Lucid Puppy 525 and isolinux on older hardware.

Booting, installing, newbie
Indy'spup

Lucid Puppy 525 and isolinux on older hardware.

#1 Post by Indy'spup »

Oh Boy!!!

Am trying to put new life into an old notebook. yet it's not so old, runs WinXP like a champ. Although it also loads Puppy Linux 4.3.1 there are some crucial networking hardware missing..

the new Lucid Puppy 5.2.5 would not boot past the Isolinux boot screen echo. Infact none of the isolinux 4.x versions would boot at all.

Puppy Linux 4.3.1 ran great but I could not load a wireless network adapter to save my life!!

Yes I know there is a retro version, however I tried this and it lacks many new drivers, which ultimately didn't work for me..

So, in the end I injected a copy isolinux v3.8.6 (I believe the last development before going v4.xx) into the iso making it the boot loader and voila!! the Lucid Puppy 5.2.5 boots up and immediately loads the driver for a new Realtek USB wireless network adapter, after configuring I was indeed on the web..

Once the Live CD was booted and all hardware tested we ran the install to HDD to complete the project.
:)

Dell Inspiron7500 : Intel P3 650MHz : 512MB ram : 60GB HDD (ST960822A) and CD/DVD (Slimline Combo LSC-24091) : Realtek RTL8192S Wireless USB 2.0 Network Adapter