SolidPup 5.1.1-B Lite and OBXF

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Tman

#241 Post by Tman »

Solidpup 511B rc2 is out...

Quite a few changes. I will make a Solidpup devx soon, but you can also use the devx addon in conjunction with the wary_devx_511.sfs

I will leave this one around for a while, and if there are no major bugs, I will just change the name and make it final.

... next to recompile gnumeric, make and Nvidia driver pet and then work on the non-Lite version.

pchan

sound and video

#242 Post by pchan »

Hi,

I'm using Acer one netbook (happy2 model /ze6).

The beta 2.7 works well for me.

As for the beta 3.1, I cannot get my headphone sound to work.

Another issue I face is that some mp4 plays inside a small frame even if i switch to full screen mode.

The feature i like and cannot find in other puppy is that after installation through package manager, there is a pause before deleting the downloaded installation files. the dialogue box will appear giving me a choice whether i would like to save. I like this feature as well as the lightness of wary.

Thanks

yr1945

#243 Post by yr1945 »

many Thanks Tman...

the pet that i am having problems with is GnomeOffice-w511.pet...

fyi... i recently uninstalled the above pet and installed gnumeric-1.10.9-w5.pet... right clicks also caused the spreadsheets to crash...

also, fyi... these same 2 gnumeric pets worked fine on a Saluki with no Adrive... where, i just loaded a few pets that i normally use...

Tman

#244 Post by Tman »

yr1945 wrote:many Thanks Tman...

the pet that i am having problems with is GnomeOffice-w511.pet...

fyi... i recently uninstalled the above pet and installed gnumeric-1.10.9-w5.pet... right clicks also caused the spreadsheets to crash...

also, fyi... these same 2 gnumeric pets worked fine on a Saluki with no Adrive... where, i just loaded a few pets that i normally use...
Okay, thanks for the report. It must have been something I did then. Now...to figure out what I did, is the tricky part.

pchan

When you get a chance, can you test the headphone sound in version rc2?
I am not sure what the problem would be. but it could be just different mplayer config settings, or maybe it's becuase of the different ffmpeg and mplayer.
Anyhow, in rc2, I recompiled ffmpeg and mplayer, so hopefully it will work for you.
Remember: start in pristine boot mode (pfix=ram). Old save files can corrupt newer versions of the same pup.

Tman

#245 Post by Tman »

I have compiled Abiword-2.8.6, Goffice-0.8.17, and Gnumeric-1.10.17 in Solidpup 511B rc2.
The pet has needed libgsf which needs newer libxml2. I have included both in the pet.

I have made these specifically for Solidpup.
It is not intended for other pups and might be incompatable
...but you can try if you like.

You can install the new pet from Office->Get Gnome-Office or...
you can also download the pet, along with DEV,DOC, and NLS pets from -> here

I have only checked to make sure insert row works okay in Gnumeric, and did some quick testing in Abiword.
To be honest, I don't use those apps very often, taking notes in a simple text editor is usually my method.
So those who are familiar with those apps, please try them and report bugs if you find them...I can't help with printer bugs though.

EDIT: I just did some testing. It seems that the new gnome-office pet break things in the older Solidpup (A versions).
Please don't download GnomeOffice-2.0-solid511B.pet for the older Solidpups
and after I've updated so many libs in the B version, the 2 are no longer compatable. This means that the gnome office pets won't work for WaryTiny either.
I am pondering of a solution to solve this issue, so I can have the Get Gnome Office downloader have compatable versions for both pups.
-
Last edited by Tman on Tue 23 Oct 2012, 00:59, edited 4 times in total.

Tman

#246 Post by Tman »

Okay, I think I've solved the Gnumeric issue.
I have repacked the GnomeOffice-w511.pet with an older Gnumeric...this should work for both newer and older Solidpups.
I have made a separate pet for the newer Solidpup511-B versions, but for now the Get Gnome-Office will only download the version with the older Gnumeric.
For Solidpup511-B, you need to install the patch below to get the newer GnomeOffice.

** I repeat, the patch is only for the newer Solidpups 511-B versions

For manual downloads, the links are as follows:

http://www.smokey01.com/Tman/apps/Wary5 ... e-w511.pet

http://www.smokey01.com/Tman/apps/Wary5 ... id511B.pet
Attachments
GetGnomeOffice_patch-0.1-solid511B.pet
(1.54 KiB) Downloaded 552 times

yr1945

#247 Post by yr1945 »

Tman... you are AMAZING!!!

I installed your new gnumeric packages and they work perfectly.... for both Solidpup and WaryTiny.

I now have my spreadsheets updated... THANKS again for your dedication, persistence and hard work. It is greatly appreciated.

Arefacti

Hurray

#248 Post by Arefacti »

Finally a Puppy distribution entirely good for me!
thanks.
I tried a lot of, once the encryption didn't work, once the web !
once..they were ugly (for me).

But SolidPup : YES !

just a detail, perhaps help someone ?

I get a eeepc 1000 with ralink RT 2800

I use ndiswrapper with X P driver and :
frisbee to get the web.

