Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Tue 23 Dec 2014, 00:41
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » HOWTO ( Solutions )
Openbox/Fbpanel, How to set it all up.
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 2 of 5 [72 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Next
DaveS

PostPosted: Sat 11 Jun 2011, 02:24    Post subject:  

SimpleWater wrote:
Can i get some help? I seem to be having difficulties. I followed the instructions carefully but my custom profile does not stay put on re-start. So when i re-start X and as a well as fresh boot, my profile is loaded for a brief moment., but then it switches to the default. Executing the script will enable it and make it stay, but why can't i have it on boot? I believe it has the same effect if i put in .xinitrc

OK, lets get into it. Which Puppy are you running? Which profile do you mean, fbpanel? Are you loading a default profile + a launcher profile, or just a default type profile for a system tray at the top or bottom of your screen?
The fault is being caused by a double load event, we just have to track it down...............

01micko

PostPosted: Sat 11 Jun 2011, 03:05    Post subject:  

Really nice tut DaveS Smile

I just installed your fbpanel pet and openbox from Salix in my spup-121.02 and it looks real nice.. need to ditch the lupu start icon tho! Laughing

I made a more generic wmswitcher which will work in most recent pups. Attached. (It handles kde4 too)
wmsw.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   34.21 KB
 Viewed   9013 Time(s)

wmsw.jpg

wmswitcher-0.17.pet
Description 
pet

Download 
Filename  wmswitcher-0.17.pet 
Filesize  15.66 KB 
Downloaded  683 Time(s) 

DaveS

PostPosted: Sat 11 Jun 2011, 11:49    Post subject:  

01micko wrote:
Really nice tut DaveS Smile

I just installed your fbpanel pet and openbox from Salix in my spup-121.02 and it looks real nice.. need to ditch the lupu start icon tho! Laughing

I made a more generic wmswitcher which will work in most recent pups. Attached. (It handles kde4 too)

Sweet....... Will give it a try.

SimpleWater

PostPosted: Sat 11 Jun 2011, 15:56    Post subject:  

DaveS wrote:

OK, lets get into it. Which Puppy are you running? Which profile do you mean, fbpanel? Are you loading a default profile + a launcher profile, or just a default type profile for a system tray at the top or bottom of your screen?
The fault is being caused by a double load event, we just have to track it down...............

Lucid puppy 5.2.5 on full HD. Fbpanel profile named "launchbar". Default profile + launcher profile. Was i supposed to delete the default profile?
DaveS

PostPosted: Sat 11 Jun 2011, 16:30    Post subject:  

SimpleWater wrote:
DaveS wrote:

Lucid puppy 5.2.5 on full HD. Fbpanel profile named "launchbar". Default profile + launcher profile. Was i supposed to delete the default profile?

OK, here is the problem: for some strange reason, Lucid runs 'fixmenus' at boot. It is running this AFTER your fbpanel is loaded, and basically closing it and re-loading just the default. The simplest way to fix this is to go in to /root/startup, right click on the file called 'run_fixmenus', select 'properties ' from the pop-up menu, and uncheck the three boxes under the exec heading. This will fix it for you Smile It is also simple to reverse should you ever want to.

SimpleWater

PostPosted: Sat 11 Jun 2011, 16:48    Post subject:  

DaveS wrote:

OK, here is the problem: for some strange reason, Lucid runs 'fixmenus' at boot. It is running this AFTER your fbpanel is loaded, and basically closing it and re-loading just the default. The simplest way to fix this is to go in to /root/startup, right click on the file called 'run_fixmenus', select 'properties ' from the pop-up menu, and uncheck the three boxes under the exec heading. This will fix it for you Smile It is also simple to reverse should you ever want to.

Cool Yes it did fix it, thank you. Might also be a good idea to include that in your tutorial for Lucid users
DaveS

PostPosted: Sat 11 Jun 2011, 16:50    Post subject:  

SimpleWater wrote:
DaveS wrote:

Cool Yes it did fix it, thank you. Might also be a good idea to include that in your tutorial for Lucid users

I think you are right Smile

James C

PostPosted: Sat 11 Jun 2011, 17:03    Post subject:  

01micko wrote:

Just installed your wmswitcher pet on my Spup KDE install....... works great. Smile
gcmartin

PostPosted: Sat 11 Jun 2011, 23:14    Post subject:  

DaveS wrote:
SimpleWater wrote:
DaveS wrote:

OK, here is the problem: for some strange reason ... simple to reverse should you ever want to.

