Legacy OS 2 Released (Download Now!)

News, happenings
caieng

#31 Post by caieng »

Before downloading, may I inquire whether or not VLC will work with this distro?
Since it does not appear to be included with the download, how do we go about installing it, if it can be used?

Am I correct in understanding Lobster's post, that Opera 11 works as browser for this "legacy" OS?

On windows 98, I must use Opera 10.10, and an older version of VLC, 0.86f, however, both work just fine, I must confess.

I found that the newer Linux versions would not work with my older video card, as you noted, however, on further examination, it turns out that it was NOT my 12 year old video card (Trident) that Linux (newer versions) choked upon, but rather, the even older color monitor. The monitor finally gave way, and when it did, I replaced it with a "new" monitor, only five years old, and voila, the same card, same Linux, worked fine.

Puppy, 4.x worked fine with that old monitor, but on inspection, I observed that the plug was missing several gold pins, evidently not part of the older specification, when that monitor was constructed, perhaps about twenty years ago...

With most current versions of Linux, I am unable to achieve a proper resolution with my newest monitor, (exceptions, Puppy, and PCLOS with the Drake control center), as I can do effortlessly with windows 98, i.e. 1280 x 1024. Something to do with HDMI I suppose, for I continue to use the old VGA plug....

:)

I like everything about Puppy, old and newer versions, save for the fact that VLC does not install, at least, I cannot get it to work with VLC. I cannot understand why VLC is not included with the default, downloaded distro. I am way past willing to fool around with Aqualung and the rest of the defective streaming audio players. No VLC, no interest.

regards,
CAI ENG

Sage

#32 Post by Sage »

Just got my first look, john - absolutely magnificent.
All those whimpering tw*ts should ditch their modern cr*p and search the skips & dumpsters for decade-old boards - it's all one needs with this masterpiece.
That bridge looks familiar - it isn't Syndey's steel, is it!

john biles

#33 Post by john biles »

Hello caieng,
Legacy OS 2 comes with VLC 8.6 and Opera 10.10 by default. No need to install anything!
For the record Opera 11 with run but produces error messages when you close it.

Arrr Sage!
What can I say if I did a "Studio 4" (http://getstudio4.com/) with Legacy OS 2, I'd use your last post as a Testimonial.
Sage says: Just got my first look, john - absolutely magnificent.
All those whimpering tw*ts should ditch their modern cr*p and search the skips & dumpsters for decade-old boards - it's all one needs with this masterpiece.
As for the bridge, I have no idea got the image in a collection of GPL wallpapers.
Legacy OS 2017 has been released.

gnomic

vlc in puppy

#34 Post by gnomic »

Maybe veering off topic, but . . . for the benefit of caieng
VLC will certainly run in Puppy, or some Puppies at any rate. For a very recent rather good current example see snowpuppy.And of course it works in Legacy!

It may be considered a bit bloated for minimalist Puppy versions.

Sylvander

#35 Post by Sylvander »

@ john biles
Oh dear no!

Tried Legacy OS 2, and it wouldn't boot on my hardware. :(

The last Puppy of yours I got to work is Teenpup Mini 2010 beta.

This is getting to be a habit.
I'm desperate to try your offerings, but cannot get them to boot! :?

Am I doing something wrong or what?

caieng

#36 Post by caieng »

Thank you John, now downloading, will report back....

CAI ENG

eternal-sunshine

#37 Post by eternal-sunshine »

Hello John,

Thank you for your reply and your explanation of some of the background to Legacy OS2, although I believe I was aware of most of that already. Despite my limited number of posts I have been experimenting with Puppy for several years and my current test PC now has 24 Puppys on it. ( I just counted and was shocked) :shock:
I know It will boot and run only on so many computers out there and no Linux Distro will boot 100% on every hardware combo out there.
Although I would agree with you in general I still felt your Legacy OS2 should run on my PC as I can run 214 and 214X so I tried today and am happy to report I have it working.

So for the sake of others (including Sylvander who I see has just posted) I hope what I learned may be of some help.

1. As Legacy OS2 is based on the old Puppy 214 I tried frugal and full installs on both ext2 and ext3 partitions using the old 214 which worked fine on this PC. But there are certainly differences between 214 and Legacy OS2 (as there are with 214X from ttuuxxx) as far as booting is concerned.

