Dpup: Squeezed Puppy 4.99.2 bug reports and feedback :)

Please post any bugs you have found
aarf

#31 Post by aarf »

Code: Select all

VIDEO REPORT: Squeezed Puppy, version 4.99.2

Chip description:
 Intel Corporation Mobile 915GM/GMS/910GML Express Graphics Controller
 Intel Corporation Mobile 915GM/GMS/910GML Express Graphics Controller

Driver used by Xorg:
intel

Video mode used by Xorg:
Resolution:  Depth 24  Depth: "Display"
network wizard connected wifi after second attempt. then dropped connection and required two more trys to get it connected again. frisbee is best.
continually flickering of text under/for "install" desktop icon. sometimes spreads to flicker other desktop-text.never seen this in any puppy before.

as with other woofs the initial mouseover info screen doesnt fit the screen.
pushing a window through the top of the screen drops it tthe bottom of the screen. i dont like it. cant see the bottom of big windows.
clicking "filename" in pfind doesnt sort the results by name.
mostly ok though.

mikeslr

Modifications of Xorgwizard & jwm config are required

#32 Post by mikeslr »

Hi All again,

After deleting SaveFile and rebuilding, I've explored some more. From prior posts, including my own experience, Xorgwizard currently does not ID the correct video driver. The work-around was to use the "choose" option == not particularly newby friendly. I'll add, that even doing so does not produce 100% acceptable results. My monitor will display at 1600 x 900: something all other Puppys enable. In Squeezed, selecting that resolution only results in a display of 1152 x 864.
Stu90's solution requires a woof rebuild. Also not very newby friendly. Is a modification via pet possible?

After rebuilding of SaveFile (and creation of protected copy while running another puppy) I again tried to add mtpaintsnapshot to jwm's tray. Same results: meaningless icon, no tooltip, clicking does nothing. I'll try to figure out how to install openbox --which from Lupus I decided is just as useful as jwm-- and see if it solves "apps in tray" problem.

I Just tried to open a spreadsheet on an ntfs partition. Squeezed reported error. Partition, directory & file opened, but the latter as "read-only." Note, I did not select "fido."

Still looking forward to developments as Squeezed seems to boot faster than others, and dpups seem (on the whole) to run better on my systems. Beyond that, with Ubuntu having decided that bloat is user friendly, debian IMHO remains the best source to woof.

[Side note for devs: Latest incarnation of Linux Mint has a new APT utility which will download (without installing) an application with ALL its dependencies. Perhaps it can be of some use if you don't mind running Mint. Or better yet, if it can be run in Puppy. But as this area is beyond my technical level, I've no way of comparing its utility to iguleder's pbthing].

Does anyone have a suggestion as to what I should test next, other than printers & scanners which I don't have connected? Would it be best to check fundamentals (which? how?) and then woof a new base ISO?

mikesLr

James C

#33 Post by James C »

I grabbed an old Windows 98 box off the shelf so....... Squeezed 4.99.2 live pfix=ram.

Everything working on boot, internet, display and sound.

VIDEO REPORT: Squeezed Puppy, version 4.99.2

Chip description:
oem: ATI MACH64

Driver used by Xorg:
mach64

Video mode used by Xorg:
Resolution: Depth 16 Depth: "Display"

...the above also recorded in /tmp/report-video

-Computer-
Processor : Celeron (Mendocino)
Memory : 385MB (124MB used)
Operating System : Unknown distribution
User Name : root (root)
Date/Time : Tue 24 May 2011 02:48:13 AM CDT
-Display-
Resolution : 1024x768 pixels
OpenGL Renderer : Unknown
X11 Vendor : The X.Org Foundation
-Multimedia-
Audio Adapter : ENS1371 - Ensoniq AudioPCI

-Processor-
Name : Celeron (Mendocino)
Family, model, stepping : 6, 6, 5 (Pentium II/Pentium II Xeon/Celeron)
Vendor : Intel
-Configuration-
Cache Size : 128kb
Frequency : 434.36MHz
BogoMIPS : 868.71
Byte Order : Little Endian

