Report on Firefox 4 upgrade from Firefox 3

Puppy related raves and general interest that doesn't fit anywhere else
bc272

Report on Firefox 4 upgrade from Firefox 3

#1 Post by bc272 »

Finding success with Foxfire 4
[366mhz compaq presario 240meg ram hard puppy install version 4.3.1.]

I was looking for pet file (hard puppy, read uses pet file more than sfs) but postponed decision and then Firefox offered 4 as an upgrade to existing installed version during one session of Firefox 3. Just clicked upgrade from that window it offered up and no file or nothing to download but pretty fast auto-installed and then reboot (think there was prompt to do so). It is very different in performance, huge difference on this older model pc on its performance over the past year. Puppy Linux is the greatest operating system. This old 366mhz was just a fun project and gradually has gotten better and better, ram was critical, must have large ram memory, new cmos battery, ribbon connection problems adjusted to fix.

With Firefox 4 installed, no more of the-- stop script continue script--messages (unusual but common of late) that I have been getting on news sites. The 3 version was getting super slow, you couldn't even scroll it anymore and similar problem in my mac 10.3 , maybe it needs 4 also but have been using both.

I had tried upgrades to whatever Firefox version 3 it was (3.6 or something) and that was no help, but with Foxfire 4 back up to full speed on the internet.

Eathray

#2 Post by Eathray »

I can confirm this. I just upgraded to 4 this morning and I'm seeing super performance on my Winbook J1 with a 1gig cpu and 512 ram. noticeably faster and seems more stable as well. Don't be shy to let Firefox do the upgrade. It's a good one.

Eathray

jpeps

#3 Post by jpeps »

Firefox 4.0.1 has been getting hundreds if complaints about being extremely slow loading pages, even when compared with IE. I checked it out after noting that my copy is almost unusable after the upgrade. Definitely not the internet connection, because my links browser loads sites instantly.