Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Mon 20 Nov 2017, 09:23
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Is Puppy good for me?
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 2 [19 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2 Next
roope00

PostPosted: Mon 16 May 2011, 04:14    Post subject:  Is Puppy good for me?  

Hi all.

I have old computer, which i would like to get in use.
I love programming with console compilers and interpreters, such as python, C, perl and so on.

I have nokia 5230 and i need distro that can use it as internet modem. Vista and such can do it, but my hardware aint good enough for that.

Lightweitness and security comes first.
aarf

PostPosted: Mon 16 May 2011, 06:14    Post subject:  

I dont think your bank balance is up to it.

ASUS EeePC Flare series 1025C 4x Intel Atom N2800 @ 1.86GHz RAM 2063MB 800x600p ATA 320G
_-¤-_

<º))))><.¸¸.•´¯`•.#.•´¯`•.¸¸. ><((((º>
Aitch

PostPosted: Mon 16 May 2011, 08:27    Post subject:  

Hi roope00

Ignore the previous rudeness....he can't possibly know your financial status, unless you're a friend (?) of his..?

If you give a bit more detail, i.e. make/model number, than "old computer" I'll see if I can offer assistance

3g phones can be used as modems, via usb, but can be a bit tricky to set up....you need to know your service provider's APN/logon details

Puppy's a lot faster than Vista, [and most other OSes] so you don't know how good your hardware is, till you try it!

There are programming threads here, too, and this'll get you started...

http://www.wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html

Aitch Smile
aarf

PostPosted: Mon 16 May 2011, 08:40    Post subject:  

Oh rats I have to go back to the bound and gagged corner . . . AGAIN!

ASUS EeePC Flare series 1025C 4x Intel Atom N2800 @ 1.86GHz RAM 2063MB 800x600p ATA 320G
_-¤-_

roope00

PostPosted: Mon 16 May 2011, 08:57    Post subject:  

Hi Aitch and thank you for your reply.
No worry about aarf. I have used internet since 1998 and seen peoples like him too many times.

Hes two posts here and total number of posts at this forum tells all i need to know. Ill just ignore him Wink

I am currently at work, but when i get back to home, ill PM excact details of my hardware so you can estimate is Puppy my distro?

Thanks, roope00
aarf

PostPosted: Mon 16 May 2011, 09:09    Post subject:  

Sounds like a fairytale begining. I hope you get married and live happily ever after.

_-¤-_

roope00

PostPosted: Tue 17 May 2011, 01:17    Post subject:  

Hey aarf. You ever happened to have a nick which started with M?
Eathray

PostPosted: Tue 17 May 2011, 01:53    Post subject:  

Welcome, roope00,

What's your older computer's stats?

cpu speed
ram
size of HD
chipset (such as, intel810)

Off the top of my head, Wary is very good, designed for long-term support on older hardware by BarryK, and ttuuxxx has a 214x Puppy that is supposed to be good (I'm planning on trying it). There are also some very small Puppies like Barebones and BrowserPup.

Most of the 2's and 3's series Puppies will function with very minimal hardware. I had 3's and 4's working on an old Dell Latitude cpi 300, with only a 366 mb processor and 256 mb of ram. My Grandpa's got it now and it still runs fine for him. He uses it daily.

I'm sure there's a Puppy that will work for you, and probably better than anything else out there for your machine.

Eathray

P.S.
Aitch is cool. He helped me tons a couple years ago when I first tried Puppy.
roope00

PostPosted: Tue 17 May 2011, 03:06    Post subject:  

Thanks Earthray for your reply.
It seems that my hardware is capable to use xubuntu so maybe ill use it as my primary OS.

Im still interested to use puppy as secondary OS.
Ill stay in tune Smile

Thank you, roope00
ShellyCat

PostPosted: Tue 17 May 2011, 05:03    Post subject:  

roope00 wrote:
It seems that my hardware is capable to use xubuntu so maybe ill use it as my primary OS.

Im still interested to use puppy as secondary OS.

Since Puppy is a live CD, it is very easy to test.
Furthermore, using Puppy as a secondary OS is easier than other Linuxes, because you can use the live CD and save files to your hard disk and save your settings to hard disk! So you can boot from a CD-R but keep your old settings!

