Epson 1260 scanner works in Slacko 5.6, not in Carolina 1.2

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
mtzlplex

Epson 1260 scanner works in Slacko 5.6, not in Carolina 1.2

#1 Post by mtzlplex »

Good day to all. Today I am in need of some guidance concerning the install of a known good/working Epson Perfection 1260 scanner. I am running "Carolina" 1.2 non-pae. I absolutely love this distro, and the only thing I have not been able to accomplish that I need, is the ability to use my Epson scanner. I have looked on the "Sane" site, and this scanner is supported. I have also looked on the Epson support site, and there are Linux drivers there. Actually, I was kind of suprised that Carolina didn`t have Xsane, or Peasyscan right out of the box. I am a newbe to both Linux, and Carolina, so I will probably need some handholding. Thanks in advance for any hints/tips/support.

Regards
mtzlplex

jp734

#2 Post by jp734 »

I've never had any problem with my scanner with any distro and the only thing I do is edit the /etc/sane.d/snapscan.conf file and edit the very first line which is the path to the firmware for the scanner. Hope that helps

Geoffrey

Re: Carolina 1.2 and Epson 1260 scanner install help needed

#3 Post by Geoffrey »

mtzlplex wrote:Good day to all. Today I am in need of some guidance concerning the install of a known good/working Epson Perfection 1260 scanner. I am running "Carolina" 1.2 non-pae. I absolutely love this distro, and the only thing I have not been able to accomplish that I need, is the ability to use my Epson scanner. I have looked on the "Sane" site, and this scanner is supported. I have also looked on the Epson support site, and there are Linux drivers there. Actually, I was kind of suprised that Carolina didn`t have Xsane, or Peasyscan right out of the box. I am a newbe to both Linux, and Carolina, so I will probably need some handholding. Thanks in advance for any hints/tips/support.

Regards
mtzlplex
There are sfs modules for printers and scanners in the repo printer-scanner-001.sfs and printer-scanner-drivers.sfs

printer-scanner-001.sfs contains Xsane-image-scanner, Peasyscan and PeasyPrint, this may fix things for you.
[b]Carolina:[/b] [url=http://smokey01.com/carolina/pages/recent-repo.html]Recent Repository Additions[/url]
[img]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/ahfade8q4def1lq/signbot.gif[/img]

mtzlplex

#4 Post by mtzlplex »

Thanks for replying Geoffrey. I downloaded both of the sfs files, executed them and when I run them, they both inform me that there is "no device available" even though my printer is plugged in(usb), and turned on. I have Carolina 1.2 on a 8gb flash drive, and this is what I am trying to install this Epson Perfection 1260 scanner on. What is strange is that when I remove the Carolina 1.2 flash drive, and replace it with my 8gb flash drive with Puppy Slacko 5.6, Slacko has no problem recognizing my Epson scanner in both Xsane, and Peasyscan. If this sounds a little goofy, it`s probably because I have spent the last 4 days trying to figure out why Carolina will not recognize the scanner, but Slacko has no problems seeing it(I`m a little worn out). At this point I will try anything I can understand. I appreciate your links, and helping me further with this if you have the time..

Regards
mtzlplex

mtzlplex

#5 Post by mtzlplex »

jp734 wrote:I've never had any problem with my scanner with any distro and the only thing I do is edit the /etc/sane.d/snapscan.conf file and edit the very first line which is the path to the firmware for the scanner. Hope that helps
Is this the line which needs to be edited?
Attachments
Screenshot-1.png
(12.26 KiB) Downloaded 222 times

jp734

#6 Post by jp734 »

That's exactly it. Now you just need the firmware and hope it works for you. Good Luck!

mtzlplex

#7 Post by mtzlplex »

jp734 wrote:That's exactly it. Now you just need the firmware and hope it works for you. Good Luck!
See, that is what I am hesitant about, updating the firmware, I don`t want to have a perfectly good scanner turned into a doorstop by a bad firmware update. I guess the question is why is this scanner recognized by both Xsane, and Peasyscan when running a Slacko 5.6 flash drive, but not recognized when running a Carolina 1.2 flash drive with both Xsane and Peasyscan installed? Both flash drives are 8gb Sandisk/both are being plugged into the same usb port/scanner is always plugged into the same port. That is what is confusing me, both os are puppys, one recognizes the scanner, one doesn`t. Thanks for taking time.

jp734

#8 Post by jp734 »

You are not really updating the firmware. I think what is happening is with Slacko, the firmware is loaded for you automatically but not with Carolina. If you want, you can boot up Slacko, find the firmware that made your scanner work, copy and save on a flash drive then boot Carolina and use that same firmware. That way you don't worry about using a different firmware version. Where to find it in Slacko, that I don't know. I would check the same configuration file I mentioned and see where the file is stored.

Geoffrey

#9 Post by Geoffrey »

mtzlplex,

If your still having problems then this may have the answer. http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=41939
[b]Carolina:[/b] [url=http://smokey01.com/carolina/pages/recent-repo.html]Recent Repository Additions[/url]
[img]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/ahfade8q4def1lq/signbot.gif[/img]

mtzlplex

#10 Post by mtzlplex »

jp734, I want to thank you for your time and assistance, but I think I am beating a dead horse here. After 4 days of trying anything, and everything, I am no closer to a working scanner on Carolina than the day I started. I am limited by my lack of knowledge of Linux(especially Carolina) due to me being so new to the os. I like to think of myself as not being a quitter, but at the same time, a man has to know his limitations. I will probably look back into this when I am more knowledgable about the os, but for now, I am going to put this thread to rest. Once again, I appreciate all of your imput/time spent.

Regards
mtzlplex

mtzlplex

#11 Post by mtzlplex »

Geoffrey, I had looked at that thread before I started this one, and had d/led several of the items, nothing worked for me. I have thought about this, and have decided I need to take a break from this thread. My lack of knowledge using the Carolina os is more than likely hindering any progress. I need to use/learn the os better than I do now. That being said, I wanted to thank you for taking your time to try to help me, and for the links. Sometime in the future when I have more Carolina linux time under my belt, I will revisit this topic.