How use my Lucent Winmodem 56k?

AlteredAaron

How use my Lucent Winmodem 56k?

#1 Post by AlteredAaron »

Hello, I'm new at this, I just tried this today for the first time.

I booted my computer using the Lucid Puppy 5.2.5 live CD and everything worked fine until I got to the part where it didn't detect my modem. I tried clicking on the "connect" icon on the desktop, and then the "Probe" button once inside the connection program, but it still didn't find anything. Other than that, I'm quite impressed with the desktop and the applications included. And I still had like 184 MB ram to spare.

As far as my computer setup goes, here's what I'm dealing with:

HP Pavilion 7845 (The computer itself, older model from 2001)
Windows Me
Pentium III 866 MHz
384 Mb RAM
PCI Lucent Win Modem 56k
40 Gig Hard Drive

Is there any hope for getting the modem to work?

Any input would be much appreciated.

Ibidem

Note the "WinModem"--semi-usable (or pick a different Puppy)

#2 Post by Ibidem »

Short version:
Very difficult...with regular Puppy versions.
You need to get a driver or two from Linuxant, compiled against your kernel.
The right drivers are either "HCF" or "HSF".
The drivers can be found at http://www.linuxant.com/drivers/, but you'd need to grab the "devx" package to install it, and perhaps some other stuff...

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=62630 --Wary puppy (http://bkhome.org/blog/?viewDetailed=02057)has the driver

Long version:
There are two kinds of modems:
1. Hardware "Hayes compatible" modems--mostly serial or USB (USRobotics, especially).
These have an interface where the computer sends a certain set of commands, and the modem handles everything else. They work fine with Linux.
2. Softmodems/Winmodems/Linmodems--mostly PCI; Lucent is notorious here.
These actually have a driver handling everything, and then pretending to be a serial modem so as to fool the dial-up software into working. Drivers are very sparse for these, when running Linux; "Win Modem" means that Lucent only supported using Windows with them, so you have to get a driver from Linuxant (use a "demo" version, 14.4k or pay $20)
Last edited by Ibidem on Mon 23 May 2011, 02:52, edited 1 time in total.

rcrsn51

Re: Getting my modem to work

#3 Post by rcrsn51 »

AlteredAaron wrote:PCI Lucent Win Modem 56k ...Is there any hope for getting the modem to work?
I expect that you will need to try a Puppy that still supports old hardware, like Wary or maybe something from the 4.x series.

AlteredAaron

#4 Post by AlteredAaron »

Thanks for replying. From what I gather, this modem stuff just isn't worth the hassle. :(

The good thing is that Lucid Puppy detected my "*Realtek Ethernet Adapter." In that case, if I got a high speed cable modem, I could use Puppy to surf the web, right?

That's assuming that a store-bought cable modem would even work on this computer or with Windows Me :?:

*Realtek RTL8139(A) PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter (I hope it's not too old a model)

Py

#5 Post by Py »

I use an external 56k serial modem (D-Link) and Puppy detects it. I recall reading that for dialup, external serial modems are easier to setup (or to make work) with Linux.

tech_jnke2

#6 Post by tech_jnke2 »

aaron, get you a creative modem v.92 or 56k, puppy will work with it no problem . also you need to use puppy 4.3.1 version, it handles the older equipment and has alot of drivers for modems in it.

but glad to see someone not letting a older piece of equipment go to the land fill if it's still got some use in it.

setting a modem up in puppy isn't bad at all , but one thing is will your isp allow you to run puppy on it's network, some isp's won't it's winders or nothing not even a mac. just make sure before you go buying anything and trying it and nothing works or connects because of your isp.