Puppy alternative to Skype?

Using applications, configuring, problems
dogle

#16 Post by dogle »

Thanks to Sylvander for the link to the to the Wikipedia comparison chart - a very useful starting point.

Although I could probably live without encryption, maybe I would need the STUN network address translation facility .... does anyone here know for sure whether or not STUN is essential if your box does not have a fixed IP address, i.e. your address is allocated via DHCP ?

PaulBx1

#17 Post by PaulBx1 »

"it is silly to use inferior software for ideological reasons."
True, as far as that goes, but potentially being plugged into the state security apparatus can go beyond mere ideology. :)

Communication is important, and security is important. We should go open source if we can make it work. I have no incentive to use softphones otherwise; I'll just make a cell call instead.

It may not matter if ekiga has encryption, if zfone can work on top of it.

To me, the main features are encryption, and the ability to call land lines and cell phones, and interaction with other softphone clients as much as possible. I don't care about a lot of other features. I want it to do what I do with my cell phone already, as a baseline.

Sylvander

#18 Post by Sylvander »

"being plugged into the state security apparatus can go beyond mere ideology"
Exactly!
It was and is nothing to do with ideology.
If it were to be proposed that ALL of our sayings & doings are to be observable and observed...
All the way from those lowest to the highest...
I don't think I'd like it much.
I like private things to remain private.

And history has shown that those in the upper echelons of power are often the lowest of the low in terms of character and behaviour.
It's unwise to trust people just because they are the exalted ones.
[I've been watching TV programs about Adolf Hitler and his "henchmen"]

fratermus

#19 Post by fratermus »

Bert wrote:I've never used Ekiga, but from their website I get the impression calling landlines and mobile phones is available:
I do use Ekiga on my *buntu desktop, although I actually prefer the lighter Twinkle client much of the time.

Ekiga is referring to diamondcard.us when it mentions outbound calls, although any SIP-to-phone service would work. There is a hook to diamondcard in the Ekiga config and apparently diamondcard kicks back a bit of each ekiga-generated subscription to the project. The diamondcard site is ugly but exceptionally informative for subscribers. Setup was a bit of a pain; they wanted to voicecall me to verify the transaction but I was in museum with spotty cellphone reception at the time they called. I understand that is only necessary with the first fund addition.

I originally had a SkypeOut account ($36/yr unlimited to US) but use so few minutes that I could do it cheaper with diamondcard's per-minute rates ($0.016/min). The breakeven is something like 180 mins/month; more than that and SkypeOut was a better deal.

Then Google Talk came out with free outbound and so my remaining $15 diamondcard balance just sits there waiting for Google to start charging. When they do (and assuming it's more than the diamondcard rate) I'll start using the diamondcard service again.

I will add that I experienced some drops during longer calls with SkypeOut (around 20 mins) but none with diamondcard+ekiga that I can remember.
Eee 900 (16GB SSD), 2GB RAM, Puppy Linux 5.1.1

riccardo

Puppy Alternative to Skype

#20 Post by riccardo »

On my netbook I have Puppy (actually fluppy 013). On my desktop (in a separate partition) I have lucid Puppy ver. 5.2.8. Last time we went away from home I took the netbook with twinkle installed. This allowed me to make nationwide calls to home phones at VOIP rates. The result (even when the link featured wifi and satellite parts) was acceptable sound quality. Sometimes there were brief dropouts.

Now I want to reinstall Twinkle o my desktop ... and I have discovered that Twinkle has disappeared! I could compile Twinkle from source ... but that would require lots of extra bits ... like gcc. However, the twinkle pet I used before is no longer available on this forum Can I request that it be once again made available for voip enthusiasts??

I won't commit to Skype although I do have an account. Something about its modusoperandi worries me ... and I don't want to put more money into Microsoft coffers.

riccardo
--
Richard Jenkins
Canberra, AUSTRALIA
++++++++++++++++

Sylvander

#21 Post by Sylvander »

ariel

#22 Post by ariel »

sometimes innovation is only a travesty of itself. why on earth should I be pushed to stick with an external server when PCs can make a direct connection?

have a look at these applications that were developed some time ago but that could top the charts against skype & C just like that

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 21&t=30458

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... ba2#532486

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#23 Post by Lobster »

PSIP is built into Puppy :)
It has potential for direct coms.
It is being upgraded. Help and testers/users welcome
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 447#554447
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

greengeek

#24 Post by greengeek »

Lobster wrote:PSIP is built into Puppy :)
It has potential for direct coms.
It is being upgraded. Help and testers/users welcome
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 447#554447
Was the direct coms ever successfully tested? or does puppy require a SIP server in the middle?

Smithy

#25 Post by Smithy »

Wasn't IP6 supposed to fix all this?
the premise being that the world ran out of IP numbers, so network address translation was introduced. But then it caused all this trouble with direct ip to ip.

What we need is a "thing" that opens up in Puppy and becomes a server with a number and then closes down again, as part of a communications app.

Skype has got all that infrastructure in its network, which is why it is number one.
And it usually just "works".

