FONTS-4-PUPPY -- The Fonts Pool For Puppy

Talk about and post software packages known to work or packaged for Puppy.
maik.murks

#61 Post by maik.murks »

----------------------------------------------------------
The 'magic sentence' and other ones
----------------------------------------------------------

The 'magic sentence' described here and used in every font posting so far is rather a test sentence than a magic sentence. But this sentence has some magic inside. The magic is that this sentence uses every character of the alphabet at least one time.

Sentences which uses once at least every character of the alphabet a language is based on are called ‚pangrams‘. Since there are existing different languages you can find several different pangrams, too. The mostly well known and famous pangram is: The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog. Pangrams are often used for testing in the communications engineering and in the data communication and transmitting. And they are often used to check out if a font really includes all the characters you need if you decide to use this font. Moreover, sentences like these are showing the look of a font in a very much better way than for example this here ‚abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz‘. Simply because ‚The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog‘ has pretty much more to do with the reality of using a font than ‚abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz‘. So, pangrams are very good for testing fonts.
And by the way, if you read a pangram the contents of this sentence mostly doesn‘t make much sense - only the presence of all characters of the alphabet in only one sentence.

And there we are. Different languages - different needs when using a font - different pangrams (and other sentences similar to pangrams).

Here comes a small starting list of pangrams (and similar sentences) in different languages for use as a test for fonts you like to use. And I hope this list will grow. So, if you know another pangram or similar magic sentence, which should be part of the list beyond, please be so kind and post this sentence (inclusiv a translation into english in case you post a sentence in a foreign language) in this thread. And I‘ll add your sentence to our list pangrams and other magic sentences.

Pangrams and other magic sentences
------------------------------------------------------------

English:

The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog.
(Characteristics of this text: It‘s a pangram, the worlds famous one, all characters in one sentence)

Jackdaws love my big sphinx of quartz.
(Characteristics of this text: Another english pangram, not as famous as the first one)

German:

Zwölf Boxkämpfer jagen Viktor quer über den großen Sylter Deich.
(Characteristics of this text: Most famous german pangram with all characters inclusiv the german special ones)
(Attempt of an translation: Twelve boxers are chasing Viktor across over the big dyke of Sylt.)

Franz jagt im komplett verwahrlosten Taxi quer durch Bayern.
(Characteristics of this text: Most famous german pangram with all characters without the german special ones)
(Attempt of an translation: Franz speeds across Bavaria in a completely shabby taxi.)

Polish:

Mężny bądź, chroń pułk twój i sześć flag.
(Characteristics of this text: Polish pangram with all 32 characters of the polish alphabet inclusiv the polish special ones)
(Attempt of an translation: Be brave, protect your regiment and the six flags.)

Pchnąć w tę łódź jeża lub ośm skrzyń fig.
(Characteristics of this text: Another polish pangram with all characters of the polish alphabet inclusiv the special ones)
(Attempt of an translation: Push a hedgehog into the boat or eight boxes of figs.)

Zażółć gęślą jaźń.
(Characteristics of this text: Not a real pangram but the shortest polish text including all polish special characters)
(Attempt of an translation: Yellowing the self with a lute.)

French:

Voyez le brick géant que j’examine près du wharf.
(Characteristics of this text: Mostly used french test text)
(Attempt of an translation: Look, the giant brig that I‘m exploring in the near of the quay.)

Portez ce vieux whisky au juge blond qui fume.
(Characteristics of this text: Another often used french test text)
(Attempt of an translation: Carry this old whisky to the blond smoking judge.)

Russian:

Съешь ещё
Last edited by maik.murks on Tue 05 Jul 2011, 10:34, edited 16 times in total.

maik.murks

#62 Post by maik.murks »

-----------------------------------------
Something about licenses
-----------------------------------------

All fonts I've posted here so far should be generally licensed under open source licenses. In particular these licenses are the following as far as I know.

SIL Open Font License (V1.1) http://scripts.sil.org/OFL
Apache License (V2.0) http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0.html

No font I've posted here is a ‚payware' font.

The only font, that is something special is the first font, which I've found somewhere while stumbling through the internet as you can read here http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 451#525451 and here http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 046#526046. But nevertheless, this font is no ‚payware‘ font.

Moreover, if I have no idea for example, on which kind of license structure a particular font is based on, then you should find an appropriate remark or a note in the relating posting of the particular font.

From time to time and/or if it is necessary this posting will be updated/expanded/extended/upgraded or something like that.

That's it for now.

Cheers :wink:

Maik.Murks

{ f4p2info4v }
Last edited by maik.murks on Tue 05 Jul 2011, 10:35, edited 8 times in total.

maik.murks

#63 Post by maik.murks »

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Some more informations if they are comming
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Optional tools dealing with fonts
--------------------------------------------------
In addition to the 4th posting on page 1 (Some Simple Tools If Needed) here is a list for optional tools dealing with fonts. All of these tools are rather small than big, but all of these tools need some additional thingy installed to make them usable.

