Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 18 Apr 2014, 06:37
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
take data out of the personal save file
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]  
hanzf

PostPosted: Thu 02 Jun 2011, 18:29    Post subject:  take data out of the personal save file  

Hello,

I run a Lupu 5.0.0. frugal install with a .2fs personal storage file on an almost empty 15GB ext3 partition, and I'd like to take data out of the .2fs file into the free space on this partition (sda3).
Especially I don't want new software to fill up the .2fs if there is so much empty space on the partition.
First attempt: started from CD with "puppy pfix=ram", mounted the partition, then opened the .2fs file and moved "usr" to "/mnt/sda3". Then I symlinked it back to the .2fs file.
Restarting the computer, it could not find some essential files which should have been in "/usr", i think that's because sda3 was not mounted?
So I put the .2fs back in its original state and made a copy of it and booted with one of these .2fs files. Then I opened the other one and moved "usr" to "/mnt/home" which was now available, and symlinked it back, but it didn't work either.
Is there a way to bypass these problems and make all the empty space on the partition available for packages?

Thank you.

bigpup

PostPosted: Thu 02 Jun 2011, 22:25    Post subject:  

The easy answer is make the save file bigger with menu->utility->resize personal storage file.
Other easy answer do a full install of Puppy.
You can also download to /mnt/home and store files there like documents, music, videos, pictures, etc...
p310don

PostPosted: Thu 02 Jun 2011, 22:30    Post subject:  

Sounds like you are doing it the right way. I've done the same thing, but it works for me.

My process is, using rox

Move the folder you want out of the /root directory to /mnt/home

Then, find the folder in /mnt/home and drag it back to /root and check "link absolute"

That works for me

Note, don't do this in live state, run as per normal.
gnz11

PostPosted: Thu 02 Jun 2011, 23:55    Post subject: savefile filling  

here's another method you might try out.

make your savefile approximately 1g if space is there.

save all data-pics,docs, etc on the hd outside of the savefile.

this keeps the savefile for settings and book marks and installed software. the reason for 1g is that will be the amount of live ram when you boot up.

another useful thing is to move the .mozilla to the hd storage area instead of the live filesystem.

this will let you keep all your links and history and will let it be used if you try another pup.

so all you need is to move .mozilla to your data storage area and make a relative link back to /root. if you are storing data on a dirfferent partiton you will need to mount that partition first for it to be seen.

this method keeps the cache from eating your freeram
DaveS

PostPosted: Fri 03 Jun 2011, 00:12    Post subject:  

Actually, if you have a 1GB save file and then dont really use it, you are basically wasting a gig of space. I set my frugal installs up in such a way as to allow all changes to the operating system, added programs etc to remain inside the save file, with the exception of /root/.mozilla/ and any browsers I install, which I put on free space on the HD, symlinked back.
Then all data is on the free part of the HD, symlinked back. As I use several PCs, I use Dropbox also to synchronise data, and provide off site back-up.
I also symlink my downloads directory from the HD as a big download can crash a save file.
I use a 512MB save file for all my installs. Seems about right for what I use.
I also try to avoid having to install Java or Python as they eat a lot of space for very little gain.

Béèm

Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

PostPosted: Fri 03 Jun 2011, 12:07    Post subject:  

Another idea here.

You will have to start from scratch.

As you seem to have space on the HDD, rearrange the partitions in such a way that you can create a complete empty partition.

Boot from the CD with with puppy pfix=ram
At the end of this first session you are asked to create a save file.
Select to create to this completely empty partition, thus not as a file.
I never did myself but saw posts of others who did so.

If f.e. this partition is 10GB, you can use it for installing programs, saving the configuration files and if you want also data.
But considering date (doc's spreadsheets, audio/video files), I always store those outside the save space.

Use peppyy's puppysearch
PaulBx1

PostPosted: Sun 05 Jun 2011, 10:32    Post subject:  

I got tired of huge pupsaves too. I moved two things out: /root/.mozilla, with all my emails, and a directory with personal stuff, /root/Paul. They were moved into a truecrypt volume and thus are still private (I did have to mount that volume of course, to get on the internet). Everything else got left in the encrypted pupsave, including installed programs, which worked well enough because I don't have a huge number of them.

This worked very well in lupu 511. Unfortunately in 525, I have to recreate the .mozilla link every time I boot, because something in the boot process creates a /root/.mozilla directory and wipes out my link. Very annoying! Mad
hanzf

PostPosted: Tue 07 Jun 2011, 18:28    Post subject:  

I just tried to move the "/root" folder out to /mnt/sda3... (tip: don't!)
Béèm wrote:
Another idea here.
You will have to start from scratch.

... and so I had to do so.
Béèm wrote:

At the end of this first session you are asked to create a save file.
Select to create to this completely empty partition, thus not as a file.

I was not offered this option.
However, I think I leave it as it is and I guess the max .2fs filesize of 1.8GB will be enough for all the programs, and my data all go to the WinXP MyDocuments folder which is on a 120GB partition so 13GB dead space on the linux partition is just a medium portion of peanuts...
Thank you anyway.

Béèm

Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

PostPosted: Wed 08 Jun 2011, 13:18    Post subject:  

@hanzf,
I said I never did it, but as the matter seems interesting I tried.
Indeed I don't see the option to use a partition either.

However I just discovered a thread (2e post) where is said that saving to a partition is possible.

Use peppyy's puppysearch
Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]  
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
Jump to: