Modem not recognized

Javelin Dan

Modem not recognized

#1 Post by Javelin Dan »

I'm trying to see if I can get PupDial to recognize my USR external 56K dial-up modem connected to my serial port. I don't yet have an ISP - I plan to go with Copper.net. and I spoke to a tech there who said that my configuration software should "shake hands"with the modem without an ISP, though I've seen forum blogs that said it is necessary. As it stands, I probe all the individual ports and get no results, but I'm told my "modem is present, but getting it to dial out may be another matter". I have the one power light lit on the modem, but no matter what I do, I can't get any of the other lights to lite. I can't remember where my dip switches are set, but I know they are in the default position USR says they should be for an initial probe. Does anyone have any suggestions?

L18L

Re: Modem not recognized

#2 Post by L18L »

Javelin Dan wrote:...
I'm told my "modem is present, but getting it to dial out may be another matter"
So your modem is being recognized.

The other matter is you need at least a phone number.
Or what do you expect by a phone when you have not dialed a number?

In pupdial you have to enter just
- Phone/access number
- Username
- Password

That is what I remember from the time when I was on dial-up.
Hope that helps

Javelin Dan

#3 Post by Javelin Dan »

Thanks L18l, I guess the next step is to bite the bullet and sign up for an ISP.

L18L

#4 Post by L18L »

:)
your choice of wary is a good choice.

tempestuous

#5 Post by tempestuous »

Javelin Dan wrote:USR external 56K dial-up modem connected to my serial port.
Any external modem connected a serial port will be a full-hardware modem, not a winmodem, and that's great. No driver is required! All Puppy needs to do is send out command strings to the correct serial port, which it does with the "pppd" and "wvdial" utilities, via the Internet Connection Wizard/Pupdial.

Javelin Dan wrote:I'm told my "modem is present
Puppy is seeing your modem on the serial port. You're good to go.