Opcion: Opcion is a tool for viewing fonts, but not only for fonts being installed. Opcion is also able to show the fonts of a CD for example or the fonts copied to your USB stick as another example. Opcion needs Java to work. For more informations about Opcion and for download klick here.

FontBrowser: FontBrowser is an online fonts viewer showing you the fonts installed on your system only. You can make FontBrowser to be an offline tool by saveing the FontBrowser page somewere to your system. The only file needed for showing your fonts offline is the .swf file. FontBrowser needs Flash to work. For more informations about FontBrowser and for download klick here.

Fontasia: Fontasia is a tool showing you the fonts installed on your system on one hand. On the other hand lets Fontasia you manually categorize your installed fonts in named groups. It‘s up to you to name your font groups as you like. Fontasia needs Python to work. For more informations about Fontasia and for download klick here.

Pfont2: Pfont2 is a small tool made by vovchik. Pfont2 shows you the fonts being installed on your system, if you like. Furthermore Pfont2 is able to show you fonts being not installed yet via a preview button. Moreover, if you feel not be able to put fonts into the sytem directory for fonts of your Puppy as described here (Topic --> How to install Truetype fonts into your Puppy) for example, Pfont2 supports you with an own install button. For more informations about Pfont2 and for download klick here. (K0708)

This list will be expanded if it is advisable.

That's it for now.

Maik.Murks

{ f4p2info4v f4p2thingy }
Last edited by maik.murks on Fri 08 Jul 2011, 18:04, edited 7 times in total.

maik.murks

#64 Post by maik.murks »

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Links of fonts collections posted here in this thread
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Since one of the intentions of this thread is to share some useful fonts one by one in a special manner as mentioned here and here and there, there is not much free space to deal with fonts collections within this thread.

Well, in fact this is my thread, but this thread is not for me - it‘s for you - for all of you. You should find this thread usable. However, it seems to be that there is some interest in fonts collections. And because of that, I think it could be a good idea, to spend some space for fonts collections. So, if someone posts direct links to useful fonts collections, I‘ll collect these links and put them all together in this place. And please post direct links only, because indirect links such as to another posting of one of these forums, which points to another posting and so on and so forth - as those indirect links will be ignored. Thank you for your understanding.

Since I don‘t know which kind of licensing is the basis for dealing with the fonts of the fonts collections that you can probably get via the links above, you have to find it out by yourself - if you like.

So, here is some space left for some fonts collections in form of a list of links with reference to the original poster within this thread.

That's it for now.

Maik.Murks

The fonts collections
--------------------------------
### http://www.webpagepublicity.com/free-fo ... #FreeFonts ### Thanks to the poster for providing this link here for the 1st time in this thread. ###

###

{ f4p2info4v }
Last edited by maik.murks on Tue 05 Jul 2011, 10:39, edited 9 times in total.

maik.murks

#65 Post by maik.murks »

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Links of fonts packs posted here in this thread
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Since one of the intentions of this thread is to share some useful fonts one by one in a special manner as mentioned here and here and there, there is not much free space to deal with fonts packages within this thread.

Well, in fact this is my thread, but this thread is not for me - it‘s for you - for all of you. You should find this thread usable. However, it seems to be that there is some interest in fonts packages. And because of that, I think it could be a good idea, to spend some space for fonts packages. So, if someone posts direct links to useful fonts packages, I‘ll collect these links and put them all together in this place. And please post direct links only, because indirect links such as to another posting of one of these forums, which points to another posting and so on and so forth - as those indirect links will be ignored. Thank you for your understanding.

Since I don‘t know which kind of licensing is the basis for dealing with the fonts of the fonts packages that you can probably get via the links above, you have to find it out by yourself - if you like.

So, here is some space left for some fonts packages in form of a list of links with reference to the original poster within this thread.

That's it for now.

Maik.Murks

The fonts packages
-------------------------------

No fonts packages present so far.

{ f4p2info4v }
Last edited by maik.murks on Tue 05 Jul 2011, 10:42, edited 7 times in total.

maik.murks

#66 Post by maik.murks »

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Something like a pinboard or a bulletin board of this thread
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This area is parted into different sections. It‘s like a big wall with different pinboards put on it. In the course of time the number of sections could/should grow.
Each section has a number of topics. It‘s like a pinboard with different things attached to it. In the course of time the number of topics within a section should grow, too.
Most of the topics are not meant for reading only, mostly they are more meant for action. In this context each topic has an attribute which shows the condition of this topic. Four different states are possible.