Much prefer Linphone, but it won't do what Skype does for tricky connections and routers.

mikeb

#26 Post by mikeb »

forum mail fail....
Last edited by mikeb on Mon 08 Dec 2014, 11:58, edited 1 time in total.

mikeb

#27 Post by mikeb »

Hmm MS skype forcing new operating systems has blown the dust off this one...its what MS buy up companies for usually or hide technology that may make windows run for longer.. Google bought youtube to sell android tablets...they all do it.

I did try psip 0.25 I think it was...it worked.... it got around me being behind a router no problem/no tweaking and sounded just fine.
I tested via linphone's proxy.

As far as i can tell apart from skype and probably google which has pulled sip(??) support anyway if you are logged into any other proxy they all interconnect like as with jabber...so potentially a very large network. A quick test seems to verify that but further confirmation needed...in other words mike@ekiga.org can chat with mike@sip.linphone.org ..addresses changed to protect the innocent.
Some proxies do support landline connects for a fee of course and video support is up to the client.

As for psip it seemed to need GUI improvement in the main.
Not tried linphone yet to see what its router behavoiur is like.
x-lite version 3 is the best windows client I found...well the friendliest anyway.

Did not try peer to peer but then hunting for yer ip can be a pain unless you use say dyndns...which is now a pain anyway...the proxies made more sense.

Just thought I would chime in since its a recent topic for me.

mike

watchdog

#28 Post by watchdog »

I think Hello in firefox 34.0 on webrtc based is going to make outdated all other solutions. It makes sense to use psip, skype, googletalk, linphone,... only to voip call to telephone numbers.

mikeb

#29 Post by mikeb »

I suppose the 1fps of html5/webm will rock the world lol.

Well not like peer to peer is something new...we chatted on yahoo years ago..... voip IS for phone call use... via a proxy does give a form of phone number that guessing the ip does not. Don't see the next browser gadget changing that... and more excuses for javascript stuffing as if browsers are not bogged down already...unless you feel that a quad core is minimum requirement to view a web page :D

Someone mentioned flying drones replacing the postal service.... then we all woke up in our cornflakes...

mike

watchdog

#30 Post by watchdog »

@mikeb

I also feed old puppies and old softwares. I like my old puppies and I'm happy when I can use them to do the same things I do with newer ones. But there is no need to stick using old softwares when newer ones work well or better with your hardware. I think the browser is the core of the OS and there are good reasons to update it when it's possible. A week ago my laptop crashed. No worry: I have other 4-5 laptops and 4-5 netbooks: they all have at least 1 Gb ram, they all work well or better with recent kernels and puppies. I have destroyed all older hardware. If you have not good reasons to stick with old softwares try the newer ones. No need to use alfa or beta quality softwares. There are new softwares at release quality. Or have you a lot of old hardware you don't want to put into trash? I remember that BK before retiring suggested precise as the main puppy for old hardware: I cried because I loved wary. :D

mikeb

#31 Post by mikeb »

shame no one is rushing to update the forum software and the hardware its on :D

more mail failures...
Last edited by mikeb on Mon 08 Dec 2014, 20:45, edited 1 time in total.

mikeb

#32 Post by mikeb »

I was thinking of the bastardized h264 webm codec from google...bleeding awfully inefficient. Also this stuff has been around for years in various forms so all I see is the browser bogged down trying to play another game while failing to do its main job that efficiently already. I update hardware/software when its worthwhile...at the moment what I have causes no headaches and updates do....show me a genuine improvement and I am in there...always used to otherwise I would be using a HP kayak from 1996 still.

Well my main point was peer to peer chat from a browser or whatever is not the same as voip with its included ability to connect to landlines and mobiles and even skype with its recent fudgelings appears to be as popular as ever.

Would I dump my bicycle for that shiny new skateboard over there?

mike

mikeb

#33 Post by mikeb »

New software.... pointless bloat while removing useful features and replacing with daft ones and all the bugs that come with that.

New OS.... linux is a joke...cannot stick to one method for 5 minutes....same results as point above.

Windows....well the jokes on us...actually 7 is the best of the new bunch and I suspect thats why MS seem to be hiding that fact that it exists at all like they did with 2000...it hurts them when they do something well or so they think. It also happily co exists with whatever else you fancy and runs fine on modest older hardware....probably my system of the future when it happens.

Hardware 2008+ uses lead free solder...doomed to early failure.

Something brand new...learn to love windows 8 and have fun finding drivers for anything older.... might as well get a tablet instead.

Don't have the urge to migrate from reliable hardware and software really..... if it ain't broke, use it for years and save a fortune...and have creative fun.

mike

watchdog

#34 Post by watchdog »

You have to be flexible and to adapt to your environment. Websites out there do not like old browsers and the rendering problems are a pain. If your friend uses skype you have to use skype to chat with him. My Church group uses whatsapp: I installed it on a tablet and use airdroid 3.0 to chat with them from puppy pc. "If the mountain does not go to Mohammed, Mohammed goes to the mountain...". If it is possible to chat only using a browser I think it is a good thing.

mikeb

#35 Post by mikeb »

I am....been testing out seamonkey 2.9.1 ...seems to sort any rendering problems I have...no need for any bloat bunnies yet.

So mohammad and the church mixing it up eh ;)

Well I think its a bit crap having a browser wash the dishes too....

I have no friends so solves the skype problem.... change only happens when someone makes them or makes a stand.... I guess I make a poor sheep... :D

mike

ps you never know you might get a mail notification.