iPuppy and or Puppyroid, good or bad idea?

What features/apps/bugfixes needed in a future Puppy
puppyiso

iPuppy and or Puppyroid, good or bad idea?

#1 Post by puppyiso »

It seems like majority of people are interested in using puppy only for traditional dying dinosaur PCs.

Even windows 8 becomes more like tablet PC or smart pads.

Puppy on touch screen PMPs or cheap chinese made tablet pad would make sense since so many of the chinese people carrying those devices nowadays.

Puppy has to evolve to those mobile OS.

I have seen many related topics here but seems like no one really cares about.

There are pmps with android and I am wondering if I can use usb keyboard to type in.

Korean language pack is to download. I hope to see puppy os on the streets not only in some geeks' basements or attics.

Please enlighten me(or criticize me)

nooby

#2 Post by nooby »

Puppyiso I think something gets misunderstood here in this text

Puppy has to evolve to those mobile OS.

Puppy is what Barry makes it into. Derivates of Puppy gets done like each Dev wants it too.

Community versions gets done like the community wants it to.

Maybe that is what you talk about? Then you have to get attention from the community or individual Devs that share your view.

Such seems to follow social structures that one need to be good at to get going.

But maybe this post you made can be that ignition. I have no idea how one do such ignition. I also see the need for such things but I think it has to come from within the Dev spontaneously.

I saw a text some days ago that Ubuntu had joined some coopertation to get Ubuntu on ARM computers. But I was fighting my too frequent posting behavior so I decided to not post it and now I have no idea how to find that text again. Some linux conference in Asia?

So there is bigger chance if you look for such and then show how opuppy can use this Ubuntu code in a puppy way?
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

puppyiso

#3 Post by puppyiso »

Sometimes word cannot convey one's idea properly.

Sorry for giving you a little confusion. I meant it would be good to see puppylinux based mobile devices such as PMPs and tablet pad.

When I read posts in this forum, I feel very few people care about the "expandability".

As you might imagine, sitting and typing in front of fixed desktop keeps people basically sit and rot.

Even if one has to sit down and work, it is far better if the computer can be moved freely so we can smell some fresh air.

Notebook is not really mobile. You still need mouse.

A mobile puppy namely iPuppy would be nice.

Simple as that. Nothing more nothing less.

(Like you, I should cut down habitual posting and grab something other than mouse such as beer cup or something.)

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#4 Post by Lobster »

It seems like majority of people are interested in using puppy only for traditional dying dinosaur PCs.
Sometimes Puppy is run on a dinosaur and
the dinosaur turns into a bird and flys . . .
The old machine running faster than the relic. :wink:

Some people are very interested in running Puppy on
64 bit
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/Puppy64bit
multicore
and ARM
Some of these options exist with for example Fatdog64
and IcePuppy

There are problems with running on ARM as devices are different
and a developer, testers/user base will occur once a mass market product is adopted.
Compilers have mentioned that an Ipup ARM
should be relatively easy to create . . .

The 'Cloud' is a technology that is here.
It will be developed/invested in/marketed and this too is at an early stage
of adoption/interest. I don't like aspects of the cloud but other aspects are convenient. The perfect computer environment is not yet here . . .

Puppys are interested in phones, tablets, consoles - all sorts
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 676#360676
Some have even tried creating a 'distributed network' puppy
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

puppyiso

#5 Post by puppyiso »

Lobster, I am well aware of the linked post. I even left my thought there.

I know there is interest but not enough.

I am using rebuilt junk P4 1.6Ghz. It is huge. I have several PMPs at home and they are more powerful than the monster size P4.

I really wish Puppy ported to those PMPs or Pads (easily found here in not so developed land of communism).

Just consider one thing; used PCs are worth nothing when you try to sell it.

stu90

#6 Post by stu90 »

puppyiso wrote: Just consider one thing; used PCs are worth nothing when you try to sell it.
Well you could always install puppy on it and give it away free to friends or family - or donate it to a charity or workshop.

8)

Karl Godt

#7 Post by Karl Godt »

There are problems with running on ARM as devices are different
It seems , that replacing

config ARCH
string
option env="ARCH"

to

config ARM
string
option env="ARM"

in "init/Kconfig"

or whatever arch you desire might do it before kernel compiling to compile an ARM kernel .

Note : not tested yet .

nooby

#8 Post by nooby »

Karl that would be a good thing indeed.

I know nothing about Arch apart from me testing to boot Archiso and ArchBang and CKGArch or what name them have.

I know even less about ARM CPUs but I do know for sure that one have to compile for each different ARM CPUs and them are 9 different such?

Which of these does that Arch compiler handle and which ARM is most popular now on the China tablets and Smartphones?

I guess the Arch community know such things. I am too naive to be active on their forums. Them would get very upset with my naive questions.

Read the manual them would tell me.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though