Other Distros

Puppy related raves and general interest that doesn't fit anywhere else
starhawk

#1171 Post by starhawk »

Quite possibly. Although, I've not played with ClassicPup much. In my experience it's far too slow to be practical for its intended purpose.

Unless it's just meant to work on P3s and P4s like most of the other Pups do just fine already...? ;) I know it barely crawls on a P2 laptop I have... I would *not* want to try it on a P1...

James C

#1172 Post by James C »

Porteus 2.0 release candidate.Using the x86-64 version.KDE,Firefox and a bunch of goodies in about 230 mb.
http://www.porteus.org/

Code: Select all

guest@porteus:~$ uname -r
3.9.4-porteus
guest@porteus:~$ glxgears
Running synchronized to the vertical refresh. The framerate should be
approximately the same as the monitor refresh rate.
4450 frames in 5.0 seconds = 889.942 FPS
4618 frames in 5.0 seconds = 923.428 FPS
4600 frames in 5.0 seconds = 919.881 FPS
4674 frames in 5.0 seconds = 934.618 FPS

Copied to ram,cd ejected and working well. :)
Attachments
Porteus 2.0 rc.jpg
(13.24 KiB) Downloaded 968 times

nooby

#1173 Post by nooby »

What about this one?

Robo Linux

http://www.robolinux.org/

Now you can run all your Windows compatible software sand boxed safely inside Robolinux. You no longer need anti virus software or Microsoft security patches! When you run Windows inside the Robolinux VM without anti virus software slowing it down, it operates much faster. Also when your Windows registry slows down then you can instantly click the "Restore Windows VM" button from our menu options to make Windows run as fast as a fresh new install in seconds!
/quote

So it is a wm ware they are usually rather slow are they not?
Hope somebody test it and tell the result.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

Colonel Panic

#1174 Post by Colonel Panic »

Just installed the release version of Mint 15 Cinnamon, and it's working well; no problems with it so far.
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

johnrpm

#1175 Post by johnrpm »

just installed Linux lite, very nice and everything seems to work, I shall always have a puppy though.

Colonel Panic

#1176 Post by Colonel Panic »

It's a long wait for Solus 2 (I think ikey said before Christmas that he'd had to find a full time job and so didn't have as much time to work on it as he'd like), but I've installed the latest alpha version anyway - 2.0a7. It's a smart looking system and more than adequate except that access to add-on software is a bit "hit and miss" - some of the reason for that though might be because I don't know where and how to access the necessary repositories.
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

Enrique Corbellini

but looks like it's not for free

#1177 Post by Enrique Corbellini »

[quote="nooby"]What about this one?

Robo Linux

I didn't use it with windows apps yet, but it didn't let me install on my machine unless paying few money.
Proving it for some minutes, it doesn't show the card of my phone when connecting it through cable, and doesn't transfer files from the desktop to the puppy disc partition.
On the other hand, it looks pretty well, and has a "what you see is what you get" look, but personally I prefer linux dedicated to free software, cause that's why we developed it.
Attachments
Robolinux screenshot.jpg
(124.94 KiB) Downloaded 318 times

James C

#1178 Post by James C »

Porteus 2.1 released.
http://forum.porteus.org/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=2412
Major additions since our 2.0 release include restructuring our layout to have standalone iso's for five desktop environments (KDE4, RazorQT, Mate, Xfce and LXDE)
Attachments
Porteus 2.1 LXDE -2.jpg
(39.34 KiB) Downloaded 660 times
Porteus 2.1 LXDE.jpg
(28.6 KiB) Downloaded 730 times

bark_bark_bark

#1179 Post by bark_bark_bark »

I am running a 32bit Porteus 2.1 system that uses the XFCE Desktop. I am having major issues with the time (OS side), but that really isn't life-threatening.

I had used a built-in tool to get VirtualBox 4.2.16 installed and running. I have a Arch Linux Vbox set-up with XFCE as the desktop as well.

The only negative real negative outcome of running a virtual machine on a netbook, is that it may overheat a bit and may use more battery power.

I also would like to make a Slack VBox, but I am a bit lazy to hook up a usb dvd rw burner.

IMHO Slackware is a lot better, but Arch has some similarites with Slack that I want to play around with a bit.

johnrpm

#1180 Post by johnrpm »

Well I have been using Linux lite for a few days now,and it really is good, fast and so far, rock solid, I can recommend giving it a try.

rmcellig

#1181 Post by rmcellig »

Hi johnrpm,

I agree. I have been using Linux Lite as my current trilogy of distros. The other two are Crunchbang 11 and Puppy Linux. My wife now uses Linux Lite on the PC I made for her a few years ago. She loves it and so do I.

nooby

Re: but looks like it's not for free

#1182 Post by nooby »

Enrique Corbellini wrote:
nooby wrote:What about this one?

