Lucid 525 Retro-2.6.30.5

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
cthisbear

#16 Post by cthisbear »

Billtoo:

http://www.datafilehost.com/

We have no restrictions such as a limited number of simultaneous downloads or limited download speed.
No excessive ads and no download timer. All 100% free.
Up to 100 MB per file
Unlimited file uploads
Unlimited file downloads
Your file is hosted forever as long as it gets downloaded at
least one time every 30 days
All file types allowed

Chris

Billtoo

Lucid 525 Retro-2.6.30.5

#17 Post by Billtoo »

cthisbear wrote:Billtoo:

http://www.datafilehost.com/

We have no restrictions such as a limited number of simultaneous downloads or limited download speed.
No excessive ads and no download timer. All 100% free.
Up to 100 MB per file
Unlimited file uploads
Unlimited file downloads
Your file is hosted forever as long as it gets downloaded at
least one time every 30 days
All file types allowed

Chris
Hi Chris, thanks for the info.
I uploaded the firefox-4.0.1-retro525.pet and the download link is:

http://www.datafilehost.com/download-3681f4de.html

After installing the pet run fixmenus in the terminal and the proper firefox entry will show up in the internet menu.

The pet works in the regular lucid 525 too.
Last edited by Billtoo on Mon 13 Jun 2011, 17:31, edited 1 time in total.

James C

Re: Lucid 525 Retro-2.6.30.5

#18 Post by James C »

Billtoo wrote:@James C

I made a firefox-4.0.1-retro525 pet, I followed the instructions playdayz gave in the howto thread, except not for any specific processor.
It's 14mb and too big to upload unless you have another way that I can get it to you?
Thanks for the pet. :)

Now mirrored on smokey01 and link added to first post.

svgt

Some programs quit without message on K6 machine

#19 Post by svgt »

Hi,

There are some problems with my old K6 retro machine:

Gparted, Write, Skype quit without messages.
Country localization for keyboard does not work.

The question is: May I use the Instant Update 001 for this retro release ?

Regards
Svgt

James C

Re: Some programs quit without message on K6 machine

#20 Post by James C »

svgt wrote:Hi,

There are some problems with my old K6 retro machine:

Gparted, Write, Skype quit without messages.
Country localization for keyboard does not work.

The question is: May I use the Instant Update 001 for this retro release ?

Regards
Svgt

Last question first, I'm running 3 installs of Lucid Retro and Instant Update 001 appears to be working correctly here on all three.

Those old K6 boxes have been somewhat problematic.See playdayz's post here
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 645#522645

I've done a little testing on my old K6-2 box and the K6pack and the e2fsprogs package got both Abiword and GParted working while running live pfix=ram.

K6pack
http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... -Lucid.pet

e2fsprogs
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... h&id=40826

jfh

No gui

#21 Post by jfh »

I tried Lucid 525 Retro-2.6.30.5. MSI P67A-GD65 (B3) motherboard, i7 2600k, Nvidia GTX 460 8 gig ram

I had to use pfix=ram to get it to boot. Load failed @ x. Tried probe: 800x and 1024x.
Tried Choose: Nvidia1024x, and vesa 800x and 1024x.
Used the vesa option also no changes.

My stuff too new for a retro package? Ah well it's not like the kennel isn't full here.:)

Oh yea, for comparison I can run Quirky, lupu525, Fatdog64, wary. I haven't tried any older versions on this machine.

Edit: Forgot to add md5sum matched on download and burn.

James C

Re: No gui

#22 Post by James C »

jfh wrote:I tried Lucid 525 Retro-2.6.30.5. MSI P67A-GD65 (B3) motherboard, i7 2600k, Nvidia GTX 460 8 gig ram

I had to use pfix=ram to get it to boot. Load failed @ x. Tried probe: 800x and 1024x.
Tried Choose: Nvidia1024x, and vesa 800x and 1024x.
Used the vesa option also no changes.

My stuff too new for a retro package? Ah well it's not like the kennel isn't full here.:)

Oh yea, for comparison I can run Quirky, lupu525, Fatdog64, wary. I haven't tried any older versions on this machine.

Edit: Forgot to add md5sum matched on download and burn.
Hmmmmm.Possible I guess.

I just booted Lucid Retro,live pfix-ram on my quad-core which is probably a little older and I'm posting from it now.I just chose "probe" and picked the resolution(1360x768).