Many thanks for your job !
I follow you know :wink:

Tman

#249 Post by Tman »

Arefacti wrote:Finally a Puppy distribution entirely good for me!
thanks.
Come on, you are exaggerating. I do believe if you search, you will find some other pups out there that you will like too.
yr1945 wrote:Tman... you are AMAZING!!!
No, not really. I see myself as a medium sized fish in a fairly small pond...a man standing on the shoulders of a giant named Barry Kauler.
I am just trying to catch-up/keep-up with some heavy (friendly) competition... 01micko, Jemimah, Pemasu and other talented devs.

There are still bugs; I'm sure there will always be bugs. But I'm quite content with how things have progressed so far.
Thank you both for the compliments. I'm glad that you don't find my pup to be a "piece of garbage". :lol:

greengeek

#250 Post by greengeek »

Thanks for the time you've been putting into all this lately Tman - it takes so much time to nut out the issues and cobble it all together and we love what you've been doing with Solidpup.

Arefacti

#251 Post by Arefacti »

Tman wrote:Come on, you are exaggerating. I do believe if you search, you will find some other pups out there that you will like too.

certainly! macpup is nice too, but the encryption does not work, some have a lot of other problem like wifi, full're ugly!
it is sure that i had to get myself frisbee (which gives me full satisfaction for the wifi), and I'd like to choose iron in browsers, but these are only personal choices.
Your distribution is cool enough that I stop looking for other now! :wink:

Arefacti

serious problem with wbar

#252 Post by Arefacti »

HA ! HA ! I have a problem on YOUR distribution and VERY serious !! (joke)

why wbar is not above the other windows ?
it's strange because the .wbar files line seems good :

wbar --bpress --above-desk --pos top --grow --isize 36 --idist 5 --zoomf 1,000000 --balfa 0

In fact, really, it's a pity, because of that the wbar no use..

HA ! HA !

<
<
<
<
<
<
<
<
<
<
<
<
<
<
<
<
<

:twisted:
:wink:

greengeek

Re: serious problem with wbar

#253 Post by greengeek »

Arefacti wrote:why wbar is not above the other windows ?
Left click the clock at the right hand end of the tray and then the wbar is accessible.

(secret, hidden feature...)

Arefacti

Re: serious problem with wbar

#254 Post by Arefacti »

greengeek wrote:
Arefacti wrote:why wbar is not above the other windows ?
Left click the clock at the right hand end of the tray and then the wbar is accessible.

(secret, hidden feature...)
:|

seems to me that you talk about tint2, no ?
but perhaps I don't understand my english is "nul".

I talk about the wbar

Tman

#255 Post by Tman »

Arefacti,

If you are in Tint2, left mouse-click on the clock and all windows will minimize, giving you access to wbar. Left click-on the clock a second time, and your windows will be restored.

In icewm, the "Show Desktop" button, next to the main menu button does the same thing.

Sorry, I do not believe that current versions of wbar have an option to be displayed on the top-most layer of the desktop. Using the Show Desktop function is the next best thing.

Arefacti

#256 Post by Arefacti »

Tman wrote:Arefacti,

If you are in Tint2, left mouse-click on the clock and all windows will minimize, giving you access to wbar. Left click-on the clock a second time, and your windows will be restored.

In icewm, the "Show Desktop" button, next to the main menu button does the same thing.

Sorry, I do not believe that current versions of wbar have an option to be displayed on the top-most layer of the desktop. Using the Show Desktop function is the next best thing.
Thanks for your answer Tman.
I believed that with the option : --above-desk
we got the wbar always above all the other windows.

perhaps cairo ? perhaps I'll try to install it..if I'll found it :lol:

Tman

#257 Post by Tman »

Arefacti wrote:Arefacti,
Yes, I thought so too, but it seems that option only makes wbar display above the wallpaper, and above the Rox Pinboard.. not above any open windows.

I had in the back of mind the following combination for a different desktop environment:
Rox Session/Rox Pinboard + Openbox + xfce panel... But that is for a later time.

The xfce panel, with its new drag-and-drop feature, could be an alternative for wbar. This combo should be lighter than the full Xfce desktop environment.

Arefacti

#258 Post by Arefacti »

Tman wrote:
Arefacti wrote:Arefacti,
Yes, I thought so too, but it seems that option only makes wbar display above the wallpaper, and above the Rox Pinboard.. not above any open windows.

I had in the back of mind the following combination for a different desktop environment:
Rox Session/Rox Pinboard + Openbox + xfce panel... But that is for a later time.

The xfce panel, with its new drag-and-drop feature, could be an alternative for wbar. This combo should be lighter than the full Xfce desktop environment.
great, understanding
perhaps later, so :wink:
Thanks !

Tman

#259 Post by Tman »

Here is a teaser pic of ROX + Openbox + xfce4-panel. :)

The base is done, but it still need to fix the menus, becuase so many items are in the "Other" menu. This desktop environment will be available by default in the non-Lite version.
Attachments
Openbox_Xfce4panel.jpg
(90.44 KiB) Downloaded 682 times

Arefacti

#260 Post by Arefacti »

GREAT !
sure it will be appreciate a lot ! :D