(A) means 'still actual‘ and/or 'for action‘.
(H) means 'on hold‘.
(O) means 'obsolete‘ but 'still for information‘.
(X) means 'condition not specified' so far.

Moreover, a particular topic can move from one section/pinboard to another one.

As in real life, and on a real pinboard where the things pinned to the pinboard are more or less important and more or less interesting, the topics assigned here to a particular section are important and/or interesting, too - more or less - hopefully more.
So, it‘s a good idea, to come here from time to time and have a look what is new and/or what has changed in the meantime.

This area/wall starts with four sections: pinboard-1, pinboard-2, pinboard-7 and pinboard-9.

And that's it for now.

Maik.Murks

S E C T I O N S
----------------------

PINBOARD-1....: YOUR HELP IS NEEDED

Topic 1.1 (A)...: Please vote here - It‘s about how do you like the FONTS-4-PUPPY thread (K0630)

Topic 1.2 (X)...:

- - - - - - - - - - - -

PINBOARD-2....: ANNOUNCEMENTS

Topic 2.1 (A)...: Alpha phase of the FONTS-4-PUPPY thread (K0630)

The FONTS-4-PUPPY thread has successfully passed its alpha phase with a popularity of more than 5500 views and a level of interest and usability of more than 1000 font downloads at a base of about 75 different fonts until now and two areas at the moment with some additional and hopefully useful informations around fonts. Thanks for that.

Topic 2.2 (H)...: Beta phase of the FONTS-4-PUPPY thread (K0630) (K0721)

The beta phase of the FONTS-4-PUPPY thread has started already and should not end until at least 15000 views and at least 2000 font downloads at a base of about 150 to 200 different fonts.

Topic 2.3 (A)...: Further thread development is set on hold (K0721)

According to this posting the further thread development as well as all additional activities on this thread are set on hold. Up to the moment of setting on hold this thread had 8950 views with more than 1750 font downloads at a covered base of 84 fonts, while the corresponding voting thread had only 1 voting at 267 views. The voting thread was started about 3 weeks before setting the most activities on this thread on hold.

Topic 2.4 (A)...: Fonttest attachments (K0721)

This thread has become a little bit more flat since the fonttest attachments are changed from indvidual attachments corresponding to the font posted to a standard attachment. Now this thread should be more matchable to other threads and whatever sharing fonts somewhere.

Topic 2.5 (X)...:

- - - - - - - - - - - -

PINBOARD-7....: ABOUT FONTS AND AROUND FONTS

Topic 7.1 (A)...: Character sets (K0630)

In general the fonts posted here are having (with only a few exceptions) a complete latin character set, but...
...some of them have a complete greek character set or a complete cyrillic character set, too.

Topic 7.2 (H)...: Possible classification (K0707) (K0709)

KIND OF FONT..........: / serif / sans serif / handwriting / fun / other kind /
CHARACTER SET......: / latin / greek / cyrillic / alien set / foreign set / other set /
QUALITY...................: / complete character set / incomplete character set / xtra high quality / high quality / mid quality / low quality / no quality /
LICENSE...................: / open source license / license unknown / free for personal use /

Topic 7.3 (X)...:

- - - - - - - - - - - -

PINBOARD-9....: SOMETHING QUITE DIFFERENT

Topic 9.1 (A)...: Wallpaper for FONTS-4-PUPPY (K0630)

Since the beta phase of the FONTS-4-PUPPY thread has started, this thread has got its own wallpaper. The fonts4puppy-wallpaper comes in two variants that are available within the attachments of this posting.

Topic 9.2 (A)...: Fonts posted from 22.07.2011 until further notice (K0722)

From 22.07.2011 until further notice all fonts which will be posted here in this thread will have an individual fonttest attachment according to the posted font for at least 24 hours. After this time the individual fonttest will be changed to a standard fonttest according to topic 2.4 at pinboard 2, so that the individual one will be lost.

Topic 9.3 (X)...:

- - - - - - - - - - - -

{ f4p2info4v f4p2thingy f4p2actual f4p2pinboard }

A T T A C H M E N T S
--------------------------------
Attachments
f4p-dark-thumb.jpg
screeny of the darker variant as an example
(35.03 KiB) Downloaded 9278 times
f4p-light-thumb.jpg
screeny of the lighter variant as an example
(51.02 KiB) Downloaded 9209 times
Last edited by maik.murks on Fri 22 Jul 2011, 13:57, edited 16 times in total.

maik.murks

#67 Post by maik.murks »

Hi all.

Please be so kind and take a look to the updated 4th posting located on page 1 of this thread (Topic --> How to install Truetype fonts into your Puppy).
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 045#526045
Thank you.

