XFCE/LXDE/MATE Desktops for ArchPup 13.2/13.2.1

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
stifiling

XFCE/LXDE/MATE Desktops for ArchPup 13.2/13.2.1

#1 Post by stifiling »

This is the XFCE desktop environment, sfs file, to be used with the new ArchPup system. It's to be used in place of adrv-openbox_132.sfs (hence the name adrv-xfce_132.sfs) if you happen to prefer XFCE over Openbox. You'd simply rename, delete, or move adrv-openbox_132.sfs to a backup directory, and put the adrv-xfce_132.sfs in it's place.

The XFCE sfs has:
Wicd Network Manager
XFCE Mixer
Udisks2 Volume Monitor
XFCE Terminal
Thunar 1.6.1
Mousepad

Download:
adrv-xfce_132.sfs 68MB
md5sum = 9b104713b094cdf111db4cc31c9f0f8f

XFCE 4.10

2/11/13
- Fixed 777 file and directory permissions
XFCE changes:
- removed Internet submenu. Network only.
- added Mousepad

2/8/13
XFCE bugs fixed and changes:
- ??X server crash when panels on autohide mode??
- Thunar downgraded from 1.6.2 to 1.6.1, Eject buttons on mounted internal drives
- Wicd dbus problem after reboot
- removed pnmixer, default is xfce4-mixer
- added mavrothal's filemnt script to mount image files
- added freememapplet_tray

The LXDE sfs has:
Wicd Network Manager
Retrovol
Udisks2 Volume Monitor
LXTerminal
PCManFM
Leafpad
LXTask Manager

Download:
adrv-lxde_132.sfs 49MB
md5sum = fc630080be970762a2a659638b6c575e

LXDE

The MATE sfs has:
Wicd Network Manager
MATE Volume Control
Udisks2 Volume Monitor
MATE Terminal
Caja File Manager
Pluma Text Editor
MATE System Monitor

Download:
adrv-mate_132.sfs 119MB
md5sum = c9f6d640223f3a4203c13c9b6bd4aadd

MATE

Here's a lightweight version of XFCE for ArchPup. Primarily for testing/fun. The icon set is pulled out of Gray's PreciseNop and may cause file conflicts when install packages. If you want to test around with this version, and run into conflicts with icons when installing from pacman...install the package like this:

Code: Select all

pacman -Sf packagename
The bigger one above is the stable version.

The lightweight XFCE sfs has:
Frisbee Network Manager
Retrovol
Pup Volume Monitor
XFCE Terminal
Thunar 1.6.1
Mousepad

Download:
adrv-lightxfce_132.sfs 31MB
md5sum = 2438b1320f2ff79ed52f5975862cd181

Lightweight XFCE 4.10

Known Bug
- Frisbee tray applet shows disconnected status icon after restarting X
Last edited by stifiling on Sun 17 Feb 2013, 15:05, edited 20 times in total.

darkcity

#2 Post by darkcity »

Looks good. Hope Archpup dev can continue. Been checking the thread but not much time to test at mo 8)

withoutpity

#3 Post by withoutpity »

Thanks a lot, maybe XFCE is the best desktop I think.
Such a good job and I just can not resist it!

withoutpity

#4 Post by withoutpity »

Hi stifiling, I've tried adrv-xfce_132.sfs file by unsquashfs it and copy all files to Root after using openbox as windowsmanager.
Something about it :
1 Thunar 1.6.2 do not show eject button on those internal hard disk partitions while Thunar 1.6.1 can.
2 And adrv-xfce_132.sfs is somehow too large one on size. Maybe can separate adrv-xfce_132.sfs into 2 files. One xfce4_core.sfs for only xfce/policy/upower/pm/udisks2 and xfce4_applications.sfs for other applications.
Only some suggestions, you've already did so many great works. Thank you.

rameshiyer

Wired LAN setup in XFACE

#5 Post by rameshiyer »

Dear Sir

After XFACE desktop, now I am able to setup eth0 (wired LAN ) with static IP. Thank you very much.