Robo Linux

I didn't use it with windows apps yet, but it didn't let me install on my machine unless paying few money.
Proving it for some minutes, it doesn't show the card of my phone when connecting it through cable, and doesn't transfer files from the desktop to the puppy disc partition.
On the other hand, it looks pretty well, and has a "what you see is what you get" look, but personally I prefer linux dedicated to free software, cause that's why we developed it.
I am sorry had I known them want us to pay then i would not have mention them.

The reason I got curious was that they kind of brag the delay is minimal
which it usally is not on wmare or similar solutions.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

Colonel Panic

#1183 Post by Colonel Panic »

I've just installed Enlightenment 17 in Slackware 14, and they go together very well although the Slack version of Enlightenment has darker themes as standard than Bodhi does for some reason.

Slackware itself is a lot easier to install and set up than it used to be, although you still have to do some things manually such as extract the flash plugin from its tar file and copy it to the mozilla plugins directory.

It's also one of the very few distros which comes with the Window Maker window manager as standard.
Last edited by Colonel Panic on Fri 16 Aug 2013, 22:23, edited 1 time in total.

rmcellig

#1184 Post by rmcellig »

I am going to install slacko 5.6 with the 3.10.5 kernel on my iMac and see how it goes.

Colonel Panic

#1185 Post by Colonel Panic »

Solus was one of my favourite distros last year, so I was eager to see the latest alpha release (number 8 ) of Solus 2 was like. Sadly I have to declare myself disappointed with it at this stage.

It seems very unfinished. The devs are clearly going for a lightweight distro this time round, which is good, and with a new desktop unique to Solus, but the whole thing seemed unready for prime time. I couldn't find any way of installing new packages, there's no announcement of the new alpha release on the Solus website at the time of posting with any usage information, and no installer either.

My advice is to wait for the next one and stick with Puppy in the meantime - either Slacko or Carolina are good enough now to be your sole desktop (if you want them to). Or if you really like Solus, 1.3 (Eveline) is still very usable and can be updated from the Debian repos whenever this is needed.

rmcellig

#1186 Post by rmcellig »

At the moment I have three distros that I use. Linux Lite 1.0.6, Crunchbang 11 and Puppy Linux (various flavors, or should I say pups or breeds :) ).

My main sticking point at the moment is getting GRUB to work after doing a frugal install of Slacko.

James C

#1187 Post by James C »

Colonel Panic wrote:Solus was one of my favourite distros last year, so I was eager to see the latest alpha release (number 8 ) of Solus 2 was like. Sadly I have to declare myself disappointed with it at this stage.

It seems very unfinished. The devs are clearly going for a lightweight distro this time round, which is good, and with a new desktop unique to Solus, but the whole thing seemed unready for prime time. I couldn't find any way of installing new packages, there's no announcement of the new alpha release on the Solus website at the time of posting with any usage information, and no installer either.

My advice is to wait for the next one and stick with Puppy in the meantime - either Slacko or Carolina are good enough now to be your sole desktop (if you want them to). Or if you really like Solus, 1.3 (Eveline) is still very usable and can be updated from the Debian repos whenever this is needed.

Finally got around to trying the latest Solus alpha..... for what little is incuded (pretty stripped down} things seem to be working well.

live@solusos ~ 
$ uname -r
live@solusos ~ 
$ 
To install packages (repository is fairly empty} I had to update the repo by running pisi -ur in the treminal .......to install Geany I ran pisi -it geany as root of course. Pisi is a very capable package manager , ported from Pardus , but it takes a minute to learn the correct commands. I recommend starting with pisi help.

Colonel Panic

#1188 Post by Colonel Panic »

James C wrote:
Colonel Panic wrote:Solus was one of my favourite distros last year, so I was eager to see the latest alpha release (number 8 ) of Solus 2 was like. Sadly I have to declare myself disappointed with it at this stage.

Finally got around to trying the latest Solus alpha..... for what little is incuded (pretty stripped down} things seem to be working well.

live@solusos ~ 
$ uname -r
live@solusos ~ 
$ 
To install packages (repository is fairly empty} I had to update the repo by running pisi -ur in the treminal .......to install Geany I ran pisi -it geany as root of course. Pisi is a very capable package manager , ported from Pardus , but it takes a minute to learn the correct commands. I recommend starting with pisi help.
Thanks for the tip, I'll give it another go.

Colonel Panic

#1189 Post by Colonel Panic »

Another good one: ZevenOS 3.2 Neptune. A Debian stable-based distro with the KDE desktop as standard.

I think it's 64-bit only though so not suitable for older computers.

toowoombalinux

#1190 Post by toowoombalinux »

Just installed SolusOS 1.3 (not the developing 2 series) - seems a nice desktop and hopefully can get it as productive as my Ubuntu desktop ....then i can ditch Ubuntu.

btw. I'm also a fanatic Puppian - Lupu + Puppy 3.01 (with glibc + gtk2+ upgrade)

Cheers
Martin