SolidPup 5.1.1-B Lite and OBXF

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
oligin10

missing opera libs

#121 Post by oligin10 »

Hi all, there has been a problem for a while about missing libs for flash player for Opera. Can't remember where, but there are a couple places here on the forum to download the .pet for this. Here it is, hope it helps.
Thanks, Rob

greengeek

#122 Post by greengeek »

Thanks Oligin10, that did the trick - Opera is now perfect!
I installed the necessary items in this order:
Opera first (Right click desktop / Internet / Get Internet Apps),
Missing Libs pet second,
Flashplayer third (Right click desktop / Internet / Get Internet Apps).

Tman, this TINT2 puppy is awesome. This would now be my first recommendation for anyone with a PC of similar age to mine (about 10 years). To be honest I think I prefer the appearance and driveablity of TINT2 ahead of the full SolidPup. It is trim, tight and fast. Really nice job.

zenn

#123 Post by zenn »

greengeek wrote:.
Tman, this TINT2 puppy is awesome. This would now be my first recommendation for anyone with a PC of similar age to mine (about 10 years). To be honest I think I prefer the appearance and driveablity of TINT2 ahead of the full SolidPup. It is trim, tight and fast. Really nice job.
I heartily agree. I got used to running Tint2 on a 400mhz celeron with 192mb ram. But vnc and samba were asking too much from it so I changed to a 2.4ghz P4 with 768mb ram. And now it flies (relatively)!

As a sidenote, I've no idea why I get a better experience surfing the web through Seamonkey on Tint2 than on Wary 5.3. The browser felt strangely sluggish to user input when I was using Wary. That was 1 of the main reasons why I switched back to Tint2. Granted, I didn't try out other browsers to narrow the causes.

Gnuxo

#124 Post by Gnuxo »

Hi all, just installed this. *Tint2 version* Manual frugal. Replaced default wary.

Not really sure what my first steps should be here.
A lot of the packages are out of date. Any tips on other apps to add?

I'm thinking that the iso could be even smaller if Thunar and Lxterminal weren't included.
For a very light copy/paste terminal, I usually use EvilVte.
I only ever use other file managers for symlinking and MC is good for that.

I'm also interested in why Links is never the default browser, it's faster and lighter then Dillo.

Gnuxo

#125 Post by Gnuxo »

Hi all, just installed this. *Tint2 version* Manual frugal. Replaced default wary.

Not really sure what my first steps should be here.
A lot of the packages are out of date. Any tips on other apps to add?

I'm thinking that the iso could be even smaller if Thunar and Lxterminal weren't included.
For a very light copy/paste terminal, I usually use EvilVte.
I only ever use other file managers for symlinking and MC is good for that.

I'm also interested in why Links is never the default browser, it's faster and lighter then Dillo.

Sorry for the double post, Dillo froze on me.

greengeek

#126 Post by greengeek »

Gnuxo wrote: Any tips on other apps to add?
So far I have installed QElectrotech and it is now working after I added a wary5 QT pet.

Then I added Scribus but still haven't found all the dependencies that are preventing it from running, and also tried the qupzilla you referred to in the Mage post but I haven't hit on the right libs that are missing for that either.

There's a lot I don't understand about how to identify if a particular lib is the correct one, even if it shares the same name as the one a program is asking for. So I'm stumbling around a bit while I educate myself about these matters.

I mainly use TINT2 as a means to get on the internet quickly and copy my files around. I'm also using it to trial the "load sfs-on-the-fly" function - to try and find out which office and browser sfs's work best.

Gnuxo

#127 Post by Gnuxo »

@GreenGeek

I am using Qupzilla right now off Solid Pup.

I installed the QT4.8 package. The basic one is fine. Nothing needs to be fancy.

http://www.smokey01.com/pemasu/pet_pack ... t-dpup.pet

The newest Qupzilla.
http://www.smokey01.com/pemasu/pet_pack ... -1.3.1.pet

Enjoy please :)

greengeek

#128 Post by greengeek »

Gnuxo wrote:I am using Qupzilla right now off Solid Pup.
SolidPup or still posting on SolidPupTINT2? Thanks

Also, the .pet you suggest for the QT libs - that is from Debian repos isn't it? I have been trying QT libs for W5 and one of Pemasus Lucid QT 4.8 pets. Am I doing the wrong thing?