Earlier I tried to setup eth0 with Static IP in P-Wireless setup, it is working. However after reboot, I have to setup again. Any other method available to setup Wired Lan without Xface desktop.

stifiling

#6 Post by stifiling »

thanks for the compliments as well as feedback.
withoutpity wrote:Hi stifiling, I've tried adrv-xfce_132.sfs file by unsquashfs it and copy all files to Root after using openbox as windowsmanager.
Something about it :
1 Thunar 1.6.2 do not show eject button on those internal hard disk partitions while Thunar 1.6.1 can.
2 And adrv-xfce_132.sfs is somehow too large one on size. Maybe can separate adrv-xfce_132.sfs into 2 files. One xfce4_core.sfs for only xfce/policy/upower/pm/udisks2 and xfce4_applications.sfs for other applications.
Only some suggestions, you've already did so many great works. Thank you.
i'm wondering if unsquashing the sfs and using it "scatter mode" so to speak, is creating some type of negative side effect. Although it shouldnt. With thunar 1.6.2 though, from my end...the eject buttons are appearing. if u'd like to use openbox as the window manager rather than xfwm4...you can install xfce separately using pacman, and mix and match it however u like.

This is pretty much the core xfce installation. xfce though doesn't come with a network manager, so to have the sfs work out the box, one needed to be added. i decided to choose wicd because i've had 0 problems with it. I can't say the same for pwireless2 or Frisbee. also, pnmixer so the volume can be controlled, out the box, from the notification area. Xfce has xfce4-mixer panel plugin, but i remember it depending on gstreamer.

if i were to split the xfce.sfs into 2, it wouldn't be a working desktop out the box.

So when using it as an adrv, rather than unsquashing it and copying the contents....it's not loading because it's too big??
rameshiyer wrote:Dear Sir

After XFACE desktop, now I am able to setup eth0 (wired LAN ) with static IP. Thank you very much.

Earlier I tried to setup eth0 with Static IP in P-Wireless setup, it is working. However after reboot, I have to setup again. Any other method available to setup Wired Lan without Xface desktop.
i was told that pwireless2 was an abandoned project by jemimah and replaced by Frisbee. Frisbee works just fine and it's my favorite network manager for puppy, but does it handle static ip's? It's not a hurdle i've ever had to tackle, so can't say if pwireless2, or Frisbee has an easy way of doing it. as we can see though wicd is taking care of it just fine and also easily. So if i were you, and you prefer the adrv-openbox sfs, you can install wicd and use it for the network manager along with the default adrv-openbox_132.sfs.

wicd will add some mbs to your installation. if you want to keep it minimal and continue to use pwireless2, only thing i can think that would make it work is to write a script that sets your static ip to eth0, and let that script autostart with your archpup system.

rameshiyer

archpupy

#7 Post by rameshiyer »

Now I am getting Dbus error while booting. ( Both PC in office as well Home)
In my home computer, I installed Mobile Partner for 3/2G modem. It's detected everything and able to send SMS also. After connecting the mobile partner, it shows "connecting" for endlessly. Not existing after connection . ( in Precise &, Slack etc, it exists after connection). I thought It was not connected. However, while trying firefox. It connected and able to browse the internet !!!. Is it due to Dbus problem ?. (wicd problem). I don't know. You may also note that Desktop icon for mobile partner is automatically created in the desktop. Only problem, no sign of connection in mobile partner. Not showing any data flow, speed details etc. while browsing the internet. I have not tried MP in Open box, I will try today night.

rg66

#8 Post by rg66 »

Thanks for this stifiling, XFCE is the best!

One issue I've come across so far is selecting "Automatically show and hide panel" will crash X and then try and restart it in what seems like an endless loop.

Other than that, so far so good. Nice one!
X-slacko-5b1 - X-tahr-2.0 - X-precise-2.4
[url=http://smokey01.com/rg66/]X-series repo[/url]

mavrothal

#9 Post by mavrothal »

Nice going stifiling :D
You may want to provide the md5sum in the first post so people will know they have a downloaded a good copy.
You may also want to suggest to start with pfix=ram and create a new savefile or move their original savefile, as there are/could be some little issues/differences
Finally you want to point out that although will run on 512MB RAM (with swap) 1GB RAM is recommended and that it will run only in HD/USB frugal installs (ie not when booting from the CD/ISO - you never know what ppl may try :lol: )
BTW, Frisbee does handle ethN and static IPs :wink:
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

stifiling

#10 Post by stifiling »

rg66 wrote:Thanks for this stifiling, XFCE is the best!

