For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Sylvander

#991 Post by Sylvander »

partsman wrote:send you a link if you like :D
Yes please. :D

LoboGrande

Did I do something wrong?

#992 Post by LoboGrande »

I downloaded and burned Akita 16 to CD and didn't see the new package manager. I did a frugal install on to a 32gb USB drive that had Akita 15 on it then did a save. It told me there was no save file on the reboot but was it was there under the Akita 16 folder when I opened rox filer. I deleted it and tried to create a new one and it gave me a kernel panic on the reboot. I can still open Akita 15 just fine. Any thoughts?

partsman

#993 Post by partsman »

OK here is Akita b16 on kernel 2.6.32.28 :D
I hope this works better for those with newer hardware :D
I have been using Akita this way starting about b14 release :wink:
However there are a few things to keep in mind
1. sfs files need to be converted to sfs4 format = no big deal just right click on the sfs and use converter :wink:
2. You must use ext3 partition for your save file or Akita will not find the save file :D
" I have been hacking on Akita's ext 4 support but i have chose to keep it until it is nicely polished " :wink:
3. Some of the build scripts in the new package manager will not successfully compile = you may have to do it the old fashion way :lol:
3. deadbeef will not run properly :x = you may have to get a new one :wink:

ok so some of you may need an updated xorg use the attached pet :wink:

Akita b16 kernel 2.6.32.28 :
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bytpn2 ... sp=sharing

Xorg73-75 upgrade pet: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bytpn2 ... sp=sharing

Again I would like to say thank you to sc0ttman who has been kind enogh to share such a wonderful puppy :wink: :D :D :D
please note : This respin of Akita is experimental i am not a developer by any means !!!
but I would gladly try and help anyone i can please feel free to contact me via pm :wink:
enjoy :D
[color=red]Anyone can build a fast processor. The trick is to build a fast system. (Seymour Cray)[/color] :wink:

LoboGrande

Akita 16 .32.28 works

#994 Post by LoboGrande »

Thanks, Partsman. Your new kernel version works with my Asus M5A97 mobo and a AMD FX4100 CPU. I could never get connected online with the older kernel. Blazing fast with Qupzilla 1,3. Nicely done. I did have to install the latest flash.pet from the forum to get Youtube to work on it on both Qupzilla and FF17ESR. Couldn't get them to play with the standard flashplayer installer for some unfathomable reason.

I'm also running it from a 64gb USB 2.0 Flashdrive through my Tecra M5 laptop. Ethernet worked but not wifi as before with the older kernel. I can get wifi @ home but not at work with Akita 15. It's says the network is connected and configured but when I try to open a browser there's no connection via wifi. :D

partsman

#995 Post by partsman »

@ LoboGrande
I did notice that I had a harder time acquiring a dhcp address with akita B16
even on the original kernel :? I thought It was just me :shock:
Maybe try a diff wifi tool :? I don't know a lot about configuring wifi there are a lot of tricks in the forum but I am sure with a little work it can be made usable I did get mine to connect but took a little work :wink:
[color=red]Anyone can build a fast processor. The trick is to build a fast system. (Seymour Cray)[/color] :wink:

partsman

#996 Post by partsman »

Anyone looking for kernel source and some video drivers for Akita B16 "RESPIN" Kernel 2.6.32.28 only
PLEASE NOTE:" FOR RESPIN ONLY" they can be found here:
http://www.smokey01.com/Tman/SolidPup511/

AGAIN FOR B16 RESPIN KEREL 2.6.32.28 ONLY :D

partsman

#997 Post by partsman »

Hello all :D
There does seem to be a problem acquiring a dhcp address in Akita B16 :?
This problem does seem to effect both kernel versions :?
I didn't have this problem on B15 I am not sure what the cause is but I will try and find a cause :wink: I have sent sc0ttman a pm regarding this also !

@ LoboGrande I apologize ! I had a little problem at first and thought it was just me ! But it does seem to be more than that ! But I am sure that it can be fixed easly enough :wink:

I hope and the intention of the respin with newer kernel is to show that all
puppies never die ! Unless the developer and/or user allows it !
Sc0ttman has shown that older puppies can be upgraded and maintained :wink: I also encourage everyone to read back through this entire thread it is quiet remarkable ! As it took some ingenuity from those
that were willing to help Sc0ttmans dream of a up to date puppy 4 lives !
I hope that those who take the time too look at Akita will come to appreciate it as I have as it is loaded with all the wonderful tools an documentation that this community has created in its lifetime :wink:
Thanks again Sc0ttman and to all that helped and continue to help with Akita :D

LoboGrande

Some minor success

#998 Post by LoboGrande »

Partsman, I got on wifi with B-16-32.28 yesterday at work but not the main secure link but the open wifi link. Now, you B-16 won't log into the open either. Now B-15 won't go the secure link either.

