Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Tue 21 Oct 2014, 20:36
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Bugs ( Submit bugs )
Bad bug, JWM + Firefox 4/5, Seamonkey 2.1*, Opera 11[solved]
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
Page 1 of 2 Posts_count   Goto page: 1, 2 Next
DaveS

PostPosted: Thu 26 May 2011, 00:35    Post_subject:  Bad bug, JWM + Firefox 4/5, Seamonkey 2.1*, Opera 11[solved]  

Problem relates to the latest Mozilla browsers, Firefox 4*/5* and Seamonkey 2.1*
With those, activating full screen works as expected via the F11 toggle, but there is NO WAY BACK Sad Stuck in full screen forever Smile
SM 2.0.* is still fine, and probably FF 3.6*, though I have not tested it. They all work fine in OpenBox, so my guess is its a JWM bug.
For the future, this is a showstopper.

Edit: 28/09/11 JWM is now updated to fix this. Grab the new binary from here http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=568235#568235

Edited_time_total
wuwei

PostPosted: Thu 26 May 2011, 01:29    Post_subject:  

At this post
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=67444&start=285

01Micko wrote:

Quote:
Just an update on the F11/FF/SM/jwm bug.

If you press F11 once it goes to fullscreen. Press it twice it does nothing but flicker screen, then you are stuck. Don't press it the second time and just close the browser then next time you open it it's ok.

Maybe, yet when I do F11 in JWM and FF5 the browser window goes to full screen (as it should), but there is no function anywhere to "close the browser". Strg+Alt+backspace closes X and when restarted the browser is closed. Restart of the browser opens it at normal size.
DaveS

PostPosted: Thu 26 May 2011, 03:26    Post_subject:  

wuwei wrote:
At this post
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=67444&start=285

01Micko wrote:

Quote:
Just an update on the F11/FF/SM/jwm bug.

If you press F11 once it goes to fullscreen. Press it twice it does nothing but flicker screen, then you are stuck. Don't press it the second time and just close the browser then next time you open it it's ok.

Maybe, yet when I do F11 in JWM and FF5 the browser window goes to full screen (as it should), but there is no function anywhere to "close the browser". Strg+Alt+backspace closes X and when restarted the browser is closed. Restart of the browser opens it at normal size.

Alt + F4 is the shortcut key combination to close the browser (or pretty much any other focused window)

wuwei

PostPosted: Thu 26 May 2011, 04:44    Post_subject:  

Thanks Dave

shows that one never stops to learn.

I'll remember that the next time.
DaveS

PostPosted: Thu 26 May 2011, 06:37    Post_subject:  

wuwei wrote:
Thanks Dave

shows that one never stops to learn.

I'll remember that the next time.

Its often quicker and easier than messin' with the mouse Smile

pemasu

PostPosted: Thu 26 May 2011, 17:09    Post_subject:  

Quote from the Ice Puppy thread.
Quote:
I installed Firefox 5.0b2 and it does not have a problem with F11
abushcrafter

PostPosted: Wed 01 Jun 2011, 18:54    Post_subject:  

pemasu wrote:
Quote from the Ice Puppy thread.
Quote:
I installed Firefox 5.0b2 and it does not have a problem with F11
No its not fixed. It's the same problem in v4. Fine to begin with but after ones installs addons like FlashGet it won't exit full screen.
BarryK
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Thu 02 Jun 2011, 05:04    Post_subject:  

Would one of you guys mind contacting Joe, the JWM developer, and report this?

I think that he has a bug-reporter, not sure, but he does definitely have an email address.

Ah, yes, he does have a bug tracker:
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=157836&atid=805416

But posting there might not get his attention. Um, let's see, yes, I do have his email address:

joewingATjoewingDOTnet

BarryK
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Thu 02 Jun 2011, 05:08    Post_subject:  

Ha ha, while you are doing that, could you raise another issue with him?:

When we install a package, Puppy runs "jwm -restart" to rebuild the menu, which causes a big screen flicker. It would be nicer if there was a commandline option to rebuild the menu only, not completely restart jwm, something like "jwm -rebuildmenu" -- then we would not get the flicker.

DaveS

PostPosted: Thu 02 Jun 2011, 05:15    Post_subject:  

BarryK wrote:
Would one of you guys mind contacting Joe, the JWM developer, and report this?

I think that he has a bug-reporter, not sure, but he does definitely have an email address.

Ah, yes, he does have a bug tracker:
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=157836&atid=805416

But posting there might not get his attention. Um, let's see, yes, I do have his email address:

joewingATjoewingDOTnet

Barry, Mick0 reported this to Joe the day I posted this. I added the post to allow Joe to track anything we might come up with.....

Bruce B

PostPosted: Thu 02 Jun 2011, 08:01    Post_subject:  

BarryK wrote:
~

Barry,

I'm using Lupu 5.20 with JWM and Firefox 3.6 and the F11 works perfect - it toggles Full-Screen and Normal.

