DVD with Gnome or Xfce.
* The purpose of LMDE is to look identical to the main edition and to provide the same functionality while using Debian as a base.

What’s new in this release

* All Linux Mint 11 features
* Installer improvements (keyboard variants, locale, bug fixes, UUID in fstab)
* Update Packs, dedicated Update Manager and staged repositories
* GTK2/GTK3 theme compatibility
* Updated software and packages

If you’re new to LMDE, welcome to Linux Mint Debian!
I guess them give some kind of relevant info here in know issues they say
Grub

LMDE uses the same version of Grub as Debian Testing. This version describes LMDE as "LinuxMint" instead of "Linux Mint Debian" as defined in /etc/linuxmint/info.

Haha as if all of us knows what kind of Grub the Debian Testing knows.

Search search search! Go at it.
I have now read twenty first answers on google for debian testing grub
and it seems one need 40_custom which means it is grub2 only booting.

Here is a cool question on guy asks.
# Rick Says:
September 17th, 2011 at 8:42 am

When installing it from HDD (by extracting the whole /casper folder from within the ISO and setting up Grub to load the kernel and initrd from there) it asks for the user (‘mint’) password during certain parts of the install procedure. What is the default user password?
http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=1818#comment-45614
another guys also asks about it on their forum
Password for root user Live DVD ? Them seems not to know :)

Jeff says "I think it is either root or password"
in another thread 11 posts tried to answer and none of them knew the answer. They suggested him trying Unetbootin instead of pendrivelinux so then he never have to know the password :)

Edit. I 've spent the last hour on reading their forum and other places like roboot and using google. I simply fail to trust this is a distro that I can boot on ntfs frugal install.

or can you help me setting that up?

Colonel Panic

#143 Post by Colonel Panic »

I'm afraid I can't help you with your questions about a frugal install of Mint, it's not something I've looked into. The Mint forum is probably your best bet.

nooby

#144 Post by nooby »

Colonel Panic wrote:I'm afraid I can't help you with your questions about a frugal install of Mint, it's not something I've looked into. The Mint forum is probably your best bet.
I'be been active on three or four forums that talked about Mint.

Nope on the Linux Mint forums those that I ahve tested. 3 or four.
There them can not help with frugal install.
Them only do real linux and not poor mans install like frugal. Under their sense of pride in using real linux.
I don't remember when I got active but most likely two years ago?
So them know nothing about frugal. Go to the Puppy forum them tell me.

d4p

#145 Post by d4p »

"Them only do real linux and not poor mans install like frugal. Under their sense of pride in using real linux.
I don't remember when I got active but most likely two years ago?
So them know nothing about frugal."

Basic frugal install/poor man/from iso/:
1. direct boot from iso (guarantee no conflict with other distros), but not all iso files will work.
2. frugal install/live booting (the right boot parameters require to boot properly). I guess they will not tell you or they dont know themselves what the right parameters are.
3. Take a look the initrd file, may help

Multiboot works for me, but maybe not for everybody.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTBaLZZmou4

title Linux Mint 11 lxde
find --set-root /linuxmint-11-lxde-cd-32bit.iso
map /linuxmint-11-lxde-cd-32bit.iso (0xff)
map --hook
root (0xff)
kernel /casper/vmlinuz file=/cdrom/preseed/mint.seed boot=casper persistent iso-scan/filename=/linuxmint-11-lxde-cd-32bit.iso floppy.allowed_drive_mask=0 splash
initrd /casper/initrd.lz

Frugal install will work also, just extract the iso file.

nooby

#146 Post by nooby »

d4p
map /linuxmint-11-lxde-cd-32bit.iso (0xff)
map --hook
root (0xff)
That is code for an USB such will not work on frugal installs on NTFS
internal HDD. Edit and even if one get it to boot most likely the code
does not allow one to access the drive that one booted from.

And even if one can read it it is still not allowed to write to.

