Long Term Support for Legacy OS 2 Users

News, happenings
john biles

Long Term Support for Legacy OS 2 Users

#1 Post by john biles »

Hello to real long term Legacy OS 2 users this post is for you!

It isn't for Distro Hoppers and those who get the kicks out of testing different Pups.

Here's the deal, I am but one User / Developer who has to use their available time wisely. I decided a long time ago to see how far Puppy 2.14 could be pushed. What could be achieved by focusing all my energy on one Puppy release. There's something about the later series 2 pups, series 3, 4 and 5 can't match. If I'd followed every Puppy release trying to turn it in to TEENpup and now Legacy OS very little would have been released. It's funny, users have complained about the age of the kernel used. I've done some experimenting with newer kernels in Legacy OS 2 and while I can boot to a Desktop the amount of applications that start and crash or don't start at all would be close to 40%. One developer just hasn't got the time to chase and fix these problems. In all truth if an Operating System can fulfill the computing needs for a number of users, what does it matter how old the kernel is.

Now that Legacy OS 2 is out this is what's going to happen.

In the next few days Bugfix-001 will be provided. It will fix a few small bugs I found since Legacy OS 2's release.
A directory will appear in /root (Home) called "Bugfix-Updates" which will keep a record of installed bug fixes and updates. At a glance a User will know if they have installed all the released bug fixes and updates or not.

Also my time will be spent packaging extra Applications for users who want more.

If you head over to http://puppylinuxstuff.meownplanet.net/ ... epository/ you'll see I've already started.

Just remember to download the install guide, it's one page take the time to read it. Don't complain if you don't and stuff up an install.

You'll need to enter user = puppy and password = linux
Legacy OS 2017 has been released.