Macpup 525 & Macpup 528 & 528v2

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
smokey01

#61 Post by smokey01 »

Nice!

rokytnji

#62 Post by rokytnji »

And I am starting to work on the lite version. Stayed tuned!!!!
Holidays are wearing me out Image

So I am staying tuned.

runtt21

#63 Post by runtt21 »

The .pets for both the Silk-3 and Mystery-1 themes are now in the macpup 525 folder on my macpup page. Enjoy !!! You will need one of these themes to see the stuff for the new clock. Older themes still work great but they dont have that calendar. I will explain tomorrow when I upload it. Still Testing.
[url]http://macpup.org/runtt21[/url]

runtt21

#64 Post by runtt21 »

Here is the new clock. It installs like a macpup update for e17 . First download and save the .pet. Don't install it yet. Open the exit menu and switch to JWM. Now install the .pet . Wait a few seconds after install and open the shutdown menu and switch back to e17. The reason this .pet and the update .pets need to be installed this way, is because macpup has a real attitude with stuff getting over written when its in use.

To access the calendar ,left click on the clock face. To make it go away left click on the face again. If you are using a older theme you will still get the new box but without the calendar. If you switch to digital, the clock will disappear .left click where the clock was and you will get the settings panel back to change it to analogue. I will be updating themes as I go as I work on lite . Enjoy!!!
Attachments
clock-2.pet
(31.54 KiB) Downloaded 440 times

openwell2

macpup 525 firewall settings

#65 Post by openwell2 »

Hi,
I was able to setup the firewall OK.
And get the firewall icon on the I-bar OK.
When I right-click on the icon, I don't get any change or choices?
I can not figure out how to turn it on and off temporarily in macpup 525?
I installed a toggle firewall pet found in the forum, but instructions are only for JWM, not E-17.
Can you show me a way to turn off firewall temporarily while I download and upload torrents? The more detailed your answer, the better.
Especially if there are simple ways. :D
Many thanks for a great pup. :)

runtt21

#66 Post by runtt21 »

Can you post a link to that .pet?

openwell2

macpup 525 firewall settings

#67 Post by openwell2 »

Link to firewall toggle pet here
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 9ea478cf1f
Problem solved!
I found the toggle icon in Ibar applications and it works!
I can now turn off and on at will with a simple click on the icon, then check a box in the pop-up. This is great stuff.
Just install this pet, then-
I just right clicked on an "open area" on the Ibar near any of icons.
Go to Gadget Ibar --> contents
Applications
Scroll down to Firewall Toggle
click on Add + bar
click Apply, then Close
The icon appears like a "chemistry flask" marked fluid
Click on the icon in the Ibar and you get the dialog box with options.
Now I can really feel good about the firewall settings. :shock:
Many thanks for such a great macpup 525, I love everything about it. :D

openwell2

Macpup 525 firewall toggle pet

#68 Post by openwell2 »

Hi runtt21,
Tested ports in Transmission and the firewall toggle pet works perfectly in macpup 525. :)
Port is open when firewall toggle is off and closed when toggle is on.
Just as it is supposed to be.
This will allow me to share my torrents by turning off the firewall "at will" then turn firewall back on again.
Each time I reboot everything goes back to default firewall toggle "on"
and the firewall is "on" by default. So if I forget to turn firewall on, it is on when I restart my computer!

Could not get the firewall status icon to work at all though.
So I just removed it from the Ibar.

The toggle icon works good with pop-up box toggle.
This is great control.
Looks like I will be using only Macpup 525 since it does everything I need to do and is so cool! :wink: :lol:

runtt21

#69 Post by runtt21 »

Aitch

#70 Post by Aitch »

yes, translates quite well

good review

well done prit1 :wink:

anyone seen him lately?

Aitch :)

runtt21

#71 Post by runtt21 »

I talk to Prit several times a week. He doesn't come around here very much cause He and the Mrs. just had a little one. Things are "busy" at his house right now.

Aitch

#72 Post by Aitch »

Cool, wish him and the family well for me

sorry, I didn't mean to be rude

I should have said,
well done runtt21 and prit1, and helpers :wink:

Ted Dog

AntiMacPup

#73 Post by Ted Dog »

The workings on getting a version of normal looking puppylinux running on mactel hardware is almost ready for alpha release. The name AntiMacPup is not that I think bad or anti this release put to point out that it is the opposite idea of MacPup. OSX is nice but I feel more at home in default puppylinux.
Ideally this AMP will fit in the unused EFI boot space found in all macs. Early testing of booting from EFI is better then expected. It boots directly into Grub2 without using Macs flaky boot chooser. So once all the correct kernel support is added for EFI it will boot cleanly like a frugal install.

Aitch

#74 Post by Aitch »

Intel MAC again, not ppc, e.g. G4/G5 series, I presume?

When are we going to see puppy support for ppcmac?

russoodle

#75 Post by russoodle »

Nice review :)
[i][color=Green][size=92]The mud-elephant, wading thru the sea, leaves no tracks..[/size][/color][/i]

Ted Dog

#76 Post by Ted Dog »

Aitch wrote:Intel MAC again, not ppc, e.g. G4/G5 series, I presume?

When are we going to see puppy support for ppcmac?

Yes sorry the PPC puppy version I almost had wrkng years ago never could work around Xorg, that and the removal of OtherOS on my dev PS3 by SONY was the final blow. Still have the dev frozen in storage. I looked at if briefly when they found out how to regain linux on PS3.

This MacTel spin is much closer to workable. Just working on settings on boot and HDMI audio. Confirmed all parts work but still need it to work in one linux currently have 4 source linux distros ,opendarwin and supergrub2 pulled apart. Each add parts and bloated to 500M of extreme scruff.

Am postng on the bloated prototype now using my main HDTV and a little wirelless keyboard. running in RAM on m MiniMac4.1

runtt21

#77 Post by runtt21 »

Ted , This thread is for the support, info on the use of and development of future version of the macpup project. It's not about running puppy on mac's. If you have a project about that, get your own thread.

Ted Dog

#78 Post by Ted Dog »

runtt21 wrote:Ted , This thread is for the support, info on the use of and development of future version of the macpup project. It's not about running puppy on mac's. If you have a project about that, get your own thread.
Will do, wanted to give this group a heads up before making an announcement, since it is likely to confuse most. Anyone interested PM me so to not redirect this thread, not ready to make this effort more widely known. Thanks, continue on.

stevecanb

Re: Modifying remastered Macpup 525 startup

#79 Post by stevecanb »

runtt21 wrote:
my wife (who has only ever used Windows) can use painlessly to access internet banking securely,
What I would suggest is that you just install mp525 on a flash drive or boot with the live cd and put a save file on a flash drive. After that first save every time you boot all of your network setting/driver settings loads up solving all of your problems. All she has to do is click on the firefox icon once and then select "start private browsing" in it's menu . Doing that with the use of the firewall is about as safe as you can be. If she wants to save pics or music or what ever just use the folder to open rox. Everything gets save at shutdown except what she does in firefox while running privately.
I tried to register
Sorry about that .We have had some issues at our forum that are getting fixed.
James C and runntt21, a belated thank you for responding to my queries. Much appreciated.

runtt21

#80 Post by runtt21 »

since it is likely to confuse most.

Find a name that doesn't sound like us. ILupu ..... puppyG4