Ethernet controller : ADMtek NC100 Network Everywhere Fast Ethernet 10/100
Multimedia audio controller : Ensoniq ES1371 [AudioPCI-97]
VGA compatible controller : ATI Technologies Inc 3D Rage IIC AGP

cagwait

Dpup: Squeezed Puppy 4.99.2 bug reports and feedback :)

#34 Post by cagwait »

Successfully ran live via Cd. Video works , sounds works connects to wired internet on boot.
No media player as stated in the announcemont but ppm debian repos appears to work ok so i installed ffmpeg, mp3 now play ok, also installed debians branded ffox iceweasel browser, runs well.
however on my live run clicking on the desktop calendar icon to open osmo nothing happens, is anybody else having this problem?

mikeslr

Problems with Boot & adding mtpaintsnapshot to tray

#35 Post by mikeslr »

I'm not sure what happened. After creating a SaveFile, Squeezed hung while booting. Required a hard reset. The second time it hung, I booted into any Puppy OS, deleted my active SaveFile, and copied my protected SaveFile to the active position. Booted OK.

Among the things I do is add a screenshot app to the tray so I don't have to wade thru menus when I want to use it. I attempted to add mtpaintshapshot.sh, but nothing happened. So I downloaded Pupsnap and was able to add it to the tray.

This is probably NOT a Squeezed problem. The reason I decided to try Pupsnap is because Snowpuppy 018 has both screenshot apps and I was similarly unable to add mtpaintsnapshot to its tray, but could add Pupsnap. Note, both Squeezed and Snowpuppy 018 were using JWM as its window manager.

If no one else has had a problem with adding apps to JWM's tray, I'll assume its an mtpaint or mikesLr problem.

mikesLr

jim3630

#36 Post by jim3630 »

Hi, like to try but wl driver not included. tried Piratesmack pet driver guide but too much lack of skill on this end. Do you have a wl driver pet? thanks jim

sszindian

Cups Login

#37 Post by sszindian »

Has anyone figured out why-
Id: root
Password: woofwoof

won't let you into the Admin part of cups to configure a printer?

I looked at the 'go to treads' on page 2 here, tried the config's recommended but that didn't seem to work either?

Do we need a different version of cups or something?

'Thanks'

>>>---Indian------>

rcrsn51

Re: Cups Login

#38 Post by rcrsn51 »

sszindian wrote:Do we need a different version of cups or something?
Try this.

1. Run

Code: Select all

rm /usr/share/ghostscript/8.15
2. Go here and get CUPS 1.3.11. Just install Items 1, 2 and 5.

3. Download an older version of Ghostscript from here.

You may need to clear your browser's cache to make the new CUPS web pages display properly.
Last edited by rcrsn51 on Sat 11 Jun 2011, 23:41, edited 3 times in total.

sszindian

Cups Login

#39 Post by sszindian »

Gave that a try rcrsn51... Same thing happens, root and woofwoof won't let me log-in to config a printer!

>>>---Indian------>
Attachments
cups-admin.png
(9.76 KiB) Downloaded 1233 times

rcrsn51

#40 Post by rcrsn51 »

Gave that a try rcrsn51... Same thing happens, root and woofwoof won't let me log-in to config a printer!
I just did a fresh install of sqzd-4.99.2 and it worked fine for me.

sszindian

Cups Login

#41 Post by sszindian »

Seems to be the story of my life with printers :(

I noticed in BK's blog he had fixed some problems... maybe that was one of them? I downloaded my copy about a week or so ago. Maybe I should go for a fresh copy and try again! I just hate having to re-do stuff especially when you already have a lot of work on it in other areas of the program.. Oh well!

'Thanks for the help (you're always there when needed)'

>>>---Indian------>

rcrsn51

#42 Post by rcrsn51 »

Have you cleared your browser cache? This install of CUPS 1.3.11 shouldn't ask for a password at all.

sszindian

cups login

#43 Post by sszindian »

Hmmm... I checked the version on this one I have and it reports 1.4.3 Like I say, I probably have one of the earliest releases of 4.99, in fact I'm going to go into another program and HHD where I downloaded it and check, I don't seem to remember the .2 on the end of the download?

Be back....