2. A Full install (Normal as the Installer calls it) of Legacy OS2 boots with a grub2 stanza of

Code: Select all

menuentry     “Legacy OS2  full on hdb6
Last edited by eternal-sunshine on Tue 07 Jun 2011, 11:45, edited 1 time in total.

caieng

#38 Post by caieng »

Hi John,

Many thanks, again, for your excellent work here. Installation was smooth, and uncomplicated.

Neither Opera nor Konqueror work with VLC, however.

VLC is installed, it is right on the desktop, but, when I seek to invoke it, by clicking on the aac+, OGG, or mp3 icons here:
http://www.listenlive.eu/classical.html

nothing happens.

That's atypical in my experience.
Perhaps I lack skill with both older apps, and with Puppy, as well as Linux in general.

With win98, after installing the same old versions of opera and vlc, i.e. same versions as you placed on Legacy OS, there is nothing to configure, VLC works perfectly, in harmony with Opera. The user just clicks on the icon, and music is released from the dusty speakers....

I do appreciate your fine efforts, but, I cannot use Legacy OS as it presently functions.

Regards,

CAI ENG

oligin10

#39 Post by oligin10 »

Hi John, just wanted to say congratulations! I was just over at Softpedia, and you have the #1 linux download for the past 7 days, over 4400 downloads.
Rob

russoodle

#40 Post by russoodle »

Don't know how many downloads from DW, John, but Legacy OS is #11 on the hit list :)
[i][color=Green][size=92]The mud-elephant, wading thru the sea, leaves no tracks..[/size][/color][/i]

Puppyt

#41 Post by Puppyt »

Thanks, eternal-sunshine for your very detailed recipe on frugal-installing Legacy2.0 with a kennel of other kernels already loaded. Your notes on Grub issues and sub-directories have saved me a heap of hair loss - I wondered how to get around a stalling install, and had already PM'd JB before I saw this thread.
JB - in your debt, as ever - thanks for all your hard work here with Legacy...I'm closer to testing it now.

P.S. I agree with Sage - old boxes rock. They were built to last, back in them thar days...
Search engines for Puppy
[url]http://puppylinux.us/psearch.html[/url]; [url=https://cse.google.com/cse?cx=015995643981050743583%3Aabvzbibgzxo&q=#gsc.tab=0]Google Custom Search[/url]; [url]http://wellminded.net63.net/[/url] others TBA...

gnomic

legacy os 2

#42 Post by gnomic »

Tried to boot on a Compaq Armada E500 P3 laptop. Boot ground to a halt at 'loading isolinux. Disk error 4E, AX=4200, drive 9F.' Tried a couple of times. I was then able to boot a distro called zenix on this machine using the same brand of CDR, in this case badged by Verbatim, made by CMC.

Took the CD to a generic desktop, 1.7GHz Celeron. Initially got a similar message. 'Disk error 80, AX-4280 drive 9F.' Second run the process stalled at 'Loading Kernel modules . . . after Checking version. Take 3 booted to the desktop.

The good news was that wifi worked on this machine to an open access point. The wifi card has an Atheros AR5212 chip. No firmware required so the kernel in use must be supporting some Atheros cards at least. Will try to check on a setup requiring authentication.

By the way, the only chipset for which firmware is provided is Intel ipw2200. The wifi firmware usually located in /lib/firmware doesn't occupy a lot of space. Perhaps consider providing this in future or revised versions?

gnomic

more testing

#43 Post by gnomic »

In fresh exciting news to hand the Armada E500 has booted Legacy OS 2 twice now. This from current live session. PIII at 600 MHz, 320MB RAM. No builtin network aside from a modem which doesn't seem to be recognised. However plugged in a 10MB 3Com PCMCIA card and connected to the wifi router ethernet socket and up on the web.

Some troubles with video. Xorg produced a hang - 'Legacy OS 2 is probing your video hardware - please wait'. I didn't have forever so rebooted. It was possible to get a console at this point but didn't seem to be able to login. Next pass was xvesa, which resulted in a squished up discoloured screen on about 60% of the LCD. From there the xvesa wizard got a full screen and a snippet of music. Huzza, sound and light!

