Other Distros

Puppy related raves and general interest that doesn't fit anywhere else
Lobster
Official Crustacean

Other Distros

#1 Post by Lobster »

The other day I wanted to use Openshot 1.3
Icepup which I have been using lately does not have the ATI driver
and well I just did not feel like fiddling with Lucid which is not ideal on my hardware. So what to do?

I downloaded v5 of AVlinux. It worked as a live CD. Openshot worked OK and I created the video and uploaded to youtube.
http://www.bandshed.net/AVLinux.html

Then I was intrigued by a Linux for 2 year olds and older, called Doudou. I am probably not smart enough to use it but the average 5 year old will be painting, playing poker and blackjack and painting masterpieces in tuxpaint.
This is very different.
http://www.doudoulinux.org/web/english/index.html

At the moment I am in Pinguy which is an Ubuntu optimised for beginners.
Not really sure that is correct as it has a dockbar with a terminal, I used the terminal with the command 'killall conky' as I can never work out how to shut conky down . . .
I managed to install Skype without much trouble.
Pinguy has 32bit and 64bit, so I am able to run on something optimised for my 64bit processor.
http://pinguyos.com/

Have you tried a new OS or distro lately? Maybe on a tablet or phone?
Good? Bad? How did you get on? Anything Puppy could make use of?
Last edited by Lobster on Sat 18 Jun 2011, 19:26, edited 1 time in total.
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

nooby

#2 Post by nooby »

If them boot in frugal install then I would test them and if them don't then I obviously will not spend time with them.

But I want to be flexible so if them do frugal iso boot even if them fail frugal install then I can rethink to test them. I did that with Peppermint and with Lubuntu and Ubuntu too.

But frugal install I did test Porteus and that one was rather okay but I don't use it.

But the one that I may use in the future maybe is TinyCore now when them have full NTFS support both read and write.

But them don't like noobs like me on their forum so that is an obstacle to me.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

sc0ttman

#3 Post by sc0ttman »

I tried SliTaz and TinyCore

TinyCore has a really nice PPM, can't remember what they call it, but its good..
It uses loads of FLTK, which is feature packed and lightweight

SliTaz is really polished, really nice, also has great repos, and the slitaz packages tend to be groups of packages (proto or pseudo packages, I think? .. cant remember) .. But it makes hunting for libs almost unneeded, as long as you stick to the official packages..

Neither one seems as simple to install as Puppy, and obviously puppy comes in so many flavours that you can always pick one that suits you best.

I still prefer Puppy, but both of those above are nice as well, and have their own niceties which puppy could learn a little from.
[b][url=https://bit.ly/2KjtxoD]Pkg[/url], [url=https://bit.ly/2U6dzxV]mdsh[/url], [url=https://bit.ly/2G49OE8]Woofy[/url], [url=http://goo.gl/bzBU1]Akita[/url], [url=http://goo.gl/SO5ug]VLC-GTK[/url], [url=https://tiny.cc/c2hnfz]Search[/url][/b]

majorfoo

#4 Post by majorfoo »

I have tried a number of distros such as

Tiny Core - Slitaz - Ubuntu-10 graypup - snow puppy - spup - dpup485 - all of the luci-lupu series - lucid 511 - lucid 520 - lucid 525 to name a few

My favorites at present are Lucid 525 and Snow Puppy 020. Both have been very stable for me. I have added several additional items and they work well in each distro.

To me, puppy is very easy to use. The ppm allows me to add what interests me.

My thanks to Barry and all the developers who make Puppy distros.
I am a believer. No more windows for me.

bugman

#5 Post by bugman »

currently dual-booting debian [for easy apache/php/mysql setup] and win xp [for turbolister, there is no functional linux equivalent]

of course to get dual boot working had to kill debian's grub 2 and install old grub with puppy

in fact any time there's any sort of problem i have to fix it with puppy

am considering in the near future cutting back on both web design and ebay - if that happens going back to puppy as my main os

[sudo my lily-white ass]

davec51

A number of Distros

#6 Post by davec51 »