>>>---Indian------>

rcrsn51

Re: cups login

#44 Post by rcrsn51 »

sszindian wrote:Hmmm... I checked the version on this one I have and it reports 1.4.3
Did you install both items stated above - CUPS 1.3.11 and the old Ghostscript?

sszindian

Cups Login

#45 Post by sszindian »

rcrsn51 said:

Did you install both items stated above - CUPS 1.3.11 and the old Ghostscript?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And sszindian says... I should bend over and let rcrsn51 give me a good swift boot... you know where!!!!

I completely overlooked that last line in your above post about the cups 1.3.11 and the old ghostscript I guess thinking it was just your signature like most others have... after awhile you kind of overlook them.

Anyway... you hit the nail right-on, my hp 1050 All-in-One j410 series printed a beautiful test page !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And again rcrsn51, 'Thanks for keeping after me' I was really getting disgusted after that mess we wnt through on the Cloud Puppy .iso (never did get a printer setup in that as yet, but still trying :( )

Again thanks... I'm sure many who try this 4.99.2 will appreciate your efforts!

>>>---Indian------>

tallboy

#46 Post by tallboy »

I have run sqzd4.99.2 from a livecd on two old linuxboxes: 1) AMD Athlon 1.2 GHz, 512 Mb Ram, Intergraph 19sd95 screen. 2) P4 1.8 GHz, 512 Mb Ram, Sony 21" Multiscan500PS screen. I usually load livecd dpup4.84beta4. No issues with sqzd4.99.2 when booting first time.
ttuuxxx wrote: I could include all my favorite apps like gcalctool, and ditch the calculators, htop, transmission,lxtasx
I agree on the ditching existing calculators, but vote for galculator instead of gcalctool. as it has multiple modes incl. RPN, and I think gcalctool is overkill. I also agree on ditching latex editing in Abiword, I love latex, but like many others, I have a huge Debian with emacs and 4 gig latex stuff for such things.
I use htop all the time as it has more functions than Pprocess, throw out Pprocess and top instead.
I vote for throwing out the 'fun' directory with content; honestly, who opens puppy to do these child games? (uh...well, maybe apart from children, that is, but they can have their own version) I think gamers rather play with other toys.
If installing Opera, all torrent stuff can be ditched because most of it is built into Opera.

I cannot use my wireless ZTE MF636 USB modem, and then there is the Cups issue, and I really miss mplayer, and the icons for my LaCie 160 GB external usb hd does not show up unless I restart X, and they won't go away unless restarting X, and I have a strange problem (ROX?) when I click the the icons placed along the upper left side of the window to start a program, nothing happens, I have to click a second time to get some action.

I use Osmo in several locations, and the portability of the Osmo files is excellent (human readable XML), but as some recent puppy versions have complained that libical.so.0 is missing, this Osmo won't open because of missing libwebkit-1.0.so.2, a lib for Gtk+. When I used the package manager to check on downloading the lib, the whole chebang with deps are 53 Mb! There must be an earlier version that is smaller, or an equally portable alternative. Korganizer would be nice if it was small, it's not.

I love the builtin 'Stardust' theme, never take that away!

My additions: Firefox (habit - not necessary), xpad (yellow sticky note pad), htop, hnb (hierarchical console notebook - easier than Notecase), Xpdf (habit and because contents can be copied), Gramps 3.2.6-1, a new genealogy .pet by muggins, needs graphviz that just downloads with the package manager.

My wishlist:mplayer, lynx, pinfo (lynx-like viewer for info files + all the info files), mc - midnight commander (old, but very useful), and zile - a mini editor with emacs features (habit - not necessary). If you ever want to impress a C-programmer, run 'pinfo libc' in Debian, WOW!

I have also toyed with the idea to put some of the seldom used/large apps - complete with necessary deps - in /archive, or preferrebly in another dir - see here - on a multisession CD/DVD, to have them available for quick installation when needed. They don't load at bootup, so the puppy can remain small and fast, and mounting the disc and installing the wanted files from the dir take only seconds with most programs anyway, and then you know that all you need is burnt to the disk. The link above is describing a very useful way to store results, pics, music, books and other stuff not needed at bootup, but still always available, only some clicks away. Does /archive make a new dated file each save?