Maik.Murks

maik.murks

#68 Post by maik.murks »

wuwei wrote:Brilliant idea mike

and thanks for the huge amount of work during the past couple of weeks.

I have downloaded a few of them and will use them as I go along.
When placed in that folder /usr/share/fonts/default/TTF they become available not only in Abiword but in Thunderbird and OO, as well.

Great job!

Just out of curiosity: maik.murks?
Are you German or do you speak German?

If not, then be warned :) "Murks machen" in German means "to botch things up" in English. So far it doesn't look like it! :D

Hi wuwei.

I‘m very pleased that you like this thread and the idea of this thread :D

And I‘m happy that I could help a little bit with some useful informations :D

About my name...
Thank you for your warning, but since I‘ve got my name already, it doesn‘t matter anymore - it‘s simply too late :wink:

About German...
I think I‘m able to understand German. And since my very own happening of seeing the first light of the world had taken place in Germany, I hope that my German is a little bit more better than my English. So I think I should be able to talk in German, too :wink:

And sorry for the delay of my answer.

Maik.Murks

wuwei

#69 Post by wuwei »

Haha very good answer maik.

And as I said, "it doesn't look like" Murks, on the contrary I may add.

maik.murks

#70 Post by maik.murks »

Hi all.

Please be so kind and take a look to the updated 4th posting located on page 1 of this thread (Topic --> How to get a simple overview of the fonts installed in your Puppy).
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 045#526045
Thank you.

Maik.Murks

maik.murks

#71 Post by maik.murks »

Hi all. 

Here is another candidate for the fonts pool. 

The name of this font: RockSalt 
Character set: At least a full featured latin characterset - as far as I know 

Cheers  :wink:

Maik.Murks
Attachments
RockSalt.zip
(63.85 KiB) Downloaded 560 times
nv-fonttest.jpg
(36.11 KiB) Downloaded 9517 times
Last edited by maik.murks on Wed 20 Jul 2011, 14:15, edited 1 time in total.

maik.murks

#72 Post by maik.murks »

Hi all. 

The name of this font: SueEllenFrancisco 

Maik.Murks
Attachments
SueEllenFrancisco.zip
(27.37 KiB) Downloaded 572 times
nv-fonttest.jpg
(36.11 KiB) Downloaded 9463 times
Last edited by maik.murks on Wed 20 Jul 2011, 14:17, edited 1 time in total.

maik.murks

#73 Post by maik.murks »

Hi all. 

The name of this font: Sunshiney 

Maik.Murks
Attachments
Sunshiney.zip
(78.88 KiB) Downloaded 548 times
nv-fonttest.jpg
(36.11 KiB) Downloaded 9552 times
Last edited by maik.murks on Wed 20 Jul 2011, 14:19, edited 1 time in total.

maik.murks

#74 Post by maik.murks »

Hi all. 

The name of this font: WaitingfortheSunrise 

Maik.Murks
Attachments
WaitingfortheSunrise.zip
(30.63 KiB) Downloaded 586 times
nv-fonttest.jpg
(36.11 KiB) Downloaded 9347 times
Last edited by maik.murks on Wed 20 Jul 2011, 14:20, edited 1 time in total.

maik.murks

#75 Post by maik.murks »

Hi all. 

The name of this font: Schoolbell 

Maik.Murks
Attachments
Schoolbell.zip
(27.74 KiB) Downloaded 574 times
nv-fonttest.jpg
(36.11 KiB) Downloaded 7837 times
Last edited by maik.murks on Wed 20 Jul 2011, 14:21, edited 1 time in total.

maik.murks

#76 Post by maik.murks »

Hi all. 

The name of this font: RuslanDisplay 

Maik.Murks
Attachments
RuslanDisplay.zip
(19.46 KiB) Downloaded 465 times
nv-fonttest.jpg
(36.11 KiB) Downloaded 8256 times
Last edited by maik.murks on Wed 20 Jul 2011, 14:25, edited 1 time in total.

maik.murks

#77 Post by maik.murks »

Hi all.

Please be so kind and take a look to the updated 3rd posting located on page 5 (posting 63) of this thread (Topic --> Optional tools dealing with fonts).
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 544#532544
Thank you.

Maik.Murks

maik.murks

#78 Post by maik.murks »

Hi all.

Please be so kind and take a look to the updated 4th posting located on page 5 (posting 64) of this thread.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 545#532545
Thank you.

Maik.Murks

maik.murks

#79 Post by maik.murks »

Hi all.

Please be so kind and take a look to the updated 5th posting located on page 5 (posting 65) of this thread.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 547#532547
Thank you.

Maik.Murks

maik.murks

#80 Post by maik.murks »

Hi all.

Please be so kind and take a look to the updated 1st posting located on page 5 (posting 61) of this thread.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 542#532542
Thank you.

Maik.Murks