Google Sketchup

Paint programs, vector editors, 3d modelers, animation editors, etc.
Puppyt

#16 Post by Puppyt »

Love Sketchup - used it in research publications and I must say, very pleased they made this freely available for so long.

But the axe has fallen, ey?

Thanks vtpup - for your exhaustive testing and comprehensive 'how-to'. Might have to adopt these tips for some wine/directX hassles I'm having - and glxgears looks the goods, given my terminal error outputs.

Cheers!
Search engines for Puppy
[url]http://puppylinux.us/psearch.html[/url]; [url=https://cse.google.com/cse?cx=015995643981050743583%3Aabvzbibgzxo&q=#gsc.tab=0]Google Custom Search[/url]; [url]http://wellminded.net63.net/[/url] others TBA...

vtpup

#17 Post by vtpup »

PuppyT if you want to post your computer type, graphics card (or chips if onboard) type, Operating system, and Wine version, I would be happy to make some suggestions.

It really sounds more complicated to write about than to actually set up. I can usually get a machine running Sketchup in a few minutes.

I strongly recommend the 7.1 version of Sketchup, however, rather than Sketchup 8. I don't think I've been successful yet with running 8 under Wine.

But it isn't a great loss -- I think 7.1 has more free 3rd party plugins to enable it to do anything the later versions (or the paid version) can do -- maybe even more.

As an example, I routinely export to .dxf from Sketchup 7.1 with a free plugin, and can import all kinds of files, including .dat airfoil files. I can also output to G-code for a milling machine.

I don't think that the transfer of ownership from Google will affect me, even if the new owners mess future program development up -- I already have 7.1 configured to do anything I might want to in a CAD, and running in Puppy under Wine.
[color=darkblue]Acer Aspire 5349-2635 laptop Tahrpup.[/color]
[color=blue]Acer R11 and C720 Chromebks Bionicpup64[/color]
[color=olive]Acer Iconia A1-830 tablet no pup[/color]
[color=orange]www.sredmond.com[/color]

vtpup

#18 Post by vtpup »

Thought I'd post a couple of screen captures of projects I've used Sketchup 7.1 on -- In Puppy on Wine..
Attachments
SketchupExample2.png
Hexagonal tube component layouts
(67.93 KiB) Downloaded 849 times
SketchupExample1.png
Spruce Goose sections erected on 3 view jpg.
(167.85 KiB) Downloaded 779 times
[color=darkblue]Acer Aspire 5349-2635 laptop Tahrpup.[/color]
[color=blue]Acer R11 and C720 Chromebks Bionicpup64[/color]
[color=olive]Acer Iconia A1-830 tablet no pup[/color]
[color=orange]www.sredmond.com[/color]

Schorhr

#19 Post by Schorhr »

Hello,
Any Chance sketchup will run oft a bootable CD, does some prebuilt thing exist?
Vor will it allways fail without chan ging the driver?
I have Tod work with Laptops hat I can't alter, and for the children IN work with it would be a simple choice AS the Browser based CAD is not available in our language vor just not running in these Laptops...

Sky Aisling

Google Sketchup

#20 Post by Sky Aisling »

Hello vtpup, :)

Thank you for your posts on Google SketchUp.
They are much appreciated.

Is there a .pet download for both the professional version of SketchUp and the free download of SketchUp for the non-professional?
or
Is WINE the only access to SketchUP?

Specifically,
I'm looking for both the pro-landscape version which is a paid-for download
and
I'm looking for the non-professional version which is a free download.
I can find the sites on the web for various downloads, however, I am hoping there is a .pet created for any SketchUp.
The Puppy in play is Precise 5.7.1.
The machines vary, but, all have enough RAM and video card capacity.
Thank you for your suggestions.

gcmartin

#21 Post by gcmartin »

Anyone wanting to understand this important tool especially should you want to do 3D printing, Look at This for a Sketchup understanding.

Good tool even if you don't plan 3D printing.

Hope this helps

Sky Aisling

Google Sketchup

#22 Post by Sky Aisling »

gcmartin writes:
Anyone wanting to understand this important tool especially should you want to do 3D printing, Look at This for a Sketchup understanding.
http://www.sketchup.com/learn/videos?playlist=58

Excellent video series gcmartin, thank you for the reference.
I've found many good SketchUp 'how to' videos on the web.
Google is quick to Google Google products. lol! (actually, Google doesn't own Sketchup anymore, but the references on the web often refer to 'Google Sketchup'.)

I'm now running SketchUp Make (the free download from Trimble) in WINE 1.4 via Puppy 5.7.1.
The machine has 3GB of RAM and a not so fast processor.
SketchUp Make is running fine, a little jerky at times probably because of the processor, but otherwise ok.
I've imported a .jpg photo from Google Earth as a test model.
The goal is to make a 3D model from the photo.
All is looking good.