One issue I've come across so far is selecting "Automatically show and hide panel" will crash X and then try and restart it in what seems like an endless loop.

Other than that, so far so good. Nice one!
rg66, the king of Carolina. it's nice to see you over here in this neck of the woods buddy and hope u stick around for a lil while. i'll take a look at that panel glitch and see if i can reproduce it. i hadn't even tested that.
mavrothal wrote:Nice going stifiling :D
You may want to provide the md5sum in the first post so people will know they have a downloaded a good copy.
You may also want to suggest to start with pfix=ram and create a new savefile or move their original savefile, as there are/could be some little issues/differences
Finally you want to point out that although will run on 512MB RAM (with swap) 1GB RAM is recommended and that it will run only in HD/USB frugal installs (ie not when booting from the CD/ISO - you never know what ppl may try :lol: )
BTW, Frisbee does handle ethN and static IPs :wink:
Alright i'll edit the first post. i'm going to redo the xfce.sfs and put the new filemnt script in. i tried using frisbee instead of wicd, but frisbee was only 'mostly' working. like when i'd refresh the list of available networks, it's usually about 8, but on frisbee on the second refresh, only like 2 would show up....2 neighbors, mines wasn't one. frisbee also isn't blinking with network activity, it's staying solid white.

Something else with Frisbee, based on my experiences with it, there's been a cpl times where 'something happened' and i had to use dougal's network script (net-setup.sh) to get back connected.

another thing is dhcpcd, wpa_cli, and wpa_passphrase already exists in the main.sfs. so in order to prevent duplicates those binaries would need to be squashed out and replaced by the binaries that work with frisbee.

wicd isn't the smallest network manager in the world, but i've had 100% success rate with it. i feel a few extra mbs is worth it, to eliminate the risk of a possible future headache.

Does the adrv run in ram? 1 gb recommended is MASSIVE. how can i bump that down to 512 recommended, which fits the puppy family a lot better?
Last edited by stifiling on Tue 05 Feb 2013, 12:45, edited 1 time in total.

Scooby

#11 Post by Scooby »

Good job

I want to try it
mavrothal wrote: that it will run only in HD/USB frugal installs (ie not when booting from the CD/ISO - you never know what ppl may try :lol: )
Why not when booting from ISO?

stifiling

#12 Post by stifiling »

Scooby wrote:Why not when booting from ISO?
try it out Scooby, let me know your thoughts. but i think mavrothal's meaning the default ISO with adrv-openbox_132.sfs on it. I'm gonna upload it in ISO layout with xfce.sfs, to have it working out the box from cd.

mavrothal

#13 Post by mavrothal »

stifiling wrote: Does the adrv run in ram? 1 gb recommended is MASSIVE. how can i bump that down to 512 recommended, which fits the puppy family a lot better?
adrv and ydrv will run in RAM if available.

I tried some tests with my VM changing the settings from 1 CPU/256MB RAM-2 CPUs/1 GB. At "1 CPU/512MB" does load in RAM but is sluggish and is already using swap the moment you get to Desktop.
So will run fine at 512MB but will not zoom through and you will keep hearing your HD swapping.
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

withoutpity

#14 Post by withoutpity »

stifiling wrote:thanks for the compliments as well as feedback.

i'm wondering if unsquashing the sfs and using it "scatter mode" so to speak, is creating some type of negative side effect. Although it shouldnt. With thunar 1.6.2 though, from my end...the eject buttons are appearing. if u'd like to use openbox as the window manager rather than xfwm4...you can install xfce separately using pacman, and mix and match it however u like.