It is very easy to lose sight of what puppy is, and try to grow it all the time. For me it is not supposed to be a replacement for my huge Debian that contains all the heavy programs I need at the university, it is a portable, supplementary OS to take care of daily tasks.

Here is an issue I need some help for, this was in sqzd4.99.2, but the same goes for many other puppys too:

OK, so I don't want my puppy to load the last saved files in a dir on a multisession livecd, saved with the 'save to cd' dialog at shutdown. I press F2 at bootup to get the bootup options, and enter: puppy pfix=1 to prevent the loading of the dir, and 'enter' to continue the booting process. The booting starts, the following text comes up:

Loading drivers needed to access disk drives.................................done
Folder 2011-06-11-03-19 marked bad.............................................done
Loading the 'puppy_sqzd_4.99.2.sfs' main file... copying to ram......done
Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempt to kill init!

And then everything freezes, nothing happens except for 'Caps lock' and 'Scroll lock' diodes start blinking on my keyboard, and I have to physically turn off the pc.

What is happening here?

Tallboy.

Update: I did a new test, and everything froze using 'puppy pfix=1', but NOT when using 'puppy pfix=ram' ! :?: :?: :?:

sszindian

4.99.2 What Happened??

#47 Post by sszindian »

4.99.2 started off with a BANG now all of a sudden it appears there isn't any interest?

Is it too complex to develop for? I see that yet no one has come up with a ffmpg or video viewer? I can't understand why BK would not include these in the beginning?

4.99.2 is overall a nice version, a bit on the SLOW side as far as Puppy Operating systems go but I'm sure that could be overcome given time. For sure, what now works is dependable and there are lots of packages in the PPM if one desires them. Yes, there are bugs to be worked out but I wonder if anyone is going to do it or will this version just go by the way-side as many of the previous Debian-based Puppy's have?

>>>---Indian------>

taca0

#48 Post by taca0 »

I made a version with woof and add the mplayer2 (the one file version) and add the BK wary ffmpeg with ffplay and all the needed libs . but I change the kernel to 3.6.35.13 lts . Also I remove the browser and add dillo . And Cups change it to 1.3.10 from upup or somthing... Its about 113 MB.

ttuuxxx

Re: 4.99.2 What Happened??

#49 Post by ttuuxxx »

sszindian wrote:4.99.2 started off with a BANG now all of a sudden it appears there isn't any interest?

Is it too complex to develop for? I see that yet no one has come up with a ffmpg or video viewer? I can't understand why BK would not include these in the beginning?

>>>---Indian------>
Well the reason why is that its missing some deps, an example the compiler gives tons of errors when compiling ffmpeg, I managed to compile ffmpg and gxine after spending tons of time working at it. I think the reason why Barry didn't include ffmpeg and a video player is because it still needs some tweaking. I've been working full-time and taking care of my 4 month old daughter, since my wife has been working 55+ hrs a week and doesn't leave me much time to spend on puppy. Dpup by far has more potential than any other woof, but its rough around the edges. I'll try to spend more time on it when time allows for it.
ttuuxxx
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

sszindian

#50 Post by sszindian »

Wow ttuuxxx... sounds like you have your hands full... I've been there, many, many, years ago so I know where you are coming from, it's never easy raising a family and trying to make-ends-meet!

I see taca0 (in a post above) done some work and re-vamping with an updated kernel, I hope he posts how that is doing for him!

Anyway, it's good to hear you'll be doing some work on 4.99.2 and yes, I agree, it has more potential than any other version of Puppy and for sure, Debian is in it for the long haul so support won't be a problem for a long time if ever.

I see you are using and recommending the:
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
I have that listed that over in my Cloud Puppy tread... I doubt you will find a better converter for LOTS OF STUFF than they have... I called it 'Cloud' instead of on-line, it sure is hard to get people to understand they are for the most part the same thing... Cloud just scares the living heck out of most for some reason? I admit, it did me too until I realized they were about one and the same. Funny how a new name can upset the apple-cart on an old thing? :shock:

Anyway ttuuxxx... I was planning the next version of Cloud Puppy with the 4.99.2 as the base structure, kind of giving the sceptics the best of both worlds, I pretty much have the cloud features worked out in a separate pop-up menu, coming along nice so far.

Take care my friend!

>>>---Indian------>