My installation is different that most Puppy users insofar as ROX-Filer doesn't manage my desktop or run except when I want it.

The menus, desktop, wallpaper, taskbar and all shortcut keys are 100% JWM.

Bruce

~

DaveS

PostPosted: Thu 02 Jun 2011, 08:56    Post_subject:  

Bruce B wrote:
BarryK wrote:
~

Barry,

I'm using Lupu 5.20 with JWM and Firefox 3.6 and the F11 works perfect - it toggles Full-Screen and Normal.

My installation is different that most Puppy users insofar as ROX-Filer doesn't manage my desktop or run except when I want it.

The menus, desktop, wallpaper, taskbar and all shortcut keys are 100% JWM.

Bruce

~

Bruce.. the bug showed up with FF4* and SM2.1*
Nice to know 3 series is unaffected.

bc272

PostPosted: Sun 12 Jun 2011, 18:37    Post_subject: bug appeared in 4.01
Sub_title: about the full screen f11 that won't go back to regular screen

Ocassional blogger w/puppy, Presario 366mhz, HD Puppy 4.3.1 Just today 6/12/11 firefox updated itself to 4.01. Having same trouble as described in this forum (never thought I'd find actual admission as was hard to find talk of it) with f11 and full screen can't go back. Puppy flawless other wise and hd install no problems.

Reading comments tried the hit f11 key once or twice till screen flickers from the advice above in this page where you then see part of desktop , it goes back the way it was, then you exit, then you restart firefox and it is regular screen.

Now it seams if you hold f11 down a couple seconds it returned the menu bar. It didn't do that before, but the symbols: minus/fit to screen/plus on upper right disappears when menu appears. I can still shut it down with Ctrl + Q, and was shutting it down before with X, no status bar before to right click either so that was out but appears now.

Saw other advice to right click a tool bar to get out of full screen, but didn't see word in drop down they said should be there.

This problem fixed itself after a time before when it auto upgraded to 4.0, ran great for a while and I bragged on it, then couldn't access desktop or any other file while the browser was running, prefer my own bookmark file, maybe look something up. That was the main thing, and couldn't get hot key to work for bookmark (Ctrl + D), symbols: no go regular screen, or downsize screen--make smaller--or just move out of way, but Good News is, today it it [b]has run fast again [/b like it did the first few days of 4.0, that's great. Been very slow last couple weeks and thought had something to do with the cyber attacks of late possibly. It's working fast now with a menu bar.
This is only browser that worked good for me in Puppy. Still has unresponsive script at msnbc.msn.com but that hasn't been bad.

So there is a bug but maybe try holding down f1 for like 2 seconds, or my other idea was to put my key files to access available on the url bar with icon, that would work too. Tried to describe this so it may be easier to fix, happened a couple months ago as I said. javascript:emoticon('Smile')
01micko

PostPosted: Mon 11 Jul 2011, 22:22    Post_subject:  

Hmmm..

this bug is weird.

If I delete /root/.mozilla then the bug goes away alltogether. I reckon it's something to do with the legacy stuff I have been putting in /root (fontsize, homepage etc) and it seems to bork these newer mozilla browsers.EDIT: On further experimentation, the bug comes back after awhile, so deleting /root/.mozilla solves nothing, so in conclusion it is not the hard coded puppy stuff affecting anything.

Do not delete /root/.mozilla for the following work around

If you suffer the bug then bind a key to "jwm -restart", that "fixes" it in that you don't have to restart X and you wont lose work.

Here's what I do in /root/.jwm/jwmrc-personal
Code:
<Key mask="A" key="F5">restart</Key>

then restart jwm through menu or manually.

When you are stuck in full screen hit Alt-F5 (sometimes twice) and the jwm title bar returns allowing you to minimise the browser at least.

Edited_times_total
Bruce B

PostPosted: Mon 11 Jul 2011, 22:35    Post_subject:  

01micko wrote:
Hmmm..

this bug is weird.

If I delete /root/.mozilla then the bug goes away alltogether. I reckon it's something to do with the legacy stuff I have been putting in /root (fontsize, homepage etc) and it seems to bork these newer mozilla browsers.

If you suffer the bug then bind a key to "jwm -restart", that "fixes" it in that you don't have to restart X and you wont lose work.

Here's what I do in /root/.jwm/jwmrc-personal
Code:
<Key mask="A" key="F5">restart</Key>

then restart jwm through menu or manually.

The way I read what you are saying think like this

1) delete /root/.mozilla
2) when firefox restarts it makes a new /root/.mozilla
3) the bug is fixed.

I word it this way to see if this is correct understanding or if not let you add, subtract or modify.

~

Display_posts:   Sort by:   
Page 1 of 2 Posts_count   Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
 Forum index » House Training » Bugs ( Submit bugs )
Jump to:  

Rules_post_cannot
Rules_reply_cannot
Rules_edit_cannot
Rules_delete_cannot
Rules_vote_cannot
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum