How do I: change default wm, make sound work, burn a CD?

Booting, installing, newbie
klhrevolutionist

How do I: change default wm, make sound work, burn a CD?

#1 Post by klhrevolutionist »

ok I downloaded icewm and xp theme so how do I make it my default wm?
please explain in great detail on how to do it also how do I make my sound
work to where I don't have to modprobe everytime I start up Thanks

Edit:

Ok another thing man I have spent an hour trying to burn a cd I figured out how to last night accidently but am having no luck somebody please create
k3b dotpup for us people who are used to ease of use sorry if I sound rude but it gets frustrating here in the linux world for non-techies
or someone create an instruction booklet for gcombust or Xcdroast

nduanetesh
Ultra Super-stud

#2 Post by nduanetesh »

ok if you downloaded the icewm dotpup and clicked on it in rox and it unzipped and installed then it should have given you the option to reboot X and run icewm before the script exited this will put you into ice and it will be your default wm forever if you installed the xp theme correctly it will appear under the "themes" menu item near the bottom of the "start"-like menu if you select it as your theme it will become your default theme you shouldn't have to do this every time you boot up if you do something is wrong

to make your sound work on every bootup without having to modprobe you need to add the commands you use to get your sound up and running into the /etc/rc.d/rc.local file this file is run every time you boot and can be edited

sorry but can't help you with cd burning

ND

Flash
Official Dog Handler

Re: updated how-to

#3 Post by Flash »

klhrevolutionist wrote:<>
Ok another thing man I have spent an hour trying to burn a cd I figured out how to last night accidently but am having no luck somebody please create
k3b dotpup for us people who are used to ease of use sorry if I sound rude but it gets frustrating here in the linux world for non-techies
or someone create an instruction booklet for gcombust or Xcdroast
Well, for a start, if you figured out a way why don't you tell the rest of us how you did it?

Bruce B

#4 Post by Bruce B »

I think to make icewm the default simply leave X and then at the prompt type

# xwin icewm

To make you CD work for writing try this:

Start -> Setup -> CD/DVD Drive Wizard

You will probably want to set it for SCSI Emulation.

Let us know.

danleff

#5 Post by danleff »

...and the version of Puppy that you are using would help. It will make a difference, since the kernel series has changed from version 1.0.2 and 1.0.3.

Are you booting from a hard drive installation of Puppy, or off the cd (Live Puppy)?
I love it when a plan comes together

--Hannibal Smith

klhrevolutionist

What has happened since

#6 Post by klhrevolutionist »

Ok for starters I wish I could remember how I burnt but am still working on it
And as for icewm I figured it out and yes it's on my hard drive, and yes I am using the latest puppy
thirdly thanks puppy for the outstanding group of people we have in this forum
without the kinda help puppy has it would be just another distro
And when I figure out how to burn on this crazy thing I will post it

Bruce B

#7 Post by Bruce B »

So did you set it up for SCSI emulation?

There might be a little problem with icewm menu. Like someone may have forgotten to add something to the end of the line.

Open /root/.icewm/menu with a text editor. Look for this line:

prog "Gcombust CD writer" mini-cd gcombust gcombustshell

It may just say:

prog "Gcombust CD writer" mini-cd gcombust

If so add the gcombustshell to the end of the line

Or maybe it doesn't make a difference with 1.0.3 - it did with 1.0.2

In any event set up your cd-burner on the burn tab of gcombust

Hope this help to confusion ratio of this post was good for you

danleff

#8 Post by danleff »

I found in Puppy 1.0.1, I had to do the following. If you have grub as your bootloader, add the following to the kernel line (in bold);

kernel (hd0,0) /boot/vmlinuz root=hda1 hdc=ide-scsi

Assuming that the burner is the secondary master (which would make it hdc). This example also assumes that Puppy is resident on hda1. Depending where your Puppy partition is, Grub may have it differently.

If the burner is elsewhere, then hd(x) (the x value) would be different.

This allowed scsi emulation to load with the kernel boot and Gcombust to see the drive as such.

Then when you are in Gcombust, click on the button to detect the drive, then the button to check the status. If this works, you should be good to go.

Otherwise, scsi emulation can be done from the wizard wizard-->setup cdburner, reboot and see if the status screen shows scsi emulation.

This added line is for the 2.4 series kernel, which is now what Puppy uses in version 1.0.3 again.

In the 1.0.2 version, this was not necessary, as scsi emulation was supposed to be handled differently by the 2.6 series kernel.
I love it when a plan comes together

--Hannibal Smith