Change some settings, for example, use the "Desktop icon switcher" application from the "Desktop" category in the Puppy Menu to change the icon set.

Tell Puppy you want to save your settings from now on. Use "PupSaveConfig" under "Utilities" to tell it where to save a pupsave file. Choose a partition on your hard disk...it can be a Windows partition such as NTFS or FAT, or a Linux partition such as ext2 or ext3. You must also choose the size of the file, for example 512 MB.

Reboot. Press 'Enter' at the bootloader as you normally would (or just wait). By default, Puppy looks for any files with ".sfs" or ".2fs" extension (which are compressed formats). In the regular Puppy, it will give you the option to choose whether to use these files or not, before it times out. In some Puppies, it will automatically use them.

These files are layered on top of the files from the CD, so it acts like you changed the CD.

Anytime you want to revert to a clean puppy, reboot. Instead of pressing 'Enter', press 'e' (for "edit"). Two lines of code are shown, but you only need to edit the top one...press 'e' again. Your cursor will be at the end of the line, so just add " pfix=ram" (without the quotes, and note the preceding space). This tells Puppy to boot using only CD files loaded into RAM.

The nice thing is you can also do a "frugal install" of Puppy by also saving other SFS files off the CD, which will save the application and config files to the hard disk, but compressed, the same format as the CD. When you boot Puppy it will load these parts from the hard drive instead of the CD, which speeds boot time.

Finally, you can do a "full install" which actually extracts the CD contents before saving to the hard drive, using the "Puppy Universal Installer" in the Setup menu. I haven't done this myself yet, but you can make Puppy its own partition or install to another OS's partition and either edit the Windows bootloader or install Grub or somesuch (Grub4dos with Windows). You can also install Puppy to USB.

By far the best way to play with Puppy is to boot from CD and use a pupsave file (and optionally SFS file from CD saved to hard drive, too). If you screw things up, you can always start over by using "pfix=ram" at next boot. Or start a new pupsave file when you install something questionable, so you can revert back to the other one if needed.

The places to start are the Puppy Home Page (for the basics like using a pupsave file) and the HOWTO forum section (for more detail, plus more advanced tutorials).

Eathray

PostPosted: Tue 17 May 2011, 11:17    Post subject:  

roope00,

I like Ubuntu/Xubuntu/Kubuntu as well, although I think you will find as I did that a frugal install with Puppy is substantially faster on older hardware.

I've used both for about three years now. Lately I've been extremely happy with Puppy Wary on a Winbook J1, 1gb cpu, 512 mb ram, 30 gb hd, and i810 chipset/graphics.

What are the stats of your machine? That will help us suggest a good Puppy for you, whether used as a primary or secondary OS.

Again, welcome.

Eathray
roope00

PostPosted: Tue 17 May 2011, 12:12    Post subject:  

Hi.

Here is my hardware info.

AMD Semperon LE-1100 1800Mhz
RAM 895MB
Eathray

PostPosted: Wed 18 May 2011, 00:17    Post subject:  

roope00 wrote:
Hi.

Here is my hardware info.

AMD Semperon LE-1100 1800Mhz
RAM 895MB

Cool. With that hardware, you can run Puppy Lucid easily. Your processor's plenty fast and you have twice the ram you need. Based on those two items, you will probably use Xorg-high for your graphics card. The option is in Lucid's 'QuickPet' on the Lucid Desktop. If your graphics card isn't recognized however, just try Wary so you can get a Puppy going and see if you like it. I suggest a frugal install (live-boot cd with save file). It's faster.

That's my suggestion to get started, but keep in mind there are lots of Puppies to choose from.

I'd love to hear how your first run goes.

Eathray
roope00

PostPosted: Wed 18 May 2011, 11:11    Post subject:  

This works like a glove. Looks good. Even my kids loves this.

Can i somehow create two user accounts so that i get full rights and if one of kids logins, only a web-browsers can be used and everything else is not allowed?

I would hate to see them destroying my codes. You know how messy the desk of programmer looks Smile
roope00

PostPosted: Wed 18 May 2011, 11:13    Post subject:  

I forgot to mention that xorg did not work but vesa did. I will provide my gfx details after im back at home.
Page 1 of 2 [19 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2 Next
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Jump to: