SlickPup 5.2.5 - Updated June-25-11

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Dave_B

#21 Post by Dave_B »

I removed the built in version of Thunar, using the "Remove Built-in Packages" in the Setup menu, and then re-installed the only version of Thunar listed in the package manager - the re-install of Thunar has fixed the image file issue I was having. Might be a clue in there somewhere.
I'm liking Thunar and I'll keep it on the desktop.
As far as the PSM request to unload media before shutting down, I'm getting used to answering the question and haven't had the batteries die waiting for a response in quite a while.
Thanks for all the help,
Dave

don922

Can't Boot

#22 Post by don922 »

Data from Hardinfo:
Processor : AMD Sempron 145 Processor
Memory : 1814MB (92MB used)
Operating System : Puppy Linux 0.43
User Name : root
Date/Time : Fri 24 Jun 2011 04:29:32 PM GMT-7
-Display-
Resolution : 1280x1024 pixels
-----------------------------------------------------
Menulist

Code: Select all

title SlickPup
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
kernel /slickpup/vmlinuz pmedia=satahd psubdir=slickpup nosmp
initrd /slickpup/initrd.gz
Near the end of the boot process I get the following error message:
Error Message wrote:Input Not Supported
This message looks like a message from the monitor rather than the system.
The monitor is an Acer LCD, Model S221HQL, Version S221HQLBD.

I have the same problem with Puppy525.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 736#537736

Both SlickPup and Puppy525 are frugal installations.

Any help that you can give me will be really appreciated. I hope that I can get this fixed; I have not run into any problems with either this computer of monitor both of which are less than a year old.
[color=green][i]Don -- Thailand[/i][/color]
[url=http://www.puppylinux.com][img]http://tinypic.com/4e0tojl.jpg[/img][/url]

Tman

#23 Post by Tman »

Hi don922,

I'm no expert on this, but the code for the grub4dos menus varies amoung different computers. The code below is a partial "menu.lst" from one of my test computers.

title SlickPup 5.2.5-b2
  find --set-root --ignore-floppies --ignore-cd /slick/initrd.gz
  kernel /slick/vmlinuz   psubdir=slick pmedia=atahd pfix=fsck
  initrd /slick/initrd.gz
My hard-drive is a Sata drive, but the code "pmedia=atahd" works fine. Also I don't no what "nosmp" is for..maybe that option is what is not supported.
I recommend you use "pfix=fsck" instead; this option searches for saved files in the sub-folder that you specify..in this case, it would be the "slick" folder.

If all else fails, burn Slickpup to a CD or better yet, a re-writable disc. Once the Slickpup live-cd is loaded, run frugalinstaller. When it asks if you want to install grub4dos, choose "yes". After that, grub4dos should detect the proper settings needed for your computer, which you might wish to backup for future use.
Last edited by Tman on Sat 25 Jun 2011, 19:10, edited 1 time in total.

Tman

#24 Post by Tman »

I have updated both Editions of Slickpup,
Downloads are on the 1st post and info is on the 2nd post. The patch will upgrade previous versions to the ones released today. The only thing the patch doesn't do is change the settings for firefox to ask you to make it the default browser when you load it for the first time.
Also, the patch will be deleted once I feel that it has become obsolete. I have a thing about trying to be efficient with storage space..even if that space isn't mine. :shock:

lithpr

#25 Post by lithpr »

Soooo very cool Tman, playing with it all day... and this without the new patch!

[EDIT]
We'll, after more careful exploration, I'm leaning back toward the Atilla side of things.

The grldr stuff is pretty darn cool, Tman. Whether I rip this off you directly, or explore a similar but different option is still up in the air (grub2?), as I have yet to figure out exactly the extent of the potential functionality this could afford, but my spider-sense is telling me that this is a pretty significant innovation.

I had explored and rejected many of the apps you've listed in the first page, for this, that, or another reason... there is so much there, but much of it doesn't work precisely how I would have hoped. A couple of things I included but didn't put in the menu system, because it seems to me they are best used as subtle context-menu options for a "power-user" (ugh, I hate that term).

Then I ran into your /usr/local/apps dir. Quite the collection of Rox-Apps you have there, sir. I really can't imagine how I can avoid pillaging liberally here and gorging on the spoils. I have a couple other similar apps in mind, which hopefully could be of some use to you.

EDIT2: ^^^^^ Ahh, I see that some of this is a result of Right-click-4.9.pet. Oh Thank God! I really didn't want to highjack a bunch of SlickPup's "distinctives" (in the immortal words of Jay-Z: "I'm not a biter, I'm a writer for myself and others"). I never looked at this pet, as the Openbox menu is launched via a right-click, and I just assumed this was a window-manager level thing. Very nice find.

Although I have done some work with creating custom context menu entries (for setting images as wallpaper, for instance) I never really cottoned on to the idea that context menu's are a really an important design principle for maintaining (and increasing) the sick out-of-the-box functionally that Puppy provides while simplifying the dizzying array of externalized apps in the default menu. Even after efiguy was unable to easily locate ISOMaster, and I put making a context menu for that app for .isos on my agenda, I really didn't grok that this is probably a very good general approach for handling any apps that don't themselves create a novel context for content (ie, abiword or a web-browser).
________

Probably most significantly of all is getting to really take a serious look at the code for the SFS handling apps. There's gold in them hills- i can feel it in my bones.

Thanks again (what, 3rd, 4th time?) for the tremendous achievement that is Slickpup. It's... uh... a pretty slick pup!

Edit 2: If this is spam in your thread, let me know and i'll trim it down to a big thumbs up.[/i]
Last edited by lithpr on Sun 26 Jun 2011, 14:47, edited 4 times in total.