I think you are right Smile
  • Consideration of this for Live Media users?
  • Is there updated instructions for a satisfactory experience?
  • Is there a change in Woof that's required?
Hope this helps

DaveS

PostPosted: Sun 12 Jun 2011, 03:09    Post subject:  

KNOWN ISSUES

Spup

Openbox cannot create a root menu
This is because there are som little scripts missing from Spup1 needed by fixmenus. If you want Openbox to create a root menu (this is the same menu that you get when you click the menu icon in fbpanel, the normal Puppy menu) when you right click on a blank area of desktop, just install the openboxrootmenu.pet below., and run 'fixmenus' in terminal.
If you do this, you will NOT be able to use the custom shortcut menu, BUT I have included a customisable shortcut section in the new menu that will not be overwritten by fixmenus.

When root menu issue is corrected, custom right click menu is overwritten
This is unavoidable, so I have included a customisable shortcut menu in the root menu. Just click the 'shortcuts' item to access your shortcuts. The second item, 'edit shortcuts', loads the editable section into Geany to allow editing. Again it is extensively annotated with examples to get you started. To activate it, run 'fixmenus' from the terminal after your edits.

Thanks to 01Micko for a custom window manager switcher here
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=533037#533037

Lucid

Custom menu does not survive re-boot
See next post down
Custom fbpanel profile not loaded after boot
Quick fix here http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=533280#533280, (Thanks to SimpleWater for pointing this up).
More to follow.
openboxrootmenu.pet
Description 
pet

Download 
Filename  openboxrootmenu.pet 
Filesize  12.56 KB 
Downloaded  451 Time(s) 

Last edited by DaveS on Wed 15 Jun 2011, 17:52; edited 3 times in total
DaveS

PostPosted: Sun 12 Jun 2011, 03:14    Post subject:  

To get the above menu working in Lucid, along with the section you can edit, install the .pet below, and run 'fixmenus' from the terminal. Each time you edit it, you will need to run 'fixmenus' to see your changes.
lucidmenu.pet
Description 
pet

Download 
Filename  lucidmenu.pet 
Filesize  1.13 KB 
Downloaded  428 Time(s) 

Last edited by DaveS on Wed 15 Jun 2011, 17:52; edited 1 time in total
SimpleWater

PostPosted: Sun 12 Jun 2011, 17:30    Post subject:  

DaveS wrote:
There is a default configuration, called of course, default. This is the file that the GUI configures, and you CANNOT edit it by hand, your changes will just be over ridden at boot.

I tested this out and my changes were not over ridden. Neither re-starting x or re-starting the computer over rid anything. This is actually good news of course. For example, installing a pet with a menu entry means it will run "fixmenus", which means it will remove your fbpanel setup. With the default profile, i assume that will not happen since it is the default of course. It is also recommended on their site.

http://fbpanel.sourceforge.net/docs.html wrote:
Configuring
fbpanel stores its configurations in ~/.config/fbpanel directory. Every profile is represented by a single text file with a same name. Name of default profile is default. Edit relevant file and restart fbpanel. You can also tell running fbpanel to reload its configuration by sending it USR1 signal.
DaveS

PostPosted: Mon 13 Jun 2011, 00:35    Post subject:  

SimpleWater wrote:

I tested this out and my changes were not over ridden. Neither re-starting x or re-starting the computer over rid anything.

You think? Try adding a fifth launcher, run fixmenus, and see what happens Smile
I changed the wording in the original post to be a little clearer.

alecyoar

PostPosted: Mon 13 Jun 2011, 09:12    Post subject: A simple question  

Hello! Can I do it the same process in wary puppy 5.1.2. ? I'm a new linux user and a next ex XP user...Wink regards
DaveS

PostPosted: Mon 13 Jun 2011, 10:20    Post subject: Re: A simple question  

alecyoar wrote:
Hello! Can I do it the same process in wary puppy 5.1.2. ? I'm a new linux user and a next ex XP user...Wink regards

I have never tried with Wary, but there is a good chance it will all be ok. If you try and get stuck, I will download wary tomorrow and see if I can figure it out.

Page 2 of 5 [72 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Next
 Forum index » House Training » HOWTO ( Solutions )
Jump to: