Macpup 525 & Macpup 528 & 528v2

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Ted Dog

#76 Post by Ted Dog »

Aitch wrote:Intel MAC again, not ppc, e.g. G4/G5 series, I presume?

When are we going to see puppy support for ppcmac?

Aitch :)
Yes sorry the PPC puppy version I almost had wrkng years ago never could work around Xorg, that and the removal of OtherOS on my dev PS3 by SONY was the final blow. Still have the dev frozen in storage. I looked at if briefly when they found out how to regain linux on PS3.

This MacTel spin is much closer to workable. Just working on settings on boot and HDMI audio. Confirmed all parts work but still need it to work in one linux currently have 4 source linux distros ,opendarwin and supergrub2 pulled apart. Each add parts and bloated to 500M of extreme scruff.

Am postng on the bloated prototype now using my main HDTV and a little wirelless keyboard. running in RAM on m MiniMac4.1

runtt21

#77 Post by runtt21 »

Ted , This thread is for the support, info on the use of and development of future version of the macpup project. It's not about running puppy on mac's. If you have a project about that, get your own thread.

Ted Dog

#78 Post by Ted Dog »

runtt21 wrote:Ted , This thread is for the support, info on the use of and development of future version of the macpup project. It's not about running puppy on mac's. If you have a project about that, get your own thread.
Will do, wanted to give this group a heads up before making an announcement, since it is likely to confuse most. Anyone interested PM me so to not redirect this thread, not ready to make this effort more widely known. Thanks, continue on.

stevecanb

Re: Modifying remastered Macpup 525 startup

#79 Post by stevecanb »

runtt21 wrote:
my wife (who has only ever used Windows) can use painlessly to access internet banking securely,
What I would suggest is that you just install mp525 on a flash drive or boot with the live cd and put a save file on a flash drive. After that first save every time you boot all of your network setting/driver settings loads up solving all of your problems. All she has to do is click on the firefox icon once and then select "start private browsing" in it's menu . Doing that with the use of the firewall is about as safe as you can be. If she wants to save pics or music or what ever just use the folder to open rox. Everything gets save at shutdown except what she does in firefox while running privately.
I tried to register
Sorry about that .We have had some issues at our forum that are getting fixed.
James C and runntt21, a belated thank you for responding to my queries. Much appreciated.

runtt21

#80 Post by runtt21 »

since it is likely to confuse most.

Find a name that doesn't sound like us. ILupu ..... puppyG4

puppyluvr

#81 Post by puppyluvr »

:D Granny Smith...
Close the Windows, and open your eyes, to a whole new world
I am Lead Dog of the
Puppy Linux Users Group on Facebook
Join us!

Puppy since 2.15CE...

hottyson

#82 Post by hottyson »

runtt21 wrote:Here is the new clock. It installs like a macpup update for e17 . First download and save the .pet. Don't install it yet. Open the exit menu and switch to JWM. Now install the .pet . Wait a few seconds after install and open the shutdown menu and switch back to e17. The reason this .pet and the update .pets need to be installed this way, is because macpup has a real attitude with stuff getting over written when its in use.

To access the calendar ,left click on the clock face. To make it go away left click on the face again. If you are using a older theme you will still get the new box but without the calendar. If you switch to digital, the clock will disappear .left click where the clock was and you will get the settings panel back to change it to analogue. I will be updating themes as I go as I work on lite . Enjoy!!!
My clock disappeared. I forgot to click on it's face to bring it's settings back to analog. I can't seem to get it back. I have tried unloading and loading it but it has no effect when I click where the clock should be. Am I out of luck at getting it back?

runtt21

#83 Post by runtt21 »

Download and use one of the new themes , Silk-3 or mystery-1, from the macpup 525 folder on my macpup page. They have support for the clock. You can then change it back to analogue
[url]http://macpup.org/runtt21[/url]

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#84 Post by Flash »

runtt21 wrote:
since it is likely to confuse most.

Find a name that doesn't sound like us. ILupu ..... puppyG4
Actually it's you who ought to find another name. I thought Macpup was Puppy for a Mac. I even suggested it to someone who wondered if there was a Puppy that would run on a Mac. What were you thinking when you named it? Did it not occur to you that people might make that assumption based on the name? :?

runtt21

#85 Post by runtt21 »

Prit released the first macpup back in March of '08 .Together we have been working on it for more than three years. We didn't just start this yesterday.To date we have released 18 different versions. We have been on Distrowatch for more than 2 years strait.We're established. It's our brand name and we're keeping it.

Google macpup and see how much stuff about our little pup comes up. How many videos at youtube are there? more than 60. I have seen threads about us at the ubuntu ,opensuse,linux mint and pclinuxos forums just to name a few.