Edit and look here on their own forum.
PMagic is for Grub2 so not so easy to combine with grub4dos booting in NTFS formatted internal HDD at all.

http://forums.partedmagic.com/viewtopic ... 7167#p7167

Have you tested this on a NTFS internal HDD?
menuentry "ISO - Partedmagic" {
set isofile="boot/iso/pmagic-6.1.iso"
loopback loop (hd0,msdos12)/$isofile
linux (loop)/pmagic/bzImage root=/dev/sdaX iso_filename=$isofile \
edd=off load_ramdisk=1 prompt_ramdisk=0 rw vga=normal loglevel=9 \
max_loop=256 vmalloc=256MiB keymap=it it_IT
initrd (loop)/pmagic/initramfs
}
I guess I took it for granted that that was the common ground :)
Some 90% of all sold computers in Big Mall type of Computer chain distribute stores have Win XP or Win Seven on them and NTFS formatted.

But I agree with you on most of your points. I guess if one have the knowledge then one can change something in the initrd that makes the
ntfs-3g.gz get activated and set up as read write for Root something.

But them don't want that to be done.

nooby

#147 Post by nooby »

d4p thanks for telling me about Parted Magic.

I've known about it for years not sure how many but none had told me how to use it.

I did not trust your suggestion to use a USB, I wanted to boot it on the internal HDD
and I did a google search and only found a grub.conf for Grub2 so I tried to translate that
into what grub4dos would need.

I just wild guessed and came up with this

Code: Select all

title "Partedmagic" fromiso=/pmagic/boot/iso/pmagic-6.7.iso
 rootnoverify (hd0,2) isofile="boot/iso/pmagic-6.7.iso"
kernel /pmagic/bzImage root=/dev/sda3 iso_filename=boot/iso/pmagic-6.7.iso edd=off load_ramdisk=1 prompt_ramdisk=0 rw vga=normal loglevel=9 max_loop=256 vmalloc=256MiB 
initrd /pmagic/initramfs
I downloaded the pmagic-6.7.zip and unipped it to the iso and then mounted the iso
by clicking on it in puppy and dragged out one file at a time to /mnt/home/ and
it had boot and pmagic dirs

I forgot to place the iso file on the /mnt/home/ it is deep down in /mnt/home/ isos/
but still booted and rather fast. It told me the root password was partedmagic
and seems to have autologged in. I take a look at Terminal

Welcome - Parted Magic (Linux 3.0.4-pmagic)

root@PartedMagic:~#

hash symbol does tell me that I am root I guess. oops one can ask it.

root@PartedMagic:~# whoami
root
root@PartedMagic:~#

Ah it even confirm that I am root

I am booted into Pmagic now and have only used it one minute so don't trust how to do things. I will use leafpad and test and I get back

Haha it even save changes to the hard disk. It shows pictures on the HDD too.

Thanks indeed for telling me to test it. This is cool.

Parted Magic? is that a Debian Sid or what? Slackware or Arch or what? :)
okay I should ask DistroWatch.
http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distri ... artedmagic

haha them say this Pmagic is Based on Independent
But a review says this "This Pmagic 6.6 distro is based on Slackware. "
So most likely 6.7 is based on that one too.

Sounds good. it is independent. That guy even have a special day in USA. Independence Day :)

Guys what on earth is this about edd=off

nooby

#148 Post by nooby »

Haha my googling was not good. Them actually do tell how one should boot frugally here
http://partedmagic.com/doku.php?id=frugal_install
Edit and it worked too. An easier boot code than I used so Pmagic is an iso
that can think for itself. It did not care much about my bad code and PartedMagic
looked around for the relevant files and just booted. Allowing me to be the true noob!

Kudos to the Dev for being that thoughtful allowing user clumsiness.
It even allow one to dl Flash player in the menu!!! Wow that is cool!
Please help me with this thing them try to explain here?

[quote]Starting with PartedMagic 6.2 the search for the pmagic-<version>.sqfs file will begin with the removable devices, unless a device/partition (root=/dev/sdXX), label (label=XXXXXXXX) or partial uuid (uuid=XXXXXX) is stated. Without such a kernel boot parameter a 10 seconds delay will occur.

directory=/boot

Previous versions of this document said to copy the “pmagic

d4p

#149 Post by d4p »

No problem, just change (0xff) to (hd32)

Grub4dos is still the best bootmanager.
It support NTFS, VFAT, Ext2/3 & CDFS.

"Where do them tell how to save changes to NTFS internal hdd?"

Hehe, that is what you need to read or test a lot.
Save change/persistent is confusing:
Partedmagic - in xz module
Tinycore - in tgz
Slitaz - in tux
Ctbankix(ubuntu) - in squash
dynebold - in nest
porteus - dat

persistent (for some reason is Not for me)
Ubuntuis
Knoppix
puppy
?????

fyi,
You can find here some comparison, but it is not really accurate or maybe not up to date.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison ... tributions

nooby

#150 Post by nooby »

I have googled and googled and read on their forum but I fail to get how to set up the saving to a persistent file at boot.

sure I have a zetc.xz file in pmodules. How does one use it for changes like Flash in firefox and the bookmarks?

Colonel Panic

#151 Post by Colonel Panic »

Paul Sherman's recently released an update of Absolute; 13.39. I've installed it because for now I need a functioning word processor which will open Word 2003 documents, as LibreOffice will and Abiword still won't dependably IME (though it will open Word 97 ones), and Absolute's weakness on the multimedia front doesn't bother me for the moment. So far it's working fine but I'm still looking forward to getting some more RAM and installing Mint 11.

nitehawk

#152 Post by nitehawk »

Yeah,...it seems like every OTHER Slackware-based distro has been busy with new releases. Then there's Vector that doesn't seem to be releasing it's version 7, until it becomes totally outdated !
Just regular Slackware has been working for me (with a lot of "tinkering" to get it set up right).....but I really would love to have a smaller slack-based distro that would do what the old Vector 6 standard used to.
I was really proud of Wary 5.1.1 today, though. I have it on my HP Pavilion notebook laptop (because it has the Conexant internal winmodem driver, etc. etc. etc.)..and I was able to play movie DVDs OOTB. Some Slackware (and Salix Linux, and Vector 6 SOHO) apps will run on Wary, too. Pretty neat.

nooby

#153 Post by nooby »

Nitehawk how does you set up Slackware so it boot frugally on
NTFS internal HDD? What grub4dos menu code do you use?

I know how to boot slax variations like Porteus and Pmagic

Colonel Panic

#154 Post by Colonel Panic »

nitehawk wrote:Yeah,...it seems like every OTHER Slackware-based distro has been busy with new releases. Then there's Vector that doesn't seem to be releasing it's version 7, until it becomes totally outdated !
They still haven't got Vector 7 right though; the keymap installer doesn't work and you have to set the keyboard manually once you're in Vector 7.

I've been having an argument with them about this on the Vector forum. I don't think a distro should be released until it's the best it can get, and any flaws which have been revealed in bug testing, fixed or the afflicted software dropped or changed for something else. There are no shortage of distros for people to choose from now if yours doesn't work properly.
nitehawk wrote:Just regular Slackware has been working for me (with a lot of "tinkering" to get it set up right).....but I really would love to have a smaller slack-based distro that would do what the old Vector 6 standard used to.
Yeah, Vector 6 was an all time great. I've got a feeling the Slackware base isn't as solid this time though - MPlayer keeps crashing in Absolute, for example.

I can't boot the Slack 13 DVD on my own machine for some reason, otherwise I'd be tempted with it too.
nitehawk wrote:I was really proud of Wary 5.1.1 today, though. I have it on my HP Pavilion notebook laptop (because it has the Conexant internal winmodem driver, etc. etc. etc.)..and I was able to play movie DVDs OOTB. Some Slackware (and Salix Linux, and Vector 6 SOHO) apps will run on Wary, too. Pretty neat.
Cool. Wary is a good Pup for older computers.
Last edited by Colonel Panic on Thu 06 Oct 2011, 12:33, edited 3 times in total.

nooby

#155 Post by nooby »

So is Vector seen as a real Slackware?
Them got very upset with me for even saying that
Proteus is based on Slackware. Proteus is not based
on Slackware the Slackware people on LQ told me.

so what about Vector? I got the Soho version going on an old
XP machine with help from the Dev naturally. He was very friendly.
Helping me getting a save file for it.
But i failed to get it working on the Netbook maybe due to that one
having nosmp Atom CPU N270

What menu.lst for frugal install of Vector on NTFS?