I have no trouble getting to the secure link(WPA2) at work with Precise 5.7.1 on the same machine,

partsman

#999 Post by partsman »

Ok Pwireless "classic version" seems to work for me ! even though in the past i have always used network wizard :?
Anyone with wireless issues maybe give it a try until the other network tools could be fixed :wink:
I tried all of the other network tools repeatedly with no avail but Pwireless "classic version" obtained a dhcp address on first try :wink:

@ LoboGrande maybe you will have better luck with Pwireless "classic version" if you havent tried it already :D

partsman

#1000 Post by partsman »

I also am happy to say that deadbeef and wish apps are working great ! :shock:
Sc0ttman you know I was beating my head against the wall over those couple of things :lol: All seems well in B16 as far as that goes :wink:
Something is definitely different and I did my kernel upgrade the same as always :D Makes me very happy :D :shock: :D

partsman

#1001 Post by partsman »

If anyone knows and would be kind enough to explain to me where I should
look :
Seems that all of the wireless network tools have the same problem trying to obtain a DHCP address ! I looked at Akita B15 and B16 at some of the network files but I was only comparing them against each other :?
As I said before B15 i had no problems :wink:
Any help here would be greatly appreciated :wink:
Thank you in advance :wink:

Keef

#1002 Post by Keef »

partsman

The networking problem exists with a wired connection too. SNS won't get a connection, but network-wizard will. Have to re-run the wizard after a reboot.
Not tried wifi yet. I had stopped using Akita 15 so much as wifi became less reliable (no obvious reason for this). Don't need wifi now as I got a pair of powerline adapters so I can use ethernet.

partsman

#1003 Post by partsman »

Thanks keef for letting me know
I have been compairng files between the B15 &B16 Akita's in hope that I could find a problem regarding this but so far with no avail
Sc0ttman I am sure will find something !
Like I said before B15 worked perfect for me. Something is different with B16 just cant put my finger on it ! Thanks again for the feedback !

tback

#1004 Post by tback »

I had the same problem with the network (DHCP) connection, but when I copied the resolv.conf from another puppy the problem was solved.
Two lines added:
domain home.network
nameserver 10.0.0.2

Keef

#1005 Post by Keef »

One other thing...
I found that .pets won't install if there is no internet connection. I think it is the new package management system trying to be a bit too clever. It complains about there being no internet connection, then doesn't allow any other option. I only found this out because of the problem with the internet connection mentioned before.

partsman

#1006 Post by partsman »

@ Keef & tback
Thank you for the info I have not had a lot of time to mess with it but tring to make some :roll:
Than you for keeping the faith with Akita I will be glad to see this issue a thing of the past !
I really think sc0ttman's pkg manager will be very cool :wink:
Nice find by the two of you and thanks again :wink:

partsman

#1007 Post by partsman »

Hello all
I belive i have the netwok issue figured out ;-)
I will upload another iso soon on my custom kernel
@ tback and Keef
Thank you both as you guys pointed me in the right direction. Your feedback is very important ;-)
I also will also inform scOttman. As I would like to make sure that the fix didnt break anything. lol !

partsman

#1008 Post by partsman »

Hello again all :)
Well I am sorry to report that I had no success in fixing dhcp problem :cry:
I am back to square 1 :?
However for wireless try this walkaround :
use network wizard like you normally would
after network is connected you can push the button auto dhcp button BUT
THIS IS WHERE I HAVE A PROBLEM !
It will not acquire a dhcp address ! MOST OF THE TIME ! "I DONT SEE THE THREE STAGES OF ARP BLAH BLAH " so to get a dhcp address go to pwireless classic and highlight your AP put in wep key and it will run dhcp and acquire an address :wink:
NOW HERE IS WHAT I FIND STRANGE WITH B16
SOMETIMES ! I can boot up live cd and wireless works like always has in any other pup :) BUT MOST OF THE TIME ! I HAVE TO USE THE WALKAROUND AS DESCRIBED ABOVE :cry:
I cant put my finger on what the hell is going on :? :x
Any Help or even a random thought would be appreciated :D
Thanks again all :wink:

greengeek

#1009 Post by greengeek »

This kind of sounds like some of the weird problems I had with earlier puppies like ttuuxxxes 2.14x and some others - there seemed to be an incompatibility between the dhcpcd code in the puppy and my router (which was a Thomson which I have now changed)

The symptoms were annoyingly variable and whatever triggered the problem would cause the router to go into funny modes and I could only get stable dhcp lease performance immediately after turning the router off/on to get rid of lease table info or something.

All I can suggest is to keep resetting the router like this before doing each step of testing - just to see if you get more consistent results.

partsman

#1010 Post by partsman »

Hello again all
Boy I feel like an ass ! :oops:
The network problem I have been Trying to figure out that i have described to you earlier does not seem to happen if you frugal install and soon as you get done with personal settings reboot and make your save file !
Boy do I feel like an idiot ! :oops: :oops: :oops:
Thanks for your info all very sorry ! :oops:
I was trying to start networking before making a save file :oops:
I have done 6 frugal installs my wireless worked every time !
Again thanks ! And very sorry been chasing a ghost ! :oops: :oops:
I will however upload another iso soon with the pmount fix !
I dont know if I will include updated xorg or not :?
Thanks again !