As far as someone getting confused about what we are ,read the first post in this thread. That is the same release announcement at our forum and at distrowatch. It is also included in the "About Macpup 525" document that is the the root folder of the .iso so every download has it.

In the last three years up to the release of 525 we have had more than 200k download just from our site.Not counting Softpedia or the rapid download/torrent/mirror sites. ( it's way past that now ) . I remember having to explain that this is for PC's to 5 maybe 6 people out of more than 200k downloads.

This is who we are.We dont make puppy linux.We make puppy linux beautiful.We are the Macpup project.

jim3630

#86 Post by jim3630 »

very elegant. did a manual hdd frugal install. my troublesome broadcom wl wifi drivers was not included so connected using usb ar9710usb.

poking through my driver door fould a broadcom wl driver for this kernel that works. will attach it, hope not too big.

hottyson

THANK YOU!

#87 Post by hottyson »

runtt21 wrote:Download and use one of the new themes , Silk-3 or mystery-1, from the macpup 525 folder on my macpup page. They have support for the clock. You can then change it back to analogue
runtt21,
Thank you so much for this. It works and I am just going to keep the new theme (Silk-3).

I really appreciate your help and you beautiful work on Macpup 525. I am about to switch many of my family members computers over to Puppy using Macpup or Legacy OS-2. Puppy Linux is the best OS in the world and Macpup is the most beautiful version to date.

Again, a huge "Thank you" to you. :D

Aitch

#88 Post by Aitch »

aaagh

that's very BLUE, bold too :wink:

Aitch :)

starhawk

#89 Post by starhawk »

Hey... I'm still around in the puppy world. Hope ya'll ain't too mad at me for dropping GreenPup like a radioactive tater.

Need some help. Got a friend with a Mac, and she's willing to try Linux. So I dig out an old eMachines T2596, and I try to get it to run MacPup.

But I'm having some problems, and I'm not so sharp with this stuff any more.

I've got it on a 60gig drive, with ext3 on the main partition and a 1gig swap partition. The system has only 256mb RAM right now, but the second stick of 256 (for 512 total) will be arriving in a week or so.

I did a frugal install to the root of the drive, and it boots fine... until I make a save file. Then it goes all kablooie on me, saying something about an overwritten file somewhere. I'm too lazy right now to jot down exactly what it says, but it's in multiple colors and they ain't pretty.

Does macpup only like ext2? Or is this a problem with my system? Or what?

runtt21

#90 Post by runtt21 »

I have used both ext 2 and 3 with it and it should work with ext 4. What else is on your HD? You may need to reformat the drive.

@hottyson You can still use any of the themes.It just those 2 have support for the new clock.I will have another one soon.

mrd

Enlightenment Error!

#91 Post by mrd »

I ran into the dreaded white box error message after using quickpet to install Gimp. Hitting F1 caused my desktop to go blank and only after a hard reset and running xwin at the prompt got me back to a working desktop.

mrd

Enlightenment backup...

#92 Post by mrd »

After spending some time to get my new MacPup install configured, I'd like to back up the desktop config. Can someone tell me what files to backup?

I think that /root/.e/* would work, but wanted a professional opinion.

starhawk

#93 Post by starhawk »

@runtt21: I was installing on a freshly repartitioned drive with nothing else on it. I originally had 55.9gb as ext3, and it stuck a 200mb swap file on. Rebooted and... oh crap.

I thought that maybe it'd mucked up making the swap file, and so I repartitioned again, this time with 54.9gb as ext3 and 1gb swap. Same result.

Don't know if it matters, but here's the full spec list for this computer...
2.5ghz Celeron (socket 478/p4 based)
256mb RAM (soon to be upgraded to 512)
60gb HDD
CD-RW/DVD-ROM Combo Drive
Floppy Drive

It has integrated everything, except for the modem on a discrete card.

Also of note, I recently did a secure format of the hard drive using Darik's Boot & Nuke -- the computer used to be Mom's, when she had a law practice. I needed to safely insure that none of the old files could be retrieved no matter what, and I decided not to go with the drill method this time ;)

runtt21

#94 Post by runtt21 »

@mrd , F1 always brings the desktop back for me but I havent had a white box in ages.I know it still happens ,It's because gimp has a scalable icon that causes efreet to flip out.They are suppose to have that fixed and when I rebuild my version of e this weekend I will see. But yes everything you need is in /root/.e

@starhawk , Try running it live off the cd and see if that will make a save file on the drive. Your stats look fine I just dont know if all of that has messed something up.

A new theme and an update to another for Friday or Saturday.....

MP-Electric and MP-Wood-8 Both have support for the new clock but work fine with out it.

starhawk

#95 Post by starhawk »

Tried it again on an ext2 formatted partition... same problem. I'll try it from the CD next.

BTW, I checked the MD5 and it is correct, at least on my computer. I'll burn another CD after dinner, just to check that my burner didn't eff things up.