Right now on my old P4 box I have Zenwalk and Ubuntu 11.04 installed on partitions, and Puppy 525 as well as a few other Pups on Frugals on another partition. Puppy is best for all purposes, mainly because of the annoyance of getting messages like "You are not authorized to do this" on the others. My BIOS is broken to the extent that I can't boot from a live CD, so I can only test others now if I can do a frugal install. Only Puppy, so far, installs frugally with no trouble.
I'm acquiring another old computer next week, and Puppy will be my first installation.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#7 Post by Lobster »

davec51
I am familiar with Ubuntu but have not tried zenwalk in a while. Which of the 3 (including Puppy) do you spend most time with? Zenwalk I always felt elegant and simple . . .
Then I wanted to do something a little adventuresome and could not find a program . . . ended up in Puppy again . . .
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

DPUP5520

#8 Post by DPUP5520 »

Zorin OS is a nice Ubuntu based distro that I use mainly as a Media server to stream music and videos from one of my computers to my playstation for watching/listening to on my tv using ps3mediaserver, it has some problems with certain programs from the Ubuntu repos (skype sucks on it) but otherwise looks and runs great.
[url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69651][b][i]PupRescue 2.5[/i][/b][/url]
[url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=72178][b][i]Puppy Crypt 528[/i][/b][/url]

davec51

Zenwalk, Ubuntu, and Puppy

#9 Post by davec51 »

Lobster. I spend by far (maybe more than 80%) of my time with Puppy. Mainly I have no trouble getting files on my wired network, manipulating/deleting them, and saving them. The other distros keep insisting that I log in as root to do much of that. I like Ubuntus wallpapers and complex looks; otherwise, Puppy is better for me all around.

myke

My Experiment

#10 Post by myke »

I embarked last week on an experiment involving different Linux distros each having its own package management scheme.

Some background: while there is an appearance of a vast multitude of Linux distributions (Distrowatch registers roughly 300 active distros), when you get down to the nitty gritty of how many really different distros there are, there are not too many.

So, in addition to the numerous Puppies (about 15 or so) I play with, I decided to look at distributions with different ways of managing and developing application packages.

I installed:

Pinguy 11.04 - based on (Debian, Ubuntu and) Mint (deb/apt-get),
Fusion 14 - based on Fedora 14 (rpm/yum),
Knoppix - based on Debian (deb/apt-get),
CLDG (Calculate Linux Desktop Gnome) 11.3 - based on Gentoo (source portage/emerge),
blackPanther - based on Msndriva (rpm/urpmi),
Petite Linux - based on openSUSE (rpm/zypper),
Porteus - based on Slackware (modules/lzm) - frugal install with need to copy installed packages before shutting down into save file for permanency,
CTKArch - based on Arch (pacman).

Others I am looking at are Mageia (Mandriva-based) and Toorox (Gentoo-based).

So far, I liked Pinguy 10.10 but am disappointed with Pinguy 11.04 - can't get sound from mic for Skype. I like CLDG very much except wouldn't compile wine, like Porteus but I haven't figure out how to install modules. Need to explore Petite Linux and CTKArch more.

myke
AA1 D255E-keucr slacko 5.3;luci;mijnpup; tw-os; with:Emacs,gawk,noteboxmismanager,treesheets, freeplane, libreoffice, tkoutline, Sigil, calibre, calendar. magic&Noteliner(wine), kamas (DOS)

aarf

#11 Post by aarf »

bugman wrote:currently dual-booting debian [for easy apache/php/mysql setup] ....

of course to get dual boot working had to kill debian's grub 2 and install old grub with puppy
[sudo my lily-white ass]
curious: installing xampp [apache/php/mysql setup] in lupu is easier than falling of a slippery log.
however i want to try something in debian so if you have a grub and or grub2 menu.lst entry can you post it/them here please. also which debian?.
me i try fedora latest, mint latest,
never thought i would miss mtpaint until i tried those live and wanted to post forum screenshots.
old knoppix, arch recent. xandros natively installed.
. magia havent got a boot yet.
various puppies.
what use 98% of the time: puppeee4.4rc2

01micko

#12 Post by 01micko »

dd works aarf to transfer the mageia iso directly to a usb flash drive. Mageia resides on my eee-701sd ssd now replacing kubuntu-1010.