As you can see Opera ran, and hence this post. Now can I get lspci copied here? Jolly good, albeit with some difficulty. At least the trackpad is working as mouse and not being too scatty. The ATI card seems to be problematic in several distros and the machine does have a tendency to start with shrunken video. No swap on the E500 which has Windows installed. I think it still boots . . .

sh-3.00# lspci
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 440BX/ZX/DX - 82443BX/ZX/DX Host bridge (rev 03)
00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 440BX/ZX/DX - 82443BX/ZX/DX AGP bridge (rev 03)
00:04.0 CardBus bridge: Texas Instruments PCI1225 (rev 01)
00:04.1 CardBus bridge: Texas Instruments PCI1225 (rev 01)
00:07.0 Bridge: Intel Corporation 82371AB/EB/MB PIIX4 ISA (rev 02)
00:07.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82371AB/EB/MB PIIX4 IDE (rev 01)
00:07.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82371AB/EB/MB PIIX4 USB (rev 01)
00:07.3 Bridge: Intel Corporation 82371AB/EB/MB PIIX4 ACPI (rev 03)
00:08.0 Multimedia audio controller: ESS Technology ES1978 Maestro 2E (rev 10)
00:09.0 Communication controller: Agere Systems WinModem 56k (rev 01)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Rage Mobility P/M AGP 2x (rev 64)

eternal-sunshine

#44 Post by eternal-sunshine »

Puppyt wrote
Thanks, eternal-sunshine for your very detailed recipe on frugal-installing Legacy2.0....
You are welcome. Glad it helped someone.
:D

john biles

#45 Post by john biles »

Hello gnomic,
My test PC's range from 350mhz 192mbs of ram Tower up. I can't remember when Legacy OS didn't boot. It sadden me to see a number of users like yourself having this amount of trouble.

Hello eternal-sunshine,
Thank you for sharing your experiences I sure it would have helped someone.

Sage

#46 Post by Sage »

..sadden me to see a number of users like yourself having this amount of trouble.
Runs on all my single core stuff up to 939, too. I wonder whether folks having trouble are trying to run it in the presence of other Puppies, distros and the most undesirable of all OS? General advice is to disconnect all other HDs, fit a cleaned, old 3.2/4.3/10Gb unit, format ext2, swap partition~200Mb and do a FULL install. john's LegacyOS is well outside the original aims and intentions of the original Puppy, so is best used like a conventional distro - not as if he hasn't stuffed it full of goodies. Try to avoid tricky HW like Intel video, HP/Cq laptops, etc. Take my advice and dig out an old board, preferably AMD. My preference is for those old 1200 Durons - millions were produced - free with cornflakes - cut&paint to reduce the multiplier and stick the FSB up as far as possible. This approach produces results far superior with all Puppies to most recent junk; well worth the effort.

Germador

Legacy OS 2

#47 Post by Germador »

My first encounter was a bad burn. I resorted to having Legacy OS 1 in the IDE ROM and Legacy OS 2 in the SATA ROM. Legacy OS 1 tried to upgrade. My second encounter I redownloaded Legacy OS 2 and it looked like 2 instead of 1. I watched Sneeky's video to refresh myself. Instead of installing to a hard drive I did it to flash drive. After several attempts at a ext 2 I tried an ext 3 and it loaded. Still working on the etho 0 and etho 1. Flash upgraded through another IDE hard drive. Having trouble with grub. I had an easier time with Legacy OS 1.

john biles

#48 Post by john biles »

Hello Sage,
You have a way with words that always bring a smile to my face. I'm getting the feeling also that a PC with nothing fancy (Hardware) and with 1 or 2 Hard Drives with less then 8 Partitions in total is the best candidate for a successful install. My releases have always been created with a full install in mind. Yes you can run it live but the experience wouldn't be as enjoyable.

Hello Germador,
With Legacy OS 2 I focused on updated a number of apps and sytem files like ffmpeg etc. While the Installer was updated with easier to follow instructions, it still works like it did in the first Legacy. There should be no difference in installing both?

Sage

#49 Post by Sage »

You have a way with words...
Better than having away with ditto!

kjurkic

Legacy OS 2 in Virtualbox

#50 Post by kjurkic »

Hi all

Played with this puppy for a while trying many different settings to get to boot inside virtualbox4.x. No joy so far - it presents a black screen and no disk activity whatsoever when trying to set xorg. :(

Xvesa produces an illegible 8-color desktop, but no interaction.

So far I have changed disk types (ide/sata) bus types, processor VT acceleration on/off, PAE on/off, etc.

regards
Ken