Tman

#26 Post by Tman »

:shock: :lol: ..LOL! Hilarious pic, lithpr.

Tman

#27 Post by Tman »

EDIT: Removed Slickpup Premium Edition -- proprietary drivers need to be downloaded separately.
Last edited by Tman on Sat 25 Feb 2012, 19:59, edited 4 times in total.

don922

Profile not working

#28 Post by don922 »

I am running Slickpup Firefox Edition of June 25.

The following line in /etc/profile is not working. The file /etc/profile.local is not found or activated at boot.

#v1.0.5
#personal customisation file...
[ -r /etc/profile.local ] && . /etc/profile.local
However, if I enter

[ -r /etc/profile.local ] && . /etc/profile.local
as a command in the console, profile.local is turned on.
[color=green][i]Don -- Thailand[/i][/color]
[url=http://www.puppylinux.com][img]http://tinypic.com/4e0tojl.jpg[/img][/url]

Tman

#29 Post by Tman »

Thanks don922 for the feedback,

I will see if I can find a solution to the problem for future releases...

oligin10

Where is premium edition?

#30 Post by oligin10 »

Hi Tman, I cannot seem to find the premium edition. Could you point me in the right direction? Thanks, Rob

gcmartin

Re: About Slickpup

#31 Post by gcmartin »

On Sun Jun 12, 2011, Tman wrote:Slickpup is meant for newer computers and is basically the Lucid 5.2.5-based version ... .
Thanks Tman for this statement. All distro makers should state something along these lines when releasing their distros. It makes it a little easier for the community to understand, review, and decide as they select the Puppy of Choice.

I have 2 little questions (Y/N):
  1. Is the PUP525 "Update" included with this edition?
  2. Is this edition built to take advantage of ALL RAM found on the PC? (such as what PEMASU has done with his ICE and Polar contributions)
Thanks for your contribution.

elraven

slickpup

#32 Post by elraven »

I love the clear look of the terminal window , but i have a problem. It takes up the entire screen . Is there a way to re size it ? I've tried right clicking at the very top but the resize option is not present . Any help is welcome .
elraven :D

elraven

slickpup525

#33 Post by elraven »

never mind I found an answer . I changed the direction of the desktop icon for terminal from lxterminal to urxvt and solved my problem .
Thank you....
elraven :D

Tman

#34 Post by Tman »

Sorry for the slow response time folks; I've been kinda preoccupied with other stuff lately.

The Premium Edition is no longer availiable.

gcmartin,
I have installed the lucid update in Slickpup, but I do not believe that it will support all of your 4GB of ram. I can't be sure though, because my fastest computer has only 2GB.

elraven,
If you would like to make the LXTerminal window smaller, you need to change the size of the font. Use a text editor to open up "/root/.config/lxterminal/lxterminal.conf. Just change the digits in the second line to a smalller value. My screen size is 1440 x 900, so I made the fonts big for better visability.
Last edited by Tman on Sat 25 Feb 2012, 18:54, edited 2 times in total.

Tman

#35 Post by Tman »

lithpr wrote: ...I really didn't want to highjack a bunch of SlickPup's "distinctives" (in the immortal words of Jay-Z: "I'm not a biter, I'm a writer for myself and others")...
lithpr,
You or any other pup developer may take some or even all of my work, and do whatever you like with it. Under the opensource agreement, you do not need my permission...but you have my blessing as well. If my ideas are thought to be useful, then by all means, implement them into your puplet. Ideas for Slickpup were not all original. My main focus for making Solidpup/Slickpup, (other than for my own use) was simply to make a good looking general-purpose puplet with a decent set of software. I think I have acheived that. If you want a see what apps might be good for rexbang, I recommend taking a look at snowpuppy (now midnight-sun pup). Pemasu's got a huge selection for it. The only downside is that the iso is kinda big...but not that big a deal for more modern computers with 1GB of RAM or above. If you would like some apps from Slickpup, but can't seem to find them, just PM me and I will send you the link or upload it for you.

IMHO, Macpup and Rexbang are amoung 2 of the best general-purpose puplets out there, while Lighthouse Pup and Pemasu's puplets are more specialized and go beyond what I consider to be general-purpose. I support them all.

gcmartin

Re: ...

#36 Post by gcmartin »

Tman wrote: ... I have installed the lucid update in Slickpup, but I do not believe that it will support all of your 4GB of ram. I can't be sure ...
Thanks @TMan

The "all RAM" (as I call them) PUPs use Pemasu's PAE kernels. There is NO performance downside that I am aware of in using those kernels on PCs 512MB+. Some users may find that the extra 10-15MB bump in smaller PCs could pose a hardship. See ICEPUP and PolarPUP for the latest kernels for an all-RAM distro.

Hope this helps. Again, thanks for the update.

Tman

#37 Post by Tman »

Thank you gcmartin,

I will try the kernel-swap method (mentioned in the rexbang thread) at a later time and see if I get my pups to detect more ram.

Dave_B

#38 Post by Dave_B »

I just found and tried Slickpup 525 Premium on my newest old laptop (HP/Compaq nc6400), and I'm impressed. Good work! The apps you've included match my needs better than any other Puppy I've tried right out of the box - so far. I do spend a bit of time tweaking to adjust the UI to my tastes, but it's usually pretty easy to figure out.
I'm hoping for a Slickpup 526 Premium one day...

Dave

Tman

#39 Post by Tman »

Dave_B,

Glad you like the premium edition. It is also my favoured version of Slickpup. I don't really use the other versions anymore.

mill0001

#40 Post by mill0001 »

Hi Tman, Here's my version of a slicked up Slickpup. Lovin it. Keep up the good work. From a programming challenged puppian, a big Thank You!
Attachments
SlickShot.jpg
(65.03 KiB) Downloaded 379 times