Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Tue 25 Nov 2014, 18:00
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Polarpup-005 with Qt4-4.8.0 and Gstreamer libs inbuild
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
Page 7 of 34 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, ..., 32, 33, 34 Next
pemasu

PostPosted: Mon 20 Jun 2011, 17:26    Post_subject:  

I retuned originally Sheepy`s posted GUI interface for xcompmgr. It creates menu entry to the Desktop section.

Xcompmgr is already installed in Polarpup.
gcompmgr-0.21.pet
Description 
pet

Download 
Filename  gcompmgr-0.21.pet 
Filesize  55.75 KB 
Downloaded  159 Time(s) 
jim3630

PostPosted: Mon 20 Jun 2011, 19:54    Post_subject:  

pemasu wrote:
Jim3630. Great news. I suppose you had gtk style selected in qtconfig or you tested the behavior after selecting gtk style.

both, gtk preselected, qtconfig then recognized it, changed gtk style saved to qtconfig and no errors.
pemasu

PostPosted: Wed 22 Jun 2011, 16:35    Post_subject:  

Since I am not satisfied with QtWebbrowser I compiled freshly Firefox-5.0. It is still Aurora but this is the real one. Well, I am Firefox man, though I just installed Playdayz`s compiled SM2 in Ice Puppy...and almost liked it. It was sure fast enough for me. But Firefox.....
Compiled in Polarpup.

Download link: http://www.smokey01.com/pemasu/Pets/firefox-5.0.pet

And if you want nice collection of Puppy links, install attached bookmarks file. History > Show all history > Import and backup > restore > choose file your downloaded file.
Remove the phony .gz.
bookmarks.json.gz
Description 
gz

Download 
Filename  bookmarks.json.gz 
Filesize  3.84 KB 
Downloaded  176 Time(s) 
pemasu

PostPosted: Wed 22 Jun 2011, 18:10    Post_subject:  

If your browser collection is not yet full, here is real perl. Small, but real fast and in quick test looks promising.
And it is little smaller than Firefox.

http://qt-apps.org/content/show.php/WebRender?content=140450
webrender-1.0RC.pet
Description 
pet

Download 
Filename  webrender-1.0RC.pet 
Filesize  410.37 KB 
Downloaded  154 Time(s) 
James C

PostPosted: Wed 22 Jun 2011, 20:07    Post_subject:  

Firefox..... a much better browser. Smile

Grabbed WebRender to play with too...... Laughing
playdayz

PostPosted: Wed 22 Jun 2011, 21:23    Post_subject:  

Quote:
It sure is cool in Finland.
Snow puppy, Ice puppy, polar puppy. Wink

Is the winter going on a little too long pemasu? Wink
gcmartin

PostPosted: Wed 22 Jun 2011, 21:41    Post_subject:  

Thanks Playdayz and Pemasu for the SM2.1. Its really fast and still feature complete.

My ICE is thick and solid! Looking forward to the next ICE skating adventure..

THANKS!!!

pemasu

PostPosted: Thu 23 Jun 2011, 05:31    Post_subject:  

Quote:
Is the winter going on a little too long pemasu?

I have been thinking of next woof build distro called Ice Age Puppy. That will surely last long Smile
playdayz

PostPosted: Thu 23 Jun 2011, 18:49    Post_subject:  

Quote:
I just installed Playdayz`s compiled SM2 in Ice Puppy...and almost liked it. It was sure fast enough for me. But Firefox.....

By my tests Firefox 5.0 is even faster than Seamonkey 2.1--it scores about 20% higher on the Peacekeeper benchmark (but Seamonkey 2.1 is just a shade faster than Firefox 4.0.1). It is really good IMHO to see a fast Seamonkey! QtWeb looks good, but it was jumping all over the place on me--I wasn't able to post a message, plus no right-click to copy and paste.
pemasu

PostPosted: Fri 24 Jun 2011, 01:59    Post_subject:  

Playdayz. Good to hear your test reports in this thread also. About Qt browsers. I will abandon QtWebbrowser. It is not good enough, stable enough, it uses proprietary license and so you cant compile it yourself. It also drags its own static compiled libs with it. So...I have tested these light browsers actively.

Next step. Probably I have to add gstreamer support. Just compiled Clementine. But my compiling environment with all test compiles is a bit mess. Also testing wireless microcodes and compiling compat-wireless and installing them has not helped.
I maybe have to compile Clementine in fresh environment, which means dowloading tons of libs and dev libs again. Lets see.
marco07

PostPosted: Fri 24 Jun 2011, 09:35    Post_subject:  

Just finished reading through all 7 pages in the thread. Man, i got exicited to try Polar puppy as well. Will download it later and try it this week end. it sounds like an exciting puppy!
marco07

PostPosted: Sat 25 Jun 2011, 16:15    Post_subject:  

Hello:
Had a manual frugal install of Polar Puppy 001 on an older desktop, Pentium III, 1 GHz, 1 GB ram with a legacy nvidia graphic card.
Installed Ndiswrapper pet file and set up my wireless connection with it without any problem.
Run qtconfig and selected desired font size.
Installed firefox through quick pet and updated it to FFX 5. Installed Thunderbird Mail client.
All working fine so far.
The only issue so far is that the CUPS Printer Wizard brings up the net set up page however, clicking on any tab generate 500 server error message and I could not set up my printer yet.
aside from this I am happy with this polar puppy 001.
pemasu

PostPosted: Sun 26 Jun 2011, 02:22    Post_subject:  

Marco07. Thank you of your report. About CUPS. I need to investigate the problem. I dont remember if I have used printer with Polarpup. Do you get the same problem before Firefox installation, if you boot with pfix=ram ?
marco07

PostPosted: Sun 26 Jun 2011, 11:01    Post_subject:  

pemasu wrote:
Marco07. Thank you of your report. About CUPS. I need to investigate the problem. I dont remember if I have used printer with Polarpup. Do you get the same problem before Firefox installation, if you boot with pfix=ram ?

Hi pemasu:
I booted up with prefix=ram and after installation of ndiswrapper to be able to connect to my home network printer, it worked well and I could see my printer on QTWeb browser without producing any error. So it works in live boot-up.
I then went back and rebooted into my installation and removed Firefox, thinking that may work. Even lthough I removed all the remnants of Firefox, it did not work and I got the same "500 Internal server error" in QTweb when clicking on any tab. So, I suppose I need to reinstall Polar Puppy and set up my printer before installing any additional packages, in particular Firefox. Or perhaps it was because I installed Firefox from quick pet rather than using your posted .pet which I had noted after install of Firefox. Anyhow, I hope these info are helpfull to you.
Thanks!
pemasu

PostPosted: Sun 26 Jun 2011, 11:59    Post_subject:  

Marco07. I suspect or it is highly possible that Firefox changes some folder permissions so that even removing Firefox wont help. I am unfortunately now several weeks in our summer cottage and I use my mothers laptop to achieve net. No printer and no net in my working laptop. So I cant troubleshoot the Firefox now. But if it has that kind problem, I need to do something for it in the future. Maybe waiting that someone else compiles it or has Playdayz already done that ?
Display_posts:   Sort by:   
Page 7 of 34 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, ..., 32, 33, 34 Next
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to:  

Rules_post_cannot
Rules_reply_cannot
Rules_edit_cannot
Rules_delete_cannot
Rules_vote_cannot
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum