Openbox/Fbpanel, How to set it all up.

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
steve_s

#76 Post by steve_s »

johnywhy wrote:hi, i'm running FbBox-2.0_32Bit.pet on top of TahrPup. Generally seems to work well. Thx for that!

But, then i installed pcmanfm_1.2.0-1_i386.deb , and cannot get it to run.

It seemed to install ok, and it's available in the "Run" box, but nothing runs when i launch it.

i checked its dependencies with ListDD-Packages, and saw it's missing libfm and libfmgtk. So i installed the closest i could find in package manager, but got a whole bunch of failed downloads. Plz see screenshots. (i recently updated my repositories)

Any suggestions for getting PCManFM running on FbBox?

thx!
I got it running by searching rpm pbone site for each library, downloading the rpm that it recomends (make sure it is the version you need, either 64 bit or i586 or whatever), unpack it then copy the needed libraries (usually it's two, a symlink and a library file) to /usr/lib. Yeah, on mine there were like four missing libraries. Now it runs just fine.

But this post may be too old for what you want, but I hope it helps. 8)

666philb

#77 Post by 666philb »

Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

steve_s

Re: Set wallpaper with openbox pipemenu.

#78 Post by steve_s »

stu90 wrote:Here is a mini guide and the scripts needed to add a pipe menu to openbox that will display all .jpg and .png images in a directory as a menu entry and then apply which ever is selected as a desktop wallpaper.

First download the two scripts at the bottom of this post - then right click > rename and delete the fake .gz extension for both scripts.
Now right click on each script > properties and tick the three boxes under the Exec column - this makes the scripts executable.
If you open this script as text near the top you will see

setwalle script:
This is the script that sets the background wallpaper - move this to /usr/bin

wallp.sh script:
This is the script that generates the openbox pipe menu - move this to /etc/xdg/openbox/scripts
(if you don't have a scripts directory there create one then put wallp.sh inside it.)
If you open this script as text near the top is:
WALLDIR="/usr/share/backgrounds"
This is the directory the script looks in for wallpapers - if your wallpapers are stored in a different directory delete the path between to two quote marks and enter the path to you own wallpaper directory.
WALLDIR="/path/to/my/wallpapers"

This next part can be quite tricky as we now need to add to the main openbox menu the new wallpaper pipe menu.

Code: Select all

<menu execute="/etc/xdg/openbox/scripts/wallp.sh" id="wallp-menu" label="Wallpapers"/>
/etc/xdg/openbox/menu_top.xml
/etc/xdg/openbox/menu_bottom.xml
/etc/xdg/openbox/menu.xml

These are the three files you could add the new pipe menu to - i have added mine to /etc/xdg/openbox/menu_top.xml
Navigate to this file and open as text - then paste the code above on the line above this one:
<menu id="root-menu" label="Puppy Linux">
Now save the file and open a terminal window and enter the command fixmenus

If all has gone well you should now have a new menu that lists all your wallpapers and when you click on one it should be applied as you desktop wallpaper.
Got it to go.

Used the info from this one and set up that menu then added the info from this one to the new menu.xml.

thanks to stu90 for all the posted info and to DaveS for the work on Openbox. 8)