As far as any other distro goes they are all crap (when it comes to the boot loader) at detecting anything apart from themselves and windows. Puppy is a must use in this situation unless you want to fart around with grub2 or lilo. :roll:
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

bugman

#13 Post by bugman »

aarf wrote:curious: installing xampp [apache/php/mysql setup] in lupu is easier than falling of a slippery log.
i'm on dialup and currently hating downloading new puppies, other apps, anything - bought debian cheap [with apache et al] on discs
aarf wrote:however i want to try something in debian so if you have a grub and or grub2 menu.lst entry can you post it/them here please. also which debian?.
squeeze? [why can't they just say six?] and here ya go for old grub:

Code: Select all

title Debian Linux 6.0 (on /dev/sdb1)
  root (hd0,1)
  kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.32-5-686 root=/dev/sdb1
  initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.32-5-686
new grub utterly defeats me, it's worse than new coke [or crack] and i have no idea how and where such a thing would be

myke

Booting

#14 Post by myke »

What I do is install the distro and then use a USB flash drive to boot up puppy and create a grub menu via grub4dos, which generates the menu.lst automatically and is different from legacy grub and grub2.

If for some reason the new distro won't boot up I go in the partition and look at what it created as either menu.lst, grub.cfg or whatever and copy the entry created by the distro into the menu.lst that grub4dos created. So far it has worked well.

I agree that most distros think they live in a world where they are the only Linux co-existing with Windows. Fedora is the worst. Ubuntu actually is the best, provided you run update-grub after installing a new distro. (Ubuntu though does not recognize frugal installs, which means it is useless for puppies).

myke
AA1 D255E-keucr slacko 5.3;luci;mijnpup; tw-os; with:Emacs,gawk,noteboxmismanager,treesheets, freeplane, libreoffice, tkoutline, Sigil, calibre, calendar. magic&Noteliner(wine), kamas (DOS)

aarf

#15 Post by aarf »

thanks bugman will give it a shot.
i'm on dialup
have you look into a 3G phone connection to your computers?

aarf

#16 Post by aarf »

@ myke only just recently looked into grub2. one day grub4dos will get its turn, sound as if i should make more of an effort there though. grub2 is quite cantankerous when trying other distros and things
Last edited by aarf on Sun 19 Jun 2011, 12:33, edited 1 time in total.

tubeguy

Re: Other Distros

#17 Post by tubeguy »

Lobster wrote:Have you tried a new OS or distro lately? Maybe on a tablet or phone?
Good? Bad? How did you get on? Anything Puppy could make use of?
I've been fighting with Blackberry OS lately, have to do periodic battery pulls, maybe every 2 or 3 weeks.

Worked on Windows 7 for a friend of mine, no biggie except for all the questions while I was doing it. I was learning as I went and the guy thought I already knew all about it and should be able to answer any question right off the top of my head, so I kind of snarkily said "Dude I use Puppy Linux, I'm figuring this shit out as I go here." No questions about Puppy followed. After setting it up for large text and a left-hand mouse I installed a printer and showed him how to use Windows Media Player, then how to copy mp3s from his phone to the desktop. Interesting that, had to mount the drive on the phone first before Windows could see it (Android).

Outside of work it's been spup 100 on the laptop, very stable and responsive. Lupu is on the desktop, still surprises me how freaking fast it is on modern hardware (few years old HP micro-ATX).

I'm done distro hopping, I just want to use my computers, Puppy rocks.
Attachments
tubetop061911.jpg
spup 100, IceWM, Gkrellm, Aqualung
(61.11 KiB) Downloaded 2566 times
[b]Tahr Pup 6 on desktop, Lucid 3HD on lappie[/b]

aarf

#18 Post by aarf »

01micko wrote:dd works aarf to transfer the mageia iso directly to a usb flash drive. Mageia resides on my eee-701sd ssd now replacing kubuntu-1010.

As far as any other distro goes they are all crap (when it comes to the boot loader) at detecting anything apart from themselves and windows. Puppy is a must use in this situation unless you want to fart around with grub2 or lilo. :roll:
@micko yes but i have no flash drives that i want to dd at present.. not brave enough to try to dd onto a partition. havent finished looking at the stuff/distros i have on my array of sdcards and flashdrives. but one day.... have tried and failed mageia with grub2

aarf

#19 Post by aarf »

I use my phone with opera mini 6 for a good deal of my internet surfing. Perhaps 50%.

nitehawk

#20 Post by nitehawk »

I've used Debian for quite awhile...but am trying Mandriva just now (and soon Mageia). I'm also on dialup,...so have to get the CDs (or DVDs) by "snail-mail".
I'm running Slackware 13.37 on several of my older computers (and always a Puppy). Wary is going to be a "must" for me for quite a long time to come. Going to get Vector Linux 7 when it gets out,....(and then may discard Slackware.)
..I don't dooooo sudoooooo.