So when using it as an adrv, rather than unsquashing it and copying the contents....it's not loading because it's too big??
I want to use xfce4-panel/xfwm4 with spacefm, so I mixed them up. :oops:
As thunar eject buttons, 1.6.2 can show them on removable devices, while 1.6.1 show them on all partitions including internal hard disk partions. I don't know why, maybe thunar's developers have their consideration about it.
And thank you for bringing XFCE to Apup for us again.
Attachments
20130206083235.png
thunar1.6.1
(177.75 KiB) Downloaded 5731 times

stifiling

#15 Post by stifiling »

withoutpity wrote:As thunar eject buttons, 1.6.2 can show them on removable devices, while 1.6.1 show them on all partitions including internal hard disk partions.
Hey thanks for pointing that out. can you upload the thunar 1.6.1 "no root warning" binary you have compiled there...

withoutpity

#16 Post by withoutpity »

Thunar 1.6.1 compiled in Apup 13.2 with DEV DOC and NLS in each folders.
I can not upload it in this forum, so here is the link:
https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=B ... lEBepEo9jI

rg66

xfdesktop

#17 Post by rg66 »

It seems that this has the same problem that Carolina had. Dragging an icon from the app menu to the desktop removes it from the menu. Replacing usr/bin/xfdesktop with the one from Carolina fixes the issue.

Edit: After a reboot it went back to removing the entry from the menu. Replacing xfdesktop again totally screwed up my desktop.
Last edited by rg66 on Wed 06 Feb 2013, 18:22, edited 2 times in total.
X-slacko-5b1 - X-tahr-2.0 - X-precise-2.4
[url=http://smokey01.com/rg66/]X-series repo[/url]

simargl8

#18 Post by simargl8 »

stifiling, finally Xfce version is there 8)
Downloading now... btw:: Maybe add some better wallpaper, I found this one but now don't like it that much

Edit: USB drive in thunar is shown as CDROM. It is the same problem as in spacefm - only that
I changed spacefm settings to show just /dev/sdb (by default it was /dev/sdb - CDROM). Thunar does not have that option.
I would remove some packages already in arch apps like libogg and libtheora.
Also perl is big package, maybe remove it, if possible. Anyway those are just some details, after mine short test. Good work!

rameshiyer

Archpupy 13.2

#19 Post by rameshiyer »

While booting Arch Puppy XFCE Desktop, I am getting below mentioned error message on by one.

1. Could not connect to wicd's D-Bus interface. Check the wicd log for error messages.
2. The wicd daemon has shut down. The UI will not function properly until it is restarted.

Please look into this. Also lookinto my problem while connecting 3G modem. Why mobile partner showing "connecting' even though it is connected. Also no data flow statics in mobile partner. ie. no sign of connection inside the application.

stifiling

#20 Post by stifiling »

simargl8 wrote:stifiling, finally Xfce version is there 8)
Downloading now... btw:: Maybe add some better wallpaper, I found this one but now don't like it that much

Edit: USB drive in thunar is shown as CDROM. It is the same problem as in spacefm - only that
I changed spacefm settings to show just /dev/sdb (by default it was /dev/sdb - CDROM). Thunar does not have that option.
I would remove some packages already in arch apps like libogg and libtheora.
Also perl is big package, maybe remove it, if possible. Anyway those are just some details, after mine short test. Good work!
ok i'll see about removing those packages. if you see anymore that u think is not necessary, let me know. could i still remove gtk3?

also trying to iron out the last lil annoyances the users are presenting.

i worked around the wallpaper, because it's included in the main.sfs. are you still developing archpup? i'm basing these desktop add ons, off of your foundation. so that they sing in harmony, without...overlapping in anyway. as much as possible at least.
rameshiyer wrote:While booting Arch Puppy XFCE Desktop, I am getting below mentioned error message on by one.

1. Could not connect to wicd's D-Bus interface. Check the wicd log for error messages.
2. The wicd daemon has shut down. The UI will not function properly until it is restarted.

Please look into this. Also lookinto my problem while connecting 3G modem. Why mobile partner showing "connecting' even though it is connected. Also no data flow statics in mobile partner. ie. no sign of connection inside the application.
those errors are 'different'. i'm wondering if there's something wrong in the savefile. could you try with a clean savefile, and see if u're still getting the dbus errors...

the 3G modem, i can't fully test, because i don't own one. is the 'No connecting, but really connected', issue....dbus related? have you ever gotten it working correctly in ArchPup before?