Fatdog 64 printing stopped and CUPS server error

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
joerice50

Fatdog 64 printing stopped and CUPS server error

#1 Post by joerice50 »

Hi All

Printing has stopped working and CUPs reports server error on http://localhost:631/admin.

I presume there is some access error to the relevant files, is there a way of reestablishing access?

Happy New Year

Joe Rice

rcrsn51

#2 Post by rcrsn51 »

This is usually due to your installing some third party package that has corrupted the Puppy filesystem. Read here for some ideas.

joerice50

#3 Post by joerice50 »

Hi

Thanks for the link to the fix advice, but I couldn't get the chmod instruction to work, I just couldn't work around the access privileges required to use it.

So I started Fatdog with savefile = none which gave me access to CUPS so after restoring all my local settings and setting up the printer I tied to save the savefile! Again, I couldn't get the privileges to save over the existing savefile, so I saved to the alternate disk drive.

I now have an option of which savefile to use at boot-up but the printing is now fixed.

I would be grateful for a pointer to where I can learn about getting privileges to overwrite existing savefiles?

Cheers and thanks for the help

Joe Rice

rcrsn51

#4 Post by rcrsn51 »

Once this CUPS-related corruption occurs, it is often simplest to start over with a clean install. But keep track of what additional packages you install in case it happens again.

When you booted with "savefile=none" you could have deleted the current savefile, then made a new one.