Gnuxo

#129 Post by Gnuxo »

You'd have to ask Pemasu about that.

...Are you installing both at the same time? I hope not.

There is a full .sfs buried somewhere in the Exprimo thread.

I was actually meaning to get on Lazypup and craft a new large QT.sfs which includes a lot of QT apps.

For small systems like Solid pup, I think that would be key.

I just crashed X again trying to install Smplayer on Solidpup. Time to delete the save file. :lol:

greengeek

#130 Post by greengeek »

Gnuxo wrote:...Are you installing both at the same time? I hope not.
Of course! More is better , right?

:-)

OK, I will delete them both and try installing the same one you did.

Gnuxo

#131 Post by Gnuxo »

OK, I will delete them both and try installing the same one you did.
That's more like it.

Do not install more then one version of the same library, that can cause breakage.

Except in cases like Python, because different versions of Python are completely different from each other.

greengeek

#132 Post by greengeek »

Gnuxo wrote:Except in cases like Python, because different versions of Python are completely different from each other.
Ok, thanks. The error I got from Scribus was something to do with "check if python is installed". I will get qupzilla and QElectrotech sorted first, then attack Scribus again later.

greengeek

#133 Post by greengeek »

Gnuxo wrote:I installed the QT4.8 package. The basic one is fine. Nothing needs to be fancy.
http://www.smokey01.com/pemasu/pet_pack ... t-dpup.pet
O.K, I deleted my wary5 version of QT, and Pemasu's Lucid 4.8 QT pet, and installed Pemasu's other one you have mentioned here instead, and now both Qupzilla and QElectrotech work well. Excellent.

Actually - I quite like Qupzilla - it is pretty fast. I guess some people would not find it pretty, but I favour good functionality over prettiness. It's good.

(One thing that I just noticed though - it doesn't seem to be displaying .jpg images that are embedded in this forum. PNGs display ok, but not the jpgs. Might be something temporary with the forum? Will check another browser)

Gnuxo

#134 Post by Gnuxo »

I don't see why it would have problems displaying Jpegs.
Hopefully it won't be an issue.

greengeek

#135 Post by greengeek »

Qupzilla 1.3.0 definitely not displaying jpegs. If I go to the first page of this topic and look at Tman's second post I cannot see the multicoloured screenshot that is normally there. And facebook is missing almost every image. PNGs display fine. Might have to try 1.3.1

EDIT:Still have the same problem in 1.3.1

greengeek

#136 Post by greengeek »

I love the way Solidpup lets you right click on an iso file and immediately check the md5 sum. Nice feature.

Gnuxo

#137 Post by Gnuxo »

I wonder if the issue is due to the pet Pemasu made or if it's an upstream issue.
I've never noticed any issues with Jpegs in Qupzilla though.

greengeek

#138 Post by greengeek »

Gnuxo - if you use SolidPup and Qupzilla and look at P1 of this topic does your display show the jpg desktop image that Tman attached to his second post?

Tman

#139 Post by Tman »

Wow, I wasn't expecting for this thread to get so busy all of the sudden.
Thanks ogilin10 for the explanation on Flash not working with Opera; I checked out your pets and recognize those missing libs, as Firefox contains them in its own separate folder.

Gnuxo and greengeek. I haven't tested QT 4.8 and Qupzilla, but if the jpegs show properly in Exprimo, then it is just an incompatability issue between the Exprimo libs and Wary libs. (libjpeg would be my first guess).

If jpegs don't show up in Exprimo, then the problem would most likely be that the Qupzilla pet is buggy.

Gnuxo

#140 Post by Gnuxo »

Tman,

The Qupzilla pet is not buggy. I'm in Exprimo and the jpegs look good.
If anything, it's probably a library issue. But I don't really pay attention to those minut details so I'm fine with how Qupzilla works in Solidpup.