Sun 15 May 2011 Operating System: Lucid Puppy-525 Linux 2.6.30.5
d.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation C61 [GeForce 7025 / nForce 630a] (rev a2)
oem: NVIDIA product: MCP61 - mcp61-86 Chip Rev

X Server: Xorg Driver: nv
X.Org version: 1.7.6
dimensions: 1360x768 pixels (411x232 millimeters)
depth of root window: 24 planes

AMD Athlon(tm) II X4 620 Processor
Core 0: 2611 1: 2611 2: 2611 3: 2611 MHz

...the above also recorded at '/tmp/root/report-video-glx'.

It's possible that your hardware is too new, luckily there are plenty of different pups to try.

jfh

Lucid 525 Retro-2.6.30.5

#23 Post by jfh »

OK. I tried it on a Toshiba laptop and all programs worked, all hardware was detected properly even a troublesome Realtek wireless chip that didn't even work in Vista which came on the machine.

Just for the fun of it I booted puppy-4.1.1-k2.6.25.16-seamonkey on the newer machine and it worked, not everything but it works. Rules out the tenuous too new theory.

bigpup

#24 Post by bigpup »

James C ,

Any plans to make some graphics drivers pets for this kernel, so you are given some choices in Quickpet-> drivers.
Nothing in that tab does anything except you can download and install Xorg-High driver.
All the others need compiled for the 2.6.30.5 kernel.

James C

#25 Post by James C »

bigpup wrote:James C ,

Any plans to make some graphics drivers pets for this kernel, so you are given some choices in Quickpet-> drivers.
Nothing in that tab does anything except you can download and install Xorg-High driver.
All the others need compiled for the 2.6.30.5 kernel.
Funny you should ask, 01micko is working on that very thing as time permits. see here......
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 642#521642

Spaccafumo

No /lib/keymaps

#26 Post by Spaccafumo »

The .iso file does not contain /lib/keymaps directory.
Attachments
it.gz
mkdir /lib/keymap and copy in it (this is only italian setting)
Or copy /lib/keymap from another puppy in 5.2.5
(835 Bytes) Downloaded 693 times

tallboy

#27 Post by tallboy »

Hi James C,
I see from the screenshot in the first post, that the kernel is 2.6.30.5 (i686). Does that mean it can't run on a pentium PII or PIII?

Tallboy.

James C

#28 Post by James C »

tallboy wrote:Hi James C,
I see from the screenshot in the first post, that the kernel is 2.6.30.5 (i686). Does that mean it can't run on a pentium PII or PIII?

Tallboy.
Lucid Retro has the kernel and all the drivers from Puppy 431 so it should run on fairly old hardware. My main test box is a 733 mhz P3 and I've successfully tested on an old 433 mhz Celeron box.
Because of the extra dialup modem drivers Lucid Retro is a bit larger than regular Lucid (or 431) so it needs more than 256 mb of ram to load totally into ram and free up the optical drive.
HTH.

tallboy

#29 Post by tallboy »

Thank you.

Tallboy.

tallboy

#30 Post by tallboy »

Which repositories in the Puppy Packet Manager can be used for packet download? Are there issues with any packages in the puppy-lucid section because of the kernel change? Do we have to use spesific packages for the retro Lupu?

I have never really understood how all packages in all repositories in the PPM are backward compatible with a newer puppy, I don't know if that is a Linux policy matter? If all are not compatible, why are they listed?

What about the 'Extras for Puppy 4.3 with the 2.6.30.5 kernel', can those packages be used as is, or do they need some modifications?

Can I use the Firefox-3.6.6-Lucid from the puppy-lucid repository, or are there other more suited 3.6 versions?

I know these are newbie-questions, earlier I have just downloaded with PPM, and used what I found without thinking (yeah, yeah, I admit), and I have never had any problem with ditching a package that didn't work as intended!

Tallboy.

James C

#31 Post by James C »

tallboy wrote:Which repositories in the Puppy Packet Manager can be used for packet download? Are there issues with any packages in the puppy-lucid section because of the kernel change? Do we have to use spesific packages for the retro Lupu?

I have never really understood how all packages in all repositories in the PPM are backward compatible with a newer puppy, I don't know if that is a Linux policy matter? If all are not compatible, why are they listed?

What about the 'Extras for Puppy 4.3 with the 2.6.30.5 kernel', can those packages be used as is, or do they need some modifications?

Can I use the Firefox-3.6.6-Lucid from the puppy-lucid repository, or are there other more suited 3.6 versions?

I know these are newbie-questions, earlier I have just downloaded with PPM, and used what I found without thinking (yeah, yeah, I admit), and I have never had any problem with ditching a package that didn't work as intended!

Tallboy.
Probably most all regular Lucid packages should work in Lucid Retro except drivers.....because drivers are kernel dependant.That's why we disabled the drivers from downloading with Quickpet.
I've tested the regular Lucid browser downloads in Retro....Firefox, SeaMonkey, Opera and Chrome and they all work.
Other than the drivers (video,network,etc.) the regular Lucid pet packages should work though.
Any drivers for the 2.6.30.5 kernel should work fine since the kernel and included drivers are straight out of Puppy 4.31.

tallboy

#32 Post by tallboy »

Thank you James C. I keep playing with my regular workhorse puppy dpup4.84beta4, and dpup-4.85 as well as 525 retro, all using the 2.6.30.5 kernel, great fun to compare!
I also test wary 5.12, lulpu_5.2.5 and sqzd_4.99.2. The leader in speed is wary_5.12, some apps is bang on the screen almost before the mouse is released, but the selection of dedicated packages is somewhat limited, though. The main thing is to have fun!

I have learnt to open any new program from console the first time, that way I always get feedback on missing libs or any other problems.

Tallboy.

Insomniacno1

#33 Post by Insomniacno1 »

Hi James, I have a few small problems with your Retro puppy lupu-525-2.6.30.5.iso. I got it from http://puppylinuxnews.org/puplets/

No problem booting the LiveCD, but when trying to make a full install universal installer can't find the lupu-525.sfs file. This I figured out were because of the naming, you used "-" instead of what universal installer looks for "_". So I copied the files to a secondary partion and renamed the lupu-525.sfs to lupu_525.sfs. And pointed universal installer to this partion for the files. Now no problem installing.

The question here is, can I edit the ISO file and rename the lupu-525.sfs to lupu_525.sfs without having problem when booting the liveCD(don't feel like wasting a cd).

Or could you upload a reversed copy:)
---------------------------------------------------

Other probleme is to get OpenGL to work with my 16MB ATI Rage 128 Pro AGP 4x card. Could I lure you over to this thread to help:

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 179#552179

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
I also got some trouble with wine, so could I lure you over to this thread to help:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 298#552298

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And then there is some trouble with the keyboard layout for danish or any other than US keyboard. It would seem that no matter what you change the keyboard layout to, it saves but doesn't stick - next time you look its back to US keyboard. So could I lure you over to this thread to help:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 308#552308

I hope you can help with this, taking in mind that this is your distro so you know how its "stringed" together:) The reason for all these threads is the admin Flash thought that the thread would get too large if I collected every problem in 1 thread.

I chose your puplet because I'm trying to set up a pc with CNC/CAD and I need to have no restrictions and OpenGL. Any other distro I have tried (and I have tried allot - used 1 month already on this, having to change to another for one or another reason, usually caused by restrictions).

My friend who asked me to set this up for him is impatiently hanging over my shoulders to see if I'm done with this pc:)

With kind regards

Jan[/url]

James C

#34 Post by James C »

Insomniacno1 wrote: The question here is, can I edit the ISO file and rename the lupu-525.sfs to lupu_525.sfs without having problem when booting the liveCD(don't feel like wasting a cd).
Sorry to say,it's not that easy.Wish it was....simply renaming the sfs results in a non-booting cd.I tried. :lol:
There is a mismatch in the sfs naming between the sfs,the installer and the initrd.gz.....I'll try to upload a new iso this weekend.
Other probleme is to get OpenGL to work with my 16MB ATI Rage 128 Pro AGP 4x card. Could I lure you over to this thread to help:
Since Lucid Retro has the kernel and drivers from Puppy 4.31 (2.6.30.5)
there should be some appropriate drivers floating around here in the forum.My boxes are mostly Nvidia but I'll see if I can find something to help.
I also got some trouble with wine
I don't use Wine but a lot of forum members do,help should be forthcoming.
And then there is some trouble with the keyboard layout for danish or any other than US keyboard. It would seem that no matter what you change the keyboard layout to, it saves but doesn't stick - next time you look its back to US keyboard. So could I lure you over to this thread to help:
Since the actual main sfs is untouched Lucid Puppy (except for the drivers and kernel modules) the procedure for changing the keyboard layout should be the same.I recall reading a number of posts about those problems in the regular Lucid threads.I'll see if I can find a way for the changes to be persistent.

Luckily there is a lot of knowledge on this forum....hopefully we can find some answers.

01micko

#35 Post by 01micko »

Insomniacno1

The X.org developers have more or less abandoned old AGP cards since xorg-7.4. All lucid based pups have xorg-7.5. Anything older than 5 or 6 years in an ATI or 7 or 8 years for an nvidia is pretty much unsupported. Wary or puppy 431 are the best chance at getting the old ATI working to full potential. That being said, I have found the open source radeon driver very good on my old radeon-9200 pro, with the Xorg_High driver. but that is a substantially more advanced card than the 16MB ATI Rage 128 Pro AGP 4x card.

HTH
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access